The Run Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: The Run Game

In response to rkarp's comment:

Rkarp; ridiculous, Tampa isn't just one of the best run stopping teams, they'll be one of the top rated defenses in the NFL provided they stay healthy.

Woozy, the statistics lie. The Bucs defensive backfield was worse then the Pats last year, so the opposition tended not to run on them, prefering pass. Hence the trade for Revis and the signing of Goldson.

Bowers has been a disappointment, cant set the edge against the run, and really hasnt been able to get to the QB. Clayton did have 7.5 sacks 2 years ago, but is a pass rusher, not a run stopper. McCoy was a pro bowler, and desrvedly so. Gibson is simply a body...

Tampa's DL is a bit undersized, no 320-340 DT's, and no depth. Very young as well. Pats knew handily their OL would have its way gainst the BUcs running the ball.

[/QUOTE]

TB actually led the league in fewest yds per game rushing AND fewest yds per carry (3.5), so they were pretty effective against the run. But there's no doubt, at least some of that is attributable to their awful pass defense.  They did have the third fewest rush attempts against and the second most pass attempts against. Teams just didn't bother running that much. They also had Roy Miller who was pretty stout, now gone.

Anyway, I wouldn't take too much from this game in terms of the week 3 matchup. There were lots of guys not playing on both teams, and some guys who only played a few plays before being lifted, like Goldson and Lavonte David for the Bucs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

Yeah they might not be top5 in straight rushing, though I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they were on the upper end of that group, but I agree, if you add in what Vereen is going to be able to do getting flexed out of the backfield in 11 packages and 2TE, I could see something like a team with the most "all-purpose" RB yards. 

The triumverate of Ridley, Vereen, and Blount looks really, really good. I don't even have to mention it's the best thing they've had since Dillon (healthy) and Faulk, but I think as time wears on, you'll be able to measure it against Dill, et all, but others like Curtis Martin and Megget.

Personally, I'd like to see more of Vereen in preseason. I love me some Ridley, but Vereen is more dynamic in that Curtis Martin type build. As you allude to he is a RB you can measure AP yards from. He had at least one bad interior run last night, but another several that were very good, and this is what bears watching with the kid. 

I'd like to see Bolden and Blount each get another start, Vereen will be a home run hitting third down back/change of pace back, but we don't want him getting hurt either.  Ridley is more like Curtis Martin than Dillon in my eyes, solid at every facet but not an overwhelming runner like Dillon was; he or Bolden are interchangeable.  Blount will be an interesting watch on whether he makes it or not...

With so much depth of talent, using a "run by committee approach" is a luxury we are lucky to have.

Ridley is a lot bigger than Martin, and not nearly the receiving threat, though. He's pretty much straight ahead meat and potatoes runner in my eyes, and not the open field threat that Martin was. I could never see him hauling in the 45 or so passes a season that Martin did. He just doesn't have the torso flexibilty or instincts for that.

Vereen could just be a change of pace guy, but I don't understand the "getting hurt" bit. He doesn't have a track record of injury, and is more than big enough to take every down hits. 

He's a little bigger than Curtis Martin himself, and he had 3500 plus career carries. 

I would like to see both of them out there ... but I think Vereen's ability to catch the ball, and make something happen in the open field make me think that a more even split would be warranted if he can show that he's not at a loss on between the tackles running. 

I'm not impressed with Bolden, but I think Blount adds something dynamic here. It IS quite a committee!

ZBell, Bolden can run, catch, and plat ST better than Blount - plus if you didn't notice, BB averaged over 6 yards a carry against Tampa, while Blount was at 3.3.

Maybe we carry 5 RBs and drop Tebow or Hoosman.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

Yeah they might not be top5 in straight rushing, though I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they were on the upper end of that group, but I agree, if you add in what Vereen is going to be able to do getting flexed out of the backfield in 11 packages and 2TE, I could see something like a team with the most "all-purpose" RB yards. 

The triumverate of Ridley, Vereen, and Blount looks really, really good. I don't even have to mention it's the best thing they've had since Dillon (healthy) and Faulk, but I think as time wears on, you'll be able to measure it against Dill, et all, but others like Curtis Martin and Megget.

Personally, I'd like to see more of Vereen in preseason. I love me some Ridley, but Vereen is more dynamic in that Curtis Martin type build. As you allude to he is a RB you can measure AP yards from. He had at least one bad interior run last night, but another several that were very good, and this is what bears watching with the kid. 

I'd like to see Bolden and Blount each get another start, Vereen will be a home run hitting third down back/change of pace back, but we don't want him getting hurt either.  Ridley is more like Curtis Martin than Dillon in my eyes, solid at every facet but not an overwhelming runner like Dillon was; he or Bolden are interchangeable.  Blount will be an interesting watch on whether he makes it or not...

With so much depth of talent, using a "run by committee approach" is a luxury we are lucky to have.

Ridley is a lot bigger than Martin, and not nearly the receiving threat, though. He's pretty much straight ahead meat and potatoes runner in my eyes, and not the open field threat that Martin was. I could never see him hauling in the 45 or so passes a season that Martin did. He just doesn't have the torso flexibilty or instincts for that.

Vereen could just be a change of pace guy, but I don't understand the "getting hurt" bit. He doesn't have a track record of injury, and is more than big enough to take every down hits. 

He's a little bigger than Curtis Martin himself, and he had 3500 plus career carries. 

I would like to see both of them out there ... but I think Vereen's ability to catch the ball, and make something happen in the open field make me think that a more even split would be warranted if he can show that he's not at a loss on between the tackles running. 

I'm not impressed with Bolden, but I think Blount adds something dynamic here. It IS quite a committee!

If Bolden is cut, what a waste. The kid will be immediately scooped up and likely help a team out big time. My fear is the Jets will take him with their RB group so weak and injury prone.

Also, Curtis Martin was NEVER a pass receiver out of the backfield. Ever. I have no idea why anyone would say that.

BB should keep 5 RBs and 3 TEs.    2 QBs. If they can stash Kline on the PS as a Guard/C type, they can just carry the 7 OL and keep the 5 RBs.  

NE would have the best RB group in the NFL by a longshot. Unless, of course, BB cuts Leon Washington an RB who has shown nothing on kick offs so far.  I'd rather keep Bolden than Leon Washington.

Bolden hasn't impressed you because he's barely played.  That's how deep the RB group is.

Hey Rusty! When you said Curtis Martin NEVER was a pass receiver out of the backfield. Ever. Does that prove that you actually said that, or are you going to lie about it? It's right here. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

We don't know about Gronk.  Ballard has been somewhat invisible. That leaves TEs like Fells or Hooman to block.  Sudfeld is an unproven blocker.

Until there's some clarity regarding some players - the run game may struggle.  Or, in the case the Patriots have a humongous lead, the run game would shine like for any other team.