they should have given thompkins that TD catch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

they should have given thompkins that TD catch

He caught it in the air and maintained possession even though ball touched the ground.  That is the rule.  The ref said...  " ball hit the ground..   " . So what?  He caught it first and held onto it while it was touching the ground.

TOUCHDOWN.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: they should have given thompkins that TD catch

The ground cannot assist in the catch. You need to maintain control and possession throughout the catch. That's the rule and the ball rolled as it hit the ground. Thompkins used the ground to assist in making the catch. That's why it wasn't a catch. It was a good call

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I appreciate your perspective but I'm afraid I have to disagree.  When the ball touched the ground it slipped in KT's hands.  This constitutes lack of control throughout and, therefore, no TD.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

If he had one hand under it they would have given it to him.  Strange how they said his hands slid rather than the ball moved.  A different official or a different receiver and maybe that's a catch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

If he had one hand under it they would have given it to him.  Strange how they said his hands slid rather than the ball moved.  A different official or a different receiver and maybe that's a catch.

If he had his hand underneath you are right it would have been a TD because the ball wouldn't have hit the ground at that point. That's the point that made it an incomplete was the ball hit the ground and it moved. The offical explained it poorly but any offical in the NFL would have ruled that an incomplete. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

And we had the call hta went our way in teh end zone

for alot of the same reasons

I had to agree with both calls

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

He caught it in the air and maintained possession even though ball touched the ground.  That is the rule.  The ref said...  " ball hit the ground..   " . So what?  He caught it first and held onto it while it was touching the ground.

TOUCHDOWN.

I agree, the ball touched the ground but he never bobbled it at all, he couldn't have possibly done anything different since he was completely outstretched and caught it with his fingertips.  There wasn't enough evidence to overturn it if the initial call was a TD and that's not just me being a homer, the refs got it wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

[QUOTE]

If he had his hand underneath you are right it would have been a TD because the ball wouldn't have hit the ground at that point. That's the point that made it an incomplete was the ball hit the ground and it moved. The offical explained it poorly but any offical in the NFL would have ruled that an incomplete. 

[/QUOTE]

Damn engineers

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

The ground cannot assist in the catch. You need to maintain control and possession throughout the catch. That's the rule and the ball rolled as it hit the ground. Thompkins used the ground to assist in making the catch. That's why it wasn't a catch. It was a good call

The ground did not assist in the catch at all , KT was clutching it throughout.  The ground is incidental.  The point is he caught it first, and has clear possession first and foremost.  The contact with the ground does not on its own negate the catch by rule that was clarified a couple years ago.

The judgment of maintaining possession throughout is the call, and he clearly had his hands clutching it.

Touchdown. . Plus it was a great catch. Give it to him.  Could have been the situation where jets had lost a challenge already, Rex is a big whiner, and ref didn't have the stones to rule it correctly  for Thompkins.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeh. It didn't really roll so much as it slid upward in his hands, which caused the ref to question possession. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

If the hands were underneath the ball at all times, I'd agree.  Ball clearly hit the ground and moved up through his hands to the chest.  Granted, he may have maintained "control", but, for all intents and purposes it is like a trap play in baseball.  The ball shouldn't touch the ground at all until the catch is completed.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

If you watch the replay, KT's elbow touches the ground before the ball hits the ground. Should've been a TD, it was definitely not enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

That was a tough call all the way around. I think an argument could've been made for that being a catch, but to say it was incomplete isn't entirely ridiculous either. That's a judgment call and one can't complain too much either way. 

Let's go Pats!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

He momentarily lost control when the ball hit the ground.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Angel-of-Light's comment:

If you watch the replay, KT's elbow touches the ground before the ball hits the ground. Should've been a TD, it was definitely not enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Isn't the rule for RBs different from catch situations. I believe he still needs to keep control throughout when catching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

you have to maintain control and possession throughout the impact with the ground. Just the elbow doesn't count. He clearly didn't have control as the ball moved as it was braced between his chest and the ground not secured by his hands

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

TOUCHDOWN.

Respectfully disagree. But, I think it was a very good display of athleticism! I think when this kid really knows the system and doesn't have to think, he's going to be very good. I felt bad for him because I thought the effort was exceptional.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

I agree with the call of no catch.  The league has talked about the rule as written and the interpretation of the rule with regards to how the refs are instructed to enforce it.  There was clarification after the Bert Emmanual catch against the Rams.

Hand under the ball would have done it even if the ball touches the ground.  The ball moved relative to his hands and he didn't have a hand underneath.  No catch.

Would it have been called a catch by somebody else?   No!  The NFL has never made the wrong call.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Not even close....the correct call was made....Got should have made the kick....

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to Bustchise's comment:

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Isn't the rule for RBs different from catch situations. I believe he still needs to keep control throughout when catching.

[/QUOTE]

He did and the ball can contact the ground, but the hands need to be under it with no ball movement.

[/QUOTE]

Queenie, forgive me for trying to understand one of your idiot posts, but how can the ball hit the ground if the hand is under it?  Just so we're clear, this is far from your stupidest post, but it is stupid.

[/QUOTE]

Rarely agree with this guy and don't think I'd like him in real time. (Internet muscles...) but you are the idiot on this one. Did he bang your girlfriend? Cause you seem to stalk a bit. Picture DeNiro in Goodfellas saying "Now just a little Bit"....

Sections
Shortcuts