This defense STINKS!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from par72. Show par72's posts

Re: This defense STINKS!

The Patriots are for Real.... Real Bad Defense !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

Brutal...just brutal.
    They can't stop a nose bleed.
    Brady had a tough day but I agree...If he's not perfect we will not win.
    This defense is such a huge liability...cant's stop the run, can't stop the pass, can't pressure th QB.  Even below average QB's will feel very  confortable against this D.  Good grief
    I'm no football guru and BB is a football genuis but even I can tell something is not right with this D.  What's frustrating is that BB did nothing to address this in the off season.  They are so passive and soft that no offense is intimiated at all.
    Even below average offenses in the NFL can't wait to play against this D.
    Just Brutal !!!  I'd be happy with just an average D...with this offense the SB could be ours for the taking...but this D has got to be the worst in the league...not even close.  BRUTAL TO WATCH !!!  VERY EMBARRASING !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJshw2Axsqc

Pay attention to what he says at 00:50-1:00 because its all true about the patriots this season. Our defense sucks hands down, Brady put up 21 points at half time to make it 21-0. If we had a defense brady wouldn't have to put up 50 points a game to bail out this shitty defense.

In every interview it's always tom we need the defense to make plays and talk tough not all nice and sh!@

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

In Response to Re: This defense STINKS!:
    In Response to Re: This defense STINKS! : Don't care. 2 Redzone area picks and a pick 6. You can't call it bad luck blah blah blah..Fitzpatricks picks were tipped too. 4 turnovers is why they lost.
    Posted by tompenny

Yeah, Brady only put up 31 points, the bum. 

Unless he puts up the 49 points per week that we need to win, I'm blaming him!

You can't expect our shutdown defense to hold any team to less than 48 points.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

God, and I thought that I was cynical.  Most of you here really need to back away from the ledge.  Was it a bad game?  Can't argue with the outcome.  Did Brady have a bad day?  I think that's fair to say.  Did the defense suck?  No.  This defense did manage to protect the lead for the better part of three quarters.  Is this defense close to being elite?  Absolutely not.  But you know what?  No rational person is thinking that it would be.  The fact is, the defense today provided the offense with plenty of time and opportunities to put this game away.  Honestly, with the elite offense that this team has, that should be more than enough.  Well, not only did the offense not get it done, but it placed additional strain on the defense with those 4 picks.  Sadly, it wasn't the offense's day.  But it is funny.  I mean, how many QBs out there have four interceptions, but still manage to get four touchdowns and throw for over 300 yards?  You know what?  That actually would have been enough to win.  Afterall, the defense allowed 27 points.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

First off, we don't know right now how good BUF is.  Kodus to them.  They won it as much as we lost it.  Seems to me they just beat OAK, who beat the NYJ just a couple hours ago.
    Their defensive line played well, tipping what, 3 balls.  Okay, that INT intended for Gronk was a bad throw.
    And yes, we did not have Hernandez, Chung, and Haynesworth. 
    Still, the fact that we are playing a lot of man-on-man on the outside (and losing too much) AND still not getting good pressure on the QB.....I'm sobered by that.  For sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

how can this be? isn't bb supposed to be the yoda of defense? the defensive problems have been chronic since 2007. he either sucks at choosing players for his scheme. or his schemes just plain stink. either way, this falls squarely on his shoulders. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No-Mercy-Defence. Show No-Mercy-Defence's posts

hes not aggresive on his defensive playcalling, he doesnt let guys loose to make plays he plays that same bend but dont break shitty defense. He needs to completely shift to 4-3 and let guys loose to really kill the QB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"efense is not good but Brady is why they lost today. "

Wrong. Wrong. 31 points is and HAS TO BE enough to win against middle tier teams if you want to get to the playoffs. If you're saying that the offense is going to have to score 38 points a game to win, that's too much to ask week in week out, and simply the pressure to put up those kinds of points is going to cause turnovers through forcing balls, etc. 

Brady didn't have his best game by any means (though Ocho playing better on a couple of plays would have made Brady look better too), but that's the point. He won't play great every week. Brady's problems are fixable (play better), the defense's problems are much more daunting. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: This defense STINKS! : Defense is not good but Brady is why they lost today. 
    Posted by tompenny

Do you think he deserves the blame when the line took 2 awful penalties and the D was a sieve? Maybe you mean he shares the blame.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

hes not aggresive on his defensive playcalling, he doesnt let guys loose to make plays he plays that same bend but dont break shitty defense. He needs to completely shift to 4-3 and let guys loose to really kill the QB.
    Posted by No-Mercy-Defence

i am with you on bend don't break...and i was not before today. call me slow, but i just realized today why this bend but don't break thing is all bs. if that's how you want to defend, then you might as well have the opposing team start on the nwe 30 yard line everytime - i.e., short field vs long field does not matter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RTSully6931. Show RTSully6931's posts

The defense is the biggest problem with this team.  No question. But not the only one.   On D, they don't get consistent pressure on the quarterback.  Their DB's let guys get behind them way too often.    They do not as a team tackle very well.   Offensively, either Bill O'Brien has no confidence that they can consistently run the ball, or he and Tommy have become so enamored of the huge stats they've been putting up that they feel they don't need to run.  All of it lies at the feet of BB though.  He picked these people.  He is in charge.   

Today's game was a classic case where the Pats should have started managing the game when they were up 21-0.  But they either wanted to pile up more stats or had no confidence at all that the defense could stop Buffalo so they kept throwing the ball.  And once the Bills got a couple of scores in the 2nd quarter they realized they had little to fear from the Pats D.   They knew they could keep scoring, and so did the Pats.  So the arial show continued.    And no matter how good Brady is the odds favor him throwing some picks when he puts the ball up 45 times a game. 

Chad Ochocinco does not belong on this team.  He is not running disciplined routes, which caused the 2nd interception.  He does not often get separation, which means he can be effectively covered man to man.  And he does not have great hands.  Had he caught that pass in the enzone the Pats would have had more time on the clock at the end of the game, if I remember correctly.  It took them 2-3 more minutes to score on that drive.  That was critical.   The Bills took a page out of BB's book today and took Branch totally out of the game.  That meant Ocho had to help win the game.  He not only didn't help, he actively hurt.  

Finally, Michael (dog murderer) Vick complained today that the refs let him get hit more often than other quarterbacks.   I have seen Tom Brady hit in the knee twice in the past couple of weeks by guys diving at him,  with no flag.  I thought that was supposed to be a penalty, the supposed Brady Rule.   I guess it doesn't apply to him.   And though the Pats don't get to the quarterback much, I have seen them flagged at least twice in critical situations for hitting the quarterback in the chest with a shoulder when he was still in his throwing motion.   Makes me wonder if the refs sometimes give other teams more of the benefit of the doubt on plays like that because the Patriots win so often.

Bottom line, I think the Pats will continue to score a lot of points, but unless they find some balance, and some better back end D they will go nowhere in the playoffs.  If they make it there.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Our drafting on Defense has been horrible lately.  We selected two defensive players out of the 9 picks we made in 2011, Dowling in the 2nd and Markell Carter in the 6th.  Dowling was injury prone at Virginia and still is.  He could become a good player if he can stay healthy.  Carter didn't make the team.

1st - McCourty - Great rookie year, struggling a bit now
    2nd - Cunningham - has done nothing when healthy
    2nd - Spikes - Doing okay against the run, nothing special
    7th - Deaderick - on PUP
    7th - Weston - Cut

2nd - Chung - looks good
    2nd - Brace - Bust, always hurt
    2nd - Butler - Bust, CUT
    3rd - McKenzie - CUT
    6th - Pryor - showing promise, PUP rest of the year
    7th - Richard - CUT

1st - Mayo STUD
    2nd - Wheatley BUST, CUT
    3rd - Crable - BUST, CUT
    4th - Wilhite - CUT
    6th - Ruud - CUT

nobody left from either side of the ball.
    1st - Meriweather, decent player, didn't fit, CUT
    4th - Brown - CUT
    6th - Rogers - CUT
    6th - Richardson - CUT
    7th - Lua - CUT

So, in the past 5 drafts the Pats have selected 23 defensive players.  Only 9 are still on the team and 3 of them are on the PUP list and 2 more didn't dress today due to injury.  Only McCourty, Spikes, Chung and Mayo are making an impact at the moment.  That's only 4 impactful defensive players contributing now out of 23 drafted over the past 5 years. 

There are also no defensive players left from the 2005 or 2006 draft either, only Goskowski remains on the team from those two classes.

We've got to do better than that.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Our drafting on Defense has been horrible lately.  We selected two defensive players out of the 9 picks we made in 2011, Dowling in the 2nd and Markell Carter in the 6th.  Dowling was injury prone at Virginia and still is.  He could become a good player if he can stay healthy.  Carter didn't make the team. 2010 1st - McCourty - Great rookie year, struggling a bit now 2nd - Cunningham - has done nothing when healthy 2nd - Spikes - Doing okay against the run, nothing special 7th - Deaderick - on PUP 7th - Weston - Cut 2009 2nd - Chung  - looks good 2nd - Brace - Bust, always hurt 2nd - Butler - Bust, CUT 3rd - McKenzie - CUT 6th - Pryor - showing promise, PUP rest of the year 7th - Richard - CUT 2008 1st - Mayo STUD 2nd - Wheatley BUST, CUT 3rd - Crable - BUST, CUT 4th - Wilhite - CUT 6th - Ruud - CUT 2007 nobody left from either side of the ball. 1st - Meriweather, decent player, didn't fit, CUT 4th - Brown - CUT 6th - Rogers - CUT 6th - Richardson - CUT 7th - Lua - CUT So, in the past 5 drafts the Pats have selected 23 defensive players.  Only 9 are still on the team and 3 of them are on the PUP list and 2 more didn't dress today due to injury.  Only McCourty, Spikes, Chung and Mayo are making an impact at the moment.  That's only 4 impactful defensive players contributing now out of 23 drafted over the past 5 years.  There are also no defensive players left from the 2005 or 2006 draft either, only Goskowski remains on the team from those two classes. We've got to do better than that.
    Posted by Faucetman

sometimes the simplest solution is the best. bb's chooses an overcomplicated defensive philosophy for which nobody not even him knows how to find the parts (in many ways he was lucky to get the parts he had back in early 2000s). i am with him of always finding ways to get a second first round pick. but he needs to start taking the simpler approach of picking someone who obviously seems the most talented at the pick instead of endless trade downs. the risk does not seem to be worse.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: This defense STINKS! : Defense is not good but Brady is why they lost today. 
    Posted by tompenny

true...but doesn't it worry you that brady's performance today is the reason they postpone fixing the defense?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

This D is actually painful to watch it is so inept. It hurts my eyes.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: This defense STINKS! : Did you watch any other team's D this year? The HOF'er Curtis Paynter shredded the vaunted Steel Curtain tonight.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

You think a 62 passer rating is shredding somebody?

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: This defense STINKS! : Did he not lead the Ponies on an 80 yard TD drive? Rating schmating.

He was 5 for 11 for 45 yards and no TD. You're the one who calls that a shredding.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: This defense STINKS! : And you're the one acting like the Pats are the only team not playing defense. Defensive powerhouse Houston had what 40 put up on them?

I wasn't acting like anything. I didn't refer to how anybody was playing defense other than us.  Are you saying that if other team's D are playing like crap it's ok that ours is?

Sections
Shortcuts