The writing is on the wall, bringing early 2000s O back.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

Re: The writing is on the wall, bringing early 2000s O back.

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thank god. Rein Brady in once and for all.  It has got to stop. We wasted years and years of him trying to seek the ultimate glories of throwing for SB rings.

No more.

No more.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Brady needs to be stopped from changing the plays.  Brady needs to be stopped from throwing the ball when the coach sends in a pass play.  This is ridiculous!  Kraft needs to replace GM/Coach Brady with someone who can come up with a better game plan.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoSoxpdx. Show BoSoxpdx's posts

In response to DoNotSleepOnThePats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

One of the smarter conversations started in here.  Glad to not see another "BB sucks at drafting" thread.

[/QUOTE]

Concur.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Perhaps we're a little closer.  Defensively, the Patriots need an above average SS that can put some fear into opponents.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Great point, GRONK would never get hurt from just Blocking :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great point, GRONK would never get hurt from just Blocking :)

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I don't know about ever but by moving to that type of O you get miss match when he does go out and Ds don't have 6 or 7 DBs because of 0 respect for the run.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hear you guys but even though there are no trophies to show for it, the high flying 2007-2013 Patriots were highly successful and extremely fun to watch.

2000-2006  75-37 12-2 playoffs 3-0 SB
    2007-2013  88-24  6-6 playoffs 0-2 SB

12-2 in the playoffs is astonishing, 6-6 is very good only bested by the Ravens and Giants. The bottom line results haven't been there lately but I argue that's only because of execution not philosophy.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I hear you Digger but is execution not a derivative of preparation, planning and skill( talent)? I loved watching our high flying pass heavy offense's every year we've had them since 2007, but after a while I realized that 1 dimensional offense would only score 15 points per game on the biggest stage because they always did the same thing.

How can we execute for 16 weeks scoring 35 points per game only to suddenly stop executing with the same talent but same game plan to score 15.5 ppg in 6 straight playoff losses? 

Anyway some think the GM can't build a winning team anymore even though we just went to 3 straight afc championship games and were decimated with injuries. Some feel it is just bad luck(which has some truth to it)

I feel that the loss of almost every coach and personnel man BB has employed from the dynasty era has had a negative impact on "execution" at the biggest stage. Coaching is getting the same guys who scored you 35 ppg in the regular season to do it for all the marbles, and we haven't been able to do that for a long time.

And there is no denying that our offense has been predictable for the last 6 straight post season exits and has severely underperformed. 15.5 ppg scored at 285 pass attempts to 113 rushes, 67 power runs, 46 scat back runs(draws etc). Not hard to defend. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The best projected lineup for me if things go well and everyone stays healthy is Kline at center, Mankins, Halapio at guard with Vollmer and Solder at tackle.  Cannon and Wendell providing depth.  I may be wrong but Connolly will be cut for $ reasons, otherwise I'd like to keep him for depth if he'll take a pay cut?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

will agree to disagree on Kline, don't need another undersized OC that can't holdup against those DTs.  I do agree Connolly probably gets cut to save the 3 mil off the cap.  I don't see him taking a pay cut unless he just doesn't want to play for anyone else.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Pats7393's comment:
    [QUOTE]

will agree to disagree on Kline, don't need another undersized OC that can't holdup against those DTs.  I do agree Connolly probably gets cut to save the 3 mil off the cap.  I don't see him taking a pay cut unless he just doesn't want to play for anyone else.  

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not sure I agree. Unless someone blows BB away Connolly makes the team. You need as much starting talent as possible and putting your eggs into a basket of a couple players with less snaps in their career than Vereen averages a year is a big chance. That $3mil won't really help this year so might as well keep him and let the younger players take the snaps over from him over the course of the year instead of tossing them into the fire 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Based on what we've seen this far in offseason including the draft all roads point to going back to what got them 3 SBs.

So an OL with Solder, Mankins, Stork, Halapio, Voll with either Gronk or a decent blocker in Hoo it turns into a hole opening RB dream type game.  So the evolution of Pats O continues IMO, except; we've seen it before.  

I'm pretty sure the team didn't have a soon to be 37 year old QB in those years. Moreover, how did the Pats rushing attack get better this year? BTW, "Hoo" isn't good. He's the result of a horrible sequence of events at TE.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not sure I agree. Unless someone blows BB away Connolly makes the team. You need as much starting talent as possible and putting your eggs into a basket of a couple players with less snaps in their career than Vereen averages a year is a big chance. That $3mil won't really help this year so might as well keep him and let the younger players take the snaps over from him over the course of the year instead of tossing them into the fire 

[/QUOTE]

Connolly has been the weak link on the O-line in recent seasons. He's overpaid and can easily be replaced. The team can save $3mil cutting him. It's a no-brainer at this point. The Pats have been inept at running to their right and he's the big reason why. Wendell was awful in 2013. Stork should step right in at C. Ditto for Flemming at RG.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The best projected lineup for me if things go well and everyone stays healthy is Kline at center, Mankins, Halapio at guard with Vollmer and Solder at tackle.  Cannon and Wendell providing depth.  I may be wrong but Connolly will be cut for $ reasons, otherwise I'd like to keep him for depth if he'll take a pay cut?

[/QUOTE]

Woz, Pats have to make or break after this year with Cannon. Pats must give him every chance to get the majority of snaps at G this year and find out if he is an every down player and should they pay him. I would hope he can be that G, and sign him for the next 5 years as Mankins winds down his career.

I could be happy with Vollmer, Cannon, Kline, Mankins, Solder getting most of the snaps, and assume Stork, is also on the 53 man roster. We have to assume Halapio wont make it to the PS with out getting plucked, so it will come down to Halapio, Connolly or Wendell, with 2 of the 3 sticking.

I have to assume Cave, Fleming, Mattes are PS bound unless injury 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

While it was a safe and sound offense, it could afford to be because we had a monster defense.  Recall the Superbowl vs the Rams.  20-17.  We held the "Greatest Show on Turf", a team that had been averaging over 40pts a game, to 17pts.  How?  Swarming, physical ball by some of the best in the business.  We pounded the snot out of teams, and grounded them down over the course of 4 quarters.  While the defense was imposing their will, the offense was playing safe ball, eating up the clock, short runs, quick outs, screens, and an A+ kicking game adding instant 3's when our offense sputtered in the red zone (and even when it couldn't get in the red zone).

So taking our O back down to those levels is all well and good, as long as our D can come up to those same levels. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While it was a safe and sound offense, it could afford to be because we had a monster defense.  Recall the Superbowl vs the Rams.  20-17.  We held the "Greatest Show on Turf", a team that had been averaging over 40pts a game, to 17pts.  How?  Swarming, physical ball by some of the best in the business.  We pounded the snot out of teams, and grounded them down over the course of 4 quarters.  While the defense was imposing their will, the offense was playing safe ball, eating up the clock, short runs, quick outs, screens, and an A+ kicking game adding instant 3's when our offense sputtered in the red zone (and even when it couldn't get in the red zone).

So taking our O back down to those levels is all well and good, as long as our D can come up to those same levels. 

[/QUOTE]

^ Exactly!  Good Post

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Agree why I said on paper the D is the best one ive seen in years but lots of questions but if they get evrything together wow will be nice to watch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

Thank god. Rein Brady in once and for all.  It has got to stop. We wasted years and years of him trying to seek the ultimate glories of throwing for SB rings.

No more.

No more.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Are you REALLY this f'n stupid?

Are you REALLY so F'n obsessed and sick that you can't get through one thread without inflicting us with your disease?

Realize this, you rusty trombone player, if TB is that bad then BB is worse.

If he is sticking with and extending a crappy QB year after year then he has to be the most negligent, stupid coach alive or dead.

That's how logical, normal people think.

Even Fat Rex was smart enough to get rid of Sanchez. 

You are saying BB is more stupid than REX.  You are just too ignorant to realize it, despite being told, over and over.

Luckily, you are the stupid and negligent one.

Now go practice your trombone.  Your bb blowup is waiting for you to play.

[/QUOTE]
    Iam starting to think he needs a white paded room.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Over the last few years every time the team has one good running game, all the same people start touting smash mouth run first football, then the are amazed when the rest of the season goes through Brady.  BB does not care about smash mouth or 50/50 ratios. They had a weakness on the O-Line protecting Brady and he is trying to make it better.

The only this BB will do over and over again is to try to exploit a perceived weakness in the other team all else be damned.  I see this as nothing different than status quo, if BB wanted a run first team it would not have taken 7 years to get here... 

As the saying goes Offense scores point defense wins championship.  There seems to be more truth there than any bs that this teams is going back to the 2000's offense or Bb is finally smacking down his HOF QB. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't think BB has any plan to "bring back" the early-2000 offense.  He's just constantly refining his schemes and his talent to ensure (1) they best complement each other and (2) they are competitive against the league's defences. There is constant evolution, constant morphing into something new, but no desire to go backwards, as if recent years were some kind of mistake and the past was the "right way" to play football. 

A lot of fans have been criticizing the offense since the 2007 Super Bowl, as if high-scoring, passing offences were somehow bad.  That's--to be blunt about it--idiotic.  There's nothing wrong with a high-scoring, pass-dominant offense.  The real problems the team has had in the playoffs have been talent issues (some due to team make-up and some due to injury) and the execution issues that tend to flow from talent issues.  Overall offensive or defensive philosophy, game planning, and play-calling simply aren't problems for this team.  Bill Belichick is the best today and maybe ever at the strategic and tactical elements of football.  The playoff losses have been more about mismatches in the trenches, a poor secondary, and lack of diversity and/or quality in talent in the receiving and running corps.  The Pats have been disadvantaged by perennial low draft position.  Belichick has done a pretty good job overcoming those disadvantages by trying to get more value out of his picks than what his draft position gives him.  But he hasn't been able to completely overcome a system designed to hurt teams like the Pats and bring them back down to the middle of the pack.  If there's a reason we haven't won championships, it's the draft system . . . which Belichick valiantly battles every year, but which still has the upper hand in trying to force parity down every team's throat. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Over the last few years every time the team has one good running game, all the same people start touting smash mouth run first football, then the are amazed when the rest of the season goes through Brady.  BB does not care about smash mouth or 50/50 ratios. They had a weakness on the O-Line protecting Brady and he is trying to make it better.

The only this BB will do over and over again is to try to exploit a perceived weakness in the other team all else be damned.  I see this as nothing different than status quo, if BB wanted a run first team it would not have taken 7 years to get here... 

As the saying goes Offense scores point defense wins championship.  There seems to be more truth there than any bs that this teams is going back to the 2000's offense or Bb is finally smacking down his HOF QB. 

[/QUOTE]

I've always heard the 2nd part thrown down, but placed together the saying seems strange.  Lol, I wish I was in that class the 1st time some football guru said it, so I could've said, "And The Sun emits light."  Or maybe..."And it helps the victory parade when your final offensive point tally, is > 0 ." 

...Tough statement, because 19 games to the podium usually aren't ALL finaled as 49-0 Wins by your squad.  I'm not sure ANY phrase other than complimentary football wins championships.  Problem with the above is obvious (sic).  I even take issue with: "Offense gets you there, but Defense wins Championships."  THAT isn't the betterment of Complimentary Football... Unless you cede to the fact that The O can get'cha to the playoffs based on posting huge point tally's and besting lesser O's (your D just holding up)...but when that O goes against a true Top 3 playoff caliber, balanced, highly skilled & aggressive D...they get manhandled, your  D coming up short because your-highflying O is still of the field in under 2-3 minutes, problem is & unlike anytime else in the season-they haven't scored. 

...Uggh, And I hated to watch the high-powered Offense during that span...After 2007, I knew eventually ^ would & HAD TO inevitably occur...sooner or later in the postseason.  They may have been fun to watch for some...until they eventually squared off against actual tough-#ssed "football players" on Defense.  ...Then they looked like p#nsies.  =Not fun to watch.  Unlike '06-'07 and some years afterwards (until '10-'11 up to now) BB has spent time, draft picks and money, not just on The O's side...but on the D now.  The only issue that remains, is a gameplan and coaching that doesn't fall prey to banking everything in a game (to the expense of exceptionally obvious under-balance) upon Brady's arm and Brady's arm alone.  ...And he's got a GREAT arm...but'cha do that for 4 quarters against a good playoff caliber Defense?  =And you usually lose...because your play-call & play-direction & play favoring, Starts to become a tad bit predictable to the opposing side...  I mean, it probably could work.  ALL you'd need is:  5 pro-bowl O-Lineman.  Adrian Peterson...even if ya only used 'em 10X, b/c all ya did was pass...And ALL NE might have to do is trade for the WRs of:  Calvin Johnson, Demarius Thomas, Aj Green or Larry Fitz and Jimmy Graham & Gronk @ TE. 

Say IF in 2007, NE had 2-3 more pro-bowl O-Linemen + Peterson + Graham/Gronk + either of Fitz/Green/Johnson + then Moss and Welker...NE's high-powered O would've won.

^  See the point?  =Never happens save for on a Fantasy Team.  Balance & the least number of exploitable "weak points" positionally & complimentary football wins it.  ...And it usually keeps doing so, time and time again now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think BB has any plan to "bring back" the early-2000 offense.  He's just constantly refining his schemes and his talent to ensure (1) they best complement each other and (2) they are competitive against the league's defences. There is constant evolution, constant morphing into something new, but no desire to go backwards, as if recent years were some kind of mistake and the past was the "right way" to play football. 

A lot of fans have been criticizing the offense since the 2007 Super Bowl, as if high-scoring, passing offences were somehow bad.  That's--to be blunt about it--idiotic.  There's nothing wrong with a high-scoring, pass-dominant offense.  The real problems the team has had in the playoffs have been talent issues (some due to team make-up and some due to injury) and the execution issues that tend to flow from talent issues.  Overall offensive or defensive philosophy, game planning, and play-calling simply aren't problems for this team.  Bill Belichick is the best today and maybe ever at the strategic and tactical elements of football.  The playoff losses have been more about mismatches in the trenches, a poor secondary, and lack of diversity and/or quality in talent in the receiving and running corps.  The Pats have been disadvantaged by perennial low draft position.  Belichick has done a pretty good job overcoming those disadvantages by trying to get more value out of his picks than what his draft position gives him.  But he hasn't been able to completely overcome a system designed to hurt teams like the Pats and bring them back down to the middle of the pack.  If there's a reason we haven't won championships, it's the draft system . . . which Belichick valiantly battles every year, but which still has the upper hand in trying to force parity down every team's throat. 

[/QUOTE]

What high flying offense won a SB in the cap era?  The Rams barely won for crying out loud for Ten.  Thank god for Rams fans Mike Jones was a sure tackler, huh?

It's "idiotic", yet the Bills lost 4 straight SBs, the Chargers never even got to one with Fouts, Marino never got one and only made ONE SB in his entire HOF career.

Shall I continue?

Good thing Gomie faced REx Grossman's Bears huh?  Idiotic?  The only idiots here are those that think football is a MAdden video game.

What's that saying?  The definition of insanity is making the same mistakes and continuing to do so.

To me it's funny that a season ticket holder like you can only be entertained by offense and an aerial attack. You appear bored by every other aspect of the game, Prolate.

I bet you like AL baseball over NL baseball, too, simply because of the DH. lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hey Rusty.  I actually watch the games.  I don't know what you do during the games, but watching and understanding what actually happens on the field is clearly not part of the equation . . .

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I hear you Digger but is execution not a derivative of preparation, planning and skill( talent)? I loved watching our high flying pass heavy offense's every year we've had them since 2007, but after a while I realized that 1 dimensional offense would only score 15 points per game on the biggest stage because they always did the same thing.

How can we execute for 16 weeks scoring 35 points per game only to suddenly stop executing with the same talent but same game plan to score 15.5 ppg in 6 straight playoff losses? 

Anyway some think the GM can't build a winning team anymore even though we just went to 3 straight afc championship games and were decimated with injuries. Some feel it is just bad luck(which has some truth to it)

I feel that the loss of almost every coach and personnel man BB has employed from the dynasty era has had a negative impact on "execution" at the biggest stage. Coaching is getting the same guys who scored you 35 ppg in the regular season to do it for all the marbles, and we haven't been able to do that for a long time.

And there is no denying that our offense has been predictable for the last 6 straight post season exits and has severely underperformed. 15.5 ppg scored at 285 pass attempts to 113 rushes, 67 power runs, 46 scat back runs(draws etc). Not hard to defend.

To be honest I prefer the smashmouth style of the dynasty years but they have done pretty well riding Brady's arm since 2007 too.

As for this upcoming season, the writing is on the wall.  :o)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey Rusty.  I actually watch the games.  I don't know what you do during the games, but watching and understanding what actually happens on the field is clearly not part of the equation . . .

[/QUOTE]

I think you decide which pink hat looks better than the other.  Sorry, but your comments through the years have reeked of someone who is new to the fanbase and really was never rooted in Boston or New England.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

BB would still be running 2 TE offenses if he had the horses for it.  No one really stopped the pats O when both Gronk and Hern were healthy after their rookie years. 

I recall a Bill Simmons podcast a while back were Lombardi stated the BB was talking about TEs since he first met him in CLE. 

Pats have drafted 3 pretty highly since BB has been here. 

"I swear it upon Zues the most exceptional runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler"  Socrates

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've always heard the 2nd part thrown down, but placed together the saying seems strange.  Lol, I wish I was in that class the 1st time some football guru said it, so I could've said, "And The Sun emits light."  Or maybe..."And it helps the victory parade when your final offensive point tally, is > 0 ." 

...Tough statement, because 19 games to the podium usually aren't ALL finaled as 49-0 Wins by your squad.  I'm not sure ANY phrase other than complimentary football wins championships.  Problem with the above is obvious (sic).  I even take issue with: "Offense gets you there, but Defense wins Championships."  THAT isn't the betterment of Complimentary Football... Unless you cede to the fact that The O can get'cha to the playoffs based on posting huge point tally's and besting lesser O's (your D just holding up)...but when that O goes against a true Top 3 playoff caliber, balanced, highly skilled & aggressive D...they get manhandled, your  D coming up short because your-highflying O is still of the field in under 2-3 minutes, problem is & unlike anytime else in the season-they haven't scored. 

...Uggh, And I hated to watch the high-powered Offense during that span...After 2007, I knew eventually ^ would & HAD TO inevitably occur...sooner or later in the postseason.  They may have been fun to watch for some...until they eventually squared off against actual tough-#ssed "football players" on Defense.  ...Then they looked like p#nsies.  =Not fun to watch.  Unlike '06-'07 and some years afterwards (until '10-'11 up to now) BB has spent time, draft picks and money, not just on The O's side...but on the D now.  The only issue that remains, is a gameplan and coaching that doesn't fall prey to banking everything in a game (to the expense of exceptionally obvious under-balance) upon Brady's arm and Brady's arm alone.  ...And he's got a GREAT arm...but'cha do that for 4 quarters against a good playoff caliber Defense?  =And you usually lose...because your play-call & play-direction & play favoring, Starts to become a tad bit predictable to the opposing side...  I mean, it probably could work.  ALL you'd need is:  5 pro-bowl O-Lineman.  Adrian Peterson...even if ya only used 'em 10X, b/c all ya did was pass...And ALL NE might have to do is trade for the WRs of:  Calvin Johnson, Demarius Thomas, Aj Green or Larry Fitz and Jimmy Graham & Gronk @ TE. 

Say IF in 2007, NE had 2-3 more pro-bowl O-Linemen + Peterson + Graham/Gronk + either of Fitz/Green/Johnson + then Moss and Welker...NE's high-powered O would've won.

^  See the point?  =Never happens save for on a Fantasy Team.  Balance & the least number of exploitable "weak points" positionally & complimentary football wins it.  ...And it usually keeps doing so, time and time again now.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

One helluva post!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the biggest problem is that we have had one of the WORST defenses in football over the last 6 years. That's the problem. Meanwhile our offense has ranked in the top three consistently during that time. If we improve the defense, the offense will change...we won't have to wiz the ball over the field for 4 quarters because every time the offense gets a touchdown the defense allows another.

As far as this offense goes, I can't picture a 4th round pick center and a 5th round pick guard changing our offense. And the center Stork doesn't remind me of a road grader - he looks a little small for that - he looks like a guy who might develop into a good overall center, but I can't see him coming in and changing anything. The guard from Florida might not even make the team and the right tackle from Stanford looks like he'll be a nice backup. Now all these guys may surprise and be great players, but that is years from now most likely.

The key will be how much the receivers improve from the year before...will Dobson's foot be healed? And if so will Dobson improve? That's a huge deal right there. What will Boyce do? He has a ton of talent, but showed next to nothing last year. Will Lafell help? He most likely will have to. Will Amendola stay healthy and get open? Because he didn't last year, I watched him when he was healthy in training camp last year and he didn't get much separation then either. Can Edelman stay healthy again? Because up until last year he had never done that.

And the rookie White will have to turn into something because Ridley can't be your lead guy, we know that now...his fumbling is not just bad luck or an accident...it's what he is.

Sections
Shortcuts