The Vernon Gholston thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: The Vernon Gholston thread

I thought this thread was about how bad the Gholston pick was. Why is the Pats run defense being discussed? Please everyone, get back on topic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Because our troll here, Fat Rex, wants to deflect from the fact that Gholston is a big time bust, the worst of the last decade.

That's why.

Time to ban Phat Rex, everyone.  I think he's done here.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

6 tackles divided by 10 games = 0.6 tackles a game
    VG contract for 2010 is 6.5 million divide that by 16 = 406,250.00 per game.

pretty steep price for half a tackle a game

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Phatty why do you insist on bringing up the Jest defense as a whole? This thread is about Gholston and his lack of production. The Jest d would be even better if they could anything out of Vernon but they haven't. I compared him to Mayo because they were drafted close together but it's not a fair comparison DE to LBer and Mayo dwarfs VG in production. I also compared him to Deadrick our 7th round rookie DE and he has more production than VG. Yes the Jest d overall is very good but VG svcks and is a BUST at 6.5 mil a year so take that as you said and shove it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: The Vernon Gholston thread:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Vernon Gholston thread : If I were you, I'd want me banned too.  You took quite a beating today. 
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

Laughable.  You get caught up in a couple of brain f*rt typos and act like that's a beating, which is hilarious. No one is buying your spins.

You're an obnoxious loser who has anger issues.

lol

Look at this thread alone.  You are on here trying to spin why Gholston isn't a bust and an embarrassment to Tannenrube.

You actually compared Maroney to Gholston. lol!!

At least Maroney started, produced and scored TDs, etc. You know, he actually did something!

He also wasn't taken top 10.

Gholston was taken 7th overall and has done jack squat for 2.5 seasons and your PSL dollars pay for his butt on that roster.   What a joke!

Your approach to debating is to deflect and spin and not even focus on the thread itself.

You also think NY will be loaded for years to come and you are flat out wrong.

I know it's embarrassing for you for a Pats fan to have more of a handle on your own team's sales gimmicks, draft failures/mediocrity and future, but that's your problem.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Vernon Gholston thread : Do some more math for me, would you. Divide the number of points given up by the number of games multiply it by the number three defense in the NFL.  Take that number and shove it somewhere close to the 25th ranked defense and tell me who is getting a better value, the Jets or the patsies.
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

Rex - I very much dislike going against a fellow Jet fan who at least seems to be a true fan. However, your arguments are not that strong.

The Jets have been notorious for screwing up the draft (Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino) and it hasn't stopped. The Gholston pick was horrible. You don't take a shot with the 6th pick in the draft. You go for a sure thing. That player doesn't need to be a HoFer, but they do need to contribute on a weekly basis. The Jets screwed the pooch with it and there is no argument for any other selection by any team that will take it away or justify it.

Also, The NE Patriots are the standard bearer this past decade in the NFL. They have the same exact record as the Jets do as of today and this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. There coach and QB have logged as many post season games as our Head Coach and QB have logged in their respective positions in their entire NFL careers.

I agree with you that this Jets team can do some serious things this year. I believe they will, but until I see them in a Super Bowl, or at least consistently win the division, I don't see why it is necessary to tug on Superman's cape. And that seems to be what you are doing.  I think it is best to keep the conversation on a level playing field.

Anyway, just one mans opinion.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

You're flat out dumb on this topic or just such a homer, you are so far gone, unable to see straight.

BB praises all kinds of players before a draft...or not at all.

Do you think he praised Gholston on purpose?  lol

He totally duped Tannenbube there.  Gholston had tons of knocks on him coming out and he was in no way pegged as a 3-4 player.

Gholston is more than a miss.  It's the kind of botched pick that could cripple what NY is trying to do (build a winner consistently).

You cannot miss in the top 10.

The fact they play him, pretending he's effective, his clearly a spin job by that front office.

The Jets poor draft history is "absurd"?  Really?

Gee, who are those dorks having off the rafters every year on draft day in NY?   Upset fans for no reason or fans who haven't seen a title since 1968 and have something to worry about with 1st rd Jets picks the last 20-25 years?

You can't say NY passed on Marino and "many teams did". Not all teams were looking for a QB!

NY was!!

Christ, can you be any more of a homer???

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

No, dumb-dumb.  But he absolutely went out of his way to bait NY on Gholston.

That was hilarious.

He totally sold how much Gholston would be great for the 3-4, etc, when it was clear Gholston was not.

Gholston also has a low football IQ.

Just admit.  The Jets picked a guy who has been paid millions for basically nothing.

Does he even have a QB pressure this year? lol!!

BB also duped the Jets on Robertson.   That was funny too.

Keep in mind, NY tossed picks away to trade up for Revis. Good thing that worked out for the Jets.

So, BB, forced them to waste a later pick to move up.

lol!

PS I might add it was WIDLEY rumored NE knew NY wanted a CB and wanted McCourty.

NE wanted McCourty.   So, BB trades down having a gut feeling McCourty will be there at #27, adds a pick and still blocks the Jets from getting their CB choice.

I'd be ticked off if I were you, too.

FLEECED:

RYAN: McCourty reminds me of Revis

"I'm not talking about the type of player, but just the kind of passion he has, he reminds you of Darrelle (Revis), a guy that just eats it up and loves playing," Ryan said. "Their coach told me he had over 100 snaps in one game, because he played a ton of snaps on defense, and he played all the special teams.

"The kid is legit ... there's no question about it. He's a great kid."

The Patriots took McCourty with the 27th pick, two spots before the Jets chose another corner, former Boise State star Kyle Wilson. Ryan said he wasn't surprised McCourty has already locked down a starting spot in the Patriots' secondary.

"We loved him, too," Ryan said. "I think he went (two) picks in front of Kyle, but both those guys were right next to each other."

Despite his struggles Monday night against the Ravens, Ryan also praised Wilson, saying the rookie from Boise State had the best man-to-man coverage skills of any player in April's draft.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Show me where BB specifically went out of his way to talk about Revis before the draft.

Christ, you're dumb.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to justy admit the Gholston pick was an all time terrible pick in the history of the draft?

The guy shouldn't even be on the roster, let alone on the field!

The other busts you named at least started and did something.  Gholston gives the name "bust" a new meaning.

He's Ryan Leaf level.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]No, dumb-dumb.  But he absolutely went out of his way to bait NY on Gholston. That was hilarious. He totally sold how much Gholston would be great for the 3-4, etc, when it was clear Gholston was not. Gholston also has a low football IQ. Just admit.  The Jets picked a guy who has been paid millions for basically nothing. Does he even have a QB pressure this year? lol!! BB also duped the Jets on Robertson.   That was funny too. Keep in mind, NY tossed picks away to trade up for Revis. Good thing that worked out for the Jets. So, BB, forced them to waste a later pick to move up. lol! PS I might add it was WIDLEY rumored NE knew NY wanted a CB and wanted McCourty. NE wanted McCourty.   So, BB trades down having a gut feeling McCourty will be there at #27, adds a pick and still blocks the Jets from getting their CB choice. I'd be ticked off if I were you, too. FLEECED: RYAN: McCourty reminds me of Revis "I'm not talking about the type of player, but just the kind of passion he has, he reminds you of Darrelle (Revis), a guy that just eats it up and loves playing," Ryan said. "Their coach told me he had over 100 snaps in one game, because he played a ton of snaps on defense, and he played all the special teams. "The kid is legit ... there's no question about it. He's a great kid." The Patriots took McCourty with the 27th pick, two spots before the Jets chose another corner, former Boise State star Kyle Wilson. Ryan said he wasn't surprised McCourty has already locked down a starting spot in the Patriots' secondary. "We loved him, too," Ryan said. "I think he went (two) picks in front of Kyle, but both those guys were right next to each other." Despite his struggles Monday night against the Ravens, Ryan also praised Wilson, saying the rookie from Boise State had the best man-to-man coverage skills of any player in April's draft.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Without getting caught up anymore in this conversation, if you really believe that BB went out of his way so the Jets would draft Gholston, then I have a bridge to sell you. The scouting report on Gholston was a 60/40 split in favor of the kid. I do not believe for one minute that BB saying anything positive about him was the deciding factor in the Jets making the pick. The Jets made the pick based on a need of not only acquiring a defensive lineman, but also in hopes of making a big splash. I thought there were a couple of other picks that were a safer bet, but the Jets went all in and lost. And sadly, this is not the first time it has happened. But your theory is way off base. If there was even an inkling of truth behind it, the NY print rags would have ben all over it because they like nothing better than to spit on the NY teams.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Name one player the Pats have missed in the top 10.

BB doesn't have a mysterious power, little boy, but he knows what he wants in terms of coachable Patriots players who fit the system.

He'd rather use his coaching skills because, you know, the guy can really coach.

He doesn't wildly panic and just select someone like the Jets always do in Round 1.

The D is "awful"? We disagree there because you are an irrational, jealous turd.

But, I would say NE's D is a complex 3-4 that uses a lot of zone and asks players to be responsible for a lot of different things, as compared to a college style 4-3 defense that most teams use in the NFL.

I don't see too many coaches starting 4 rookies on D and actually progressing with those players all at once.

Get it yet, drippy?

Rex Ryan implemented a scheme with two former Baltimore players, where the Jets personnel, including your boyfreind, Revis, and David Harris HAVE IMPROVED in that system.

They were already good before, but had 3 years under their belt to become VERY good.

It's not learned overnight.

You do realize that BB's father was a scout and he was watching film when he was 12, correct?

This isn't mysterious. This guy was born to find talent, coach and analyze the game.

Wake up, RUBE.

22. This post has been removed.