This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....

In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....:
    In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : That's because the defense is young and still learning the ropes, still learning how to work with the system. Once they have it down to the point where they don't have to think anymore, they'll start accomplishing those kinds of turnovers.
    Posted by patpscyho
    im not saying they are bad,but not great just yet.i was saying once the turnovers,and sacks ect start happening.look out!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

It's hard to compare a defense to the 03 and 04 championship winning defense because of one simple thing, those two defenses won the big game. Only time will tell what this defense is capable of. They continue to go out and play well enough to win the game. Belichick succeeded in what he set out to do. He wanted a younger, faster defense and he got it in this group. They were without their best player and on Sunday they lost the next best on that defense. The look on Jarivus Green's face made me think that they would start licking their chops and say that's the end of it. The D still played well.

Once the NE offense start clicking on all cylinders this team will be the best in the league. When Mayo, Wilfork, and Welker come back we will officially be the team to beat. 

Sanders            Meriweather

Bodden                                                                            Wilhite/Springs
                           Banta-Cain   Guyton       Mayo       Thomas                                                           
                                 Wright        Wilfork        Warren

Moss             Light   Mankins Koppen  Neal Kazur            Welker
                                                                     Baker/Watson         Galloway

Tom Brady 

Fred Taylor 

We are looking at a really good team. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Guys,
    The Defense looks pretty good this season. Haven't really seen many blown coverage in the secondary (read: 3rd and 15th in the OT loss to R-A-T-S last season). I agree that lots of work still needs to be done, but this could be a building block to a good defensive team in the future. We can never have a D like Ravens and Steelers, but we can definitely be in top 5. Also, why are Pats so stingy in giving contracts to block buster players? I am sure that TB will cash in big time in the next year or so. Why can't they pay good $$ to lure away a stellar DT/DE/OLB? One block buster player can chage the way D plays (Read: Polamalu, Freeney, Sanders). I am not saying that they need to hand out absurd contract like Raiders and Redskins, but something in the range of what they paid to Seymour should attract a lot of attention to prized free-agents who don't have anything to prove except win a super-bowl ring.
    Any thoughts?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

I hope everyone is right and this D does indeed prove itself mighty over the course of the season. However, it is not really "young." I think "balanced" is the better term--a nice mix of some young players and some seasoned vets.

Be prepared for another significant overhaul of the CBs next year (again). If Bodden has a great year, will BB pay him? Can Springs stay healthy for the full year and next?

It may very well be Wilhite (if he buys an alarm system) and Butler next year, which may be just fine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

So do you guys think Brace has been benched because of disappointing development, or surprising production from Wright, Pryor, etc?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....:
    In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : One of the few guys that post here who has a clue...
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : If you don't consider the Tedy Bruschi of those seasons a "Playmaker", I'm not sure what games you watched. He didn't have the flashy stats, but he made plays when it absolutely counted the most. THAT is a playmaker.
    Posted by jedinate

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : If you don't consider the Tedy Bruschi of those seasons a "Playmaker", I'm not sure what games you watched. He didn't have the flashy stats, but he made plays when it absolutely counted the most. THAT is a playmaker.
    Posted by jedinate

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

The D is better than last year but it's far too early to tell. They sure the hell didn't go on 4 and 1 from their 24 yardline because they had faith in the D. It was rather the opposite.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

So do you guys think Brace has been benched because of disappointing development, or surprising production from Wright, Pryor, etc?
    Posted by arodrambone

i've been wondering that too. i remember seeing him come in for what i assumed would be a series in the first game, and he lasted two plays. got pushed back and turned around by the guard both times, and then wilfork came back in. havent really seen him since. who knows whats going on in practice, but pryor has clearly jumped him on the depth chart. but it may just be that pryor looks really good (which he does) over anything brace has done wrong. as i recall, it took wilfork some time to get in the games as a rookie, too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

whoever said there were no defensive playmakers from '01-04 needs to realize we had Law, Sey, Phifer, Tedy Willy, Otis just to name a few Learn your Pats

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

and we still need someone who can create pressure from the outside in a 4 man rush. i'd like to see AD used there once in awhile. 
    on the plus side, jarvis green seems to have rediscovered his interior pressure which was missing last season. and he's maing plays in the running game. he's off to a very good start i think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

whoever said there were no defensive playmakers from '01-04 needs to realize we had Law, Sey, Phifer, Tedy Willy, Otis just to name a few Learn your Pats
    Posted by jader

Oh good, let's keep debating the meaning of "playmaker."  I think it's a guy who is on ESPN highlight reels week in and week out.  Haven't seen any Pats there, booooo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : Wheatley didn't start, Bodden did (along with Springs). Pray, how does Wilhite $uck? 
    Posted by patpscyho

It starts with his inability to adequately cover the opposing teams WR. 

I seen a lot of the back of his jersey the first 2 games.  Even seen him on the ground in the end zone ala Hobbs on a TD.

Watch closely next game (if he plays).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

i agree with Z on alot of points. When the pats first signed bodden, i was really excited. I watched him play against the bengals when he was with the browns, and he shut down ocho cinco the whole game. He was physical, and ocho said after the game hes the best corner he has ever played against, something along those lines.

After watching the first 3 games with him, i think he might be the best tackler in our secondary... i feel like he'll always make a tackle, and sometimes has a chance to put on a big hit. We havent had that from our corners in a while...  I think once the D gets together, and more experienced, they'll be able to send more blitzes because of their improved secondary... They havent been able to do that last few years either... And the coaches can finally make some exotic play calls to confuse QB's... I mean you really cannot do anything defensively, besides playing cover 2, when ur corners are deltha oniel and ellis hobbs... 

One thing i disgree with is the playmakers on D on the previous teams. I think we had plenty of playmakers during those years, i dont think u should take away credit from those players. But that doesnt mean this team does not have any playmakers... I mean who were bruischy, and vrabel before they got their chance... they were nobodies... Thats exactly what could be with these players like guyton, mcgowan, bodden, willhite... Hopefully anyways!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3420625. Show user_3420625's posts

1) Our D line is solid.  Just solid.  Not spectacular anymore without Sey.  Maybe a rookie or sub steps up, but Burgess for Sey is not a good trade.  Playoff games are won in the trenches, and I'm not sure we can push around big O lines.  Remember the '06 playoff game against SD?  Best game I've ever seen.  Complete in-the-trenches win.

2) Our linebackers are so-so, and that will get exploited.  Although McGowan looks like a Rodney replacement so far, so maybe he will take care of TEs.  Any team that gets to the second level on us has a good chance of breaking the run though.

3) Our secondary is good, but not great.  Yet.  Stay tuned.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This has to be the most ironic of threads considering all the talk in the offseason, worry worts wailing about the sky falling regarding the weak PAT's defense we could expect this season...

Right now the PAT's have the 7th best defense when considering the only stat that matters; points allowed.  11th in sacks, tied for 4th in touchdowns allowed, +1 turnover ratio, but zero interceptions...

They're still improving which is exciting to me and we havent begun to see the pass rush that will develop more as the season progresses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from earlWilson. Show earlWilson's posts

In Response to This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....:
     . . . a dominant 30% on 3rd down. Allowing a paltry 14 pts a game. Allowing around 260 yards a game, and not once allowing 300 yards a game. And the revamped secondary has made complete no shows of T.O., Lee Evans and now Tony Gonzalez. There is a long, long way to go, but there is also a *lot* to like about the speed and ability of this young defense. I can't wait until they get their assignements down, and NE can start throwing some exotic fronts out there. 
    Posted by zbellino

they are young and have a great future, but when your offense stays on the field for close to 40 minutes...that can only make the Defense better. having said that, they made some nice plays yesterday.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Two sacks. Six PDs. And one big INT.

I would like to know what the playmaker people think now. And no this isn't a baiting post at all. I want an honest opinion, and some more good discussion about the nature of stats, and whether they can mislead.

This weak NE's defense thrived on the big play. But they gave up more yardage, and it was nip and tuck the entire way.

Given your choice of those stats, or the relentless 3-out performance against Atlanta, which would you take? Why?

Personally, I won't get down on them, because bottom line, they only allowed 14 points, again. But their 3rd down conversion rate wasn't very good, and the opposing offense got over 300 yards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

We'll have a championsip caliber secondary again by the end of the regular season! Merriwether coming on big time. Butler, bodden and springs all had some excellent plays. great seeing DBs hit receivers as they're attempting to catch the ball, rather than chasing them down the field flailing their arms uselessly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

The other guys get paid too.Our defense gave up 14 pts. That's good enough for me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Two sacks. Six PDs. And one big INT. I would like to know what the playmaker people think now. And no this isn't a baiting post at all. I want an honest opinion, and some more good discussion about the nature of stats, and whether they can mislead. This weak NE's defense thrived on the big play. But they gave up more yardage, and it was nip and tuck the entire way. Given your choice of those stats, or the relentless 3-out performance against Atlanta, which would you take? Why? Personally, I won't get down on them, because bottom line, they only allowed 14 points, again. But their 3rd down conversion rate wasn't very good, and the opposing offense got over 300 yards.
    Posted by zbellino

The Pats definitely didn't put their best foot forward on 3rd downs, but I leave this game very encouraged as a fan. Meriweather was flying all over the field. Butler saved a touchdown and showed tight coverage. He's now my leader in the very fickle Favorite Rookie Pat contest. McGowan was an absolute gem of a find. The secondary is light years ahead of last year. That's going to give BB more confidence to unleash the dogs up front and the sacks will come.

How about Guyton? Several deflections, big stop on the 4th down play. Mike Wright played very well aside from the brain cramp shot to the face. Wilfork? The stats don't ever show what he does.

The plan was to take away the run and they got gouged by Mason, had to adjust and did. There was ample pressure on Flacco, not many sacks, but lots of hits and moving him off the spot.

For those who expect the Pats to pitch shutouts to playoff teams like Baltimore and ATL, that's just unrealistic. While this was a bit too close for comfort thanks to the strip sack TD, I'll take a D effort like this every week and see you all in February.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

While this was a bit too close for comfort thanks to the strip sack TD, I'll take a D effort like this every week and see you all in February.
    Posted by seattlemaslow

I didn't expect NE to come out like this, this early in the season.

However, it does demonstrate that the youngns' need to learn how to modulate between attack-mode and seal-off mode.

They blitzed very effectively, and I count the intentional grounding as a sack, even though it isn't. So two becomes three.

But they also left some creases open for the perimiter rush, which Baltimore used effectively throughout the game.

Attacking all the time requires very high discipline. They will pick that up.

To the others, yes, Bodden, Meriweather, Guyton are all looking like studs.

Meriweather gets the game ball. That last drop was a direct result of the lickings he was dealing out all day long.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I thought the pass rush was really good today.  The tackles provided some consistent bull rushes, while Banta-Cain and Burgess managed to generate some heat off the edge.  I'm really impressed with the defense so far.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

yeah this defense is really starting to put together an identity and its pretty exciting. even burgess actually looked like he was finally getting into it a little today. and i like sands out there for a few plays a game - the man is a load! although i have a feeling he is winded after 3 plays. 
    the one weakness to me is sanders. he blew the tackle on the big run and never seems to be there in run support or the passing game. i cant wait until chung takes his place. merriwether was HUGE and mcgowan is continuing to look strong (he pretty much took out flacco and sanders on that safety blitz).

Sections
Shortcuts