This defense better get better...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

This defense better get better...

I may be stating the obvious but I'm sure there will be many of you that will give me the "it's only week 2" argument. Just saying, It looks NO different than it did last season. Sure, we're going to have double digit wins but without a stout, solid D it will be one and done again in the playoffs.
    I'd love to see these guys we brought in start to make some sort of impact. Andre Carter, Haynseworth especially. Very dissapointing so far!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Re: This defense better get better...

Yup 3 TDs given up to one of the top offenses in the NFL-terrible

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

the defense is much better than last year. they have more sacks at this time and they are getting pressure on many of the passing downs without blitzing, rivers is a top 5 qb and did a good job in getting rid of the ball. a few of those drives were continued because of defensive holding on 3rd down. they shut down the run and took gates out of the game. 

putting up big passing yards is league wide now, the packers are supposed to have a great defense but they were shredded by a rookie qb. safety may be a concern after chung but all in all this defense is going to be good and will improve as the year moves on. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In Response to Re: This defense better get better...:
    [QUOTE]What I find funny is everyone is so high on Green Bay right now and saying the Pats D needs work when Green Bay's defense has given up more yards then the Pats have. Their defense has looked just as suspect but yet all i here is how they are so good. So we are willing to assume the Packers D will get better as it goes but that the Pats wont? When they have BB as their coach? Come on. A lot of D's look not so great right now.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Thats what I said after Week 1 and people are like oh, well its a little different giving up 400 yards to Brees than Henne. After week 2 the Patriots hold a top 5 QB to less yards than GB allowed to a rookie and these same people still go on to rip the Patriots defense. Doesn't make sense to me

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Yeah, there's certainly room for improvement but this subject has been beaten to death by now and there's probably been two dozen threads in the last 2 days about why the Pats won't win in the playoffs because of the secondary, the pass rush, the run game, the play calling, Ocho-Cinco, a big WR, a bigger CB, a new (old) safety named Sharper, or a full back.

Tell you the truth I'd like to talk about something positive after the Patriots just beat one of the best teams in the AFC, sealed the win with a strip sack, had a goal line stop, created four turnovers, dropped 34 on one of the leagues top defenses, and are moving the offense with record efficiency in the pass and run. 

This board is so unbearably negative after a big win that I can't imagine seeing it after a loss.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, there's certainly room for improvement but this subject has been beaten to death by now and there's probably been two dozen threads in the last 2 days about why the Pats won't win in the playoffs because of the secondary, the pass rush, the run game, the play calling, Ocho-Cinco, a big WR, a bigger CB, a new (old) safety named Sharper, or a full back. Tell you the truth I'd like to talk about something positive after the Patriots just beat one of the best teams in the AFC, sealed the win with a strip sack, had a goal line stop, created four turnovers, dropped 34 on one of the leagues top defenses, and are moving the offense with record efficiency in the pass and run.  This board is so unbearably negative after a big win that I can't imagine seeing it after a loss.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I'm with you brother. Some fans have gotten to spoiled they can't even enjoy a win anymore. I bet the Jets are squirming in their pants right now not looking forward to playing us. Now I hope we can maybe get by the Bills with this terrible D (sarcasm)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

The sky is falling...the sky is falling!!

Oh wait a second.....we are 2-0.....and just held one of the best offenses in the NFL to 21 points. And we just scored 35.....ummm yeah.....we are DOOMED!!!

Are these people going to be suicidal if we lose a game this year?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Name one defense that has looked stupendous two weeks in a row?

Steelers? Got blown out week 1
    Ravens? Got beaten down by the Titans passing attack, lol.
    Packers? back to back 400 yard games allowed to opposing QBs
    Yets? Got showed up by Dallas until Romo chocked
    Chargers? Got lit up by Tom Brady.
    Phins? Got destroyed by Tom Brady.

I don't think I missed a top tier defense, did I?

Point is, all defenses have struggled so far.

King posted the improvements in this D, I wont repost them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think it has more to do with BB's defensive philosophy and less to do with defensive personnel. This defense WILL get better just as it does each year game to game. It is a complex defense and we have lots of young players. I think Bill calls a conservative game plan early on in the year and throws in some more wrenches as players get comfortable. This is not new! I just wish he would take the training wheels off already as I think we have some real play makers on this team right now!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

All that matters is the passing defense and the pressure the D Line can generate. Teams aren't going to run all over them. If that doesn't improve they won't win it all. It's simple as that from a defense standpoint. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

If the Patriots aren't good enough to win it all then I don't know who is.

It doesn't take a dominant team to win in the new NFL. The NFL wants parity and they have it for the most part. There are no dominant teams anymore.

Playoff teams change every year with a few exceptions like the Patriots, Steelers and Colts. I like our chances.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]If the Patriots aren't good enough to win it all then I don't know who is. It doesn't take a dominant team to win in the new NFL. The NFL wants parity and they have it for the most part. There are no dominant teams anymore. Playoff teams change every year with a few exceptions like the Patriots, Steelers and Colts. I like our chances.
    Posted by digger0862[/QUOTE]

You need a balanced team. It's not a coincidence that GB was a top 10 offense and defense team and won it all. The Pats will be a top 5 offense unit. They need to get that D moving toward the lower teens.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark99. Show noahsark99's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, there's certainly room for improvement but this subject has been beaten to death by now and there's probably been two dozen threads in the last 2 days about why the Pats won't win in the playoffs because of the secondary, the pass rush, the run game, the play calling, Ocho-Cinco, a big WR, a bigger CB, a new (old) safety named Sharper, or a full back. Tell you the truth I'd like to talk about something positive after the Patriots just beat one of the best teams in the AFC, sealed the win with a strip sack, had a goal line stop, created four turnovers, dropped 34 on one of the leagues top defenses, and are moving the offense with record efficiency in the pass and run.  This board is so unbearably negative after a big win that I can't imagine seeing it after a loss.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Thanks for a good and well needed injection of good vibes. I can't beleive how negative and how many couch-potato fans we have posting here......Seem overly spoiled to med. Where I live in Sweden anyone that even knows about the NFL has the Pats as the prototype of higher achievment and "Football Excellence". So lets move on with what you suggested. A little positive analysis of the many things we're doing as well or better than nayone else.

I see no reason to cut out the Shenanigans, do you???

Noah in Stocholm

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]The sky is falling...the sky is falling!! Oh wait a second.....we are 2-0.....and just held one of the best offenses in the NFL to 21 points. And we just scored 35.....ummm yeah.....we are DOOMED!!! Are these people going to be suicidal if we lose a game this year?
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

So we're damned if we're too optimistic too early and damned if we're too concerned despite the wins!  Yes, we've also been lectured that stats don't tell the whole story and been lulled to sleep by references that all the good teams are also struggling.  And those that want to continue drinking cool-aid might even suggest that other teams are also not concerned as long as they're winning.

So it remains among those identified as trolls or idiots (and not diehard Patriot fans) to point out the obvious.  Stats don't tell the whole story but they also shouldn't be too easily dismissed.  Especially if they begin identifying trends, which do matter!

Trends identify a team's vulnerabilities and simplify game planning. BB tries to conceal areas of weakness by altering game plans and our opponents try to capitalize on our vulnerabilities.  The lack of a pass rush, for instance, may increase the number of blitzes.  Everyone knows that Brady's effectiveness drops when pressured (true for all quarterbacks).  Our past failures to execute, when part of a trend, form an opponents strategy! So,stats may be quite revealing!

The concept of bend but don't break acknowledges that our secondary is a vulnerable area.   Our opponents success on third down conversions also suggests an inability to disrupt a passer's rhythm and this focuses on the defensive line.  Should these trends continue the SB outlook dims.

I started as a Patriot fan in the early '70s and stayed with them through many disappointing seasons.  Late comers as fans should not presume that all negative input and concerns come from idiots and trolls. History has a way of repeating itself and trends that go neglected eventually prove telling, both positive and negative.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]You need a balanced team. It's not a coincidence that GB was a top 10 offense and defense team and won it all. The Pats will be a top 5 offense unit. They need to get that D moving toward the lower teens.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I would love to have a top ten defense, we would dominate.

All I'm saying is look at all the other teams in the NFL. Who scares you? No one else is very good right now either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I guess I just disagree.  I think it's a falacy that the Pats' D isn't good.  Granted, losing Pryor doesn't help, but right now BB isn't even showing his hand yet.  He didn't blitz until the 4th against the Chargers for good reasons. 

This D is going to get better in small areas, each week.  Buffalo's a good team to begin this improvement.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

The only thing that drove me nuts about the Patriots defense on Sunday was allowing the Chargers to convert on so many third downs.  That was a huge problem last year.  But I was impressed with the goal line stand, forcing the turnovers when the Chargers were in the red zone, and taking Antonio Gates out of the game.  A lot of the NFL offenses are ahead of the defenses right now so I truly believe that the Patriots defense will only get better as the season goes on.  The Chargers offense is pretty awesome so I'm not surprised at how efficient they were at converting the third downs.  But the defense has got to improve on that so they aren't on the field for so long.  We're not always going to be able to generate the turnovers (like we didn't in the playoff loss to the Jets) so that area will have to improve. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]Oh my god. Here are the improvements for the fans with such poor memories that can't remember Week 1 and Week 2 in 2010, a rebuilding year: 1. Run D - Without question, the edges and middle are locked down. Neither Bush nor Matthews/Tolbert did squat in this area.  Each was held under 80 yards. 2. Pass Rush/Hurries - Not debatbale. They are way ahead of last year in this area.  Top 10 so far in sacks.  3. Versatilty - Is this really debatable running a 4-3 with some 3-4 mixed in? 4. Depth/Experience - Only Safety seems to be a question mark spot and so far it looks pretty solid. We'll see, but the D Line alone is far deeper. 5. Possibly Turnovers - 4 in 2 games, they rank in the top tier in this area, currently.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

How are we doing on 3rd downs, how are we doing on points against?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]The only thing that drove me nuts about the Patriots defense on Sunday was allowing the Chargers to convert on so many third downs.  That was a huge problem last year.  But I was impressed with the goal line stand, forcing the turnovers when the Chargers were in the red zone, and taking Antonio Gates out of the game.  A lot of the NFL offenses are ahead of the defenses right now so I truly believe that the Patriots defense will only get better as the season goes on.  The Chargers offense is pretty awesome so I'm not surprised at how efficient they were at converting the third downs.  But the defense has got to improve on that so they aren't on the field for so long.  We're not always going to be able to generate the turnovers (like we didn't in the playoff loss to the Jets) so that area will have to improve. 
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats[/QUOTE]

I think many of us get impatient and forget it takes time to gel, especially w/ all the new players, shortened pre-season, and slight change in defensive scheme/philosophy.  It'll be interesting to see how well we progress when the players get to know each other, and the schemes are more instinctive.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This defense better get better... : I think many of us get impatient and forget it takes time to gel, especially w/ all the new players, shortened pre-season, and slight change in defensive scheme/philosophy.  It'll be interesting to see how well we progress when the players get to know each other, and the schemes are more instinctive.
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.