The sort of TE I would like to see Pats get

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

The sort of TE I would like to see Pats get

Daniel Graham. Of course I would like another Gronk gor that matter. But I would like a Daniel Graham. Dependable receiver and really good blocker. Gives us a very good TE if Gronk is out, an exceptional 2nd TE for running the ball and yet still a good receiver in a double TE set.

Maybe LaFell can be a sort of big WR like Givens (instead of a Hern type TE).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

Re: The sort of TE I would like to see Pats get

I liked Graham. I'd have to go with Ben Coates. He was awesome. Everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going to him, yet opposing D's still couldn't stop him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Colt Lyerla, 6th or 7th round would be the smart move.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

One that can stay healthy or one that doesn't take the health of others.....................

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Don't tell anyone who thinks the Patriots aren't taking any troubled players on about him, considering talent wise he would be on par with Ebron.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

Russ Francis

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Daniel Graham. Of course I would like another Gronk gor that matter. But I would like a Daniel Graham. Dependable receiver and really good blocker. Gives us a very good TE if Gronk is out, an exceptional 2nd TE for running the ball and yet still a good receiver in a double TE set.

[/QUOTE]

Daniel Graham was a blocking TE. IMO, that's not what the Patriots need.  They need a guy like Ben Coats.  And, there is/was really nothing wrong with Gronk and Hernandez.  If Gronk could have stayed on the field and AH didn't get incarcerated - they might have ended up being one of the better TE tandems ever - but, it is what it is.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In response to wonderdrums' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I liked Graham. I'd have to go with Ben Coates. He was awesome. Everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going to him, yet opposing D's still couldn't stop him. 

[/QUOTE]

+1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like that.  I do think we need a guy who is a very good blocker but can still catch reasonably well (Graham, Crumpler, etc., come to mind).  I think this guy needs to be more in the Gronk mold (traditional TE) than the Hernandez mold (move TE).  In part, that's because Gronk's status is questionable and this TE has to replace him when he's out.  But also I think you are right that LaFell can replace the move TE in the offense to some degree.  He's big and can block well, and while he may not have the same strength as a true move TE, he can do many of the same things. In fact, I think that may be why they acquired him.  He gives them that large receiver who's best near the LOS but can also go deep if needed.  I see him as the Hernandez replacement--the big slot guy we haven't had since Hernandez went to prison.

Get us a good traditional TE to supplement Gronk and a good big deep receiver (maybe Dobson  if he's healthy and progresses a lot?) and we're in very good shape on offense.  We may not be able to get both this offseason (given cap situation and draft choices and the uncertainty around Dobson's health and potential), but that would be ideal. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to wonderdrums' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would of course go for Coates even faster... I was being less greedy and just emphasizing blocking ability and strength and size over special downfield receiving skills.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to user_4160947's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Russ Francis

[/QUOTE]

Acutally I would LOVE Russ Francis ... again!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like that.  I do think we need a guy who is a very good blocker but can still catch reasonably well (Graham, Crumpler, etc., come to mind).  I think this guy needs to be more in the Gronk mold (traditional TE) than the Hernandez mold (move TE).  In part, that's because Gronk's status is questionable and this TE has to replace him when he's out.  But also I think you are right that LaFell can replace the move TE in the offense to some degree.  He's big and can block well, and while he may not have the same strength as a true move TE, he can do many of the same things. In fact, I think that may be why they acquired him.  He gives them that large receiver who's best near the LOS but can also go deep if needed.  I see him as the Hernandez replacement--the big slot guy we haven't had since Hernandez went to prison.

Get us a good traditional TE to supplement Gronk and a good big deep receiver (maybe Dobson  if he's healthy and progresses a lot?) and we're in very good shape on offense.  We may not be able to get both this offseason (given cap situation and draft choices and the uncertainty around Dobson's health and potential), but that would be ideal. 

[/QUOTE]
     Yes, exactly. And with the new TE being a strong blocker it makes a real difference in the red zone... being able to run with power (with 2 very good blocking TEs or if Gronk is out at least 1!) and still haveing big, dependable receiving targets. We would take a nice step up in red zone capabilities.... and also short yardage in general.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I can't stop thinking that we need to draft Jace Amaro, I've watched him in five different games and the catches he makes are pretty damn good. This guy catches with a lot of Polish...he catches in traffic, he's big, he's tall, he's experienced, he faces a lot of attention on the field...he just catches the thing. He only ran a 4.7, but he seems to play much faster than that. I know he's not a great blocker, but he looks like he could get better and most of these receiving tightends need to work on their blocking. This guy fills a need.

I know the kid from North Carolina is a better talent, but he will be gone in the top 15. And I'll tell yeah he's not as consistent as Amaro.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

Fiedorowicz in the third, and Rodgers in the sixth......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

Fiedorowicz in the third, and Rodgers in the sixth......

[/QUOTE]

+1 on Fiedorowicz

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to user_4160947's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Russ Francis

[/QUOTE]

Acutally I would LOVE Russ Francis ... again!

[/QUOTE]

Until he "retires" to get away from the Pats only to find glory somewhere else.............

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

A healthy Gronk and a Hern replacement would be nice. Failing that, a young Jason Witten or Antonio Gates would be acceptable. Not sure if any of the draft eligible guys have that talent?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Interesting . . . though maybe the "NFL Exec" is hoping to get a TE in the draft and wants to scare off potential competition Laughing

From NFL.com . . . 

The entire draft class of tight ends is a weak one, according to one NFL personnel executive, and the fool's gold starts at the top with North Carolina's Eric Ebron. The former Tar Hee is widely regarded as the draft's top prospect at the position and has been projected as high as the No. 9 overall pick to theBuffalo Bills, but at least one club will have a strong voice against him when his name comes up.

"He's OK. He's completely overrated, and he's a pain in the (butt)," an AFC personnel executive told nj.com. "And don't ask him to block anybody, because he's not going to do it."

Now there's someone who wouldn't touch Ebron with a pick anywhere near as high as No. 9. Ebron has also been projected to the New York Giants at No. 12 by NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, and No. 17 to the Baltimore Ravens by analyst Charles Davis. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but Ebron didn't even catch the worst of it. Washington's Austin Seferian-Jenkins, potentially a second-round pick, wasn't spared, either.

"He's more overrated and a bigger pain in the (butt) than the other guy," he said. "And he blocks like a wide receiver. I don't want any part of him."

The same exec went on to devalue the entire class at the position, which includes another potential first-round pick in Texas Tech's Jace Amaro, a second-round projection in Notre Dame's Troy Niklas, and a projected second-day pick in Iowa's C.J. Fiedorowicz.

"It's not good at all. I wish it was. But it's not," he added. "It's actually a bad year for tight ends. There's nobody even close to (Tyler) Eifert (drafted No. 21 by Bengals last year). (Eagles2013 second-rounder Zach) Ertz is better than these guys."

It can certainly be argued that the tight end class is thin on depth, particularly for clubs in search of an in-line blocker at the position, rather than the slot-type receiving tight end that has taken a commanding presence in more than a few NFL offenses.

If Ebron is headed for Bustville, however, it will come as a surprise to the other scouts nj.com spoke with.