The reason why BB didn't draft Pass rush!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bonitated. Show bonitated's posts

Re: The reason why BB didn't draft Pass rush!!

I beleive that BB is trying to prove the whole nfl wrong and try to win a superbowl with no pass rush.  By the way how many playoff games have the Pats won since the departure of Parcells???I think Parcells was the brains behind the draft and BB the d guru.  BB;s drafts haven't been earth shaking a lot of misfires on his value picks.  Value pick is the code word for cheaper players and more money for Bob Kraft.  The jets are the beast of the east now primarilly because of their defense and have beaten the Pats at home to knock us out of the playoffs 2 years in a row.  Think of that at home 2 times in a row....Still no WR to stretch the field I don't know what BB is thinking during this draft...I hope there is a few players during free agency that he is looking at to supplement this young team..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

There we several DL people taken in the first and second round.  They are replacing someone on their respective teams.  Some good verteran players will be cut.  The Patriots need veterans right now, not more rookies.  BB is a master at picking up these players with one or two more years left in them.  Next year will be a good year to build with youth on the DL.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: The reason why BB didn't draft Pass rush!!:
    In Response to Re: The reason why BB didn't draft Pass rush!! : Babe, I might be wrong, but I dont remember ANYONE yelling for Matthews in that draft.  I heard many names spoken, but not his.  Now, after the fact people bring it up and regret it, but I really dont remember any from then.  Now if I missed someone that was blowing his horn, I am sorry, but I just dont remember it and am too lazy to dig up that draft thread to see.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I was calling out for Matthews but I was also calling for Hughes, Kindle and Misi last year so can't say I'm always right on pass rushers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: The reason why BB didn't draft Pass rush!! : All 3 USC LBs were highly desirable, and Pat fans have been begging for a top LB for years now.
    Posted by BabeParilli

I know we have wanted a top OLB for years, I am on that list.  Other than Patseng, I dont remember Matthews being the one called out for by us.  Many thought he had talent, but was too small and should be in a 4-3.   It is easy years later to say "yeah we should have grabbed him"  but many said that at the time of the draft about Gholston, Maybin, Groves, and many more that were all flops . 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffory. Show jeffory's posts

Nathan! Please learn how to spell. The Pats got very good players and the defense as a whole will improve due to maturity.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnadams09. Show johnadams09's posts

Did everyone forget Ty Warren? He missed all of  last year. I'll take him over anyone in this years draft. The Pats must be confidant that he's healthy. With Warren and Wilfork side by side again, it will open things up for the linebackers.
     College OLBs are usually too small to play that position in the pros anyway.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I didn't want Clay, he looked like a girl with that hair of his. But I wanted the Hawaiian LB from USC. He has hair like a girl too, but he's Hawaiian so it's cool. 

Also, Ty Warren isn't a pass-rusher. I doubt he became one by sitting on his butt for a year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seajere. Show seajere's posts

As some of the more recent posts have indicated there's more to this draft than who a team drafted for whatever reason. The lockout has been restored - thanks GW - so nobody knows when we'll be able to see how these picks will perform in an NFL atmosphere let alone an NFL game preseason or real.
    If the lockout ends in the next two weeks or so things will get back to normal I suppose but what of the rookie wages? Who is going to sign or hold out? Will a rookie bring suit if there is a scale?
    What if the lock out continues thru the summer and we begin training in late August or September?
    I have no answer to any of the above but I do know that what our Pats have done is wise. We've got some talent in areas of need if and when they're able to report and loaded for next year's draft. Our current roster is as good as any if the scenario is a delayed start. Weren't we 14-2? 
    Not bad I say.
    I'd add more in terms of our rookie stats, available FA's etc but I've changed venues for a bit and have spent the day in a hammock under a huge mango tree on an island in the South China Sea. Internet server is too slow for me to get the info.
    So relax all you naysayers. Life is good. Go Pats!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

I beleive that BB is trying to prove the whole nfl wrong and try to win a superbowl with no pass rush.  By the way how many playoff games have the Pats won since the departure of Parcells???I think Parcells was the brains behind the draft and BB the d guru.  BB;s drafts haven't been earth shaking a lot of misfires on his value picks.  Value pick is the code word for cheaper players and more money for Bob Kraft.  The jets are the beast of the east now primarilly because of their defense and have beaten the Pats at home to knock us out of the playoffs 2 years in a row.  Think of that at home 2 times in a row....Still no WR to stretch the field I don't know what BB is thinking during this draft...I hope there is a few players during free agency that he is looking at to supplement this young team..
    Posted by bonitated

The Pats won all three of their Superbowls after Parcells left  - just a clarification - also, it might interest you to know that 3 Superbowls is one more than the Tuna won

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Posted by bonitated

14.  3 of which resulted in Super Bowl Championships.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrboston76. Show mrboston76's posts

Does Bill have a non-drafted invitee (from the local area) in mind? The pass rush obviously wasn't a great concern, or Bill would have addressed it the way that all of us arm chair coaches would have. He's always taken the best player available while addressing the holes on the team. With the return of some of the injured, the progression of younger players, free agents to be evaluated and the leftovers that other teams drop, the local Minuteman will be firing their musketts a plenty. "In Bill we trust"...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

This was a pure need draft..with no free agency in sight...BB went hard filling those needs. Solder, a day one LT (gulp), Ras-I (love the name) a need, and  the RB's, an obvious need. BB rebuilt TE's, LB's, and DB's and RB's in two years. Thank you Matt Light, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor for all you have done.How does this team look if we get a serious "leap" in improvement from Cunningham, Spikes, McCourty(yes, possible),Gronk, Chico,Pryor,Brace, Chung,Deaderick, Fletch,even Butler and others come back healthy and ready.....not too bad I think.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Posted by bonitated

Clearly you are clueless about the Pats playoff history by your lack of knowledge of how many playoff games and Super Bowls the Pats have actually won under BB, and to state that BB is trying to win a SB without a pass rush is even more laughable. Also, Parcells left the Pats after the 1996 season and BB took over in 2000. You must be a latent Jets fan.

Hetchinspete   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I admit to definitely NOT wanting Mathews in the 1st round. He was a 1 year wonder, had put on a ton of muscle weight over a 2 year span. So people were wondering if he had "fortified" his diet with supplements. He's been much better in the Pros than @ USC.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

I'm not saying I wanted this guy either, but I remember watching his pre draft workouts and highlights and thinking this guy is going to be better than the other two linebackers that were from USC. I also would not of been surprised in the least if we had drafted him. You should of seen this guy in workouts...just a pure natural athlete/ freak of nature and of course he had the blood lines as well..unlike the other two.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

What have we become? We now hope and pray scrubs somehow become the second coming of Tom Brady, but on defense. And we had the resources to get a guy like Quinn but our genius was too mega-brilliant to go for that. Just like he was too brilliant to bother with Matthews. Get used to what you have seen for too many years now. Only luck can win us a SB at this point, thanks to the bungled drafts of so many years.
    Posted by BabeParilli

Last year's draft was horrible, good analysis...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I hear a lot of people saying Vereen is a faulk clone, but he's much bigger at 210 lbs. I think you'll see Vereen compete with BJGE on downs 1 and 2 and provide a more shifty and elusive option. Woodhead is an outstanding third down back so I would think his role is pretty safe. 

The four guys we'll appreciate out of this draft are Solder(eventually), Cannon (a future all-pro for many years), Vereen (Faulk clone, and hopefully he'll block and catch passes almost as good as KF) and Mallet (a future #1 draft choice via trade to some QB hungry team, once he stays clean and sober for a couple of years while a Pat). I'm just not sold on Dowling (he belongs in a MASH unit) and Ridley is insurance against free agency and old age of their remaining crew of elder statemen RB's. The other two are training camp cannon fodder.
    Posted by jfaust1954

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

such as who? In Response to Re: The reason why BB didn't draft Pass rush!! :
    Posted by artielang

I expect that the Pats are going to have to be players in the FA market this year. There are several DL/OLB's I could see them going after. Jenkins(GB), Kiwanuka(NYG), C.Johnson(CAR), Woodley(Pitt), or Hali(KC) are just a few names off the top of my head that would more than fill the pass rush roles they need.  Go Pats!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In Response to Re: The reason why BB didn't draft Pass rush!! : I expect that the Pats are going to have to be players in the FA market this year. There are several DL/OLB's I could see them going after. Jenkins(GB), Kiwanuka(NYG), C.Johnson(CAR), Woodley(Pitt), or Hali(KC) are just a few names off the top of my head that would more than fill the pass rush roles they need.  Go Pats!
    Posted by wonderdrums

Oh yeah, let me clarify because I know how everyone likes to nipick everything from spelling to stats. I'm aware that not all these players are FA's yet but once the CBA is is place they could be. I'm sure BB has a list of players agents on speed dial once the bigger picture becomes more clear. Go Pats!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Why? Free Agent Pickups:

Outside Linebacker/Defensive End

Want to take a stab at guessing the Patriots’ top four pass rushers in 2010? Go ahead, take a guess. Did you say: Mike Wright (+10.7), Rob Ninkovich (+5.7), Kyle Love (+2.0), and Dane Fletcher (+1.7)? Did you even get one of them? Doubt it. After losing Mike Wright – PFF’s top interior lineman in terms of www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/16/pass-rushing-productivity-3/">Pass Rushing Productivity – to a head injury in week 11, the Patriots were left without a player whose pass rush rating ranked higher than 15th.

The Patriots’ inability to get to the passer with any regularity was one of the major reasons they were among the bottom three teams in terms of passing yards allowed per game. In fact, if not for stellar play from rookie Devin McCourty (7th best CB coverage rating) the Patriots may have challenged the Texans for the dubious distinction of being the worst pass defense team in the league. The point is, if you don’t have a player able to pressure the quarterback without having to send the blitz, then you give the quarterback too much time to find an open receiver. Moreover, if you’re forced to blitz to generate pressure then you’re giving the quarterback an opportunity to burn you by finding the openings left by blitzing defenders.

In their three losses, the Patriots pass rush (QB sacks + QB hits + QB Pressures) averaged 9.33, or about half as effective as in their wins 16.5.

The Patriots could look to one of their two first round picks to address their pass rushing woes, or to a couple of free agents. The best two available free agents “fits” for the Patriots are Cullen Jenkins and Manny Lawson. Jenkins amassed the second most QB disruptions of all 3-4 defensive ends and the 3-4 OLB Lawson seemed to find his groove last year as he generated more QB pressure on a per play basis then guys like Clay Matthews, James Harrison and Cameron Wake.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/04/22/help-wanted-new-england-patriots/

Sections
Shortcuts