This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryBallz. Show HarryBallz's posts

Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....

Ty Law, Tedy Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, etc

Guys who just got it done in the clutch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....:
    [QUOTE]Ty Law, Tedy Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, etc Guys who just got it done in the clutch.
    Posted by HarryBallz[/QUOTE]

None of those guys have gotten anything done in the clutch in a few seasons. None of them can play football anymore.

Their "clutch" was simply athleticism and discipline.

Period.

Each one of those players could be counted on to be where they were supposed to be, and to be fit enough to make the play when they had to.

So far, just three games in, I am seeing that from this crew.

No brainless Ellis Hobbs style mistakes. No sloppy Asante Samuel non-tackling, where if he isn't picking it, he is waiting for a safety to bail him out.

Just guys doing their jobs.

I like it.

If they keep doing their jobs people will start calling them 'clutch' too, because Ne will make some serious noise in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

The D does look good throught 3 games with a Big Test next week against Flacco and Mcgahee.  The tackling does need some improving, they are giving up a some yards after first contact.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

It is only the 3rd game but I am optimistic about what I'm seeing on the field.  the Pats staple as always is stopping the run and they have done that so far.  The secondary looks sharp and in general the defense is starting to play well as a single unit.  Guyton, Merriweather and Wareen all played well and the conrnerback issues does not appear to be a weakness on this team.

I think that by mid season we could be looking at a dominant defense.  Let's see how the depth on this team looks as injuries are factored into the equation.

dboss

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....:
    [QUOTE]I hate the term playmaker. It is essentially meaningless outside of fingering one player with flashy statistics. A playmaker is a guy who makes the plays you need him to make. This defense has eleven playmakers. The cover well, and don't get gashed by the run at the same time. That is a championship 'D,' if they can keep it up. Where were the 'playmaker' on the 2001-2003-2004 defenses? They had no stars, and it irked the media, because they didn't know how to build them up. I will take this defense over any number of defenses with accomplished sack artists. Dallas, San Diego? They have 'playmakers' but they don't make the plays they need to win. I will take this defense over any number of defenses with the ace 'shutdown' corner, like Oakland or Carolina. The only stat I care about is how many points they surrender, and how many long drives they allow as a unit. They are excellent there, so give them credit.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

That is what you get with a BB coached defense. I posted this on several different threads but I remain optimistic with a defense that for the first time in a while is young and athletic. BB was held hostage as to what type of gameplan he could use on Sundays and now we have top draft picks playing together sprinkled with solid veterans.

No Mayo and our defense is playing very well. We have another test against the Ravens next week but so far Pats fans should recognize we have effective defensive players!!

Not to mention whats will happen as Brady and wr chemistry improves througout the season. Lots of points left on the board today. this easily could have been a blow out!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

[QUOTE]was Wilhite a healthy scratch??? he was not on the injury report and he never saw the field... He must have done something wrong for wheatley to be thrusted into the starting poackage with springs and @ left corner in the nickle??
    Posted by tagandtrade[/QUOTE]

BB finally realized that Wilhite $ucks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

congrats pats fans.  Didn't show the game here.  Was it a dominant performance? 

I will say this - I have po o po o'd the D, but only 10 pts from Atlanta.  They must be gelling well. 

By the way:

did anyone see Rodney Harrison hate on Ryan before saying they had a good team, only to try to goad Dungy into something by calling the Colts D soft.  Arrogance must be selective.  What a tool.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

For the people saying it's only been 3 games. I think that is the biggest strong point in the defense.  Considering all the new faces on the defense and guys like Green, Guyton and Woods having to step up as starters, it shows a lot of promise.  The team hasn't had time to gel yet which means it should only get better from here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Achainsaw. Show Achainsaw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : One of the few guys that post here who has a clue...
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

There's a reason they looked good without Wilfork. If anyone has had the benefit of going to a game and seeing the entire field, with the exception of the first quarter of the Jets game, he's made no penetration. And he hasnt drawn a double team all season. He is being handled one on one. I'm sure no one wants to hear it, but all you have to do is watch

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Achainsaw. Show Achainsaw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : None of those guys have gotten anything done in the clutch in a few seasons. None of them can play football anymore. Their "clutch" was simply athleticism and discipline. Period. Each one of those players could be counted on to be where they were supposed to be, and to be fit enough to make the play when they had to. So far, just three games in, I am seeing that from this crew. No brainless Ellis Hobbs style mistakes. No sloppy Asante Samuel non-tackling, where if he isn't picking it, he is waiting for a safety to bail him out. Just guys doing their jobs. I like it. If they keep doing their jobs people will start calling them 'clutch' too, because Ne will make some serious noise in the playoffs.

zbellino, you've got it all pegged. Bodden is a real corner. Asante is a self promoter. And anyone who compares him to Ty Law is an idiot. By midseason this group on the defensive side of the ball is going to be consistently very effective. Youth, speed and aggressiveness.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Z, I'm just tired of the weekly overreacting.  We lose a game and Bill Simmons is writing about the end of an era.  We win a game and you're writing about the best defense since 2003/04.  Of course the D is great.  We've had a great D all decade and will have another great one this year.  But if they have a bad game some week and give up 30, everyone will be calling for their heads.  Enough of the roller coaster reactions, let's just be content with what we got. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE]I hate the term playmaker. It is essentially meaningless outside of fingering one player with flashy statistics. A playmaker is a guy who makes the plays you need him to make. This defense has eleven playmakers. The cover well, and don't get gashed by the run at the same time. That is a championship 'D,' if they can keep it up. Where were the 'playmaker' on the 2001-2003-2004 defenses? They had no stars, and it irked the media, because they didn't know how to build them up. I will take this defense over any number of defenses with accomplished sack artists. Dallas, San Diego? They have 'playmakers' but they don't make the plays they need to win. I will take this defense over any number of defenses with the ace 'shutdown' corner, like Oakland or Carolina. The only stat I care about is how many points they surrender, and how many long drives they allow as a unit. They are excellent there, so give them credit.

I agree, our D will be top notch once Mayo returns, it's a bottom line business and the bottom line is our D gave up 10 points today. Pryor and Brace made it easy for BB to shop Seymour. We replaced old and slow with fast and young. I still think Seau will be back for the playoffs too for those of you needing an old slow leader. Gotta give credit to the O's time of possession too, that helps the D big time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Wilhite didn't play because he injured himself in the morning before the game.  Whoever said Wilhite s*cks, he's better than both Butler and Wheatley at this point, so no, he does not s*ck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons....:
    [QUOTE] . . . a dominant 30% on 3rd down. Allowing a paltry 14 pts a game. Allowing around 260 yards a game, and not once allowing 300 yards a game. And the revamped secondary has made complete no shows of T.O., Lee Evans and now Tony Gonzalez. There is a long, long way to go, but there is also a *lot* to like about the speed and ability of this young defense. I can't wait until they get their assignements down, and NE can start throwing some exotic fronts out there. 

Good diagnosis.

Consider the points we've given up: 17, 16, then 10.

All without Mayo, and today without Wilfork for a half. That is scary.

Also for those complaining about vanilla D, we did pull a few more new looks today. Expect that to increase as we continue to find rhythm.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]Z, I'm just tired of the weekly overreacting.  We lose a game and Bill Simmons is writing about the end of an era.  We win a game and you're writing about the best defense since 2003/04.  Of course the D is great.  We've had a great D all decade and will have another great one this year.  But if they have a bad game some week and give up 30, everyone will be calling for their heads.  Enough of the roller coaster reactions, let's just be content with what we got. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

It's not an overreaction on the defense. The Falcons offense is better than the Bills and Jets, and we shut them down after that 4th and 1 on our 25.

There are trends you see that indicate whether a defense is for real, and the indicators are all there.

There's a lot more to it than just looking at the box score.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : BB finally realized that Wilhite $ucks.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

Wheatley didn't start, Bodden did (along with Springs).

Pray, how does Wilhite $uck? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

How the hell did the bears release McGowan and not get anything in return?

This guy is a stud he plays in the box in the nickle and he is looking much better than sandeers has this year...

I feel the patriots have the best secondary in football accross the board becasue they do not have one guy that the other QB can pick on...

Think about when bodden Meriwheather sanders, springs and wilhite are on the field they are all viable starters with strengths and limited weaknesses... That is becasue Bill does not put them in a position where another team can exploit there weaknesses..., whatever they may be?

With Guyton playing the way he is right not we could easily have the best MLB tandum in the NFL when Mayo comes back... Thomas is OK in my opinion so the weakness is the left side

The look 3:4 they gave at the beginning of the game was not bad

Warren Wilfork Wright
    Burgess, Thomas, Guyton, Banta Cain
    Springs McGowan, Meriwheather, Bodden

I think there best positions as far as talent goes is D Line and Safety which is why we are seeing a lot of nickle and less of this 3:4 Def of the past

Somebody said Brace earlier in this post....... i did not see him all game????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : It's not an overreaction on the defense. The Falcons offense is better than the Bills and Jets, and we shut them down after that 4th and 1 on our 25. There are trends you see that indicate whether a defense is for real, and the indicators are all there. There's a lot more to it than just looking at the box score.
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

Psycho and Z need to have a debate to see who is the better football guy.  I'll get it started ... is a 5 point stance over A gap in a 3 technique better suited against a single wing elephant?  Or a 4 point stance?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : Psycho and Z need to have a debate to see who is the better football guy.  I'll get it started ... is a 5 point stance over A gap in a 3 technique better suited against a single wing elephant?  Or a 4 point stance?

You're joking right? None of what you are saying makes sense. 

And with all due respects, there are quite a few posters here that know as much as I do, if not more, about football. They just don't talk as much as I do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This defense looks like the best Pats "D" in a few seasons.... : Psycho and Z need to have a debate to see who is the better football guy.  I'll get it started ... is a 5 point stance over A gap in a 3 technique better suited against a single wing elephant?  Or a 4 point stance?

No lo contendre. Patpsycho, all the way. He is a credit to the forum.

Single wing elephant made me laugh, BTW.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-PATRIOT. Show CT-PATRIOT's posts

[QUOTE]we'll see how it looks in crunch time with two minutes left in the game and if they can hold a lead. to their credit, they did look pretty good today
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]
    I believe your describing week 1 against the Bills,no?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

they are doing good,but i wouldnt say great.in three games they have six sacks,and no int,s.so the pressure,and loss of yards,and turnover dept isnt good,but they are keeping the teams to so many yards in a game are good.17 pts in the first game,and 19 pts the second,and 10 pts the third game.its a good average.now we just need the offense to continue to get more points then what the defense gives.once the high caliber offensive teams come up,will be the best test for our defense buffalo,the jets,and falcons are not much of a test,but i like what im seeing so far.if they can get better at the take away dept,and more pressure on the qb,s.look out!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

[QUOTE]Where were the 'playmaker' on the 2001-2003-2004 defenses?
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

If you don't consider the Tedy Bruschi of those seasons a "Playmaker", I'm not sure what games you watched. He didn't have the flashy stats, but he made plays when it absolutely counted the most. THAT is a playmaker.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]they are doing good,but i wouldnt say great.in three games they have six sacks,and no int,s.so the pressure,and loss of yards,and turnover dept isnt good,but they are keeping the teams to so many yards in a game are good.17 pts in the first game,and 19 pts the second,and 10 pts the third game.its a good average.now we just need the offense to continue to get more points then what the defense gives.once the high caliber offensive teams come up,will be the best test for our defense buffalo,the jets,and falcons are not much of a test,but i like what im seeing so far.if they can get better at the take away dept,and more pressure on the qb,s.look out!
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

That's because the defense is young and still learning the ropes, still learning how to work with the system. Once they have it down to the point where they don't have to think anymore, they'll start accomplishing those kinds of turnovers.

Sections
Shortcuts