The sky is falling...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: The sky is falling...

In response to ATJ's comment:

Actually, I think the decision to keep Brady out was made when BB noted that Detroit wasn't bringing their first team D out for the 3rd. 

I dont know about that ATJ. BB usually does what he wants regardless of what the other team is doing. Did BB call Swartz at halftime? or did he wait for the detroit players to take the field and then go run and tell Brady to sit down and everyone esle got the message and were ready to go in that short amount of time?  BB decides these things in the locker room. Now maybe there was never a plan to come back but I dont buy your theory. For all the time I watched this team, Brady always comes out 2nd half in 3rd game unless he is nursing injury. I think BB knew his team was outmatched and playing a dirty team. Why keep him in? Nothing to Gain and Everything to lose if he gets hurt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I have a great feeling about this season. I said it on the game thread and I'll say it again, I absolutely don't mind taking whoopings now or even early in the year. Good I'm glad they got a beating last night, hopefully they learn from it. It's all about getting in the playoffs hot boys. That's all that matters.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

I have a great feeling about this season. I said it on the game thread and I'll say it again, I absolutely don't mind taking whoopings now or even early in the year. Good I'm glad they got a beating last night, hopefully they learn from it. It's all about getting in the playoffs hot boys. That's all that matters.

This is true. I actually am prepared and wouldnt mind watching a season of ups and downs similar to cassels year where u didnt know what to expect. We actually need more gut check wins in the reg. season so I dont want to be blowing out teams. I welcome the challenge, but I think for the most part , fans were just concerned with the lack of effort and FIGHT which should always be there. We shall see, but I agree about the season, not gonna say I feel good yet. Im concerned with O line. we have nice tackles but questions inside and our back end with safety play is a big Question mark. # 32 hasnt played but a couple series and I havent noticed him much and he is supposed to be our leader back there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Actually, I think the decision to keep Brady out was made when BB noted that Detroit wasn't bringing their first team D out for the 3rd. 

I dont know about that ATJ. BB usually does what he wants regardless of what the other team is doing. Did BB call Swartz at halftime? or did he wait for the detroit players to take the field and then go run and tell Brady to sit down and everyone esle got the message and were ready to go in that short amount of time?  BB decides these things in the locker room. Now maybe there was never a plan to come back but I dont buy your theory. For all the time I watched this team, Brady always comes out 2nd half in 3rd game unless he is nursing injury. I think BB knew his team was outmatched and playing a dirty team. Why keep him in? Nothing to Gain and Everything to lose if he gets hurt.

You may very well be right; thought I heard one of the commentators mentioning that that is the way it unfolded but who knows.  I do agree with you on the 'keep Brady healthy' point, regardless of what BB's line of reasoning was.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

It was simply a perfect storm of learning for them as a team last night. No big deal.

If I had to guess, I think BB was half pissed and dissapointed in the teams mental mistakes while at the same time the other half was down right giddy to have practically every situaltional football moment possible happen in one game. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Just some perspective: In the 2004 preseason, the Patriots went 1-3, including losses in week 2 to Cincinnati 31-3 and in week 4 to Jacksonville 31-0. They also lost to Carolina in week 3, 20-17 and then proceeded to go 14-2 and win the SB. There are countless examples of stuff like this. Anybody remember losing to the Bills in week 1 of the 2003 regular season 31-0, and then losing one game the rest of the way? 

It's not how you start...

This^

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Wow, just had a chance to read through some of the threads and I see much consternation. We all need to relax it was a pre-season game. This team can't be judged now or even early in the year. The tests for this team and the catalyst for measurement will come against Atlanta, Cincy, Denver, Houston and Balt. We will know what this team is capable of after playing these teams. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to BunkerSpreckels' comment:

In response to csylvia79's comment:

Because I asked what the turnovers were from a bar?  The Carolina/Baltimore was on down here and Flacco got picked 3 times with a Pierce fumble for a TD (that Kuechly kid special), and Hot Blitz was nice enough to confirm our turnovers.

What is your problem???

If anyone is an aszz, it's your pathetic little whiny girl group.  Anytime our offense blows you get your panties in a wad.

Get over it. Jesus.

Our online fans are horrendous.  I can't imagine tailgating with anyone of you goobers.

This is you asking who turned it over.... or making statements to pi$$ off people? Should I post other statements you made?

Brady turned it over 3 times already?  Here we go..brady sucks, blame the d.

Brady is in charge of the offense.  It is his responsibility to limit the turnovers.  All four are on him.  Those turnovers put the defense in a bad position giving Detroit a short field to score.

Wow, do you have a warped sense of reality.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm really not concerned about that Lion's game, it was a recipe for disaster right from the start. We were missing our best receiver, we didn't play Wilfork and Gronk is out - its stupid to think we were just going to be able to run it against that front when our passing game is in the early stages of development (and missing key pieces).

On defense we were missing Dennard and half of our secondary was being shuffled in and out of the lineup.

Honestly I think there were a few positives...Thompkins blowing by corners right off the line, being one. The play of Kelly impresses me...he and Vince will be good next to each other. Looking at Collins move around out there with those long arms gets me intrigued, I've got to think Belichick will put him in spots to do something positive (and we didn't have that last year.). Having A. Wilson out there might work out, I think that's a fifty/fifty shot..he may get cut, or he may make a difference.

In the end it's important to remember who's coaching this team and who's playing QB, because a lot of teams don't have that. That gives us a huge edge right there. If I'm Buffalo, I'd trade any two of my best players and two ones and a two, for Belichick and Brady....and I'd wake up knowing I was a much better team.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to BunkerSpreckels' comment:

In response to csylvia79's comment:

Because I asked what the turnovers were from a bar?  The Carolina/Baltimore was on down here and Flacco got picked 3 times with a Pierce fumble for a TD (that Kuechly kid special), and Hot Blitz was nice enough to confirm our turnovers.

What is your problem???

If anyone is an aszz, it's your pathetic little whiny girl group.  Anytime our offense blows you get your panties in a wad.

Get over it. Jesus.

Our online fans are horrendous.  I can't imagine tailgating with anyone of you goobers.

This is you asking who turned it over.... or making statements to pi$$ off people? Should I post other statements you made?

Brady turned it over 3 times already?  Here we go..brady sucks, blame the d.

Brady is in charge of the offense.  It is his responsibility to limit the turnovers.  All four are on him.  Those turnovers put the defense in a bad position giving Detroit a short field to score.

• Neither a coach nor a QB makes a block to spring a RB or give a QB time to throw. Simiarly neither holds on to a football or drops it when it is in someone elses hands. Yes coaches makes a difference over the course of a season in those things but on any play A PALYER either makes a play or fails. 

I am amazed at the fantasy football mentality of some so called fans. No matter how much PRESS a QB gets football is a team (T E A M) sport. Perhaps the most tea,like of team sports. If you have a bad O line you cannt run no matter who you hand off to. YOu cant pass no matter who is throwing. Team.... 11 players each having to do THEIR job. As a woman once remarked "he cant throw it and catch it"! Same goes for blocking, holding on to the football etc.

Get an understanding for the game. You will likely appreciate it more.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'm really not concerned about that Lion's game, it was a recipe for disaster right from the start. We were missing our best receiver, we didn't play Wilfork and Gronk is out - its stupid to think we were just going to be able to run it against that front when our passing game is in the early stages of development (and missing key pieces).

On defense we were missing Dennard and half of our secondary was being shuffled in and out of the lineup.

Honestly I think there were a few positives...Thompkins blowing by corners right off the line, being one. The play of Kelly impresses me...he and Vince will be good next to each other. Looking at Collins move around out there with those long arms gets me intrigued, I've got to think Belichick will put him in spots to do something positive (and we didn't have that last year.). Having A. Wilson out there might work out, I think that's a fifty/fifty shot..he may get cut, or he may make a difference.

In the end it's important to remember who's coaching this team and who's playing QB, because a lot of teams don't have that. That gives us a huge edge right there. If I'm Buffalo, I'd trade any two of my best players and two ones and a two, for Belichick and Brady....and I'd wake up knowing I was a much better team.

I agree to an extent. I am not concerned about the score so much. But it showed lack of progress and a lot of sloppyness. It showed some players to be that much more questionable. And a guy like Ryan getting time does not in itself give me comfort. I did not like much of his play. So lots of bad play is not a good thing or even a beter thing than not much play but bad play.

So the game bothers me only in indicating how much more work this team needs. I agree it does NOT indicate that this team is a bad team. I do expect that if healthy this team gets 12 or 13 wins and has a good shot at the SB.

I will add that I think this team has some real good talent. Some here and many around the country think losing AH and WW and starting with Gronk injured means this team in thin., But this team has solid if not very good TE play starting week one with Sudfeld and the depth of Ballard and Fells, etc and has a great WR in DA and as much as 4 other good and dangerous WRs in addition and at least two excellent RBs in Ridley and Vereen and some strong depth in Bolden (if he can hold on to the ball) and Blount. That is a lot of talent. ANd then you have the foundation which is a VERY good and deep O line. 

The D may be shaping up in terms of the starters. I am nto so sure about depth on D though.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

The only thing that concerns me about the Lion's game is how bad the O-Line can look against a good defensive front.  

They just don't seem like they are physical enough to me to handle those kinds of defenses.  

Yes, I know it was Connolly's first game back but they have been beaten by defenses of this kind since 2008.

Average defenses, no problem.  Big, physical, get after the qb defensive lines seem to be a problem for them.  So, if you have to pull Brady out of a game, preseason or not so he doesn't get killed then I think there is a problem.

There is another thread:  Physical beats finesse.  I agree.

I also agree with Triple OG about Mankins.  Can't believe this guy is supposed to be one of the best guards in the league.  The team should have never caved to his demands.

Highly overrated.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'm not for cutting Mayo.  Just pointing out he's not the Great And Mighty, best ever LB, TACKLING MACHINE in the history of the game, that a few here think he is. 

He's an average LB getting paid Super Star money.  He cashed in on early success and has faded since.   I hope he can turn it around.

99% agree with this characterization.  He's clearly a BB player in that he works hard off the field and is a professional.  BB likes these types of players (Slater, McCourty, etc.).  I'd probably call him slightly above average.  In no way is he approaching great though.

In response to carawaydj's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'm not for cutting Mayo.  Just pointing out he's not the Great And Mighty, best ever LB, TACKLING MACHINE in the history of the game, that a few here think he is. 

He's an average LB getting paid Super Star money.  He cashed in on early success and has faded since.   I hope he can turn it around.

99% agree with this characterization.  He's clearly a BB player in that he works hard off the field and is a professional.  BB likes these types of players (Slater, McCourty, etc.).  I'd probably call him slightly above average.  In no way is he approaching great though.

I guess "Steady" is one of the words they like to use to describe Mayo.

Not bad.  Not great.

Although Spikes is not fast, he seems to have more impact than Mayo.   The defense is just better with him in the game.  Always seems to make a play.  Either a FF, a tone-setting hit and even an int ( not bad for someone who's supposed to be a liability in coverage).

Played 11 snaps total.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Woz, you are totally missing the point. Doesn't matter if you are a 3rd stringer or bench warmer. Pre-season or not...you get punched in the face you have 2 choices, fight or yield, pick one. The Pats picked yield.

That's ok in a preseason game. Health is all that matters.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The O line is a good one, but not great and not that deep.  Yeah, they have a lot of JAGs who play reasonably well as back-ups, but they are still JAGs.  Here's how I break the line down:

Solder--has the potential to be a great left tackle, but still learning; very athletic, which is a big plus and bodes well for his future; probably a top 10 tackle now, but not right at the top in the league

Vollmer--very solid tackle, in the top half of right tackles; injuries sometimes affect his play

Mankins--very good guard, sometimes overaggressive getting unnecessary penalties; injuries over the past few seasons may be taking their toll

Connolly and Wendell--only average; middle of line is weak because of them

Cannon--maybe better than average, but still incomplete

Everyone else--back ups

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I agree to an extent. I am not concerned about the score so much. But it showed lack of progress and a lot of sloppyness. It showed some players to be that much more questionable. And a guy like Ryan getting time does not in itself give me comfort. I did not like much of his play. So lots of bad play is not a good thing or even a beter thing than not much play but bad play.

So the game bothers me only in indicating how much more work this team needs. I agree it does NOT indicate that this team is a bad team. I do expect that if healthy this team gets 12 or 13 wins and has a good shot at the SB.

I will add that I think this team has some real good talent. Some here and many around the country think losing AH and WW and starting with Gronk injured means this team in thin., But this team has solid if not very good TE play starting week one with Sudfeld and the depth of Ballard and Fells, etc and has a great WR in DA and as much as 4 other good and dangerous WRs in addition and at least two excellent RBs in Ridley and Vereen and some strong depth in Bolden (if he can hold on to the ball) and Blount. That is a lot of talent. ANd then you have the foundation which is a VERY good and deep O line. 

The D may be shaping up in terms of the starters. I am nto so sure about depth on D though.

I'm not all that worried about the sloppiness of the game - Belichick is a great coach - he will probably have them work on that stuff until they are blue in the face...the handling of the ball, running a route the right distance, finding the markers, running a screen cleanly, etc.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

bump

• Sections
    Shortcuts