Think we have problems? Revis and Jets far off...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

Think we have problems? Revis and Jets far off...

Jets offer $0 guaranteed to Revis; Revis promptly sits down

Stud New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis(notes) did show up for practice Tuesday, which is good. While at practice, though, Revis decided he'd rather not participate in certain plays, and he took a seat and watched other people sweat.

What prompted this poor behavior from Revis? A poor contract offer from the Jets. Revis said the Jets' latest contract offer to him is an "insult" because it included absolutely no guaranteed money, and if true, yeah, that's a good reason to plop yourself down on a bench in the middle of practice. No guaranteed money? For the top cornerback, probably the top defensive player, and maybe the best player, period, in the NFL? That's crazier than JaMarcus Russell(notes) making the Hall of Fame.

Said Revis, according to the Associated Press:

"It was something just to let them know I can play, and I cannot play. That's what it is."

More power to you, sir.

Honestly, I just don't know what the Jets are trying to do here. Sure, you start every contract negotiation with a lowball offer, the player starts with a big number, and ideally, you can meet somewhere in the middle. He is due to make $1 million in the fourth season of his six-year rookie deal, and wants to be the league’s highest-paid cornerback.

But zero dollars guaranteed? Why? The Jets, a lot of people feel, are poised for a run at the Super Bowl. Revis is a key part of that. You're going to alienate him, for what reason exactly?

It's like going into a pawn shop, seeing a $5,000 watch you want, and saying, "Rick, I'd like that watch, but instead of giving you $5,000 for it, how about I just poke the Old Man in the eye, you give me $20, and then I take the watch?" It's just not a sound negotiating tactic.

Hopefully, this all gets sorted out before it becomes a real problem for the Jets. Zero in guarantees for Darrelle Revis? Come on now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: Think we have problems? Revis and Jets far off...

I don't think it can get sorted out because both sides are completely off with negotiations. Revis wants Asomugha money and the Jets aren't willing to offer anything close to that. I don't even think they can afford that with their cap situation, can they? I'd love to hear from someone who actually knows the cap numbers.

The other thing here is that Mangold is up for a new contract while Revis is still under contract for three years. If he is forced to play that out, which he may have to considering he could end up sitting for at least two years, then what's to say this guy won't take plays off or bench himself when he feels like it?

Anyone also think this could have something to do with Hard Knocks?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I agree. Mankins is nothing compared to the contract problems the Jets have. Our offensive line wasn't too hot last year anyway. It's not going to get much worse without Mankins. Although I do like an O-Lineman that isn't afraid to punch another guy in the nuts. It's a good secret weapon to have.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1023us. Show m1023us's posts

In Response to Re: Think we have problems? Revis and Jets far off...:
    I agree. Mankins is nothing compared to the contract problems the Jets have. Our offensive line wasn't too hot last year anyway. It's not going to get much worse without Mankins. Although I do like an O-Lineman that isn't afraid to punch another guy in the nuts. It's a good secret weapon to have.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I didn't blame Mankins for doing that to the cheap dirty play of the chop blocking Donkos d-line.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Think we have problems? Revis and Jets far off... : I didn't blame Mankins for doing that to the cheap dirty play of the chop blocking Donkos d-line.......
    Posted by m1023us

He had it coming. I was laughing at the time. When you listen to Offensive Linemen talk(Especially the retired ones) They'll tell you pretty much anything goes and if you're going to make it you have to fight fire with fire...And that's a blow torch coming at you to make you think twice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Don't really care about what the Jets are doing. With or without Reevis, The Pats will still beat 'em.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I'll go with Peyton. For a guy that puts up the numbers he does in the regular season and to not do much in the postseason says something. Not even Polian on the competition committee has done the trick. At the end of the day, he and Brett Favre have the same number of rings and one guy doesn't care what he does, he just goes out and let's it fly. One guy ran into a ring and the other guy prepared his life for many and still only has one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from waldorff. Show waldorff's posts

In Response to Re: Think we have problems? Revis and Jets far off... : Agreed, but at least he has a resume though.  Same with Egghead. They at least have had great careers and have a ring.  It gets so old hearing people like Philip Rivers, Jay Cutler and Darelle Revis spend more time talking about how great they are then being GREAT. Rivers has become very good as has Revis, but you'd think these players are the best ever based upon how much they try to promote themselves. You'd think Jay Cutler was the next Dan Marion just 2 years ago.
    Posted by russgriswold

And more evidence that you are very new to football(as if we didn't know already).  That QBs name is actually Dan MARINO, you moron.  ANd what does how many years you've played got to do with it?  5 years is so much different than 3?  How about the same number of probowls yet more starts for Revis?  If you are the best at your position, you are the best wheher it's one year or 4 years.  The reality is, that doesn't matter either.  The only thing that is relevant is Revis is under contract and Mankins is not.  Mankins has every right to do what he's doing.  Revis is just refusing to honor what he signed.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The latest on Revis is that the Jets are willing to tear up his existing contract, and pay him huge dollars. If the Jets do  this, they are in essence trading one type of problem (a Revis holdout) for another (the destruction of their salary structure?). As good a player as Revis is, if the Jets do this for him, its' very short-sighted...and sets a bad precedent: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/17/report-jets-are-willing-to-offer-100-million-to-revis/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Tex, this is what I was saying on that other thread, The Pats can't lose on this, if they pay him they hurt their ability to sign future contracts and if they don't the Pats don't have to line up across from him. They have to pay him or that team will self destruct before training camp even starts.
    Posted by Sam-Adams

Sam...as you say...the Jets may self-destruct no matter what they deal with Revis.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Jets now appear to ready to give in to the Darrelle Revis demands, and make him the highest paid CB in the NFL: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/69123/report-indicates-jets-now-willing-to-give-revis-more-than-$100-million

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat99. Show TexasPat99's posts

Patriots will finish behind the Jets and Dolphins this year.  Get used to being the LOSERS that you really are!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

They're using Revis Island to film LOST!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

You cannot be a successful team and invest that much money in such an isolated position.

Sections
Shortcuts