The top nine cap hits in 2013 are projected to gobble up $65.95 million of the 2013 cap.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: The top nine cap hits in 2013 are projected to gobble up $65.95 million of the 2013 cap.

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Why get rid of Lloyd, that makes no sense. We are already paper thin at WR and $4.5mil isn't a lot for a WR. We are going to have to get a WR regardless if Welker and Edelman are resigned or not so you want to dump another WR and have Slater as your only WR signed going into the offseason? $4.5mil for a #2 WR isn't much I'd just keep Lloyd and look some place else.

Too bad Lloyd is only a good #3 receiver.

lloyd is not good. at worst case scenario replacing hm at same salary, but much better dropping him and drfting a top wr. can always add a 7th rounder or udfa.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: The top nine cap hits in 2013 are projected to gobble up $65.95 million of the 2013 cap.

In response to mia76's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

if factoring in the CFL signings, and the raises attained by some of the players, and the PAts keep the draft choices exactly where they are, they have about $14M in cap space available....also keep in mind they like to keep some in hand thru the season

there isnt a creative solution with Brady. there are 3 options. 1) pay him $21m this year and next year. 2) pro rate his bonus this year into next. this frees up $5mil this year, but bumps next years cap hit to $26mil. 3) extend him. most likely this means a 5 year $100 million deal taking him into his early 40's....

I am not sure extending Vince is a good idea with his age and amount of snaps on his body.

Pats have $11mil to $14mil available with 18 roster spots open, and Wes, Talib and Vollmer needing to be signed.

each and every time I try to point out the PAts salary cap predicament and how it is not so enviable, I get shouted down as a Jets troll...fact is, the PAts dont have the $$$ available to sign there own players, and address specific needs.

They had $18.6mil in space before the CFL signings which included raises to other players. The CFL signings barely qualify for the top 51 man contracts so they will essentially replace players like Pryor on the roster and not affect the cap space available. They still roghly have 18 mil which after the draft will end up with about $14mil. That's a ton of space to resign players and add depth players. It does limit them to not target top end payers unless they are willing to let some of their bigger FA's go but the cap isn't much of a concern.

As for those 18 spots really only 4-6 spots are above min deals with 2-3 will be replaced by draft picks. You replace the other 2-3 by resigning players or FA but the other 12-14 players will barely impact the cap situation as they will be min type of contracts 

I thought Armstead signed for $500k first year which will count against t he cap.

Franchising either Wes or Talib will be in he $10-$11 mill range for each. Vollmer approx $8mil. Please explain to me how 2 of the 3 are signed for less than $10 million against the cap? That leaves approx $4 mill available for 15 players...with out saving anything for a rainy day. 

That does not address another WR, S, DL. 

The tag numbers for those three are Welker 11+M, Talib and Vollmer both at over 10M - thats why none of them are getting tagged - you can't use a tag on a RT because you are then paying him left tackle tag value. (same with guards and centers)

You can cut Lloyd but you then have 5M in dead money (that could be spread over two years, but you would still need to replace him with someone.) Same with Gost - he has about 1.8M in dead money if you cut him and you need a new kicker.

As far as RT they do have Cannon Zusevics and Hix as RT possibilities.

They have Ballard in those cap numbers already so probably have a minimum contract 4th TE need - hooman?

They probably do not need an RB - they have demps off reserve, but may resign woodhead depending on money.

They have Larsen at FB but could save 750K if they cut him.

If they get a new WR in draft or FA they might move Lloyd into more of a welker role and let him walk.

I think they do sign a FA CB and maybe a safety, but will be surprised if they tie up more than 6M on the CB and 4-5M on a safety.

Doubt they can afford a premium DL pass rushers DE or DT but may try to find the next Carter/Anderson.

good post mia

"f they get a new WR in draft or FA they might move Lloyd into more of a welker role and let him walk."

ding ding ding...

"I think they do sign a FA CB and maybe a safety, but will be surprised if they tie up more than 6M on the CB and 4-5M on a safety."

yes on teh safety.

on cb keep talib and draft a big cb high. ifg talib wont sign lower deal 4-24mil, and we dotn tag him, i agree on fa cb and also drafting one. cb much higher need than safety even though we need the safety.

we need a pass rusher more than safety as well, if we cnat afford id move up if necessary to get our guy in draft. i like ansah, option detone jones, jordan, backseat okafor.

3rd of 3 highest needs, wr.

cbs and pass rushers i like are in rd 1 (cb-rhodes, rushers listed above), so getttgin one of these in fa is key.

good big wrs extend to at least rd 2.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

A little perspective to this, New Orleans top 9 players are at about $83 million...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap-hit/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/cap-hit/

Of the teams that made the playoffs last year, only the Colts have more money to spend than the Patriots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

SportsFan - good point. You have to have a core of high talent vet players and those guys are going to cost half or more of your cap for 10+/- players - you then fill in with rookie contracts and cheaper vets.

Brebru - love your draft insights. I think draft is where they find their DT/DE as the cost of a pass rusher is so high in FA unless you get lucky with a short term rental or an aging vet - Carter/Anderson worked Fanene was an expensive mistake. I do hope that the CFLer turns up trumps but that is hope more than expectation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

Yep, a bench QB with more playoff wins than Tom Brady since he was drafted.

Yep. And you could not give Sanchez away. Fact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

How many think Wilfork is 10 million dollars worth of terrific?

And all the rest are of suspect value except Brady. Unfortunately, QBs cost huge $$$$, even for the shaky ones. Ghost is a definite drag for what he brings.

This is where those who simplistically repeat, "pay the man" are rather oblivious.

And this is why I told Muzzy the draft is 90% of team building.

The Patriots are one of the top 5 teams in terms of talent. There are no one man teams in the NFL.

Really? Where would they rank in talent if they had Sanchez, Fitzgerald or Tannehill instead of the GOAT?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

And all the rest are of suspect value except Brady. Unfortunately, QBs cost huge $$$$, even for the shaky ones. Ghost is a definite drag for what he brings.

This is where those who simplistically repeat, "pay the man" are rather oblivious.

So you think you could draft someone better than Wilfork or Gost  in this years draft?

Doubtful. But there are always a few kickers floating around the perifery who are decent. And if you did save 10 mil on Vince, at the least you would probably be looking at signing the CB of your choice in free agency.

Would you say goodbye to Vince and Ghost if you could have your pick of the FA CBs, and sign say, Wallace from the Steelers?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

SportsFan - good point. You have to have a core of high talent vet players and those guys are going to cost half or more of your cap for 10+/- players - you then fill in with rookie contracts and cheaper vets.

Brebru - love your draft insights. I think draft is where they find their DT/DE as the cost of a pass rusher is so high in FA unless you get lucky with a short term rental or an aging vet - Carter/Anderson worked Fanene was an expensive mistake. I do hope that the CFLer turns up trumps but that is hope more than expectation.

re,

"you get lucky with a short term rental or an aging vet"

first hope

"I do hope that the CFLer turns up trumps but that is hope more than expectation."

agreed that would hlep tremendously.

"love your draft insights"

thanks bra.

i just said something similar re a post you wrote on another thread.

if we had 2 #1's id get a de and dt in draft. along with cb and wr.

extra picks o line, safety cover lb.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

So you think you could draft someone better than Wilfork or Gost  in this years draft?

Doubtful. But there are always a few kickers floating around the perifery who are decent. And if you did save 10 mil on Vince, at the least you would probably be looking at signing the CB of your choice in free agency.

Would you say goodbye to Vince and Ghost if you could have your pick of the FA CBs, and sign say, Wallace from the Steelers?

rock and a hard place.

risk trying to replace vince wiht hankins, jenkins (cant reach star)

vs

gamble on big wr and big cb in draft.

my thougts are what you posted on gost. you often acn find an out of workl kicker who cna kick well for a year (or as well as gost did this year) or a udfa.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

A little perspective to this, New Orleans top 9 players are at about $83 million...

Of the teams that made the playoffs last year, only the Colts have more money to spend than the Patriots.

A better perspective is that the Pats are cap heavy on the top 3 signed players to $42 million. So as of today, 40% of the signed dollars are invested in 3 players. Brady, cannot be restructured, he needs to be extended. Vince and Mankins have a lot of wear and tear, do you really want to extend them? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

A better perspective is that the Pats are cap heavy on the top 3 signed players to $42 million. So as of today, 40% of the signed dollars are invested in 3 players. Brady, cannot be restructured, he needs to be extended. Vince and Mankins have a lot of wear and tear, do you really want to extend them? 

The Saints have the same $42 million in their top 3 players, but have $41 million tied up in their next 6 players while the Pats are only at $23 million for those next 6. Not sure why the OP feels the Pats are in bad cap position. They have the 6th most money to spend going into free agency and the draft, and have limited draft picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

One thing we need to avoid is making too big of a deal over the end-of-season cap numbers (which are what are being reported now) without taking into account three things:

1. How many of a team's free agents not currently included in the cap numbers will be re-signed or franchised?

2. How many of a team's players under contract and currently included in the cap numbers will be cut?

3. Once that roster reshuffling because of 1 and 2 above is over with, what cap space is left and how many key positions on the roster still need to be filled?

You could also take into account draft picks, since the draft will affect roster slots that need to be filled as well. 

So it's a complex equation and you need to temper your predictions accordingly.  There are a lot of moving parts and a lot still undetermined. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

No, Wilfork is the best at his position and pretty versatile for NT. Gost is replace but I think he the one of best kick off kicker, touch backs really help your d and make your ST less exposed. I think the CB look worse than they are because of poor safety play sans McCourty and the fact they never rush the passer. I would be very wary of giving any CB top CB money. Wilfork is value is shown every snap.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Yep, a bench QB with more playoff wins than Tom Brady since he was drafted.

Yep. And you could not give Sanchez away. Fact.

Not true.  They would not give him away.

It is pretty clear the Jets would love to cut him but can't. I live in New Haven all I got his New York media the team would love to move on, well maybe besides Rex.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The Saints have the same $42 million in their top 3 players, but have $41 million tied up in their next 6 players while the Pats are only at $23 million for those next 6. Not sure why the OP feels the Pats are in bad cap position. They have the 6th most money to spend going into free agency and the draft, and have limited draft picks.

Most teams have some obvious cuts and restructures. The Pats don't. Mankins and Vince were also acrimonious negotiations, and both players have a lot of wear and tear. 

Brady has Colts/Manning written all over it. 

Sections
Shortcuts