The Run Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

The Run Game

Unless something changes, as in injury or some extreme circumstance, we should have a top 5  rushing attack in football this year. I do not mean the traditional sense of only rushing, but Vareen should be a 50 plus catch RB.

Ridley and Vareen could be the best 1-2 punch in the league. I think Rid is a lock for 1,200 yards and 10 plus tds. I think Vareen will end up with over 1,100 total yards. With the receiving core being so young and new to the team and Gronk being injured, Vareen could be a focal point of the offense for the 1st few weeks. He has soft hands, break away speed, good agility and can run well enough between the tackles.

With defense's committing to the running backs the pass catchers will see more single coverage or holes in the zone. Brady's completion % should be higher as last year was his worst in 7 years. at 63%

I heard Jim Miller on Sirius say Brady has thrown 186 passes since dual practice with the Bucs started. 186 without an INT. Well tack on 12 more tonight.

With an added dimension to our offense Brady will be shooting fish in a barrel. No more rush 4 drop 7. Play action will run rampant. Go Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Re: The Run Game

This has the making of a nice balanced offense...I just hope the playcalling doesn't become predictable with the subbing of players..doesn't it feel good having 5 RB that can catch the ball too?

" Don't Judge Me Untill You've Become Perfect "

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If they can run when the running is tough, I'll be happy. I haven't seen that in a long time.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agree with all above, it will be interesting to see who gets that final roster spot or if they carry five?  I think it's also interesting Leo doesn't want them to become predictable and Babe wants them to run when it's tough, I think those two requests are one in the same.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

So far, so good.  I'm especially pleased that through 2 preseason games Ridley hasn't used his spin move once.  Hopefully that has been lost for good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Christopher Price @cpriceNFL

Shane Vereen is averaging 8 yards every time he touches the ball this preseason. (7 carries 41 yds & 6 catches 64 yds). 13 touches-105 yds.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

There was one glaring, in my opinion, change in the Pats' offensive philosophy in these first two pre-season games..   they RAN!!!  How surprised was everyone in the Philliy game the first series was all run and resulted in a TD that possession?  Did anyone think the Pats would drive 80 yards without the benefit of at least one pass play?  Next series, more passes.  Last night's game saw a fairly ballanced mix.  Looks like Vareen is going to be a head ache out of the backfield for opposing D's in the passing game and a beast for YAC.  When the first team for the Pats has been on the field these two games, has anyone felt it lost a step with Welker, Hern and Gronk gone?  Seems not so far.  A great sign!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We have better weapons to run, we have better weapons to pass or rather Tom has.  We've known we could pass since 2001, we haven't always had the means or willingness to do both.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We know the left side of the OL is nasty with Mankins and Solder, but imagine how nasty the right side would be with a healthy Cannon next to Vollmer....

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah they might not be top5 in straight rushing, though I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they were on the upper end of that group, but I agree, if you add in what Vereen is going to be able to do getting flexed out of the backfield in 11 packages and 2TE, I could see something like a team with the most "all-purpose" RB yards. 

The triumverate of Ridley, Vereen, and Blount looks really, really good. I don't even have to mention it's the best thing they've had since Dillon (healthy) and Faulk, but I think as time wears on, you'll be able to measure it against Dill, et all, but others like Curtis Martin and Megget.

Personally, I'd like to see more of Vereen in preseason. I love me some Ridley, but Vereen is more dynamic in that Curtis Martin type build. As you allude to he is a RB you can measure AP yards from. He had at least one bad interior run last night, but another several that were very good, and this is what bears watching with the kid. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Yeah they might not be top5 in straight rushing, though I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they were on the upper end of that group, but I agree, if you add in what Vereen is going to be able to do getting flexed out of the backfield in 11 packages and 2TE, I could see something like a team with the most "all-purpose" RB yards. 

The triumverate of Ridley, Vereen, and Blount looks really, really good. I don't even have to mention it's the best thing they've had since Dillon (healthy) and Faulk, but I think as time wears on, you'll be able to measure it against Dill, et all, but others like Curtis Martin and Megget.

Personally, I'd like to see more of Vereen in preseason. I love me some Ridley, but Vereen is more dynamic in that Curtis Martin type build. As you allude to he is a RB you can measure AP yards from. He had at least one bad interior run last night, but another several that were very good, and this is what bears watching with the kid. 

I'd like to see Bolden and Blount each get another start, Vereen will be a home run hitting third down back/change of pace back, but we don't want him getting hurt either.  Ridley is more like Curtis Martin than Dillon in my eyes, solid at every facet but not an overwhelming runner like Dillon was; he or Bolden are interchangeable.  Blount will be an interesting watch on whether he makes it or not...

With so much depth of talent, using a "run by committee approach" is a luxury we are lucky to have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I'd like to see Bolden and Blount each get another start, Vereen will be a home run hitting third down back/change of pace back, but we don't want him getting hurt either.  Ridley is more like Curtis Martin than Dillon in my eyes, solid at every facet but not an overwhelming runner like Dillon was; he or Bolden are interchangeable.  Blount will be an interesting watch on whether he makes it or not...

With so much depth of talent, using a "run by committee approach" is a luxury we are lucky to have.

Ridley is a lot bigger than Martin, and not nearly the receiving threat, though. He's pretty much straight ahead meat and potatoes runner in my eyes, and not the open field threat that Martin was. I could never see him hauling in the 45 or so passes a season that Martin did. He just doesn't have the torso flexibilty or instincts for that.

Vereen could just be a change of pace guy, but I don't understand the "getting hurt" bit. He doesn't have a track record of injury, and is more than big enough to take every down hits. 

He's a little bigger than Curtis Martin himself, and he had 3500 plus career carries. 

I would like to see both of them out there ... but I think Vereen's ability to catch the ball, and make something happen in the open field make me think that a more even split would be warranted if he can show that he's not at a loss on between the tackles running. 

I'm not impressed with Bolden, but I think Blount adds something dynamic here. It IS quite a committee!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

There was one glaring, in my opinion, change in the Pats' offensive philosophy in these first two pre-season games..   they RAN!!!  How surprised was everyone in the Philliy game the first series was all run and resulted in a TD that possession?  Did anyone think the Pats would drive 80 yards without the benefit of at least one pass play?  Next series, more passes.  Last night's game saw a fairly ballanced mix.  Looks like Vareen is going to be a head ache out of the backfield for opposing D's in the passing game and a beast for YAC.  When the first team for the Pats has been on the field these two games, has anyone felt it lost a step with Welker, Hern and Gronk gone?  Seems not so far.  A great sign!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

This is incorrect in theory. They ran against 2 defenses suspect to the run. They will be pass heavy against other teams. Each game will have its own plan with a halftime adjustment. If you want to make assumptions on how much they will run, dont look within, look at the opposing schedule

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I think if the Oline and RBs are relatively healthy over the course of the year this is a top 3 run ning team. Ridley is a VERY good back with quickness and power; a guy who can run tough and also break off runs of 30, 40 yards or more. Vereen has some power for a guy with that kind of speed. He can take it inside or outside. And of course he is a real weapon downfield. Blount and Bolden add some solid play for both depth and to keep everyone fresh. 

Block for this group and they will be a top 3 running team. And I do agree that being able to run when the running is tough is critical. I think this group and this line can do that. Not totally dominating but very good as well as dangerous.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think we need to keep 4 TE's with Gronks injury woes. Gronk, Ballard, Hoomy(I like him a lot) and Suddfield. We are a 2 TE offense but still use 3 regularly. I think we realized the importance of having TE's after we went with 2 that year.

"Defense Wins Championships"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Belichick almost always keeps sixteen skill players on offense.  Right now I lean to this group if he sticks with the usual sixteen:

QB

1. Brady

2. Mallet

RB

3. Ridley

4. Vereen

5. Washington

6. Blount or Bolden

TE

7. Gronk

8. Ballard

9. Fells or Hoomanawanui

10. Sudfeld

WR

11. Amendola

12. Dobson

13. Thompkins

14. Boyce

15. Edelman

16. Slater

If Gronk is on the PUP, then I think we keep all TEs listed above.  I think Bolden is likely a tough cut unless he shows more soon.  His hands might save him if he can prove a better receiver than Blount.  Develin is a wildcard, but I don't know who I'd cut to keep him--maybe either Fells or Hoomanawanui.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Belichick almost always keeps sixteen skill players on offense.  Right now I lean to this group if he sticks with the usual sixteen:

QB

1. Brady

2. Mallet

RB

3. Ridley

4. Vereen

5. Washington

6. Blount or Bolden

TE

7. Gronk

8. Ballard

9. Fells or Hoomanawanui

10. Sudfeld

WR

11. Amendola

12. Dobson

13. Thompkins

14. Boyce

15. Edelman

16. Slater

If Gronk is on the PUP, then I think we keep all TEs listed above.  I think Bolden is likely a tough cut unless he shows more soon.  His hands might save him if he can prove a better receiver than Blount.  Develin is a wildcard, but I don't know who I'd cut to keep him--maybe either Fells or Hoomanawanui.  

Is this fantasy football? You talk about the O and dont even count the O line. Really?

Just sayin - the O line is the heart of any O. You have a good one and you can play. You dont and it doesnt matter who else you have. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

[QUOTE]

QB

1. Brady

2. Mallet

RB

3. Ridley

4. Vereen

5. Washington

6. Blount or Bolden

TE

7. Gronk

8. Ballard

9. Fells or Hoomanawanui

10. Sudfeld

WR

11. Amendola

12. Dobson

13. Thompkins

14. Boyce

15. Edelman

16. Slater

Is this fantasy football? You talk about the O and dont even count the O line. Really?

Just sayin - the O line is the heart of any O. You have a good one and you can play. You dont and it doesnt matter who else you have. 

[/QUOTE]

He ws talking about skill position players.

Boldin can go to practice squad right? Yeah I think he would be a tough cut though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

QB

1. Brady

2. Mallet

RB

3. Ridley

4. Vereen

5. Washington

6. Blount or Bolden

TE

7. Gronk

8. Ballard

9. Fells or Hoomanawanui

10. Sudfeld

WR

11. Amendola

12. Dobson

13. Thompkins

14. Boyce

15. Edelman

16. Slater

[/QUOTE]

Of course the O line is critical, but when BB decides how many RBs to keep he's going to be weighing them against other skill positions, not against the O linemen. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

QB

1. Brady

2. Mallet

RB

3. Ridley

4. Vereen

5. Washington

6. Blount or Bolden

TE

7. Gronk

8. Ballard

9. Fells or Hoomanawanui

10. Sudfeld

WR

11. Amendola

12. Dobson

13. Thompkins

14. Boyce

15. Edelman

16. Slater

[/QUOTE]

Boldin can go to practice squad right? Yeah I think he would be a tough cut though.

[/QUOTE]

I think Bolden has one accrued season, so I think he's ineligible for the PS.  If you've got to stick with sixteen skill players, who would you cut to keep him (assuming Blount makes the roster)? Edelman, Washington, one of the TEs?  Maybe BB goes with seventeen skill players but he's gone above 16 only twice since he's been in NE (2000 and 2008).  He's dropped to 15 several times, but 16 is typical. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Also, Curtis Martin was NEVER a pass receiver out of the backfield. Ever. I have no idea why anyone would say that.

Possibly because they watched him play? When a RB pulls in an average of 44 catches a season over an 11 year career, he is pretty much the cream of the crop of RBs catching passes out of the backfield.

To even insinuate Curtis Martin was "NEVER" a reciever out of the backfeild is just flat out wrong. On what grounds could you even say that? Even if you never watched him play his legacy, in sheer statistics, in unassailable on that front. Unless you've confused him for someone else, you are talking about one of the All-Time Greats of receiving half-backs. The guy did it all.

Here are the top 15 running backs receptions leaders in NFL history:

Marshall Faulk 767

Ladanian Tomlinson 624

Marcus Allen 587

Tiki Barber 586

Roger Craig 566

Eric Metcalf 541

Emmitt Smith 515

Ernest Byner 512

Hershel Walker 512

Warrick Dunn 510

Walter Payton 492

Curtis Martin 484

Thurman Thomas 472 

Ricky Waters 467

Brian Westbrook 442

Here are the top 15 Receiving backs grouped by catches per season to eliminate some players who were 'just ok' at receiving but really played a long time:

Marshall Faulk 767 [63.9]

Tiki Barber 586 [58.6]

Ladanian Tomlinson 624 [56.1]

Roger Craig 566 [51.4]

Brian Westbrook 442 [49.1]

Ricky Waters 467 [46.7]

Curtis Martin 484 [44]

Hershel Walker 512 [42.6]

Warrick Dunn 510 [42.5]

Eric Metcalf 541 [41.6]

Walter Payton 492 [37.8]

Marcus Allen 587 [36.6]

Ernest Byner 512 [36.5]

Thurman Thomas 472 [36.3]

Emmitt Smith 515 [34.3]

Here are the only five players with 3000 carries and 450 receptions:

Ladanian Tomlinson

Marcus Allen

Emmit Smith

Walter Payton

Curtis Martin

Here are the top 15 pass catching backs of 2012 as a point of reference including 3rd down backs:

Darren Sproles NOR 13   48  244  18.8  5.1  1    75  104  667  51.3  8.9  44  9.0  29  7    0  0      Ray Rice BAL 16   257  1143  71.4  4.4  9    61  83  478  29.9  7.8  43  8.3  22  1    1  0      LeSean McCoy PHI 12   200  840  70.0  4.2  2    54  67  373  31.1  6.9  36  9.6  19  3    4  3      Jacquizz Rodgers ATL 16   94  362  22.6  3.9  1    53  59  402  25.1  7.6  32  8.6  17  1    0  0      Joique Bell DET 16   82  414  25.9  5.0  3    52  69  485  30.3  9.3  50  8.4  28  0    1  1      Marcel Reece OAK 16   59  271  16.9  4.6  0    52  73  496  31.0  9.5  56  6.8  21  1    2  0      Trent Richardson CLE 15   267  950  63.3  3.6  11    51  70  367  24.5  7.2  27  9.0  18  1    3  0      Doug Martin TAM 16   319  1454  90.9  4.6  11    49  70  472  29.5  9.6  64  9.4  18  1    1  1      Ronnie Brown SDG 14   46  220  15.7  4.8  0    49  59  371  26.5  7.6  25  8.1  16  0    0  0      Matt Forte CHI 15   248  1094  72.9  4.4  5    44  60  340  22.7  7.7  47  7.3  15  1    2  1      C.J. Spiller BUF 16   207  1244  77.8  6.0  6    43  57  459  28.7  10.7  66  12.1  19  2    3  3      Darren McFadden OAK 12   216  707  58.9  3.3  2    42  63  258  21.5  6.1  20  6.7  11  1    2  2      Adrian Peterson MIN 16   348  2097  131.1  6.0  12    40  51  217  13.6  5.4  20  4.9  10  1    4  2      Arian Foster HOU 16   351  1424  89.0  4.1  15    40  58  217  13.6  5.4  23  7.3  10  2    3  2      Danny Woodhead NWE 16   76  301  18.8  4.0  4    40  55  446  27.9  11.2  25  9.6  22  3    1  0

Here is Curtis Martin's career.  

1995* 22 NWE RB 28 16 15 368 1487 14 49 4.0 92.9 23.0 30 261 8.7 1 27 1.9 16.3 1748 15 5 10 1996* 23 NWE RB 28 16 15 316 1152 14 57 3.6 72.0 19.8 46 333 7.2 3 41 2.9 20.8 1485 17 4 13 1997 24 NWE RB 28 13 13 274 1160 4 70 4.2 89.2 21.1 41 296 7.2 1 22 3.2 22.8 1456 5 3 13 1998* 25 NYJ RB 28 15 15 369 1287 8 60 3.5 85.8 24.6 43 365 8.5 1 23 2.9 24.3 1652 9 5 13 1999 26 NYJ RB 28 16 16 367 1464 5 50 4.0 91.5 22.9 45 259 5.8 0 34 2.8 16.2 1723 5 2 14 2000 27 NYJ RB 28 16 16 316 1204 9 55 3.8 75.3 19.8 70 508 7.3 2 31 4.4 31.8 1712 11 2 10 2001* 28 NYJ RB 28 16 16 333 1513 10 47 4.5 94.6 20.8 53 320 6.0 0 27 3.3 20.0 1833 10 2 15 2002 29 NYJ RB 28 16 16 261 1094 7 35 4.2 68.4 16.3 49 362 7.4 0 28 3.1 22.6 1456 7 0 12 2003 30 NYJ RB 28 16 16 323 1308 2 56 4.0 81.8 20.2 42 262 6.2 0 29 2.6 16.4 1570 2 2 11 2004*+ 31 NYJ RB 28 16 16 371 1697 12 25 4.6 106.1 23.2 41 245 6.0 2 22 2.6 15.3 1942 14 2 14 2005 32 NYJRB 28 12 12 220 735 5 49 3.3 61.3 18.3 24 118 4.9 0 14 2.0 9.8 853 5 2 4

In short Curtis Marting is nothing short of one of the finest receiving backs in the history of the NFL. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

QB

1. Brady

2. Mallet

RB

3. Ridley

4. Vereen

5. Washington

6. Blount or Bolden

TE

7. Gronk

8. Ballard

9. Fells or Hoomanawanui

10. Sudfeld

WR

11. Amendola

12. Dobson

13. Thompkins

14. Boyce

15. Edelman

16. Slater

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think Bolden has one accrued season, so I think he's ineligible for the PS.  If you've got to stick with sixteen skill players, who would you cut to keep him (assuming Blount makes the roster)? Edelman, Washington, one of the TEs?  Maybe BB goes with seventeen skill players but he's gone above 16 only twice since he's been in NE (2000 and 2008).  He's dropped to 15 several times, but 16 is typical. 

[/QUOTE]

That was my point earlier. Unless they have some other plan for KR, I don't see how Bolden makes this roster if cut downs were today.

Given that, there is time left and Blount is a total headcase. He could do anything to sacrifice the position he has himself in line for. There is no question he has looked better than Bolden, but he has put on a show before only to turn into sulky Blount afterward. 

To be frank, given your list, if they were to carry a fifth RB at the expense elswhere, I'd rather it be a FB like Develin. He at least adds the dimension of running a proper I, wing, or pro-set formation, whereas Bolden would just be redundant and less skilled than the rest.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:

Ridley is a lot bigger than Martin, and not nearly the receiving threat, though. He's pretty much straight ahead meat and potatoes runner in my eyes, and not the open field threat that Martin was. I could never see him hauling in the 45 or so passes a season that Martin did. He just doesn't have the torso flexibilty or instincts for that.

Vereen could just be a change of pace guy, but I don't understand the "getting hurt" bit. He doesn't have a track record of injury, and is more than big enough to take every down hits. 

He's a little bigger than Curtis Martin himself, and he had 3500 plus career carries. 

I would like to see both of them out there ... but I think Vereen's ability to catch the ball, and make something happen in the open field make me think that a more even split would be warranted if he can show that he's not at a loss on between the tackles running. 

I'm not impressed with Bolden, but I think Blount adds something dynamic here. It IS quite a committee!

If Bolden is cut, what a waste. The kid will be immediately scooped up and likely help a team out big time. My fear is the Jets will take him with their RB group so weak and injury prone.

Also, Curtis Martin was NEVER a pass receiver out of the backfield. Ever. I have no idea why anyone would say that.

BB should keep 5 RBs and 3 TEs.    2 QBs. If they can stash Kline on the PS as a Guard/C type, they can just carry the 7 OL and keep the 5 RBs.  

NE would have the best RB group in the NFL by a longshot. Unless, of course, BB cuts Leon Washington an RB who has shown nothing on kick offs so far.  I'd rather keep Bolden than Leon Washington.

Bolden hasn't impressed you because he's barely played.  That's how deep the RB group is.

[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding!!!

We have a winner!!! The dumbest post of all time goes to Rusty!! Come on up here rusty and collect your years supply of frozen yogurt.

Curtis Martin developed into one of the best receiving backs in the NFL during his second season. Aside from Marshall Faulk and Larry Centers, there's not a guy who I'd trust more catching the ball. The guy never had to be taken off the field, he could pass block like a guard and run routes like a receiver. Do you even watch football?

Did I miss something in your post? Please tell me that even you couldn't be so wrong about something.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Is a monster, and the best in the league