This article sums up my feelings to a "T"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

This article sums up my feelings to a "T"

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/wet-and-ugly-new-england-patriots-rediscover-team-dna/24967/

I don't post here very often, and I believe this is the first-ever thread I've started, but this article, written by a long-time buddy of mine and the founder of the CHFF site, pretty much nails it, in my opinion. This is how I've felt for a very long time about the Patriots' sudden, dramatic style-shift following the catastrophic (some would say rigged) defeat in the '06 AFCC at Indy. It's high time they get back to playing football the "old school" way--even though, yes, The Polian Rules don't allow for that type of football to be played without consequences all the time. Over the long haul, my view is that the refs can't call EVERYTHING, and that in the post-season they call fewer and fewer penalties anyway. So I say, roll the dice, put the "high-octane" offensive side show to bed and start grinding out wins again. It's what won them those first two Super Bowls (the third title team was simply one of the best and most balanced NFL teams of all time).

As for the 2013 Patriots, I do believe there's a severe overreaction going on among the fanbase and, of course, the BB-hating media. Young WRs are going to make mistakes, especially in a complicated offense such as NE's. The good news is that--unless my lying eyes need glasses--I thought I saw Dobson and Thompkins getting open on a consistent basis Thursday night. So clearly, the talent appears to be there; it just needs to be cultivated and they still have 15 weeks (including the bye) to get that accomplished. Amendola will return--he's not as fragile as is being advertised. His injuries with the Rams were the unavoidable football-types of injuries that could hit any player, and groin injuries happen to athletes. What can you do? Most of you old enough to remember the Pete Carroll era might also remember that Willie McGinest missed the better part of two seasons in the late 90s with constant groin pulls/tears, or whatever. He even underwent offseason abdominal surgery to lessen the likelihood of groin injuries popping up again. I'd say Willie's career worked out OK in the end.

For those of you pining for Welker's "toughness" over Amendola's "fragility", I would simply remind you that Welker did suffer a torn ACL during his Patriots career, but since it happened in Week 17 instead of Week 6, he only missed one playoff game and came back by opening day the following season. Had it happened earlier in the year, he would have missed several games, and then perhaps HIS durability would be in question, no? The timing of that torn ACL had a lot to do with Welker not missing significant playing time.

Oh, and the best TE in the world will be returning soon. Vereen was a tough loss, but as soon as Bolden is ready to roll, the depth at RB will start to look better as well.

As for the defense, we can nit-pick all day long, but the bottom line is that they have allowed 24 points this season (obviously, the 7 on the fumble return in Buffalo do not count). The coverage in the secondary has been much better, too, save for a couple of correctable breakdowns, which happen to ALL defenses in the modern NFL. I know it was only against two rookie QBs, and that much tougher tests lie ahead, but what I'm seeing is much tighter coverage in the secondary against teams that, for all of their QB issues, still ran receivers like Santonio Holmes and Steve Johnson out there the past couple of weeks.

As for Brady's antics: I understand his frustration, but he's got to tone it down. I lived in South Florida for five years in the early 90s--the last few good, productive years of Dan Marino's career--and I became increasingly embarrassed for him as he constantly berated his teammates whenever things would go wrong, regardless of whether or not the breakdowns were their fault. The good news is that I believe Brady, unlike Marino or even P. Manning, is more equipped mentally to deal with NOT being the central focus of the offense than those two guys are/were. He's been the "game manager" engine driving the bus before, and he can be that way again. Marino and Manning were used to having the teams built around THEM their entire careers, and neither could handle any kind of change--Marino's dust-ups with Jimmy Johnson, after JJ wanted to reshape the Miami offense into the image of the offenses he ran in Dallas, were legendary (if underpublicized by the Marino-worshipping So. Florida media).

Anyway, enjoy the article. Feel free to share your thoughts, of course. And keep the faith! The team is 2-0, and 2-0 in the division, and they don't award style points in the NFL....just wins and losses.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: This article sums up my feelings to a

I didn't read the article you linked, but I agree with some of what you say. I don't agree on Amendola, I think he is just plain old injury prone...some people are like that, I think he is one...Edelman is another. I do think the young receivers will get better - I think the talent is there, it's just that these things take time and I'm shocked so many have forgotten that. When I watched the game, I thought...ok, he's got separation...the drop, the positioning, the feet out of bounds??? All correctable. Unless I'm placing too much value on separation, I think these kids have got ability.

I don't have a problem with Brady's recent outbursts, but that too is very correctable.

I just think it will take some time - in the mean time the defense needs to keep us in these games...Brady and Belichick have proven they can win the close ones. Having said that, I think this is a 10-6 team...and that's ok, just get us in the playoffs with momentum. I don't care about the bye right now, or home field. I just want a healthy, confident team heading into the playoffs...healthy too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Nice post and good article.  Offense needs more time together, but I would like the running game to set up the pass.  Ground pound, play action.  Don't care about points, care about wins.  Defense needs to prove itself against a non-rookie QB and I will be convinced they are back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

The article seems to ignore that was 2 games against supposedly very bad teams.  Does winning ugly against 2 bad teams translate to this new old school (whatever that means) such that this is going to be a success overall?  Will you still like this new style if they start losing to good teams?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

The article seems to ignore that was 2 games against supposedly very bad teams.  Does winning ugly against 2 bad teams translate to this new old school (whatever that means) such that this is going to be a success overall?  Will you still like this new style if they start losing to good teams?

Read it again. He mentions that it was against two rookie QBs and that the two wins don't necessarily make them Super Bowl contenders. The general theme of the article, however, is right on target IMO. They need to stop playing fantasy football and get back to playing real football again, and so far this year they have done that. Only time will tell how it all works out. I'm just trying to bring a little perspective to the table, since this seems to be the most unhappy fanbase in the entire NFL at times, despite the constant 10, 11, 12, 13-win seasons and deep playoff runs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Agree with article 83- 87%.  There are ugly wins and then there is Thursday.

That was ugly and lucky.  The defense looked great but it was Geno and the jets.

2-0 is nice but a beatdown could be around the corner if mcd and Brady don't figure this crap out. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to hardright's comment:

Read it again. He mentions that it was against two rookie QBs and that the two wins don't necessarily make them Super Bowl contenders. The general theme of the article, however, is right on target IMO. They need to stop playing fantasy football and get back to playing real football again, and so far this year they have done that. Only time will tell how it all works out. I'm just trying to bring a little perspective to the table, since this seems to be the most unhappy fanbase in the entire NFL at times, despite the constant 10, 11, 12, 13-win seasons and deep playoff runs.

I think my point is that winning ugly against bad teams says that we are a bad team, and not winning ugly against bad teams is like going back to being old school football of the championship years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

I'm with you 100% and have said basically the same thing in several other posts.  It's about giving our new players time and opportunity to develop.  So far, so good, as far as I'm concerned.  I think we will be seeing marked improvement as the team moves along.  A couple of things working in their favor this week...extra time to focus on issues that need to be addressed from the first two games and the fact that they are facing a team that they got to know pretty well in the preseason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Thanks for coming around Hardright. This article represents the frustrations that many fans have expressed on this board and across Patriot nation. We have all seen the transformation since 2007 and how the focus switched to finesse football. Over the last 3 years I think we have made strides toward getting back to the dynasty eras brand of football, it has just taken time.

I love the defensive personnel we have, and think they can continue to carry this team until this young receiving core learns the all important chemistry with Brady. Yes there is a touch of sarcasm in that last sentence as I think our offense out thinks themselves now adays. We end up hindering a receivers ability to succeed by suffocating them with the EP offensive system. ( I love our system but feel it needs to be dumbed down at times)I heard Dan Koppen just yesterday in his new job as a Siruis radio host talk about how the amount of info the o line and the skill position playErs has to know is more then on other teams, and he just played with Peyton for a year. His exact quote was, "I would hate to be a receiver for that team". 

Sorry to go off subject a bit but I feel the issues are linked. We all saw the receives beating there man in coverage yesterday and we saw Brady actually very sharp with his throws yet we had poor offensive production as there was no consistency. I think it will come as you insinuatel I just hope Tom or BB for that matter does not intimidate these young guys into playing below there talent level....being scared to make a mistake etc...

I am worried about the offfense's capability to manage the game clock. I don't think thiscurrent NFL will allow our defense to hold great QBs to 10 points when we are consistently going 3 and out. We will need the run game and it seems we are only focused on improving the passing game. This is a problem from my perspective.

P.s sorry about typos etc...IPAD 1 is a pain sometimes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

good article, hope he is right! Would rather win ugly then lose pretty.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

In response to FrankDooley's comment:

In response to hardright's comment:

Exactly.   I have hated our fantasy football finesse offenses for so long.  That's why the Welker-centric offense didn't succeed. It was great against average or bad Ds, but it failed against good ones.

All the small things were ignored for YEARS:

1. Ball control.

2. Clock control.

3. Establishing a run in the first half.

Take a look at #3.  A big reason why we could hold on in games that the offense struggled in for Week 1 and Week 2, was because we committed to #3. If we hadn't done that, we would have lost.

I fully realize the YPC in the Jets game was poor all night, but they kept running. That's the key. Once you totally abandon it and become predictable, it's likely over.

For the love of god, keep playing your offense this way, because it will come and the payoff will be in the playoffs.

One of the most amazing things about that 2003 team is that they won a Super Bowl and went 17-2 with a running game that averaged 3.4 YPC for the season. That was one of the two-worst YPC average for a SB champion in league history--I believe the 1970 Colts were the other one.

Yet, despite that poor YPC average, Weis kept a nice run/pass balance going the entire season. In fact, I think their distribution that season was about 50/50, maybe 51/49.

It paid off in the playoffs, because in the freezer game against Tennessee, Smith (remember him?) ripped off some very key runs to get the Pats out of bad field position in what turned out to be an extremely tight 3-point game, and then he bludgeoned the Colts' defense in the AFC title game in the snow. He also had a decent game against Carolina in the Super Bowl.

You simply cannot abandon the ground game outright--I still, to this day, cannot comprehend why Brady attempted 48 passes in a 17-14 game in Super Bowl 42, with a bad foot that required a boot on it after the AFC title game, no less. Maroney had rushed for about 240 yards in the post-season up to that point.

Mind boggling--I've always put that loss on McDaniels' shoulders more than anyone else's. The Giants were selling out to rush Brady and stop the pass (basically copying BB's Super Bowl 25 and Super Bowl 36 defensive game plans), and yet the Pats played right into their hands (like the Bills did against the Giants and the Rams did against the Patriots).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Good thread! The number of vocal positively inclined posters is growing because we all feel the same way in our gut.

Over the last few years, the Patriots had become a finesse team with a high-scoring passing offense that allowed the team to overcome its fundamental weaknesses in running and defense. Finesse, we have learned, wins regular season games, but physical football on all three phases of the game creates champions.

Now we have no passing offense safety valve. We have to learn to win ugly, with every player contributing more and doing their jobs to get hard-won victories. This is what the team needs to build a collective confidence, intestinal fortitude, and self-belief.

We don't need to be professional football players to recognize what we are seeing being built here. We see the same things in the orgnaizations we work in, with or for.

That's why we are optimistic. It may not all pan out the way we hope it will but we see the team headed in the right direction. Winning games we would have lost a year ago. We didn't win any games in 2012 when we scored only 13 points. That's an accomplishment right there.

So nice job of posting your thoughts. I could not agree more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

My favorite thing in this thread is coolade agreeing somewhere between 83 and 87 %.

It's not easy to be way to specific and amusingly ambiguous at the same time.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Exactly.   I have hated our fantasy football finesse offenses for so long. That's why the Welker-centric offense didn't succeed. It was great against average or bad Ds, but it failed against good ones.

1. Ball control.

2. Clock control.

Take a look at #3.  A big reason why we could hold on in games that the offense struggled in for Week 1 and Week 2, was because we committed to #3. If we hadn't done that, we would have lost.

I fully realize the YPC in the Jets game was poor all night, but they kept running. That's the key. Once you totally abandon it and become predictable, it's likely over.

For the love of god, keep playing your offense this way, because it will come and the payoff will be in the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear you hated your team for so long.  Next time you feel hatred for your team, remember that it's a free country, and no one's stopping you from rooting for some other team that plays a style you prefer and that has a coach who won't ignore all the "small things" like you apparently believe Bill Belichick does . . . The Chiefs run a lot.  So do the Vikings and the Jaguars.  And as we all know, they win the Super Bowl every year.

Sorry, but people who write articles like this don't know sh*t about football. I don't mean to be a jerk, but please, do you really think Bill Belichick doesn't know how to win? Do you really think he's forgeting the basics of football? Do you really think some guy writing on a blog site knows more about football and what the Patriots need to do to win than the coach who has taken the team to five Super Bowls in twelve seasons?

Just a few points.  

• Ground and pound is a fine tactic in certain situations and it's great if a team can do it.  But very few teams can play ground and pound all game unless they have a great defense.  Ground and pound is not a high scoring offense, so you need to be able to keep your opponents from scoring very much so the game stays low scoring overall.  The Patriots defense simply has not been good enough to limit points and therefore to allow the Pats to play ground and pound.  
    • You can't play ground and pound unless you have good ground and pound players on offense.  The Pats haven't been built that way.  I don't think BB has intentionally built a team that can't run well -- it's just the luck of the draw with the guys he's been able to acquire -- but he was never going to design an offense that was built around guys like BJGE and Danny Woodhead or an offensive line that isn't a consistently good run-blocking unit.  That would be foolish. 
    • The strength of the offense has been Tom Brady.  So of course Belichick built an offense around that strength.  That means more passing.  And if Welker is your best receiver, you're forced to design an offense that works for him too.  The hurry-up, short passing approach they've been using is a direct result of BB and his OCs brilliantly (and I stress brilliantly) figuring out how to design an offense that can score given the odd and in many ways limited collection of talent they had to work with.  And remember, with their bad defense of the past few years, scoring a lot was paramount.  They needed to be explosive to win.  
    • Offenses are supposed to score points.  The Pats' offense is going to have to get better than it was against the Bills and the Jets.  To get better, it's going to have to improve the passing game.  This offense as a one-dimensional running offense will be scary bad.  We don't have enough stud blockers for that and our RBs, while better than they have been, aren't that good.
    • It's not the 1970s anymore.  The best NFL offenses use a lot of passing.  All the HCs and OCs in the NFL aren't having collective brain f*arts.  Seventies style football doesn't get you very far in the NFL unless you have a top-notch defense that can hold the league's best offenses to very few points game after game. 
    • I think the Pats defense is getting better and that may help us run more conservative offenses, especially when we have a lead late in the game.  But this team still needs an explosive passing game to win, I think, for two reasons:  First, while our defense has improved, I'm not sure it's going to be good enough to hold the best NFL offenses to ten or fifteen points a game, game after game. Second, I just don't see the running game looking good enough yet to convince me it can carry the offense on its back.

Again, I don't mean to be a jerk, but I find these posts where fans pretend to know how to coach the team better than Bill Belichick annoying.  Learn to appreciate the genius we have as a coach! Belichick does all the right things when it comes to utilizing his talent in the most effective ways. He's remarkable that way.  The whiner fans who come on here and cry because the team isn't "smashmouth" enough for them really don't deserve to be watching this team.  Stop complaining and appreciate what you've got here.  Because believe me, you'll be darn lucky to ever see a team so well coached again in your lifetime.  This team is a rare event.  One of the best coached in the history of the game.  If you don't like it, please, go watch the Chiefs . . . 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Exactly.   I have hated our fantasy football finesse offenses for so long. That's why the Welker-centric offense didn't succeed. It was great against average or bad Ds, but it failed against good ones.

1. Ball control.

2. Clock control.

Sorry to hear you hated your team for so long.  Next time you feel hatred for your team, remember that it's a free country, and no one's stopping you from rooting for some other team that plays a style you prefer and that has a coach who won't ignore all the "small things" like you apparently believe Bill Belichick does . . . The Chiefs run a lot.  So do the Vikings and the Jaguars.  And as we all know, they win the Super Bowl every year.

Sorry, but people who write articles like this don't know sh*t about football. I don't mean to be a jerk, but please, do you really think Bill Belichick doesn't know how to win? Do you really think he's forgeting the basics of football? Do you really think some guy writing on a blog site knows more about football and what the Patriots need to do to win than the coach who has taken the team to five Super Bowls in twelve seasons?

Just a few points.  

• Ground and pound is a fine tactic in certain situations and it's great if a team can do it.  But very few teams can play ground and pound all game unless they have a great defense.  Ground and pound is not a high scoring offense, so you need to be able to keep your opponents from scoring very much so the game stays low scoring overall.  The Patriots defense simply has not been good enough to limit points and therefore to allow the Pats to play ground and pound.  
    • You can't play ground and pound unless you have good ground and pound players on offense.  The Pats haven't been built that way.  I don't think BB has intentionally built a team that can't run well -- it's just the luck of the draw with the guys he's been able to acquire -- but he was never going to design an offense that was built around guys like BJGE and Danny Woodhead or an offensive line that isn't a consistently good run-blocking unit.  That would be foolish. 
    • The strength of the offense has been Tom Brady.  So of course Belichick built an offense around that strength.  That means more passing.  And if Welker is your best receiver, you're forced to design an offense that works for him too.  The hurry-up, short passing approach they've been using is a direct result of BB and his OCs brilliantly (and I stress brilliantly) figuring out how to design an offense that can score given the odd and in many ways limited collection of talent they had to work with.  And remember, with their bad defense of the past few years, scoring a lot was paramount.  They needed to be explosive to win.  
    • Offenses are supposed to score points.  The Pats' offense is going to have to get better than it was against the Bills and the Jets.  To get better, it's going to have to improve the passing game.  This offense as a one-dimensional running offense will be scary bad.  We don't have enough stud blockers for that and our RBs, while better than they have been, aren't that good.
    • It's not the 1970s anymore.  The best NFL offenses use a lot of passing.  All the HCs and OCs in the NFL aren't having collective brain f*arts.  Seventies style football doesn't get you very far in the NFL unless you have a top-notch defense that can hold the league's best offenses to very few points game after game. 
    • I think the Pats defense is getting better and that may help us run more conservative offenses, especially when we have a lead late in the game.  But this team still needs an explosive passing game to win, I think, for two reasons:  First, while our defense has improved, I'm not sure it's going to be good enough to hold the best NFL offenses to ten or fifteen points a game, game after game. Second, I just don't see the running game looking good enough yet to convince me it can carry the offense on its back.

Again, I don't mean to be a jerk, but I find these posts where fans pretend to know how to coach the team better than Bill Belichick annoying.  Learn to appreciate the genius we have as a coach! Belichick does all the right things when it comes to utilizing his talent in the most effective ways. He's remarkable that way.  The whiner fans who come on here and cry because the team isn't "smashmouth" enough for them really don't deserve to be watching this team.  Stop complaining and appreciate what you've got here.  Because believe me, you'll be darn lucky to ever see a team so well coached again in your lifetime.  This team is a rare event.  One of the best coached in the history of the game.  If you don't like it, please, go watch the Chiefs . . . 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the burden of having Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Rob Gronkowski must have resulted in lengthy offensive meetings where the coaching staff consulted a magic eight ball, or even perhaps met on the cross roads to collectively sell their souls to the devil himself, so that we may overcome the talent deprived group of hacks that idiot BB has thrown together.

I don't know how else they could have figured it out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

1. Ball control.

2. Clock control.

Just a few points.  

Yeah, the burden of having Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Rob Gronkowski must have resulted in lengthy offensive meetings where the coaching staff consulted a magic eight ball, or even perhaps met on the cross roads to collectively sell their souls to the devil himself, so that we may overcome the talent deprived group of hacks that idiot BB has thrown together.

Yeah, you whined for a whole year that they weren't giving the ball to BJGE enough.  Even you recognized those receivers weren't enough.  Your mistake, though, was actually thinking running BJGE more was the answer.  Maybe follow the Bengals.  They're trying that now.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good article, good thread, good post.  You should post here more often.

How many teams didn't look good until they seemed to hit their groove in the playoffs and ended up winning the SB?   Ravens and Giants come to mind in recent memory.  That is what I am holding out hope for.  Really, if those teams could do it in recent past, why can't this Patriots team?  Yeah, the talent isn't that good on offense, rookie WR's who look lost and seemed to have forgot how to run routes and catch a ball, players who cant stay healthy, the running back merry-go-round, lack of depth of DB's and DL, it's all going to be close, nail biting games.  And then a few blow out losses I'm afraid.  I see 5-6 losses on the schedule, not bad, they will make the playoffs...thanks to a week division. 

So they have 16 weeks to pull it together, plenty of time. Right?  I don't know.  I hope.  I don't see a Championship team as of now, they have to get a lot better, not just better but a lot better.  Blown opportunities in the offseason, hanging hopes on rookies, some nobody wanted, others I never heard of, vets who miss big chuncks of seasons due to injuries doesn't help but like I said earlier, if the Giants and Ravens can do it, why can't we have some luck on our side this season. They sure didn't look like Championship teams during the season.  

Did you see Bill Belichick after the game vs the Jets?  He had a smile on his face as he gave the crowd a wave after victory.  I know he wasn't happy with what he seen out there, he knows they escaped with a win, but it was a win and he will take it.  Find a way to win next game, one game at a time. 

Hopefully heart and luck will carry this team to the promise land, talent alone sure won't do it.  I think it is fair to question the moves made this offseason, or lack thereof, and it's fair to scrutinize each game because holding out hopes of getting lucky at the end of the season isn't the path great organizations take.... but there are times exceptions need to be made, this may be one of those time.  SB victory or bust!  Same as every season.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

1. Ball control.

2. Clock control.

Just a few points.  

Yeah, you whined for a whole year that they weren't giving the ball to BJGE enough.  Even you recognized those receivers weren't enough.  Your mistake, though, was actually thinking running BJGE more was the answer.  Maybe follow the Bengals.  They're trying that now.  

Only a man who has buried himself into the corner of an argument would say the things you say. Our running should have been more of a focus, we were too focused on the down field pass. We threw 135 passes to 55 rushes in 3 losses in a row to the giants....2 of them super bowls. We should have ran BJGE more, and if he wasn't our lead back and it was say....mike cloud, we should have ran him more as well. Your brilliant guy obrien failed to capitalize on 2 of the highest scoring offense's in NFL history, by scoring 21, 13, and 17 in his 3 playoff exits. Oh, that's right, we were talented enough to score 33 ppg every year, just not talented enough to score over 17 ppg On the biggest stage. Oh, but just keep spinning it back too I thought BJGE was a world beater, that should help your argument. 

•  
    Sections
    Shortcuts