The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up.

A couple of weeks ago I watched UC Davis play against UC Berkeley.  The players on Berkeley were bigger and faster across the board.  The game ended something like 50+ to 3.  During the third quarter there was a loose ball and several players from Davis jumped in to the pile so passionately that there were a bunch of helmets colliding.  They came out with the ball.  That play has entered my mind several times since then, it was awesome.
    I want the team to win, partly b/c they are New England and largely because of who they are and what they represent as an organization.
    There is more to being a fan of a team than counting wins and losses.  Right now the team is constituted such that this year and the next few will be amoung the most exciting club history.  The coach and quarterback are in place, along with some other great players like Wilfork, and there are many exciting young players who will develop on a weekly bases; hopefully resulting in some big playoff and SB wins to come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up.:
    [QUOTE]I'm speaking to the fans of the team. I feel the need, why? Because I think there are a lot of crybabies in New England sports, particular with the Patriots, and the expectation level versus the enjoyment of games has spoiled many fans, including myself in previous seasons. Which part ticked you off, EnochRoot, the part where I said, "understand your role"? Keep perspective here, I'm targeting a specific audience. I am not telling anyone that they are or are not a fan. I'm challenging the depth of our allegiance to a team we all share and love by asking people, fans of the New England Patriots, to not do what it is they expect the team won't do themselves; that is feel sorry and concede opportunity to the idea of defeat.
    Posted by Brendon-Patrick[/QUOTE]

Well, you are assuming I am "ticked off." Wrong assumption. I just happen to disagree with people who feel they need to tell others how to behave. Too bad.

I do find it interesting that you feel fine telling people how they should act (Honestly, who appointed you the arbiter of fandom again?), but when challenged you basically don't like people telling you not to do what you are doing. I am sure you agree the hypocrisy is apparent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

EnochRoot, with all due respect, BP would be a hypocrit if he said, "root for the Pats," then he rooted against them.  He is not a hypocrit for agreeing with his take and disagreeing with yours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

I have been a Patriot Fan since 1967. I have seen it all. I will be 60 years old in several months, if BB, BK & TB do not get another Lombardi, I can live with it. Would it be great if they did? Sure it would be.....almost as good a a picture of GAMER in her leather chaps.  The three championships they have won were incredible experiences for me...especially the first one and the last one against my home town Iggles. THEY OWE ME NOTHING....other than trying to do their very best to win...every game..which I believe they try to do.   The rest is just gravy!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I think it depends on your perspective and how spoiled you are as a fan. For example, last night I told a friend of mine that I didn't see the Pats as a championship (Super Bowl) caliber team this year. He asked me, "throwing in the towel already?" I said, no! I don't expect the Super Bowl every year. I think the Pats are potentially a playoff team and if they have some ups and downs and make the playoffs and LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD, which I'm not sure they did last year against the Ravens, I'm good with that. I care more about intensity of effort on the field than I do about having a Super Bowl team every year. Sustained excellence impresses me, so let's see what they can do. 

The only thing I didn't care for in your post was, "We're only getting closer." That's where you lost me. Losing Kevin Faulk, for example, didn't make us closer to the postseason. But it is a another challenge for this team to rise above. As long as they try to do that with heart, I'll cheer for them. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : Well, you are assuming I am "ticked off." Wrong assumption. I just happen to disagree with people who feel they need to tell others how to behave. Too bad. I do find it interesting that you feel fine telling people how they should act (Honestly, who appointed you the arbiter of fandom again?), but when challenged you basically don't like people telling you not to do what you are doing. I am sure you agree the hypocrisy is apparent.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

I can see how you find that hypocritical, but as another member said, I simply disagree with your attitude about all of this. I said, "Don't give up," that's the message I've been sending. That's what I was telling people, don't give up. You responded with a disgusted, insulting comment in italic font, asked a question which told me you missed the point of my post, and I disagree with your take on this subject. Simple as that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

[QUOTE]I think it depends on your perspective and how spoiled you are as a fan. For example, last night I told a friend of mine that I didn't see the Pats as a championship (Super Bowl) caliber team this year. He asked me, "throwing in the towel already?" I said, no! I don't expect the Super Bowl every year. I think the Pats are potentially a playoff team and if they have some ups and downs and make the playoffs and LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD, which I'm not sure they did last year against the Ravens, I'm good with that. I care more about intensity of effort on the field than I do about having a Super Bowl team every year. Sustained excellence impresses me, so let's see what they can do.  The only thing I didn't care for in your post was, " We're only getting closer." That's where you lost me. Losing Kevin Faulk, for example, didn't make us closer to the postseason. But it is a another challenge for this team to rise above. As long as they try to do that with heart, I'll cheer for them. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Well, do you agree that we're getting closer to seeing a team that is better than the team we watched even a few weeks ago? We're (the team) is only getting closer to improvement, that's basically what I was getting at with the last tidbit but you can take it a number of different ways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]EnochRoot, with all due respect, BP would be a hypocrit if he said, "root for the Pats," then he rooted against them.  He is not a hypocrit for agreeing with his take and disagreeing with yours.
    Posted by lightningbrain[/QUOTE]

Re-read the post to see that isn't what I was talking about. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : I can see how you find that hypocritical, but as another member said, I simply disagree with your attitude about all of this. I said, "Don't give up," that's the message I've been sending. That's what I was telling people, don't give up. You responded with a disgusted, insulting comment in italic font, asked a question which told me you missed the point of my post, and I disagree with your take on this subject. Simple as that.
    Posted by Brendon-Patrick[/QUOTE]

Good lord, was it that unclear?

Disagreement isn't hypocrisy and it isn't what I wrote. If you don't understand what I wrote, please don't re-interpret it to help yourself. You are being hypocritical because you feel perfectly justified in telling people how to behave, but get offended when told to do otherwise. Not a difficult concept.

And, no, if all you wrote was "Don't give up." I likely wouldn't have responded to your thread. 

I am responding to the fact that you somehow fell you have the right to tell people how to behave and judge them if they don't behave the way you want them to.  This is the third time I have written this. I am not sure why you want my response to mean something else.

So, for a fourth time, it isn't your message (which by the way sounds more like you are trying to convince yourself of something in a Stuart Smalley kind of way) it is that you are judging others on how they should behave as fans. Again, who made you the arbiter of what is the right way to act?

The answer is "No One" so keep your judgements to yourself.

BTW, the quote is from the movie "As Good As It Gets" and is said by Mo Udall to the Pollyanna housekeeper insisting that he be cheery. My apologies that your delicate sensibilities found it distasteful.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

The fact of the matter is: at least half the teams in the league are capable of winning the SB every year if the stars align.  If almost any team stays healthy, and a couple of key players develop into beasts, then they could make the play-offs and go far.  What's more, teams that start out poorly in a given year don't always stay that way.  Cowboy fans are liable to look back in week 14 this year and think to themselves, "I can't believe I ever doubted this team!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I do not think fans here are "giving up".  I believe it is a level of expectation that is so high in their minds, just a little slip up by the Pats, and it is all doom and gloom.  Recall all the posts that occurred after the Bengals game and the expectations for the Jets game?  After the Jets debacle, you even had some posters who said the Pats would even lose to the Bills!  Talk about Jekyll and Hyde fans!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]I do not think fans here are "giving up".  I believe it is a level of expectation that is so high in their minds, just a little slip up by the Pats, and it is all doom and gloom.  Recall all the posts that occurred after the Bengals game and the expectations for the Jets game?  After the Jets debacle, you even had some posters who said the Pats would even lose to the Bills!  Talk about Jekyll and Hyde fans!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I agree Bill.. I don't know, nor have I ever met a fan of any sport that just quits.
    In the Fall I spend Saturday and Sunday watching College and pro Ball all day.
    I can't imagine somebody mailing it in and taking up knitting because their team was having a bad game or a bad season.If I'm rooting for a team that I feel has no chance I watch the games with respect to the draft and what we can do next season.....With Football anyway. I don't particularly care for most other sports other than just being a passive observer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

How long has Brady taken snaps in a Pats uniform?

Yet, he made his statement in 2010. Since losing SB42, the Pats have been 0-5 vs Pitt/SD/Indy/NO, 2-3 vs Miami/NYJ, and 0-1 in the postseason. The last 2 seasons were forgettable at best and they've looked bad in the 2nd halves of both games this season.

Playoff fodder teams don't generate the kind of buzz that Brady's past teams have grown accustomed to. Last week's loss was par for the course of the last 2 years. If Brady wants to see renewed enthusiasm then he and his teammates must earn it back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Hmmm, seems like the worst thing you can do is kidnap opposing teams' fans, ritualistically kill them, and bury them in your back yard.  I mean, it's a subject I have no interest in, but....hmmmm, where was I?
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Yeah . . .

that would be worse.

But seriously, I don't see how fans coming into a forum like this and b*tching about the team's play constitues "giving up" in any way. The Pats looked lights-out at the start of the Green New Jersey game and then, when Ryan switched up his defense, the Pats disappeared. There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about that, but pointing out that the win over Cincinnatti might have been misleading or that Rex Ryan may be a better coach than some of us here prefer to credit isn't "giving up," it's accepting the evidence of one's senses.

I suspect that if the internet hadn't evolved, and people were still having this kind of discussion in barrooms instead of anonymously, in the ether, one of two things would happen. There would be a lot fewer people mouthing off about what kind of fan other people should be . . .

or there would be a lot more people getting corrective orthodontia.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

^
    ^
    ^ remember folks Squats2p-mike admitted to wearing a bag over head in Foxboro. He gave up and was trying to humiliate the the patriots

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]How long has Brady taken snaps in a Pats uniform? Yet, he made his statement in 2010. Since losing SB42, the Pats have been 0-5 vs Pitt/SD/Indy/NO, 2-3 vs Miami/NYJ, and 0-1 in the postseason. The last 2 seasons were forgettable at best and they've looked bad in the 2nd halves of both games this season. Playoff fodder teams don't generate the kind of buzz that Brady's past teams have grown accustomed to. Last week's loss was par for the course of the last 2 years. If Brady wants to see renewed enthusiasm then he and his teammates must earn it back.
    Posted by CubanPete[/QUOTE]
    Was this the fact of the week on SC, it's the second time I've seen you post it.

Anyway, I completely disagree that the fans would or should not be enthusiastic about this team unless they win some big games.  I think that's a frontrunner type of attitude.  Doesn't matter, no matter who they beat, people will say "that team wasn't any good." 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : Good lord, was it that unclear? Disagreement isn't hypocrisy and it isn't what I wrote. If you don't understand what I wrote, please don't re-interpret it to help yourself. You are being hypocritical because you feel perfectly justified in telling people how to behave, but get offended when told to do otherwise. Not a difficult concept. And, no, if all you wrote was "Don't give up." I likely wouldn't have responded to your thread.  I am responding to the fact that you somehow fell you have the right to tell people how to behave and judge them if they don't behave the way you want them to.  This is the third time I have written this. I am not sure why you want my response to mean something else. So, for a fourth time, it isn't your message (which by the way sounds more like you are trying to convince yourself of something in a Stuart Smalley kind of way) it is that you are judging others on how they should behave as fans. Again, who made you the arbiter of what is the right way to act? The answer is "No One" so keep your judgements to yourself. BTW, the quote is from the movie "As Good As It Gets" and is said by Mo Udall to the Pollyanna housekeeper insisting that he be cheery. My apologies that your delicate sensibilities found it distasteful.

Was I really telling people how to behave? If you don't understand what I'm saying, don't reinterpret it to help yourself.

"You might not like the second half put in by Tom Brady. But that doesn't mean you should curl up, afraid, and start preying that everything comes back down to earth."

Is this not a fair depiction? There have been plenty of people who've overreacted. I'm not telling anyone they can't stress out; but disappointment for them doesn't mean they should go sour on the prospects of the rest of the season. That's all this is.

"Hoping for better and anticipating the best yet to come is different than shutting down and not leaving an open mind to the potential that is abound."

This is basically a shot at sports personalities in the media who try to forecast the future with irrational assumptions based off the last thing there was for them to look at. Sure, there are trends from previous seasons with different players on different types of teams. Those are entirely different situations that are in the past. Early in this 2010 season, plays have been lost while others have been made, and no matter the results, someone or some people are going to be held accountable. Try to understand that the past isn't necessarily indicative of the future.

"You can have an opinion, and you can make guesses and claims, [can you not?] but as a fan of the team you say you root for [the New England Patriots], doing exactly the opposite [of rooting, which would be panic and surrender] is only damaging to the cause [enjoying football and showing a progressive enthusiasm towards the Patriots success]."

Taken from Dictonary.com:

root

3   [root or, sometimesroot]  Show IPA
    –verb (used without object)
    to encourage a team or contestant by cheering or applauding enthusiastically.
    to lend moral support: The whole group will be rooting forhim.
    Origin: 
    1885–90, Americanism  perh. var. of rout

"Frustration is curable, understand your role in all of this."

I'm just saying what may already be known, but easily forgotten.

"Honestly, I have faith in this team and I expect improvement will be made. We're only getting closer [to seeing how the 2010 Patriots really finish]."

I feel fine telling others not to be pussiez by getting all worked up when Tom Brady has a bad half throwing the football or when the Patriots lose a game to the stinkin' Jets. You've completely missed the greater point of this thread, which was to bring us all to a clearer state of mind. I'm curious, how have you [no, this isn't directed just at you EnochRoot] handled the Patriots recent loss?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]^ ^ ^ remember folks Squats2 p-mike  admitted to wearing a bag over head in Foxboro. He gave up and was trying to humiliate the the patriots
    Posted by harleyroadking[/QUOTE]

Dude, why don't you go develop a crush on something else and let the adults talk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]^ ^ ^ remember folks Squats2 p-mike  admitted to wearing a bag over head in Foxboro. He gave up and was trying to humiliate the the patriots
    Posted by harleyroadking[/QUOTE]

I dunno. That still doesn't sound like giving up. He was actually at the game to do this. The message more says to me that I care enough to show up, but your play is embarrassing. Do something about it. If he didn't care, why bother going through the trouble of even finding a bag?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : Was I really telling people how to behave? If you don't understand what I'm saying, don't reinterpret it to help yourself. " You might not like the second half put in by Tom Brady. But that doesn't mean you should curl up, afraid, and start preying that everything comes back down to earth." Is this not a fair depiction? There have been plenty of people who've overreacted. I'm not telling anyone they can't stress out; but disappointment for them doesn't mean they should go sour on the prospects of the rest of the season. That's all this is. "

Who cares if someone overreacts? Once again, who appointed you arbiter of fandom? And, yes, you did tell people how not to behave and you still judge them because you think they overreacted. 

Hoping for better and anticipating the best yet to come is different than shutting down and not leaving an open mind to the potential that is abound." This is basically a shot at sports personalities in the media who try to forecast the future with irrational assumptions based off the last thing there was for them to look at. Sure, there are trends from previous seasons with different players on different types of teams. Those are entirely different situations that are in the past. Early in this 2010 season, plays have been lost while others have been made, and no matter the results, someone or some people are going to be held accountable. Try to understand that the past isn't necessarily indicative of the future. "

Geez, this is a new spin. Now it is the media. Before it was all overreactive fans. 

My reaction from this past week? 

The Pats failed in making the right adjustments in the second half. The players failed to execute the plays given them. They got outplayed and outcoached.

The problem I see is the continuation of lack of adjustment that was so obvious last year. I felt the same in watching the collapses during the last two pre-season games, but could brush it off for all the reasons there is a preseason.

Watching the Cinci game brought it back. People said that they dominated and that all of Palmer's passing yards were catch up yards. Well, they were still outscored in the second half and without the D and Special Teams contributing points, that game could have been a debacle.

Same thing with the Jets - great first half, horrendous second half. It is a cause for concern and it is a pattern. No need to panic, but don't pretend this team doesn't have issues. 

I am also not about to curl up and die because of it. Having watched all Boston sports teams for 4 decades now, I don't think I would ever consider stopping. 

It is the ones who keep bringing up about others but really sound like they are trying to convince themselves are the ones I think might stop.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : Was I really telling people how to behave? If you don't understand what I'm saying, don't reinterpret it to help yourself. " You might not like the second half put in by Tom Brady. But that doesn't mean you should curl up, afraid, and start preying that everything comes back down to earth." Is this not a fair depiction? There have been plenty of people who've overreacted. I'm not telling anyone they can't stress out; but disappointment for them doesn't mean they should go sour on the prospects of the rest of the season. That's all this is. " Who cares if someone overreacts? Once again, who appointed you arbiter of fandom? And, yes, you did tell people how not to behave and you still judge them because you think they overreacted.    Hoping for better and anticipating the best yet to come is different than shutting down and not leaving an open mind to the potential that is abound." This is basically a shot at sports personalities in the media who try to forecast the future with irrational assumptions based off the last thing there was for them to look at. Sure, there are trends from previous seasons with different players on different types of teams. Those are entirely different situations that are in the past. Early in this 2010 season, plays have been lost while others have been made, and no matter the results, someone or some people are going to be held accountable. Try to understand that the past isn't necessarily indicative of the future. " Geez, this is a new spin. Now it is the media. Before it was all overreactive fans.  My reaction from this past week?  The Pats failed in making the right adjustments in the second half. The players failed to execute the plays given them. They got outplayed and outcoached. The problem I see is the continuation of lack of adjustment that was so obvious last year. I felt the same in watching the collapses during the last two pre-season games, but could brush it off for all the reasons there is a preseason. Watching the Cinci game brought it back. People said that they dominated and that all of Palmer's passing yards were catch up yards. Well, they were still outscored in the second half and without the D and Special Teams contributing points, that game could have been a debacle. Same thing with the Jets - great first half, horrendous second half. It is a cause for concern and it is a pattern. No need to panic, but don't pretend this team doesn't have issues.  I am also not about to curl up and die because of it. Having watched all Boston sports teams for 4 decades now, I don't think I would ever consider stopping.  It is the ones who keep bringing up about others but really sound like they are trying to convince themselves are the ones I think might stop.  

"It is the ones who keep bringing up about others but really sound like they are trying to convince themselves are the ones I think might stop."

Ah, so you think you know how certain groups of fans behave and respond in the face of "adversity", and you called those types of people out? Interesting.

I don't think you handled my last explanation of this thread very well. You're dodging points and taking things personal.

"Geez, this is a new spin. Now it is the media. Before it was all overreactive fans."

Aren't local media personalities supposed to be voices of the fans? Wouldn't that make those people fans, (by default), as well? Or maybe just people with an opinion on a microphone. Gee, there really isn't much of a difference. What an idea!

Com'on.

Negative responses, no matter by who in this situation, can be interpreted as panicking and blindly loosing faith. I'd classify those characterizations as "giving up".

That's my judgment, those are my observations.

If you don't panic and grow shortsighted, then why should you feel the need to assert yourself pessimistically into this conversation to begin with? After all, this is a discussion over the idea that some fans become pessimistic very easily!

You said, "Who cares if someone overreacts?", and well, I say, who cares if you think I feel there is obvious room for improvement when other fans overreact too much-too often? Who appointed you arbiter of fandom interactions? Is there anything that makes your word of me better than my suggestion to others? No! I offered advice to other people, fans of the New England Patriots in particular. I have not forced anybody into following my beliefs and opinions. You're telling me that what I'm doing as a fan is wrong. And yet you're getting on me for point out some flaws in the way some of us fans express ourselves? Do you see the hypocrisy now? It lies with you!

And I agree with you about this, by the way: "That still doesn't sound like giving up. He was actually at the game to do this. The message more says to me that I care enough to show up, but your play is embarrassing. Do something about it. If he didn't care, why bother going through the trouble of even finding a bag?"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

"It is the ones who keep bringing up about others but really sound like they are trying to convince themselves are the ones I think might stop."
    Ah, so you think you know how certain groups of fans behave and respond in the face of "adversity", and you called those types of people out? Interesting.

No, this comment was indirectly pointed at you, but you didn't get it. I was saying that you are trying to convince yourself not to lose hope by telling others what to do. You are projecting your fears and insecurities onto others. You are basically talking out loud to convince calm yourself down.
    And, I wasn't "calling them out". I said these are the types that might stop rooting for their team. I didn't say it was right or wrong. 

I don't think you handled my last explanation of this thread very well. You're dodging points and taking things personal.
    "Geez, this is a new spin. Now it is the media. Before it was all overreactive fans."
    Aren't local media personalities supposed to be voices of the fans? Wouldn't that make those people fans, (by default), as well? Or maybe just people with an opinion on a microphone. Gee, there really isn't much of a difference. What an idea!
    Com'on.
    Negative responses, no matter by who in this situation, can be interpreted as panicking and blindly loosing faith. I'd classify those characterizations as "giving up".

You said it. "Your last explanation." My point was that you hadn't mentioned any of this in your original post but suddenly you are talking about the media as well in YOUR LATEST EXPLANATION

You don't mention the media in your original post and it reads as if it was entirely directed at fans. That is why I said you were spinning because you are.

There is a saying here in DC - If you are explaining, you are failing.

If you don't panic and grow shortsighted, then why should you feel the need to assert yourself pessimistically into this conversation to begin with? After all, this is a discussion over the idea that some fans become pessimistic very easily!

Simply because people who need to tell others how to behave as fans need to be told to stop and get a grip. There is simply no such thing as a "true" fan. The meaning is so subjective that it has no meaning. You are only trying to say that people should be more like you. The irony is that you are one of the ones responding to panic.

You said, "Who cares if someone overreacts?", and well, I say, who cares if you think I feel there is obvious room for improvement when other fans overreact too much-too often? Who appointed you arbiter of fandom interactions? Is there anything that makes your word of me better than my suggestion to others? No! I offered advice to other people, fans of the New England Patriots in particular. I have not forced anybody into following my beliefs and opinions. You're telling me that what I'm doing as a fan is wrong. And yet you're getting on me for point out some flaws in the way some of us fans express ourselves? Do you see the hypocrisy now? It lies with you!

Gee, brilliant. The "You did it, too." fallacy. Look it up. It doesn't prove anything. It doesn't even demonstrate that our actions were equivalent. It just says that you find it hypocritical that you got annoyed when told to stop after you had told fans how to behave. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

Wearing a bag over your head is never right...ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

[QUOTE]"It is the ones who keep bringing up about others but really sound like they are trying to convince themselves are the ones I think might stop." Ah, so you think you know how certain groups of fans behave and respond in the face of "adversity", and you called those types of people out? Interesting. No, this comment was indirectly pointed at you, but you didn't get it. I was saying that you are trying to convince yourself not to lose hope by telling others what to do. You are projecting your fears and insecurities onto others. You are basically talking out loud to convince calm yourself down. And, I wasn't "calling them out". I said these are the types that might stop rooting for their team. I didn't say it was right or wrong.  I don't think you handled my last explanation of this thread very well. You're dodging points and taking things personal. " Geez, this is a new spin. Now it is the media. Before it was all overreactive fans." Aren't local media personalities supposed to be voices of the fans? Wouldn't that make those people fans, (by default), as well? Or maybe just people with an opinion on a microphone. Gee, there really isn't much of a difference. What an idea! Com'on. Negative responses, no matter by who in this situation, can be interpreted as panicking and blindly loosing faith. I'd classify those characterizations as "giving up". You said it. "Your last explanation." My point was that you hadn't mentioned any of this in your original post but suddenly you are talking about the media as well in YOUR LATEST EXPLANATION .  You don't mention the media in your original post and it reads as if it was entirely directed at fans. That is why I said you were spinning because you are. There is a saying here in DC - If you are explaining, you are failing. If  you  don't panic and grow shortsighted, then why should  you  feel the need to assert yourself  pessimistically  into this conversation to begin with?  After all, this is a discussion over the idea that some fans become pessimistic very easily! Simply because people who need to tell others how to behave as fans need to be told to stop and get a grip. There is simply no such thing as a "true" fan. The meaning is so subjective that it has no meaning. You are only trying to say that people should be more like you. The irony is that you are one of the ones responding to panic. You said, "Who cares if someone overreacts?", and w ell, I say, who cares if you think I feel there is obvious room for improvement when other fans overreact too much-too often? Who appointed  you  arbiter of fandom interactions? Is there anything that makes your word of me better than my suggestion to others? No! I offered advice to other people, fans of the New England Patriots in particular. I have not forced anybody into following my beliefs and opinions. You're telling me that what I'm doing as a fan is wrong. And yet you're getting on me for point out some flaws in the way some of us fans express ourselves? Do you see the hypocrisy now? It lies with you! Gee, brilliant. The "You did it, too." fallacy. Look it up. It doesn't prove anything. It doesn't even demonstrate that our actions were equivalent. It just says that you find it hypocritical that you got annoyed when told to stop after you had told fans how to behave.   

Thanks for telling me what my direction was with this thread. You know me better than I do apparently.

Hey, do you agree that as a fan, giving up on your team is the worst thing you can do? Believe it or not, there have been people out there who've given up on the Pats chances at a Super Bowl title this season. And you know what? Many of these dimwits will point to the second half of the Jets game and sulk. This thread, all this is, is to enlighten people on the idea that jumping the gun after every game is silly.

And I understood the indirect nature of your comment at the end of your last post. That's why I found it interesting then, that you think you're allowed to throw your thoughts at other people while somehow getting on me for doing the same thing. How I worded my thoughts is getting in the way of your apprechiating the intentions behind them. You haven't accepted that, and are instead choosing to say I am doing this all out of my own doubts and fears. Why?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Thanks for telling me what my direction was with this thread. You know me better than I do apparently.

<sigh> I didn't tell you what direction the thread was going. I told you changed your mind in the middle of the whole thing to add a different meaning and context. 

Hey, do you agree that as a fan, giving up on your team is the worst thing you can do? 

No, I don't agree with that. Someone posted earlier that the worst thing you could do involved abduction and murder and a whole host of other activities. I could care less who you root for and why. Are you one of those people who think that your rooting for a team imbues some magic towards helping them play better or even win?

Believe it or not, there have been people out there who've given up on the Pats chances at a Super Bowl title this season. And you know what? Many of these dimwits will point to the second half of the Jets game and sulk.

Oh, gee, are you trying to insult me by lumping me in with this group? If so, you really can't be very bright. I haven't said any such thing about the Pats, but you are likely interpreting my comments because you cannot grasp what I actually did write.

This thread, all this is, is to enlighten people on the idea that jumping the gun after every game is silly.

Oh, my. Now you are "enlightening" people. You have gone from simply judgmental straight into godhood. Good for you. But please tell me how telling someone what they should think is enlightening?

And I understood the indirect nature of your comment at the end of your last post. That's why I found it interesting then, that you think you're allowed to throw your thoughts at other people while somehow getting on me for doing the same thing.

Apparently you didn't. I only said that the ones I think most likely to quit are the ones who were like you. It isn't a judgment. It isn't a commandment. It is an observation. You seem to not understand the difference. 

How I worded my thoughts is getting in the way of your apprechiating the intentions behind them.

Classic. I am sorry I shot you, but you should have understood I intended to miss.

This is a bulletin board. I can only read the words you write and you were telling people how to behave and judging them.  If you meant something else, then you should have written something else. And, please try and be responsible for what you actually do write. Trying to blame others for your own lack of articulation is lame.

Sections
Shortcuts