The Secondary needs to get Physical

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

The Secondary needs to get Physical

Back in the early 2000's, the play of the secondary was physical with DB's like Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Otis Smith, Tyrone Poole, Terrell Buckley, Tebucky Jones, and Co. when they were maybe the strenghth of the defense. This secondary is soft in a way because they don't re-route receivers and they allow them to get clean releases off the line of scrimmage. When you do the math, Lack of Physicality in the Secondary + Lack of a Pass Rush = 30th against the pass. Part of it is due to Coach relying on so much zone coverage and using to many sub-packages involving DB's. When you have Kyle Arrington with his hand in the ground rushing the passer, that is when you know how bad the pass rush has gotten. Physicality is not a skill, its an attitude and this secondary needs an attitude adjustment and coach needs to take the handcuffs off them and let them get physical.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

Re: The Secondary needs to get Physical

Miller I would like to see more jamming WRs as well, but all that really matters is winning the game.  I do think our starting 4 last year McCourty, Arrington, Meri, Chung all are very physical guys and all good in run support or hard hitting.  Jamming WRs or not is a coaching decision.  U missed one major contributing factor when accounting for our passing def, we had the highest or close to highest scoring offense.  Teams had to pass against us to keep up. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The secondary needs to tackle and cover better, they're plenty physical.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The secondary needs to front seven to collapse the pocket and bring pressure off the edge, beyond that leading the league in interceptions looked pretty good to me...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'll agree with that. Tackling has been poor the last few years. I think the covering will improve with a pass rush, you cant expect a guy to cover his man for 10 seconds every play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BB-IS-BEST. Show BB-IS-BEST's posts

McCourty is already one of the most physical corners in the game, Meriweather gets fined a lot so he obviously is too physical (needs to cover and learn his angles), Chung is very physical, our other corners are to some degree physical. The big thing being able to make the tackles by taking the right angles. The secondary was actually very good the second half of the year. I think with more experince and hopefully some added pressure on the opposing quarterback will make this secondary incredible, a least that's what I expect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to The Secondary needs to get Physical:
    [QUOTE]Back in the early 2000's, the play of the secondary was physical with DB's like Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Otis Smith,   Tyrone Poole, Terrell Buckley, Tebucky Jones, and Co. when they were maybe the strenghth of the defense. This secondary is soft in a way because they don't re-route receivers and they allow them to get clean releases off the line of scrimmage. When you do the math, Lack of Physicality in the Secondary + Lack of a Pass Rush = 30th against the pass. Part of it is due to Coach relying on so much zone coverage and using to many sub-packages involving DB's. When you have Kyle Arrington with his hand in the ground rushing the passer, that is when you know how bad the pass rush has gotten. Physicality is not a skill, its an attitude and this secondary needs an attitude adjustment and coach needs to take the handcuffs off them and let them get physical.
    Posted by millergrnv[/QUOTE]

Back in the early 2000s the league wasn't flagging the secondary for looking at the receivers the wrong way. The line between good defense and getting a penalty is a lot finer than it used to be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I'd say that their most physical player just needs to learn when to deliver legal punishing blows and when to just make the tackle.  I for one like what this group of safeties has to offer and a returning Bodden and a more experienced McCourty will do wonders for the defense if they can just get some more pressure from their DEs and OLBs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

In Response to Re: The Secondary needs to get Physical:
    [QUOTE]The secondary needs to front seven to collapse the pocket and bring pressure off the edge, beyond that leading the league in interceptions looked pretty good to me...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    exactly this, actually we have guys who try to be too physical. They need to wrap up guys and not jus hit them, we also have guys who take poor routes on the ball or tackle. They're still young and those are things that will need more work. If we could get regular pressure, or pressure when needed, our secondary would look better. They honestly need to play smarter and could use a little help from up front, I am sure BB will address this in the draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: The Secondary needs to get Physical:
    [QUOTE]I can see your point, jam'em up at the line and take their routes away. I'd like to see more of it when they face younger QB's like Sanchez, I think if you interrupt their timing and force them to use their brains it'll make it tough on them. Don't forget, these guys aren't out there doing what they want, if they're playing off at the line it's because they're being told to. I'm with wozzy and CWB on this, the Pats led the league in picks and they get Bodden back who may have as much talent as McCourty. Sprinkle on a massive dose of pass rush and that secondary will look a lot different.  
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

You may see more jamming at the line as they get more experience. Last season BB was worried about them getting burned. Jamming them is all well and good but if they get by you they're gone for a long gain or TD.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm just glad that in this post up until this point, no one has accused Meriweather of being physical...I can now loosen the rope:)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

The Pats secnodary has not been as 'physical' or 'jamming' at the line since the Polian rule change, the front 7 stopped pressuring the QB as much.

I was recently reminded that Eric Mangini was also the defensive backs coach at that time too... he was a treeible head coach and never really did much as defensive coordinator, but he may have had something w the DB's...

Mangini is still at ratturd and a doucheebag - but interesting to see the DB coaches has nearly every year in recent history.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

While I might agree to some degree, I hear an Olivia Newton John song playing.  Don't you?

Man, it must really be the off-season.

Sections
Shortcuts