This defense STINKS!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: This defense STINKS!

Those other teams with bad defenses are not being coached by a defensive "genius" though.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Anyone still think BB is a defensive genius? Don't get me wrong. I love the guy. But this all offense/no defense thing with the Pats was old years ago . . . now it's pathetic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: This defense STINKS!:
    Anyone still think BB is a defensive genius? Don't get me wrong. I love the guy. But this all offense/no defense thing with the Pats was old years ago . . . now it's pathetic.
    Posted by tjwoods

I don't think BB is a genius. I think he is an exceptional coach but his GM just hasn't given him the players to put a major league D on the field.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

BB need better assistants. Bring back Crennel and fat man, what's his name.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I don't think any football coach is a genius but I think Belichek is a great coach who thinks rushing the quarterback is less important than I do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

They started out good, but once the Bills figured them out they could not stop them. I think this week the whole coaching staff has to start making some major adjustments on D.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Bottom line when the D has to make a stop they do not. when the score was 31-31 and they failed. Then on one of 4 TB picks they went on a 6 play 96 yard drive that tied game at 24-24 this D is BAD.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Actually,, even though Brady is typically a great quarterback, He is a big part of the reason why they lost. Granted the ball took a bad bounce,on Brady's last int  to put the Bills ahead. Not the D, the offense was on the field. Also BB stunk it up pretty good himself with the bonehead time out.
    In Response to Re: This defense STINKS! : Umm, Brady led them to 31 points.  He is NOT why they lost. They lost because of the phantom PI.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

Actually,, even though Brady is typically a great quarterback, He is a big part of the reason why they lost. Granted the ball took a bad bounce,on Brady's last int  to put the Bills ahead. Not the D, the offense was on the field. Also BB stunk it up pretty good himself with the bonehead time out. In Response to Re: This defense STINKS! :
    Posted by viewer222

That was not a bonehead timehout. The play ended on the 1 yard line inbounds. After the review, the play clock was going to start running at 25 seconds and the Bills would run the play clock down. It is really amazing on how many so called experts were not able to figure this out. So the time out was actually necessary.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATFN83. Show PATFN83's posts

I think McCourty and Bodden went to the Duane Starks football camp to hone their skills during the lockout! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Look, I'm not going to make excuses for the final FG drive, because the D was bad on that series.

But surely you men realize that without the COMPLETELY BOGUS pass interference call on Brown in the end zone, it's a 24-17 game with less than 10 minutes left, right? And it's also the D's third forced turnover of the game if that play stands, as it should have.

That call was a 14-point swing because on the Pats' next snap after the TD Brady threw a pick-six.

Another Brady pick also set up Buffalo at about the NE 35 or 40 in the third quarter---short field.

I know that screeching from the rooftops about how the defense sucks and how Belichick is a worse GM than Matt Millen plays well on these boards, but an objective look at yesterday's game shows that a very undermanned defense (due to injuries) held the highest-scoring offense in the NFL to 17 points (7 of them coming on a short field) through 50 minutes of play. Then, one horrid P.I. call (the worst rule in all of professional sports, bar none) swung the game 180 degrees.

Do I wish they could generate heat on the QB with just a 4-man rush? Yes, I do.

Maybe they will, eventually, once Haynesworth is in shape and completely healthy. Right now they seem content to sit back and play coverage--the problem is that their Pro Bowl corner is having a bad second season so far (have no idea what's up with that) and their top safety is injured, and their good looking rookie CB is also injured.

But really, take an objective look at yesterday's game, and put aside the hysteria and the anti-BB agendas (not saying that he doesn't deserve some criticism, but the hysteria and the constant drumbeat of negativity about the guy is unwarranted).

What you'll find if you take an objective look is that the defense held Buffalo to 17 points through more than 50 minutes, and then one idiotic official pulled the rug out from under them by incorrectly applying the worst rule in all of professional sports. The game took a 180-degree turn after that call.

What's more frustrating about it is that the Pats did everything right on that play. Everything. 

They rushed Fitzpatrick, forced a bad throw, had the WR double covered, and Brown even threw up his hands to show the ref that he wasn't interfering. But it didn't matter. This is the NFL in 2011, and if the WR deliberately runs into the DB to "sell" a call, the flag comes out 90 times out of 100, because the NFL wants points and yards being put up at will.

The league has become a complete joke under Herr Goodell and Napoleon Polian.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

Hardright, spot on with the PI call. That was a very bad call by the zebras. It almost makes me not want to watch the game anymore. It was obvious the WR created the contact.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

OK guys come down off the ledges! Someone needs to just tell DMac that he has to make a choice either play off his receiver more or actually jam his receiver at the line. Losing both Pryor and Haynesworth to go with the already lost Mike Wright doesn't help the D-line in either ground game or rushing the passer situations! I don't drink koolaide as I'm a diabetic,but I'll ask you all this question how many times do you think Tom Brady is going to be intercepted 4 times in a game? 3 of which are going to bounce off helmets, or a receivers hand and the defender willdo everything possible to catch it ? How many of you actually know the rules of the NFL because I'm confused! The game tying TD for Buffalo came as a result of 3 consecutive penalties all of which by my limited knowledge, were all contrived by the refs in an inspirational moment of being Bills fans,first came the roughing the passer call in Buffalo's endzone on a third and 8,Love tackles Fitzpatrick cleanly and does not slam him to the ground there was not helmet to helmet contact and he didn't dive for the knees, oh and the QB hadn't realeased the ball until Love gets there! The second penalty really didn't count but was just as bogus as the first as Bodden was clearly beaten down the sideline by Jones,but the refs weren't taking any chances and they threw a flag anyways even though Bodden was like 10 yards away from the receiver when he caught the ball and finally the coup de gras! PI in the endzone with a late flag, after the Patriots intercept the ball. OK I'm just a fan and I don't referee games but from all the rules I have ever heard talked about that was an impossible call,first of all the ball was tipped coming out of Fitzpatrick's hand secondly the pass was intercepted before any contact was made in the endzone and thirdly the Buffalo receiver dove into the defender how on god's green earth was there a PI??????????????????????????????I think Guido was right don't play the Patriots this week.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

This shouldnt have taken this long to find out.

I am just upset because we had the resources to get better on "D", but made questionable cuts to guys like Sanders for 2mill. and Page and let meriwearther go w/ a decent contract,

You have guys like Price and Ocho taking up spots on an offense that is # 1 w/out them....yet we are hurting on defense and that money for Ocho could have got a player and that 3rd rd pick for Price could have drafted a defender....smh

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

I think you have to be reasonable. There are new players on the team. The defense needs time to gel. Nevermind all the injuries we have already. I will be worried if we get to 2-2 or 2-3.
    Posted by Bergzilla

Time to gel!!?? PLEASE! We're talking about the same issues now for 3 seasons. BB feels he has all the answers based on a philosophy that hasn't worked in years. The time has come to bring in top tier talent via the draft and FA.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

They started out good, but once the Bills figured them out they could not stop them. I think this week the whole coaching staff has to start making some major adjustments on D.
    Posted by Wizardsjag

Exactly...when you go up 21-0 and then the teams stops you 3 times in a row, its time to switch up. I know they tried to run a bit, but not often enough for being up big. We have capable backs now,so no excuse. Brady wants to be on t.v. throwing the rock around, but we needed a clock killing mentality yesterday and still kept throwing after going up big.

I wonder if Russ still thinks that McCourty is Better than Revis based on their rookie years,......lmao!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

You know there were 2 95+yards drives in this game. To me the one that hurt really bad was the one after the Woodhead int. 21-0, but right after that, they went down fast, very fast and scored, a TD. Still had enough time for FG before half.
    Posted by bobbysu

On one of the 95-yard drives Buffalo had 46 of the 95 yards on penalties--and both calls were incorrect.

I'm not saying this is a good defense: it isn't.

But they really didn't play all that poorly yesterday, especially compared with other "top" defenses in the league (the vaunted Jets' defense has now been pushed around in two of their three games).

When your QB gives the opposition 14 points, and the officials give them another 7, it's hard to keep the other team from beating you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

OK guys come down off the ledges! Someone needs to just tell DMac that he has to make a choice either play off his receiver more or actually jam his receiver at the line. Losing both Pryor and Haynesworth to go with the already lost Mike Wright doesn't help the D-line in either ground game or rushing the passer situations! I don't drink koolaide as I'm a diabetic,but I'll ask you all this question how many times do you think Tom Brady is going to be intercepted 4 times in a game? 3 of which are going to bounce off helmets, or a receivers hand and the defender willdo everything possible to catch it ? How many of you actually know the rules of the NFL because I'm confused! The game tying TD for Buffalo came as a result of 3 consecutive penalties all of which by my limited knowledge, were all contrived by the refs in an inspirational moment of being Bills fans,first came the roughing the passer call in Buffalo's endzone on a third and 8,Love tackles Fitzpatrick cleanly and does not slam him to the ground there was not helmet to helmet contact and he didn't dive for the knees, oh and the QB hadn't realeased the ball until Love gets there! The second penalty really didn't count but was just as bogus as the first as Bodden was clearly beaten down the sideline by Jones,but the refs weren't taking any chances and they threw a flag anyways even though Bodden was like 10 yards away from the receiver when he caught the ball and finally the coup de gras! PI in the endzone with a late flag, after the Patriots intercept the ball. OK I'm just a fan and I don't referee games but from all the rules I have ever heard talked about that was an impossible call,first of all the ball was tipped coming out of Fitzpatrick's hand secondly the pass was intercepted before any contact was made in the endzone and thirdly the Buffalo receiver dove into the defender how on god's green earth was there a PI??????????????????????????????I think Guido was right don't play the Patriots this week.....
    Posted by sportsbozo1

The five worst P.I. calls against the Patriots in their recent history:

1--Asante Samuel in the end zone at Denver in the 2005 AFC divisional game.

2--Ellis Hobbs "faceguarding" call in the end zone at Indy in the 2006 AFC title game (later "apologized for" by the NFL).

3--Darius Butler being tackled by the Colts' receiver and yet being flagged for a 40+ yard penalty in the "4th and 2 game" in 2009, a call which saved the Colts a precious 2 or 3 minutes of time on the clock as they were making their comeback.

4--Asante Samuel being called for interfering with Reggie Wayne in the 2007 regular season game at Indy, even though he never once made contact with him.

5--Yesterday's call against Sergio Brown. Horrid, horrid call, causing a 14-point swing and completely changing the complexion of the game.

Yup, that call yesterday was so bad it ranks in the top five IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

No argument from me. The defense looks horrible. However, yesterday's loss I think can not only be attributed to them. You can't take the heat off Brady who threw 4 interceptions. not all his fault on the interceptions, but he gets credited with them. this defense can't bail the offense out when it needs to. Like some have said, if TB has a tough day, like yesterday, the defense is just not built to pick up the slack and win games.
    the one bright spot I saw was us blitzing when Buffalo was backed up near their own endzone. Why didn't we see more of that? It takes pressure off the secondary, which was asked to do a lot yesterday while Fitzgerald was basically left untouched all day long. Inexcusable.

and, I agree with Faucet here on BB and drafting. we have absolutely stunk it up in the draft the last 5 years, especially on the D side of the ball. somethign has got to change here.

I've been one that has given the D a pass, saying it needs time to gel. Well, that time better come fast or we can forget any postseason celebrations.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from paesan59. Show paesan59's posts

That last Bills TD drive was all on the Zebras. Was that throw that resulted in PI actually tipped. I dvr'd the game but was so pissed that I deleted it. If that ball was tipped then there can't be a PI call. That TD drive was 100% Zebra driven.
    Yes many people need to step off the ledge. Think about it this way, the Pats played poorly and the Zebras didn't help but in the end they still had a chance to win. To me that says a lot. PI call in the NFL is the most game changing call by far and even worse is the call can be wrong many times. The PI call really needs to be changed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

In Response to Re: This defense STINKS! : Or have three clink off the receiver's hands? Actually, when they do make a play, their is generally a flag to take it away.  Ask Sergio Brown. 
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

One of the more accurate sane responses here.

~D~ is no different than Offense in the respect that it's
    confidnece and momemntum coupled with not playing scared.
    A youngish -green ~D~ as seen in New England the past few years really doesn't need the zebras compounding the problem.

Can only imagine what they would have "called" on a Patrick Chung
    had he been active....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Look, I'm not going to make excuses for the final FG drive, because the D was bad on that series. But surely you men realize that without the COMPLETELY BOGUS pass interference call on Brown in the end zone, it's a 24-17 game with less than 10 minutes left, right? And it's also the D's third forced turnover of the game if that play stands, as it should have. That call was a 14-point swing because on the Pats' next snap after the TD Brady threw a pick-six. Another Brady pick also set up Buffalo at about the NE 35 or 40 in the third quarter---short field. I know that screeching from the rooftops about how the defense sucks and how Belichick is a worse GM than Matt Millen plays well on these boards, but an objective look at yesterday's game shows that a very undermanned defense (due to injuries) held the highest-scoring offense in the NFL to 17 points (7 of them coming on a short field) through 50 minutes of play. Then, one horrid P.I. call (the worst rule in all of professional sports, bar none) swung the game 180 degrees. Do I wish they could generate heat on the QB with just a 4-man rush? Yes, I do. Maybe they will, eventually, once Haynesworth is in shape and completely healthy. Right now they seem content to sit back and play coverage--the problem is that their Pro Bowl corner is having a bad second season so far (have no idea what's up with that) and their top safety is injured, and their good looking rookie CB is also injured. But really, take an objective look at yesterday's game, and put aside the hysteria and the anti-BB agendas (not saying that he doesn't deserve some criticism, but the hysteria and the constant drumbeat of negativity about the guy is unwarranted). What you'll find if you take an objective look is that the defense held Buffalo to 17 points through more than 50 minutes, and then one idiotic official pulled the rug out from under them by incorrectly applying the worst rule in all of professional sports. The game took a 180-degree turn after that call. What's more frustrating about it is that the Pats did everything right on that play. Everything.  They rushed Fitzpatrick, forced a bad throw, had the WR double covered, and Brown even threw up his hands to show the ref that he wasn't interfering. But it didn't matter. This is the NFL in 2011, and if the WR deliberately runs into the DB to "sell" a call, the flag comes out 90 times out of 100, because the NFL wants points and yards being put up at will. The league has become a complete joke under Herr Goodell and Napoleon Polian.
    Posted by hardright

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

When you don't address the pass rush in the draft year after year this is the end result.  Belichick has had more than enough opportunities, and resources at his disposal, to fix this problem. 

Bottom line: Belichick has to take a more aggressive approach in the draft if he wants to add playmakers to this defense.  Draft for talent and NOT play the numbers game moving down and aquiring picks for the future.  Otherwise, he has no one to blame for the state of this defense than himself. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

I hate to say it but this is the worst defense since the 1995 season, when we had Myron Guyton as the SS.  They were horrible.  I can't figure it out.  They maybe able to fix it though as the reason they lost was the turnovers.  The unfortunate break came on that replay that proved Jackson was down at the 1.  one or two plays go our way and we hold on for the W. 

Sections
Shortcuts