The Vernon Gholston thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

The Vernon Gholston thread

I will post a weekly update on this guy. He was taken higher than Mayo in the draft.
    Gholston has 5 tackles total this season... 5 tackles?  Mayo has 5 tackles falling down. Sooo glad this guy is a jet.

Vernon Gholston | #50 | DE

New York Jets | Official Team Site

Height: 6-3   Weight: 260   Age: 24

Born: 6/5/1986 Detroit , MI

College: Ohio State

Experience: 3rd season

High School: Cass Tech HS [Detroit, MI]

team rostersquick stats (2010)

TCKL
    SCK
    FF
    INT
    --

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: The Vernon Gholston thread

Aren't there punters with more tackles than that?

He actually started last week and may start again this week (per Rex).  Rex says: "I think he may start," Ryan said. "I know he wasn't on the stat board but they couldn't run the ball when he was in there."

But yeah, Gholston isn't qualified to hold Mayo's jock strap.  BB chose wisely!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Leave us not forget that this was the guy Belichick had convinced everybody that he wanted, which may have factored into Green New Jersey grabbing him one slot ahead of the Pats (before they traded down and eventually took Mayo).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

BB's a draft master.  Not only does he usually get the guy he covets by trading down, picking that player as well as picks, but he makes your team draft Mike Mamula's and Vernon Gholston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Rex's ego shows in him not cutting this stiff.  He still thinks he can make him a player.  Sure so can I, I just have to put his face on D. Ware's body and I can too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

The Mangenious sole mistake!  Maybe he will pick up Vernon again when Ryan inevitably cuts him!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Do you have anyone still on your team from the 2008 draft besides mayo?  He aint all world either...  Usually takes 3-4 years to evaluate a draft so I went ahead and posted your draft from 3-5 years ago.  You can rate your draft master yourself.

1.10LB Jerod Mayo Tennessee from NO
    2.31DB Terrence Wheatley Colorado  
    3.15LB Shawn Crable Michigan from NO
    3.31QB Kevin O'Connell San Diego State  
    4.30DB Jonathan Wilhite Auburn  
    5.18WR Matt Slater UCLA from TB
    6.31LB Bo Ruud Nebraska  
    1.24DB Brandon Meriweather Miami from SEA
    4.28DL Kareem Brown Miami  
    5.34OL Clint Oldenburg Colorado State compensatory pick
    6.06LB Justin Rogers Southern Methodist from ARI
    6.28DB Mike Richardson Notre Dame  
    6.34RB Justise Hairston Central Connecticut compensatory pick
    6.35OL Corey Hilliard Oklahoma State compensatory pick
    7.01LB Oscar Lua Southern California from OAK
    7.37OL Mike Elgin Iowa compensatory pick
    1.21RB Laurence Maroney Minnesota  
    2.04WR Chad Jackson Florida from GB; trade 2006 2.20, 3.11
    3.22TE David Thomas Texas  
    4.09TE Garrett Mills Tulsa from DET
    4.21K Stephen Gostkowski Memphis  
    5.03OL Ryan O'Callaghan California from OAK
    6.22DL Jeremy Mincey Florida  
    6.36OL Dan Stevenson Notre Dame compensatory pick
    6.37DL Le Kevin Smith Nebraska compensatory pick
    7.21DB Willie Andrews Baylor  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

wedawederrwestupid, you are correct those two drafts were total failures minus the few players we still have.  However, 2009 and 2010 has made up for it and brought us back to where we need to be minus a few holes.  The 2011 draft and extra picks we have should more than nicely fill those and start our next run unless of course BB and TB start early and begin this year. (I keep saying we need to wait till 2012 and 2013 for our next 2 rings)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Leon/wedat...nobody cares what you think. Go back to posting about brady's hair. It's more fitting for your intelligence level.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I remember watching Gholston in a bowl game before he came, because I wonted to see what all the fuss was about. I waas appalled by what I saw that night! This was a guy playing in the biggest game of his life and he looked as if he couldn't be bothered by even being out there; no effort...none. He got blown off the ball all night and never made it close to the QB. He was a total mess.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

lmao

What does the Jets draft look like from 2008?  Gholston might be the biggest bust of last decade!

Belichick cuts players that don't make it.  The Jets keep them out of embarrassment.   lol!

Mayo is not that great?  Oh my.  Do Jets fans really think people buy into this?

BB baited Manboobs into taking Gholston and BB scored the DROY in Mayo.  You can't make this stuff up.

Mayo is having a Pro Bowl season, better than Harris.

Go look at the rest of every NFL team's 2008 draft.  No one really had a good draft. It was a weak draft class and that yielded thin crops for most NFL teams.

NY traded up for Dustin Keller.  UP.  1st rd.  Who trades up into the 1st rd for a TE?  The Jets do!

BB just scored Gronkowski in the 2nd rd and Hernandez in the 4th.

That, in a nutshell, is the difference between how the Jets look to build their team and how NE does it.

Case closed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

In Response to Re: The Vernon Gholston thread:
    [QUOTE]wedawederrwestupid, you are correct those two drafts were total failures minus the few players we still have.  However, 2009 and 2010 has made up for it and brought us back to where we need to be minus a few holes.  The 2011 draft and extra picks we have should more than nicely fill those and start our next run unless of course BB and TB start early and begin this year. (I keep saying we need to wait till 2012 and 2013 for our next 2 rings)
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Looks like you are the stupid one.  I posted 3 fail drafts, not 2.  What draft genius goes 3 straight fail drafts. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

You posted 3 straight failed drafted because you are an idiot. 

They had one bad draft in 2006 with no yield other than Gostkowski, a GREAT draft apporach in 2007 where they used 3 picks to secure to future Hall of Famers at the WR position and a starting, good Safety in Merriweather.

2008 features Mayo as the backbone of the draft, but at least it's not a TE.

I am in tears here.   Jets fans don't even look at their own drafts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Rusty, I see you like following me around the forums.  I am not even tempted to unblock you or the princess bride.  I enjoy being able to read threads that are now half the size and still do not miss much information as 90% of your posts are garbage and princess has the IQ of an eggplant.   Instead I will enjoy seeing "posts from BB are hidden" and know that you 2 are my fanboys.  Follow along, I am going to post on the Crable thread.  Nah, I think I'll go get a water from my fridge, I am a bit hung over...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hannahman. Show Hannahman's posts

Lets not forget that in those previous drafts Scott Pioli had a major influence...................look at Belichicks drafts without Pioli..................very very different........................leads me to believe that Pioli was AT LEAST part of the problem with those "so called" failed drafts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Gholston looks Tarzan, plays like Jane.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

If you blocked me, then how did you see my comments?  I don't even reply to your comments directly every time. 

Christ, you're stupid.

Late night at Gingerbread's with the "boys"?  Too many Zimas?  lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I will be sorry to see the Jets cut him someday.  Stone-Hips Gholston has been Stone-Hips since before he was drafted, just like the Jets' other first rounders Shrimpy-Arms DeWayne Robertson (already jettisoned) and Shrimpy-Arms Kyle Wilson their 2010 first round pick (not doing well lately but give him a chance to not get any better, ever).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Wilson will play this week with Lowery dinged up.  The Jets have only hit with Harris and Revis in the 1st round in the last 10 years.

Terrible, terrible yields for them. 

Keller is good, but they traded up into the 1st rd, somehow thinking he'd be gone by the time they chose in the 2nd rd. lol

Sanchez, clearly the jury is still out on him.  If he's not rolling out of the pocket or bootlegging, he's not good in the pocket.

That run game saves him every week.

It's only a matter of time with him, in my opinion, just like Cutler. You have to ask yourself why QBs want to leave the pocket so fast.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Do the Jets have anyone besides Greene and Sanchez getting PT from 2009 draft ? Ghloston is a huge bust, and Mayo is a stud. The Pats also have a lot  less costly # of rookies (Spikes, Gronk, Hernandez, Mc Courty, Cunningham) than the Jests: who spent money on free agency to cover some ineptitude in drafting players (Cromartie, Pace, LT, Jenkins, Woody , Fanaca). Revis and Ferguson are the only players that the Jets have drafted in the last five years that I would want on the team. And lets not forget the Jets routinely s--ked recently and therefore had better drafting positions than the Pats. (Ferguson 4th overall, Revis 14th overall). Not to mention that the Pats drafts last two drafts have yeilded some good players (Chung, Butler, Pryor aforementioned rooks) and unsigned Rookie FAs (Law firm).

Gronk(2nd) and Hernandez(4th) will have better production than Keller(1st). Brady(6th round) is still obviously better than Sanchez (1st round). And the Jets would not have signed LT if they sincerely felt that Greene could be the feature back. Mayo is better than Harris, but Revis is better than Mc Courty. The point is that, based on having a worse record, the Jets should be drafting better players than the Pats. The fact is they sign more players to rebuild then draft players to rebuild.

Also the 07-08 Pats roster was riddled with veteran LBs, DBs and O Linemen who had won SBs, thus making it a tough roster to crack until alot of these vets were traded or retired (Tedy, Vrabal, Harrison, Law, Big Sey etc....). The difference between the Pats and most teams is that when they decide to rebuild they still manage to win 10-12 games (as opposed to losing 8-10 games....see Jets and others)and they retool mostly via the draft and low risk FAs (Crumpler, Taylor). The Jets rebuild mostly via Free Agency (Crom, LT, Pace...this year....Fanaca, Woody, Jenkins....years past). Luckily, Super Bowls are not won by establishing who had the best FA class.  The Pats would never trade 4 players for one high draft pick, which is essentially what the Jets did with Sanchise. See you in December.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yup.  The Pats build more methodically, NY has never built a playoff proven team, EVER.

Think about that for a second:

They had the 1997 team, that's really been it outside of a miracle run in 1968 with Namath.

1982 was their second best team prior to 1997.

I'd feel bad for their fans, but they are so obnoxious all the time, I can't.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Here you go, Jets 3 years, same as your draft genious except that you had 26 picks to our 20.  I am not 100% sure about those years but I know that this year we traded picks for Holmes and Braylon.  We picked up LT and JT for $$$ only.  2008 was weak but we have 3 of those picks still on the team.  The other 2 years were very good, compared to your draft especially, yet you dont hear Jets fans talking about what geniuses we have running our show....If you want to talk about FA, lets not forget that we were hamstrung by that final 4 rule where we could not sign another team's FA before someone signed one of ours. 

1st Round (#6), Vernon Gholston DE; 1st Round (#30), Dustin Keller, TE; 4th Round (#113), Dwight Lowery, DB; 5th Round (#162), Erik Ainge, QB; 6th Round (#171), Marcus Henry, WR; 7th Round (#211), Nate Garner, OT.

1st Round (#14), Darrelle Revis CB;  2nd round (#47) David Harris, ILB; 6th Round (#47) Jacob Bender T; 7th Round (#235) Chansi Stuckey WR.

1st Round (#4) D’Brickashaw Ferguson OL; 1st Round (#29) Nick Mangold OL; 2nd Round (#49) Kellen Clemens QB; 3rd Round (#76) Anthony Schlegel LB; 3rd Round (#97) Eric Smith S; 4th Round (#103) Brad Smith WR/QB; 4th Round (#117) Leon Washington RB; 5th Round (#150) Jason Pociask TE; 6th Round (#189) Drew Coleman CB; 7th Round (#220) Titus Adams DT.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

weeweedooosh please read the following out loud to your friend (the dog) and your family (mommydoosh)

EM SOFA KING STEW PED

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

In Response to Re: The Vernon Gholston thread:
    [QUOTE]WeDerrWhatever, You completely invalidated your point by posting the Jets drafts. Those aren't impressive at all. Also if you want to bag on the Pats 06, 07, 08 drafts compared to the Pats, let's compare the cumulative records of our two teams from 07-09, it's really not even close. It's nice that the Jets are having their really good year, and I'm sorry that the Patriots won't just go away and let "the best &$%#ing team in the league" win the division. But honestly, there is no comparing these franchises over the past 17 years. If your team can't make this year count, it's never going to happen. BTW, how is "The Terminator" doing compared to McCourty, Gronk, Cunningham, Mayo, Hernandez or Deaderick?
    Posted by heisthejuan[/QUOTE]

I dont expect the reigning afc east champs to go away and let us have anything.  we are going to take it.  I wasnt the one posting what awesome draft experts the jets are, the 12 year old OP was.  I just showed him that he may not be as great as he thought.  I thought Mangini did decent in 07 and 08 and Rex, well he did excellent as rookie HC of the NYJ.  as for the terminator, I think he is 1-0 against those awesome picks you named.

Sections
Shortcuts