Things I Like/Hate from Yesterday's Cut

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FcukUPayMe. Show FcukUPayMe's posts

Things I Like/Hate from Yesterday's Cut

Like:

Keeping 7 LB's: Tarpinian and White were up in the air but overall its good that they kept depth at a position they've been thin at for a few years.

Letting Morris Go / IRing Faulk: It was time to move on and let the young runners take over. It would have been a waste of a spot to keep Morris/Faulk on the roster.

Having 10 D-Line Men: The way this defense is structed you can never have too many D-line men. Though things could easily change and Anderson or Warren could still get cut.

Hate:

Having 6 CBs: They should have either kept Butler and cut Modlen or cut Butler and kept Molden but not both.

Leave Us Weak at Safety: I know Merriwather wasn't the best but still, they don't seem to have a solid plan on how to replace him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Things I Like/Hate from Yesterday's Cut

I really disliked the Meriweather move unless they bring in someone else Safety will be a concern this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm wondering if BB is going to be playing three corners and one safety? Why not given all the three and four receiver sets in the league?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Things I Like/Hate from Yesterday's Cut:
    [QUOTE]I really disliked the Meriweather move unless they bring in someone else Safety will be a concern this year.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5[/QUOTE]

I think a lot is riding on Barrett, but maybe as a big athletic guy he's this year's Jarrad Page

As long as he doesn't stand out for BAD reasons, I'm okay with him, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least concerned.  This is something you can game plan to try to expose.  I bet the Dolphins will test Barrett early and often with looks with Brandon Marshall and Anthony Fasano both coming at him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Fully satisfied what the head coach decided was best.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Unsatisfied with letting Meriweather go without compensation. Maybe a full offseason would have facilitated a trade more easily.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aytee. Show aytee's posts

[QUOTE]I'm wondering if BB is going to be playing three corners and one safety? Why not given all the three and four receiver sets in the league?
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Interesting idea, curious to see whether that would work

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

[QUOTE]I'm wondering if BB is going to be playing three corners and one safety? Why not given all the three and four receiver sets in the league?

that is interesting...but I think only one DB is big enough to play on a TE unless BB uses one CB as "safety" over the top in coverage situations.  All the DBs on the defense are fairly good tacklers and like to hit. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I agree with the dislikes....I thought this year they would only carry 4 cb's...maybe 5, but Butler IMO, should have been cut....He brings nothing to the table and is a completion every time for qb's. 

I also didnt like the fact they cut Meri straight up, but when you look at his reasonable salary and the fact we are thin there, I think Billicheck really felt that Meri was a bad influence, or else why not keep him as a reserve if anything.  I think once they tried to trade them, they had to cut him or it would have been akward as well as a distraction from a bad soldier....

All in All, Im not so worried about safety as I liked what I saw from Barret and looking at what E.Wilson did in 03 as a rookie, I believe the spot can be filled, maybe Ras I, but Chung will have to step up his leadership real quick and I believe Chung is the anti-meriweather when it comes to discipline, tackling and dedication so we'll see,

Lastly, I thought E.Moore showed much more than Anderson and dont understand that one,....but maybe they want to see more of Anderson in reg. season and think he will be better down the line....Either Way...Carter and Ellis are the starters at DE anyway in the 4 man front

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

dowling and bodden R big enough...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Meri was not great, but I was surprised they saw 4 guys better than him. 

My only worry when you cut guys for veterans is long term, where your developmental guys go.  It looks to me like the biggest lost on the DL was Moore.  I thought he showed promise.  The were able to hold on to Deaderick, Brace, Ohrnberger, and Cannon through PUP of IR and kept Pryor and Love.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]dowling and bodden R big enough...
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

Arrington is a good tackler too, and can be a big hitter as we saw when he played mostly special teams. There's no hard and fast division between safety and corner.  We just need good four-, five-, and six-DB combinations that include personnel with a good mixture of coverage skills and tackling ability. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Idon't think it's even that.  I think they will play combinations dictated by the situation.  Nickels, dimes, etc. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I really think the team did a good job keeping as many talented guys on the roster as possible. Moore has done nothing in his nfl career (besides look good for 4 games for us before getting nicked up), at least Anderson did have a 12 sack season. Cutting Meriweather was no big loss. Was I surprised at the lack of experience/depth at safety? Not really, Bill has gone thin at positions if he thinks the talent isn't there...he won't keep guys around just for numbers. Cutting Tate was a no brainer, he didn't look good at receiver and really leveled off as a returner.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I have a funny feeling Bill knows what he is doing. I thought it was pretty creative that he was able to keep as many good players as he did... But is anyone else worried about the report that many teams were not aware that Merriweather was available? He got about 3 mil with the Bears, seems like someone would have traded for him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I agree with your thoughts. 

I do think you need to have 6 corners on the roster these days though. 

Losing both TEs was a little frustrating as Yeatman was looking very good, and Smith was a wasted pick as a result. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Polonium. Show Polonium's posts

I thought BB adapted rather well. I like having more linemen on D. You can only outgun an opponent is so many places with 53 players. If the O line stays healthy...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

[QUOTE]Meri was not great, but I was surprised they saw 4 guys better than him.  My only worry when you cut guys for veterans is long term, where your developmental guys go.  It looks to me like the biggest lost on the DL was Moore.  I thought he showed promise.  The were able to hold on to Deaderick, Brace, Ohrnberger, and Cannon through PUP of IR and kept Pryor and Love.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

That's true, hiring veterans can take up space on the roster in lieu of younger players. I guess one has to weigh how badly one wants to win in the short run vs. preparing for the future.   Apart from the secondary, BB may think he's got most of the core players he wants - and just wants to push the envelope a  little to win this year (even though obviously he wants to win the sb every year).  The clock is ticking?  Brady can only play for so long  - and can be gone in one hit (just like any other player).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I have a funny feeling Bill knows what he is doing. I thought it was pretty creative that he was able to keep as many good players as he did... But is anyone else worried about the report that many teams were not aware that Merriweather was available? He got about 3 mil with the Bears, seems like someone would have traded for him.
    Posted by maxnsl[/QUOTE]

dont know if worried is the word. disconcerting. i dont know what advantage bill found in releasing him instead of getting something for him

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

BB has always mixed the young and old well on his teams.  I think the last couple of years the team was too young and it hurt in the playoffs.  He has always brought in veterans to help.  Roman Phifer was one.  Harrison another.  I am a bit concerned at the Tight end position but Alge is only a phone call away.  I think the shortened preseason hurt the later round picks.  Smith and Yeatman did not have time to develop.  I think that BB was hoping one of them would make it to the practice squad.  BB was only going to keep 4 safeties so had to cut one.  Merriweather was not working out.  He has not worked out for 3 years.  If it did not click by now it was not going to.  I like the cuts overall.  They kept some good young talent and still have a team able to win.  Vollemer, Cannon, Soldier, Gronk, Hernandez, Mayo, Chung, etc.  are all young and good.  Anyone could be an all pro. 

Sections
Shortcuts