The Underrated Kyle Arrington

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: The Underrated Kyle Arrington

Good slot corner. Great tackler. Good st player. Lousy on the outside. 

That sums up what I think of Arrington. I am glad we have him if we have 2 healthy and willing  CBs on the outside in dennard, Talib/Ryan.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

The Ravens win was nice but perspective is better. Let's realize that Flacco looked terrible and his knee injury was affecting his play and move on to Buffalo.

Arrington does well in nickel/dime situations but gets torched every time he gets out in space. The record on this is clear, he's a piece to the puzzle but a Dennard or Talib he ain't and will never be.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Arrington did not "take Cruz out of SB46".  They doubled Cruz and that opened the field up for everyone else.   And then there's that TD that Cruz scored.

Arrington cannot guard outside the numbers at all without help.  He doesn't have the speed to stay with slot guys headed outside/deep either.  The Pats overpaid for his services and BB will no doubt rectify this mistake in the future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Yep I will give you that. You have always supported him....Wait are there any DBs you havent fully endorsed? So yea you got one right...lol

I like Kyle, I really do.  Its just some people feel he should be able to atleast survive outside when you consider he is almost making the same as Talib this year. This is why BB has him playing DE, blitzing, taking on tackles,etc so BB can get his investment back. I would much rather see him blitzing or even playing linebacker or DE than playing outside which is crazy but hey! He is our guy. He still has a ways to go to be Ellis Hobbs who also battled through Groin, Rib and A tore labrum in 07, could play outside or inside and started in the SB and covered the best WR outside until Peas left em' on an island at the end of the game. Battling through injuries..? Its what I expect from millionaire football players. So yes he is valued here and DID help in the ravens win but he has a ways to go to surpass the great Ellis Hobbs!....who oh by the way was an excellent special teamer as well returning kickoffs to the house from 8 yards deep..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I like Kyle as well...however his history outside, in space, is notorious. He gets swallowed up, he actually looks uncomfortable out there.

Watch the true corners, Talib and Dennard, and how fluid they can run and turn with receivers without losing coverage with them. Arrington half the time breaks the wrong way.

The kid Ryan has good flow with receivers and can turn and still hold tight coverage.

Of course there is a spot for Kyle here and it's situation spots, and nothing wrong with that.

Again, lets not get drunk with the Raven win, bank it, but keep it real.

Think of the Bengals game...we knew the Pats were not that bad and we are being sucked in to thinking we could dope slap the Ravens if we played them in a few weeks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Another dumb thread

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The only thing Arrington is underrated at is on the discussion of worst seconday player in the NFL. His name isn't mentioned as much as it should be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

At $2.6 million against the cap this year, Arrington seems like a good buy.  His total cost over four years is $16 million, which is well below what top corners are making and probably in line with his skill and contribution as a nickel back and top quality special teamer. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I simply think $4M per for a slot CB is too much. Arrington is what he is, will never be anything more. Sure tackler, can create TO's, can and will play ST, is limited to slot only, is a major liability at outside CB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've tried to warn and I've taken heat by the trolls here, but yet again I am right. To fully understand the genius or really what is the subtle logical approach of BB the GM, you need to understand where the ROI is overall.

The production and consistency in the slot is obvious. He dominated Welkie, too, so no need to try to pretend this ins't true or Balt's offense isn't great, so that's why he dominated. He's very good. He took out Cruz in SB 46, too. It's what he does.

Arrington is one of the best slot CBs in this league and he is normally very durable. He got hurt at the end (groin) of the TB game after having a brilliant start to the season.  I tried to point that out earlier this season, too, but it was ignored as the trolls needed a scapegoat.

So, when he's been outside, not a strength, the groin isn't allowing him to over-achieve and contain perimeter WRs during games. Understandable. But, you have to admire his toughness and willingness not make excuses.

For those who don't get why Arrington is paid why he is, this is why. Our base D, as is most teams now is a nickel.    When you have great nickel who is normally durable and on the field that much, you invest in it.

Like I've said from the beginning, Talib is the real key because it keeps Arrington in his best spot as arguably the best nickel in football:

Defensive groupings: Arrington's value December, 26, 2013 DEC 26 10:00 AM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

One of the areas that will be charted throughout the season is the  New England Patriots' defensive breakdown between their sub and base packages. This can highlight player value and take us deeper into the X's and O's of each game. 

Arrington Arrington In Sunday's win against the Ravens, the Patriots were in their sub defense (5 or 6 defensive backs) on all but six snaps. It was similar the week before against the Dolphins, as the season total has risen to about 67 percent of the overall snaps in sub. 

Cornerback  Kyle Arrington is usually the Patriots' nickel back, and he played a strong game in the slot Sunday in Baltimore, both in coverage and run support. His value to the team is starter-like when considering the sub vs. base numbers and  he is paid accordingly. When Arrington struggles, it is often when he is asked to play on the outside because of injuries to others. 

Arrington's toughness also shouldn't be overlooked. He's been playing through a groin injury this season, and it wouldn't be surprising if it's an injury that requires offseason surgery. 

Overall, here are the numbers for the season (small margin for error, includes penalties): 

Sub defense: 730 of 1,086 snaps (67.2 percent) 
    Base defense: 334 of 1,086 snaps (30.7 percent) 
    Short-yardage: 22 of 1,086 snaps (2 percent)

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4756077/defensive-groupings-arringtons-value

[/QUOTE]

Underrated? Rated by who?  You've been calling him a top corner for years.  Let's see, the awful Pats D doesn't get bludgeoned by a weak Raven offense that has struggled against Cleveland twice, Buffalo, Pitt, GreenBay, Detroit and the Jets, the same pass D that just gave Tannehill a career day and 3rd  stringer Jason Campbell a 400 yard/ 3 TD day and now your bragging about Arrington?  Oh my.  What an idiot.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I stand corrected. I read Pro's reply and went and checked, and Pro is correct. I am mistaken. I thought Arrington was on the books for $4M this year,Pro is correct it is $2.6. Much easier to swallow based on Arringtons ability. I see Arrington as the 4th CB on the roster as far as talent. Nice position for the PAts to ne in finally at CB

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

Who cares what you think kraper? Who...bwahahaha!...only the Rusty contrarians and the silly sons of BUST-CHISE adhere to your nonsense... go have a good cry

Arrington is playing well at the slot corner...so-so as a regular or outside CB...better the anyone playing for the NY Jets, the most futile franchise in the NFL today  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I stand corrected. I read Pro's reply and went and checked, and Pro is correct. I am mistaken. I thought Arrington was on the books for $4M this year,Pro is correct it is $2.6. Much easier to swallow based on Arringtons ability. I see Arrington as the 4th CB on the roster as far as talent. Nice position for the PAts to ne in finally at CB

[/QUOTE]

His contract does average $4 million per year, so they'll evenutally have a higher cap cost for him, but the cap cost this year is only 2.625, rising to 3.625 next year.  In year three it goes up to 4.625 and in year four it is 5.125.  Over the first two years, the deal doesn't seem so bad from a cap perspective.  It might start looking more expensive in year three, unless the market for corners goes up or Arrington improves.  Top corners two or three seasons from now are likely to be earning 6 or 7 million per year, I guess, so I'm thinking 5.125 million in 2016 may still not be too bad a cap hit for Arrington. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Muzwell and others, including me, have pointed out how incorrect you are on his contract and Amendola's, NUMEROUS times.

It's not just Prolate right now.

Try learning from others for once and admitting when you're wrong. It won't hurt you.

Arrington might be the 4th best in overall talent, but he's the best at the slot positon, one of the best in the league at the role, a VERY IMPORTANT role in this era.

You want an overpaid slot guy, take a look at your buddy Leodis McKelvin, a top 10 draft bust whose contract is worse. Brady will be seeing him on Sunday with Edelman and Amendola in and out of the slot all day long.   I hope you enjoy, RKarp.

We seem to have a lot of anti-BB media induced know it alls in here, but when you peel back the layers and get to the heart of the matter, you come off as trolls or morons. Take your pick.

[/QUOTE]

I say they are both.....lacking football knowledge and with a purposeful axe to grind...yet also lacking the courage to be honest about it...why hide? Fear is at the core of it all...be honest about you likes and dislikes of the Pats...it'll let you sleep better at night

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Muzwell and others, including me, have pointed out how incorrect you are on his contract and Amendola's, NUMEROUS times.

Try learning from others for once and admitting when you're wrong. It won't hurt you.

Arrington might be the 4th best in overall talent, but he's the best at the slot positon, one of the best in the league at the role, a VERY IMPORTANT role in this era.

You want an overpaid slot guy, take a look at your buddy Leodis McKelvin, a top 10 draft bust whose contract is worse. Brady will be seeing him on Sunday with Edelman and Amendola in and out of the slot all day long.   I hope you enjoy, RKarp.

We seem to have a lot of anti-BB media induced know it alls in here, but when you peel back the layers and get to the heart of the matter, you come off as trolls or morons. Take your pick.

[/QUOTE]

give it a rest Russell. you have been wrong on every salary cap discussion on this board...evey one

Arrington is still at 4/$16, simply back loaded, meaning he wll either reneg in year 4 or be released

I never was a fan of McKelvin, simply used his deal in context to other CB's

Did I not clearly state to Pro that I stand corrected? What is with your reading comprehension with that 52 IQ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to melswitts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I say they are both.....lacking football knowledge and with a purposeful axe to grind...yet also lacking the courage to be honest about it...why hide? Fear is at the core of it all...be honest about you likes and dislikes of the Pats...it'll let you sleep better at night

[/QUOTE]

Nitwit, go back to pictures. Its your thing. You have zero ability to converse in the written word. Its ok, we understand..you cannot read nor write, never mind understand football.

Stop trying. Effort is appreciated, but you simply cannot pull it off

Rusell=BB ballwasher

Nitwitt=Russell ballwasher

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Reiss puts his spin on Arrington in todays chat;

JOEY (Clayton)

Hi Mike. At what point do the Pats rid themselves of Gregory? He is always out of position, misses tackles and has seemed to cost us big plays all season.

Mike   (11:05 AM)

Joey, I think they had it on their mind this season that maybe Gregory could become their third safety, and that's why they signed Adrian Wilson. But things with Wilson didn't work out. Gregory is exceptionally smart and that's one of the things the coaching staff really values with him. While he doesn't have the prototypical physical measureables, or the physical upside that maybe you'd like, he makes up for it in other areas. I put him in the Kyle Arrington category -- the type of guy you like to have on your team but maybe not in a full-time role.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yep I will give you that. You have always supported him....Wait are there any DBs you havent fully endorsed? So yea you got one right...lol

I like Kyle, I really do.  Its just some people feel he should be able to atleast survive outside when you consider he is almost making the same as Talib this year. This is why BB has him playing DE, blitzing, taking on tackles,etc so BB can get his investment back. I would much rather see him blitzing or even playing linebacker or DE than playing outside which is crazy but hey! He is our guy. He still has a ways to go to be Ellis Hobbs who also battled through Groin, Rib and A tore labrum in 07, could play outside or inside and started in the SB and covered the best WR outside until Peas left em' on an island at the end of the game. Battling through injuries..? Its what I expect from millionaire football players. So yes he is valued here and DID help in the ravens win but he has a ways to go to surpass the great Ellis Hobbs!....who oh by the way was an excellent special teamer as well returning kickoffs to the house from 8 yards deep..

[/QUOTE]

I go by what I see. Are you really mocking me for seeing McCourty's All Pro rookie year?

Really?  Christ, I remember late last year some of you saying you weren't sure with Dennard yet. lol

I agree these pros should battle through injuries, but you have to take it into account when analyzing the player, too. Also, some players are crappy when battling through the injury. He hasn't been crappy in the slot this year at all.  

It's no different than Amendola battling through his. Is he at his peak? No, but he's producing and helping. Same thing with Hightower. I believe he also had a groin issue this year middle of the season.

I mentioned these at the time, too, to include a context and be fair in analyzing, but of course it's been ignored to be able for you and your group to mock and push the anti-BB agenda, which I think I can safely say the board is more than tired of at this point.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe he's mocking your inability to admit to McCourty's huge dropoff in his second year.  I think I read somewhere that all CBs regress in their second year.  Was that you that said that?  Maybe he's mocking your inability to admit that McCourty was demoted becasue he couldn't play man D.  Hard to tell.  There is so much to mock you about.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts