The top nine cap hits in 2013 are projected to gobble up $65.95 million of the 2013 cap.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

The top nine cap hits in 2013 are projected to gobble up $65.95 million of the 2013 cap.

per tom curran.

Those are: Brady ($21.8 million), Wilfork ($10.6 million), Mankins ($10 million), Jerod Mayo ($5.6 million), Brandon Lloyd ($4.5 million), Aaron Hernandez ($4 million), Stephen Gostkowski ($3.4 million) and Dan Connolly ($3.3 million). 

i consider replacing gost 3.4 mil

def dropping lloyd and replacing in draft 

thats another 8 mil

if need be push some of brady forward

as i posted in another thread:

Teams have been told the approximate cap number for 2013 will be $121 million. Our friends at Pro Football Talk reported Wednesday night that the Patriots rolled over $5.6 million in unused 2012 cap space into 2013. As a result, the Patriots are working with about $126.6 million in cap space when the league year begins next month. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: The top nine cap hits in 2013 are projected to gobble up $65.95 million of the 2013 cap.

In response to bredbru's comment:

per tom curran.

Those are: Brady ($21.8 million), Wilfork ($10.6 million), Mankins ($10 million), Jerod Mayo ($5.6 million), Brandon Lloyd ($4.5 million), Aaron Hernandez ($4 million), Stephen Gostkowski ($3.4 million) and Dan Connolly ($3.3 million). 

thats another 8 mil

Teams have been told the approximate cap number for 2013 will be $121 million. Our friends at Pro Football Talk reported Wednesday night that the Patriots rolled over $5.6 million in unused 2012 cap space into 2013. As a result, the Patriots are working with about $126.6 million in cap space when the league year begins next month. 

They will come up with some creative contract changes to soften the CAP impact of Brady and Wilfork.

Lloyd should be gone, the only issue is the dead money CAP hit that may linger

Mankins wasn't as high of a CAP hit as I thought

All in all Gostkowski is a very good kicker, be careful in thinking you can pull another one out of thin air. This ain't the year to draft one either as we are short on picks.

Connolly priced right

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: The top nine cap hits in 2013 are projected to gobble up $65.95 million of the 2013 cap.

Why get rid of Lloyd, that makes no sense. We are already paper thin at WR and $4.5mil isn't a lot for a WR. We are going to have to get a WR regardless if Welker and Edelman are resigned or not so you want to dump another WR and have Slater as your only WR signed going into the offseason? $4.5mil for a #2 WR isn't much I'd just keep Lloyd and look some place else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Why get rid of Lloyd, that makes no sense. We are already paper thin at WR and $4.5mil isn't a lot for a WR. We are going to have to get a WR regardless if Welker and Edelman are resigned or not so you want to dump another WR and have Slater as your only WR signed going into the offseason? $4.5mil for a #2 WR isn't much I'd just keep Lloyd and look some place else.

I agree . . .I wouldn't get rid of Lloyd unless you were replacing him and Welker with two top FA receivers. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Lloyd would actually have more dead money than his cap hit I think so there is no savings in cutting him. Gost probably only saves you about 1.8M (he has prorated bonus)

Best chance at manipulation is Brady/Wilfork/Mankins, but those guys are getting nearer the end of their careers and you maybe adding to dead money issues in a few years.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

if factoring in the CFL signings, and the raises attained by some of the players, and the PAts keep the draft choices exactly where they are, they have about $14M in cap space available....also keep in mind they like to keep some in hand thru the season

there isnt a creative solution with Brady. there are 3 options. 1) pay him $21m this year and next year. 2) pro rate his bonus this year into next. this frees up $5mil this year, but bumps next years cap hit to $26mil. 3) extend him. most likely this means a 5 year $100 million deal taking him into his early 40's....

I am not sure extending Vince is a good idea with his age and amount of snaps on his body.

Pats have $11mil to $14mil available with 18 roster spots open, and Wes, Talib and Vollmer needing to be signed.

each and every time I try to point out the PAts salary cap predicament and how it is not so enviable, I get shouted down as a Jets troll...fact is, the PAts dont have the $$$ available to sign there own players, and address specific needs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

per tom curran.

thats another 8 mil

They will come up with some creative contract changes to soften the CAP impact of Brady and Wilfork.

All in all Gostkowski is a very good kicker, be careful in thinking you can pull another one out of thin air. This ain't the year to draft one either as we are short on picks.

Connolly priced right

Let's hear a few creative ideas on how they may handle a 22 million 2013/ 22million 2014 cap hit for a 36 year old QB.

They realize that a 36yr old HoF QB is much better then Sanchez and a recently oft injured evis happily write the check

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

per tom curran.

thats another 8 mil

Connolly priced right

Let's hear a few creative ideas on how they may handle a 22 million 2013/ 22million 2014 cap hit for a 36 year old QB.

They realize that a 36yr old HoF QB is much better then Sanchez and a recently oft injured evis happily write the check

when a poster comments on the Pats salary cap issues and potential solutions, why does it always come back to the Jets and Sanchez? What difference does it make for the Jets? Its the PAts this OP is commenting on...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

if factoring in the CFL signings, and the raises attained by some of the players, and the PAts keep the draft choices exactly where they are, they have about $14M in cap space available....also keep in mind they like to keep some in hand thru the season

there isnt a creative solution with Brady. there are 3 options. 1) pay him $21m this year and next year. 2) pro rate his bonus this year into next. this frees up $5mil this year, but bumps next years cap hit to $26mil. 3) extend him. most likely this means a 5 year $100 million deal taking him into his early 40's....

I am not sure extending Vince is a good idea with his age and amount of snaps on his body.

Pats have $11mil to $14mil available with 18 roster spots open, and Wes, Talib and Vollmer needing to be signed.

each and every time I try to point out the PAts salary cap predicament and how it is not so enviable, I get shouted down as a Jets troll...fact is, the PAts dont have the $$$ available to sign there own players, and address specific needs.

They had $18.6mil in space before the CFL signings which included raises to other players. The CFL signings barely qualify for the top 51 man contracts so they will essentially replace players like Pryor on the roster and not affect the cap space available. They still roghly have 18 mil which after the draft will end up with about $14mil. That's a ton of space to resign players and add depth players. It does limit them to not target top end payers unless they are willing to let some of their bigger FA's go but the cap isn't much of a concern.

As for those 18 spots really only 4-6 spots are above min deals with 2-3 will be replaced by draft picks. You replace the other 2-3 by resigning players or FA but the other 12-14 players will barely impact the cap situation as they will be min type of contracts 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The top 51 rule applies only in the offseason.  Once the regular season starts, you need to be under the cap with all your players counted.  

I think the cap does present some problems for the Pats if they desire to sign any top free agents.  Remember, they absolutely need to sign a RT, a corner, and a WR.  They simply don't have those guys.  Sure, they can go cheap on all three and be in fine cap shape, but are they then a competitive team?  I see their core needs requiring at least middling talent as:

Defense

• 2 corners, at least one a starter and another nickel type (Talib and Arrington?)
    • 1 safety (draft?)
    • 1 interior defensive lineman (draft? Armstead?)

Offense

• 2 WRs (Welker or Edelman for slot? Draft or FA or Stallworth for X?)
    • 1 interior O lineman (Thomas?)
    • 1 tackle (Vollmer?)
    • 1 TE (Ballard?)

Filling all those holes could easily eat close to the 18.6 million in cap space the Pats are rumoured to have.  In addition to these core guys, I see minimum or near-minimum deal type players needed at:

Defense

• 2 DBs
    • 2 LBs

Offense

• 1 TE (Hoomananui?)
    • 1 RB (or maybe re-sign Woodhead?)
    • 1 WR

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

They had $18.6mil in space before the CFL signings which included raises to other players. The CFL signings barely qualify for the top 51 man contracts so they will essentially replace players like Pryor on the roster and not affect the cap space available. They still roghly have 18 mil which after the draft will end up with about $14mil. That's a ton of space to resign players and add depth players. It does limit them to not target top end payers unless they are willing to let some of their bigger FA's go but the cap isn't much of a concern.

As for those 18 spots really only 4-6 spots are above min deals with 2-3 will be replaced by draft picks. You replace the other 2-3 by resigning players or FA but the other 12-14 players will barely impact the cap situation as they will be min type of contracts 

I thought Armstead signed for $500k first year which will count against t he cap.

Franchising either Wes or Talib will be in he $10-$11 mill range for each. Vollmer approx $8mil. Please explain to me how 2 of the 3 are signed for less than $10 million against the cap? That leaves approx $4 mill available for 15 players...with out saving anything for a rainy day. 

That does not address another WR, S, DL. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Too bad Lloyd is only a good #3 receiver.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

How many think Wilfork is 10 million dollars worth of terrific?

And all the rest are of suspect value except Brady. Unfortunately, QBs cost huge $$$$, even for the shaky ones. Ghost is a definite drag for what he brings.

This is where those who simplistically repeat, "pay the man" are rather oblivious.

And this is why I told Muzzy the draft is 90% of team building.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I thought Armstead signed for $500k first year which will count against t he cap.

Franchising either Wes or Talib will be in he $10-$11 mill range for each. Vollmer approx $8mil. Please explain to me how 2 of the 3 are signed for less than $10 million against the cap? That leaves approx $4 mill available for 15 players...with out saving anything for a rainy day. 

That does not address another WR, S, DL. 

The tag numbers for those three are Welker 11+M, Talib and Vollmer both at over 10M - thats why none of them are getting tagged - you can't use a tag on a RT because you are then paying him left tackle tag value. (same with guards and centers)

You can cut Lloyd but you then have 5M in dead money (that could be spread over two years, but you would still need to replace him with someone.) Same with Gost - he has about 1.8M in dead money if you cut him and you need a new kicker.

As far as RT they do have Cannon Zusevics and Hix as RT possibilities.

They have Ballard in those cap numbers already so probably have a minimum contract 4th TE need - hooman?

They probably do not need an RB - they have demps off reserve, but may resign woodhead depending on money.

They have Larsen at FB but could save 750K if they cut him.

If they get a new WR in draft or FA they might move Lloyd into more of a welker role and let him walk.

I think they do sign a FA CB and maybe a safety, but will be surprised if they tie up more than 6M on the CB and 4-5M on a safety.

Doubt they can afford a premium DL pass rushers DE or DT but may try to find the next Carter/Anderson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

per tom curran.

thats another 8 mil

Connolly priced right

when a poster comments on the Pats salary cap issues and potential solutions, why does it always come back to the Jets and Sanchez? What difference does it make for the Jets? Its the PAts this OP is commenting on...

because he's a Jets fan commenting about cap mismanagement

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

per tom curran.

thats another 8 mil

Connolly priced right

And yet the Jets don't have one player taking up 1/6 of their cap.

nor do they have 1 player worth taking up 1/6th of their cap, go figure. Instead they have a bench QB taking up 1/10th of their cap. Hrm HoF QB taking up 1/6th or bench player taking up 1/10th. I'd take the HoF QB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

If you cut Lloyd, only Slater is left on the WR roster.

You're going to go into next season replacing them with rookies when:

1. A lot of rookie receivers take more than a year to develop

2. Patriots haven't been the best at drafting WRs.

Jennings, White, Bryant, Thomas, Nelson, Marshall, Jackson, Wayne are among some of the most talented WRs who have taken a while to develop.

I'll say that I don't see both Welker and Lloyd back next season. Maybe just one. If neither, then they better grab a decent FA. Don't feel good about Edelman or a rookie coming in as the number 1

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

And all the rest are of suspect value except Brady. Unfortunately, QBs cost huge $$$$, even for the shaky ones. Ghost is a definite drag for what he brings.

This is where those who simplistically repeat, "pay the man" are rather oblivious.

The Patriots are one of the top 5 teams in terms of talent. There are no one man teams in the NFL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

So you think you could draft someone better than Wilfork or Gost  in this years draft?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

per tom curran.

thats another 8 mil

Connolly priced right

And yet the Jets don't have one player taking up 1/6 of their cap.

nor do they have 1 player worth taking up 1/6th of their cap, go figure. Instead they have a bench QB taking up 1/10th of their cap. Hrm HoF QB taking up 1/6th or bench player taking up 1/10th. I'd take the HoF QB

Yep, a bench QB with more playoff wins than Tom Brady since he was drafted.

You really think Sanchez would be a next year if it wasn't for the cap hit?

Sections
Shortcuts