they should have given thompkins that TD catch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: they should have given thompkins that TD catch

Not a TD, imo.  Ground assisted in the completion.

Wouldn't really have had to worry about it if Dobson could've made that catch earlier...that was going to be a TD with no review.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Could have gone either way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I think it was one of those situations where whatever the call on the field was it should have stood. If it was ruled incomplete it should have stayed incomplete, but since it was ruled a td initially, should have stayed.

It is ok if the ball hits the ground as long as control was maintained thru out. Which it was. TD. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

If the hands were underneath the ball at all times, I'd agree.  Ball clearly hit the ground and moved up through his hands to the chest.  Granted, he may have maintained "control", but, for all intents and purposes it is like a trap play in baseball.  The ball shouldn't touch the ground at all until the catch is completed.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

The league clarified it a couple of years ago, the ball can touch the ground and it can still be a catch. The problem with the Thompkins catch is when his chest hit the ball, it rotated in his hands, the point of the ball probably caught the opening in his pads and caused the rotation. At least that is what it looked like from my vantage point. That call could have gone either way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to Angel-of-Light's comment:

If you watch the replay, KT's elbow touches the ground before the ball hits the ground. Should've been a TD, it was definitely not enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Even on touchdowns the receiver has to complete the play so it isn't like a running play which is a touchdown as soon as the ball crosses/touches the goal line.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to NedNiederlander's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

In response to Angel-of-Light's comment:

If you watch the replay, KT's elbow touches the ground before the ball hits the ground. Should've been a TD, it was definitely not enough evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Isn't the rule for RBs different from catch situations. I believe he still needs to keep control throughout when catching.

He did and the ball can contact the ground, but the hands need to be under it with no ball movement.

Hands DON'T need to be under it. That was the old interpretation of the rule that the league changed a couple of years ago. If Thompkins had just kept his hands out in front of him and not tried to bring it into his chest, there was no way it could have been overturned.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I thought the refs called it right. ball was "pushed" into chest - where it was secured after the ball struck the ground and moved

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm not even sure how it can be debated; it clearly wasn't a catch based on the rule (which many have already referenced) and watching the replay(s).   Great effort, but not a catch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

If Tom Brady had thrown an NFL caliber pass, this thread wouldn't even exist.

I can't beleive all the screaming and pouting from this guy considering some of the garbage that has routinely come off his arm in the last few years.

None the young wide receivers are ever on the same page with Brady. There's only one common denominator in all these situations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

ESPN IMG      Kenbrell Thompkins couldn't hold on to a pass in the end zone just before halftime. 
        Looks like a catch to me...

Tags: New England Patriots Tom Brady Tedy Bruschi Bill Belichick Deion Branch Brandon Lloyd Danny Amendola Donte Stallworth Aaron Dobson Kenbrell