The Sleeping Giant Speaks.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The Sleeping Giant Speaks.....

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth took a few minutes at the end of the open-locker room session today to talk about the Cowboys and his progress up to this point in the season.

Haynesworth played 21 snaps against the Jets on Sunday, mostly in sub packages, after missing the previous two contests due to a back issue.

Of the Cowboys, whom he faced twice a season during his tenure with the Redskins, he said, "Regardless of what you would think, they’re a really good team and Tony Romo’s a really good quarterback. He can be streaky sometimes but most of the time he’s on point. We just have to get after him.

"They never give up, that team is extremely good. You look at their record, they lost some tough games but the teams they beat are all top of their divisions right now. So I wouldn’t count the Cowboys out – I think they’re a really good team and they’ve taken to coach (Jason) Garrett.

"The whole team’s unpredictable. They can do a lot of things – you can’t just watch one game and say ‘this is what they’re going to do.’"

As for his own play, Haynesworth was asked about his role to this point.

"The more I play, the more familiar I can get. Coach is not going to rush anything and he wants me to get my feet under me so I can play well," he said, and intimated that physically he still isn't 100 percent.

"I feel ok. I’m still trying to shake some things or whatever. But as time goes, I’m feeling better and better and more comfortable in the whole scheme of things (and) what I’m doing."

Haynesworth also called himself a perfectionist on the field.

"I wouldn’t say I’m satisfied – if I’m not making every tackle, every sack, every pass defense, you know, I’m not satisfied. I’m ok with it but I want to definitely increase and get a lot better and I want them to see what I can do.

"Even ask my mom – doesn’t matter, I’ve had games when I was with the Titans I had three sacks, a couple of tackles for loss and things like that and she’s like ‘how’d you play? You played great.’ And I was like ‘yeah, I played ok.’ So I guess I will be. I want to be the best at what I do at all times, never want to slack. If I make a tackle for a one-yard gain, it should have been for a one-yard loss and if I make a sack, I think I should have had a sack, a strip and pick up the fumble."

How long until he feels he's at his best?

"Hey, only God knows that question," he said.

very encouraging words right?.  Lets hope he follows through and makes me eat my words.  I am hoping to eat some big Al crow at some point this year, but its gonna take more than words for me...  C'mon big fella!! 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: The Sleeping Giant Speaks.....

I would love to see him when he is in shape and healthy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Schadenfreude?  I think a lot of people are hoping for Big Al to fail, including some posters here.  Lots of NE sports fans aren't happy unless they're miserable, and the best way to be miserable is to nitpick players.  Big Al is depth with upside, and they'll live with or without him.   

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Good words... i am exited to see him in a month or so, should be able to help this defense a lot.

Also BB talked about Spikes today, basically saying that the guy needs reps and practice time... no more injuries.

I think Big Al, Spikes, Bodden, Ras-I and DMC are in the same or similar spot... they need reps and reps to get to their real level.

THIS TEAM IS GETTING HEALTHY !!! THAT HUGE !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Believe me I want him to succeed. Any pats fan would unless they knew him personally.  I know I have expressed my thoughts on him, but I never bashed him character wise or personally. I just think as weeks go by we need to have tempered expectations .  The same w/Ocho.  Only thing is that w/Ocho I am more forgiving as he shows up everyday and is trying to make in impact.

I understand he is cheap, he has upside to help us and we are thin on the line, these things i know. I can understand he has back issues, but it doesnt make me feel better about it.  A back injury may mean he is never right this year.

I just think he should be quiet until he does something.  I dont wanna hear about not being satisfied. Better to be not seen/heard and just keep pluggin away.

I cant give him a pass for being out of shape now going on 3 months and has never played any significant snaps yet.  So either way, I still hope he can contribute, but I guess i just dont like hearing people keep saying "When Big Al comes back, blah, blah, blah."  I mean he may help, but people act like we are gonna be some big ,shut down, juggernaut defense the minute he is heatlhy and I dont see it.  Its a team game and we need to improve as well, not just put it all one guy or folks are gonna be dissapointed.

ok, im done on the subject..Have at it!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: The Sleeping Giant Speaks.....:
    Schadenfreude?  I think a lot of people are hoping for Big Al to fail, including some posters here.  Lots of NE sports fans aren't happy unless they're miserable, and the best way to be miserable is to nitpick players.  Big Al is depth with upside, and they'll live with or without him.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

I don't need sports to feel miserable. I've got an exwife who fills that job.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: The Sleeping Giant Speaks..... : I don't need sports to feel miserable. I've got an exwife who fills that job.
    Posted by Evil2012

Sorry to hear Evil, luckily Boston has multiple teams to keep you occupied. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Two years ago when he was flopping for the Redskins I wanted Bill to trade for him. I remembered how he was with the Titans and thought this guy was one of those few people on the planet that could really change the outcomes of games...he was that good. As of right now I'd have to say I was wrong - I hope that changes, but he looks like a guy that is going to have one thing wrong with him after the other.

When he is in there we are better, but his guy is much more capable than just making us better. He's probably more talented than Wilfork and yet Wilfork is out there every snap battling. This guy is not old enough to be playing at the level he is right now and I fear that it's more of a heart type of thing than mysterious injuries...hope I'm wrong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

mt, speaking of Vince I am curious to what he was saying during the game. he will be mic'd up tonight on sound f/x on  NFL network.  last time it was Vince as well against the Bills last year and he isnt much of a trash talker but always good to get sideline insight.

I think the fact that Vince is working his tail off and Aintsworth has been shelved is not sitting too well w/Vince, but I may be reading too much into it.

On Weei when they asked him about playing the high # of snaps, he responded with .." I take pride on being a well-conditioned athlete"  maybe its just me, but I see a subliminal shot there.  Guys are only gonna bust their tail while you sit around for so long, and like Russ said, B.B. may have patience but doesnt mean the players like it....

A.Carter is here too remember....has some stories...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

All that matters is if he is in shape and ready to produce when the playoffs roll around. Same with Ocho at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

"The more I play, the more familiar I can get. Coach is not going to rush anything and he wants me to get my feet under me so I can play well."

I think this says a lot.  And I have to add I don't know how much football Haynesworth played in the last two years.  At big Al's age BB appears to be taking this process slowly.  Of course this is going to be a huge tease come the playoffs.

The lockout had to hurt Ocho and Al big time.  FA coming after the draft and after the camps have already started.  Folks are impatient.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonbam. Show jonbam's posts

When AH is on the field he has been performing very well.  He gets double teamed almost every time and still generates penetration.  Most other Pats DL , excepting Fork, are out of the play when double teamed.

On severals plays both AH and Fork were double teamed, creating large gaps in the line.  Unfortunately the LBs, primarily Spikes and Guyton, were not up to the task of filling the holes.  I think Spikes will improve with more reps but I just don't see Guyton having the ability (or strength) to shed and tackle, or to make the quick read to get into position whenever he is near the LOS.  His skill set is away from the LOS and in space.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

By week 10 he will be shredding O lines.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I just am not that disappointed with him. Is he having a huge impact right now? No, not at all. But is he a serviceable guy in the rotation at tackle--good enough to be the first guy in when Love needs a breather? Yes. He wasn't all that bad on Sunday, I thought. Despite the complaints about limited playing time, he still had 20 odd snaps, which is about one-third of the defensive plays.  And even if he didn't make tackles or penetrate, he did occupy multiple blockers on a number of plays, which freed up the LBs to make tackles. 

Yeah, I'd like to see more from him too . . . but all this talk about cutting him seems silly to me.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I've got an exwife who fills that job.

Seems like women are ok till their sister gets killed by that house.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm happy with him so far. He is making contributions and keeping his mouth shut. I hope he gets healthier over the course of the season. A fully armed and operational Haynesworth would be great for this defense. He is probably a lot better than any fifth rounder we would have picked up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: The Sleeping Giant Speaks..... : I don't need sports to feel miserable. I've got an exwife who fills that job.
    Posted by Evil2012

Tom Brady has sisters!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from startrightnow. Show startrightnow's posts

I just am not that disappointed with him. Is he having a huge impact right now? No, not at all. But is he a serviceable guy in the rotation at tackle--good enough to be the first guy in when Love needs a breather? Yes. He wasn't all that bad on Sunday, I thought. Despite the complaints about limited playing time, he still had 20 odd snaps, which is about one-third of the defensive plays.  And even if he didn't make tackles or penetrate, he did occupy multiple blockers on a number of plays, which freed up the LBs to make tackles.  Yeah, I'd like to see more from him too . . . but all this talk about cutting him seems silly to me.    
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Good post , pretty much sums it up for me. My main concern right now is the health of this team. If were healthy in Jan/Feb , we can play with and beat anyone.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

His size and strength makeup is so rare that it's hard for me to imagine that if he becomes healthy he won't be a factor by years end.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Haynesworth and Wilfork won't be a "factor" in the defense until BB decides it's time to switch the system up.  

The reality is they have to be ALL WORLD players to get a sack in this 2/4/5 system we're using, don't expect to see ANY sacks from these guys unless we go to a 3/4 or a 3/3/5 nickel and they're allowed to tee off on the opposing QB. We've only seen that early in preseason and very seldom inside the redzone during the regular season.

Wilfork and Haynesworth are the best the league has to offer, I don't see how Albert is receiving all this criticism yet Wilfork only has a half sack?  The system we're using is predicated on speed, when we switch it up in the postseason we will dominate provided we're healthy.

Sections
Shortcuts