The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up.

In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up.:
    Wearing a bag over your head is never right...ever
    Posted by harleyroadking

At the risk of repeating last year's thread on booing the team while at the game, what are your thoughts on that? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe the conversation has veered off this much.

Okay, from the top.

YOU: "Believe it or not, there have been people out there who've given up on the Pats chances at a Super Bowl title this season. And you know what? Many of these dimwits will point to the second half of the Jets game and sulk.

Oh, gee, are you trying to insult me by lumping me in with this group? If so, you really can't be very bright. I haven't said any such thing about the Pats, but you are likely interpreting my comments because you cannot grasp what I actually did write."

ME: No, you are again assuming incorrectly, sir. I wasn't lumping you into any group with those comments. You're taking things personal and missing the point here. I can tell you're bright, but I can also tell that you are stubborn.

YOU: "Hey, do you agree that as a fan, giving up on your team is the worst thing you can do? 

No, I don't agree with that. Someone posted earlier that the worst thing you could do involved abduction and murder and a whole host of other activities. I could care less who you root for and why. Are you one of those people who think that your rooting for a team imbues some magic towards helping them play better or even win?"

ME: As a fan, (for what being a fan of a football team entails in todays day and age), committing federal offenses such as murder are required? I didn't think so. Following a week 2 loss to the Jets and a poor second half performance by Tom Brady, would you agree that as a fan, giving up is the ultimate show of weakness? If you want to say that I'm judging, that's where I'm judging. Reading the very excited thread titles and sifting through the responses after a terrible loss to the Jets. Hearing the voices of different sports regions talking in the media, embellishing on a week-to-week basis. Keep the context here, I know the temptation is hard to resist. Giving up on a bunch of games is pretty much the worst attitude you can set yourself up with as a fan. And I do feel that I have an impact as a fan, as small as that impact may be.

YOU: "Thanks for telling me what my direction was with this thread. You know me better than I do apparently.

<sigh> I didn't tell you what direction the thread was going. I told you changed your mind in the middle of the whole thing to add a different meaning and context."

ME: Alright, you have made these claims, all of which I can tell you are completely false:

- "you are trying to convince yourself not to lose hope by telling others what to do"

- "You are projecting your fears and insecurities onto others."

- "You are basically talking out loud to convince calm yourself down."

- "You are only trying to say that people should be more like you."

Judging by those comments, I'd say you must know me better than I do. I haven't changed the meaning of this thread; you have tried to.

I also recommend you reread the "direction" comment by me to you, "Thanks for telling me what my direction was with this thread." Swing and a miss, you've missed my intentions in more than one way already.

YOU: "This thread, all this is, is to enlighten people on the idea that jumping the gun after every game is silly.

Oh, my. Now you are "enlightening" people. You have gone from simply judgmental straight into godhood. Good for you. But please tell me how telling someone what they should think is enlightening?"

ME: Honestly, the only judgmental characters in this thread have been the detractors. Here you are going off about me using the word "enlighten" and you have either missed or chosen to ignore everything that proceeded the word "enlighten". You have consistently targeted me in this argument with finely misconstrued information. By sharing my voice, others can hear it and take from it what they wish. My words that started this thread were words of encouragement towards achieving a better, more wholesome fan experience. How? I'm suggesting that we all give each game situation a chance to play out before getting all fussed up about it all in the beginning. There has become a cycle of worrying and doubt and "settling" that I feel opposes or spoils the traditional essence of fandom. So, on a bulletin board/forum, why not tell others what I think? Others seemed to have gotten all of that. In fact, I think we can agree on a lot of things, you and I. Right now, you're more concerned with my supposed self-righteous ramblings though.

YOU: "And I understood the indirect nature of your comment at the end of your last post. That's why I found it interesting then, that you think you're allowed to throw your thoughts at other people while somehow getting on me for doing the same thing.

Apparently you didn't. I only said that the ones I think most likely to quit are the ones who were like you. It isn't a judgment. It isn't a commandment. It is an observation. You seem to not understand the difference."

ME: Judgments can easily be drawn from observations. You presented a judgement in the form of an observation and then told me as much by saying it was indirectly directed at me and those alike.

"It is the ones who keep bringing up about others but really sound like they are trying to convince themselves are the ones I think might stop.

No, this comment was indirectly pointed at you, but you didn't get it."

Few problems, 1.) I got it, that's why I made the accusation of you being a hypocrite or at least sounding hypocritical. 2.) I still get it, but the back and forth is getting old right now and will hopefully end in the next couple of posts. 3.) I agree that there are people who try to disassociate themselves as a way of coping with stress, doubt, or low self-esteem. We have all done that at one point or another, but I do not respond that way with the Patriots by any means.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : At the risk of repeating last year's thread on booing the team while at the game, what are your thoughts on that? 
    Posted by EnochRoot

Booing is acceptable behavior. It shows that you are unhappy with the teams performance is a way that accepted its not liked but accepted. Bagwearing is over the line IMO. It crosses into embarrassment an humiliation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : Booing is acceptable behavior. It shows that you are unhappy with the teams performance is a way that accepted its not liked but accepted. Bagwearing is over the line IMO. It crosses into embarrassment an humiliation.
    Posted by harleyroadking

THe KING has spoken!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : Ok you really need to make an appointment to see a shrink!   First of all nut-case, it's only a game for you to watch. If your at home praying, or crying or anything extreme along those lines, you have serious issues. Try spending some time with a girlfriend or a wife, I dont care who's but get out of the house for a while.  The only thing a fan does is give money to these clowns getting paid millions of dollars to watch you every week act like a buffoon and spend your money on into their pockets. Take 2 aspirin, go to the cemetery and wait!
    Posted by MatildaWanna

So, I guess your passion then is TROLLING.  Not a surprise to me.  AND I'm not surprised that you make silly threats to people then can't back them up.  Like you said you would fry my hard drive.  Empty head, empty threads.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : Was I really telling people how to behave? If you don't understand what I'm saying, don't reinterpret it to help yourself. " You might not like the second half put in by Tom Brady. But that doesn't mean you should curl up, afraid, and start preying that everything comes back down to earth." Is this not a fair depiction? There have been plenty of people who've overreacted. I'm not telling anyone they can't stress out; but disappointment for them doesn't mean they should go sour on the prospects of the rest of the season. That's all this is. " Hoping for better and anticipating the best yet to come is different than shutting down and not leaving an open mind to the potential that is abound." This is basically a shot at sports personalities in the media who try to forecast the future with irrational assumptions based off the last thing there was for them to look at. Sure, there are trends from previous seasons with different players on different types of teams. Those are entirely different situations that are in the past. Early in this 2010 season, plays have been lost while others have been made, and no matter the results, someone or some people are going to be held accountable. Try to understand that the past isn't necessarily indicative of the future. " You can have an opinion, and you can make guesses and claims, [can you not?] but as a fan of the team you say you root for [the New England Patriots] , doing exactly the opposite [of rooting, which would be panic and surrender] is only damaging to the cause [enjoying football and showing a progressive enthusiasm towards the Patriots success] ." Taken from Dictonary.com: root 3        [ root   or, sometimes ,  r oo t ]     Show IPA –verb   (used   without   object) 1. to   encourage   a   team   or   contestant   by   cheering   or   applauding  enthusiastically. 2. to   lend   moral   support:   The   whole   group   will   be   rooting   for him. Origin:   1885–90,   Americanism   ;    perh.   var.   of   rout " Frustration is curable, understand your role in all of this." I'm just saying what may already be known, but easily forgotten. "Honestly, I have faith in this team and I expect improvement will be made. We're only getting closer [to seeing how the 2010 Patriots really finish] ." I feel fine telling others not to be pussiez by getting all worked up when Tom Brady has a bad half throwing the football or when the Patriots lose a game to the stinkin' Jets. You've completely missed the greater point of this thread, which was to bring us all to a clearer state of mind. I'm curious, how have you [no, this isn't directed just at you EnochRoot] handled the Patriots recent loss?
    Posted by Brendon-Patrick

Don't pay attention to what Enoch says.  He likes to tell other people not to tell people how to behave, and misses that he is telling people how to behave.  It is just something he started doing.  Ignore it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : Don't pay attention to what Enoch says.  He likes to tell other people not to tell people how to behave, and misses that he is telling people how to behave.  It is just something he started doing.  Ignore it.
    Posted by Davedsone

Sorry, DS, it is quite completely different. I am sorry you still don't get it.

You are trying to control the entire board with childish rants and whining. I am telling you to grow up and cut the carp. 

That you even can begin to think they are the same, then I can only sadly shake my head.

The good news is that you might have found a new friend! Smile However, since you both seem to think that you are the only right people in the world, I don't see it lasting. Cry

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Re: The worst thing you can ever do as a fan, is give up. : So, I guess your passion then is TROLLING.  Not a surprise to me.  AND I'm not surprised that you make silly threats to people then can't back them up.  Like you said you would fry my hard drive.  Empty head, empty threads.  
    Posted by Davedsone

Trolling again, DS? Really?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Restating my points.  You use whining alot by the way.  Switch it up sometimes.   Keeps it fresh. 

Sections
Shortcuts