This doesn't ease my concerns about Easley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

This doesn't ease my concerns about Easley

Pats just signed this guy Darius Fleming who was drafted by SF a couple years ago. In 2012 at rookie camp he tore his left ACL and the following year he tore the same ACL in training camp.

After Easley was drafted I saw a few posts saying once an ACL is repaired it's stronger than before. This apparently is not always the case and hopefully Easley can stay injury free going forward and give the DL a boost.

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com
    Recommend38
    Tweet25
    Comments9
    Email
    Print
    The Patriots signed defensive end/outside linebacker Darius Fleming on Friday, and with Fleming fitting a different profile than the team's other post-draft signings, let's look a bit deeper into his file:

1. Fleming is listed at 6-foot-1 5/8 and 255 pounds. He appears to have some position flexibility, but at first glance, he likely projects to an end-of-the-line role as a 4-3 defensive end/3-4 outside linebacker in the Patriots' system.

2. He entered the NFL as a fifth-round draft choice of the 49ers in 2012. He tore his left ACL on the first day of 2012 rookie camp, then tore the same ACL in 2013 training camp, according to the San Jose Mercury News. Thus, Fleming hasn't played in a regular-season NFL game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: This doesn't ease my concerns about Easley

Not sure that one player's injury recovery or tendencies equate to another's. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

An ACL does not tear because it is not strong. 

One can tear and ACL, come back after rehab with the knee testing stronger, and again tear the same ACL, even though it tested stronger. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

These are questions for MDs. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The average active NFL player gets injured twice a season. Every player has been injured. Every player will get injured. You should be concerned about every player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

The Kentucky Derby didn't ease my concerns about Easley either. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The Pats know Dr Andrews well.  He performed the surgery and they have the medicals.  Even if he doesn't give him the full scoop their medical staff should be able to discern what shape Easley's knees are in.  

Is everyone concerned with Brady's knee after reading this?  Should the Broncos concerned with Welker's?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The average active NFL player gets injured twice a season. Every player has been injured. Every player will get injured. You should be concerned about every player.

[/QUOTE]

I'm concerned about a high draft pick at a position of need for the Pats. More so when that player suffered two non - contact ligament tears during his college career. 

I've got no worries about the guy signed yesterday with previous severe injuries because he's an UDFA. There's a difference.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Easley wasn't entered in the Derby because he hadn't gotten medical clearance from the Pats' doctors. Sources say look for him in some of the bigger fall races if everything checks out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Easley wasn't entered in the Derby because he hadn't gotten medical clearance from the Pats' doctors. Sources say look for him in some of the bigger fall races if everything checks out.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong! He chose not to run the Derby because it was before the draft and he was afraid a poor performance might affect his draft status. Let's get our facts straight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I'm concerned about a high draft pick at a position of need for the Pats. More so when that player suffered two non - contact ligament tears during his college career. 

I've got no worries about the guy signed yesterday with previous severe injuries because he's an UDFA. There's a difference.

When Easley gets injured, which he will because every NFL player gets injured, you can say you were right. When Tom Brady gets injured, I can say I was right but it won't make me feel any better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

When Easley gets injured, which he will because every NFL player gets injured, you can say you were right. When Tom Brady gets injured, I can say I was right but it won't make me feel any better.

I wouldn't come on this forum and say I was right like some 10 year old kid. If Easley gets another ACL injury, it wouldn't make me feel any better either. I'm not on here to say I was right. I've been wrong on numerous occasions and am damn proud of it.

I hope Easley has an All PRO career with the Pats and can help the DL get consistent pressure on opposing QB's. I've got concerns about his two previous non - contact knee injuries. What's wrong with that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

Pats just signed this guy Darius Fleming who was drafted by SF a couple years ago. In 2012 at rookie camp he tore his left ACL and the following year he tore the same ACL in training camp.

After Easley was drafted I saw a few posts saying once an ACL is repaired it's stronger than before. This apparently is not always the case and hopefully Easley can stay injury free going forward and give the DL a boost.

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com
    Recommend38
    Tweet25
    Comments9
    Email
    Print
    The Patriots signed defensive end/outside linebacker Darius Fleming on Friday, and with Fleming fitting a different profile than the team's other post-draft signings, let's look a bit deeper into his file:

1. Fleming is listed at 6-foot-1 5/8 and 255 pounds. He appears to have some position flexibility, but at first glance, he likely projects to an end-of-the-line role as a 4-3 defensive end/3-4 outside linebacker in the Patriots' system.

2. He entered the NFL as a fifth-round draft choice of the 49ers in 2012. He tore his left ACL on the first day of 2012 rookie camp, then tore the same ACL in 2013 training camp, according to the San Jose Mercury News. Thus, Fleming hasn't played in a regular-season NFL game.

[/QUOTE]

Personally I liked the pick, I think he should help us if healthy, but this is no sure thing even if he is healthy. This guy is SMALL, granted he is strong for his size, but man is he small. I'm hoping he plays right next to Chandler and causes all sorts of problems for the left side of offensive lines around the league. I was hoping they were going to trade up for Donald, but the guy went so high...Belichick spent some time with him at the combine, but then the kid went out and ran a ridiculous 40 and had a great workout. Too me Easley is potentially a great consolation prize...we'll find out.

Also try to keep in mind where you are when you start threads like this...this is Positive Patriot Land..where Belichick could draft a My Little Pony in the second round and the same ten posters would defend the pick until he was cut...then they would say he wasn't a bad player and that we are all spoiled. It's best not to have an opinion, just guzzle the koolaid and try your best to crap out a gigantic pink Patriot helmet every morning. You'll be fine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I wouldn't come on this forum and say I was right like some 10 year old kid. If Easley gets another ACL injury, it wouldn't make me feel any better either. I'm not on here to say I was right. I've been wrong on numerous occasions and am damn proud of it.

I hope Easley has an All PRO career with the Pats and can help the DL get consistent pressure on opposing QB's. I've got concerns about his two previous non - contact knee injuries. What's wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with that. I've had this debate with others and it's all good. I'm not saying it's wrong to have concerns about Easley, I just think he's worth the gamble. I don't know that people can call someone "injury prone" because injuries are so prevalent in the NFL. There are always extremes, some players are never seriously injured and some never see the field. I don't think that anyone can predict who can stay on the field and who can't.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

this thread backfired quickly

lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

Personally I liked the pick, I think he should help us if healthy, but this is no sure thing even if he is healthy. This guy is SMALL, granted he is strong for his size, but man is he small. I'm hoping he plays right next to Chandler and causes all sorts of problems for the left side of offensive lines around the league.Also try to keep in mind where you are when you start threads like this...this is Positive Patriot Land..

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pep talk. I haven't seen a comment yet about Easley that doesn't include those two words. The pick surprised me more because it deviates from the usual type of D linemen they draft. They tend to go for the taller guys with the longer arms or the 300 lb. plus linemen that are required to play a 2 gap style (Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Chandler Jones). Maybe the Pats are changing their thinking about the DL in going for a smaller, explosive type player in Easley or he was simply too good to pass on at that point. I'm also hoping he causes all sorts of disruption and can pressure the QB.

I inserted the piece about Fleming because I had seen a lot of posters saying that once an ACL is repaired it's stronger than before so it kinda surprised me that a player could tear the same ligament the following year.

It'll be an interesting camp and preseason and I'm hoping Easley and others can make a positive impact. Note to all: having concerns doesn't mean a poster is rooting for a player to fail.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this thread backfired quickly

lol 

[/QUOTE]

And you're here to help? Now that's a LOL! Got yard work to do. See ya.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Belichick should know who will get injured...., and not sign those players.

[object HTMLDivElement]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

It is easy to become uneasy about Easley, but let me ease your mind, because Bill will ease him into the lineup, , and by the middle of year two he will easily be our best D lineman, and thje Pats will be on Easy Street in regard to his selection.  Easy as 1,2,3, or as they say easy peazy. . Take er easy guys.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Everyone comes back from ACLs now...

You're no more susceptible to an ACL injury if you already had one than if you haven't.

They are freak injuries that can happen from non-contact movements.

Gotta love the people that always try and find a negative.

IF this kid is healthy, he's a kind of DT that we've never really had. Smaller but more explosive and penetrates to cause disruption.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement]

All players are given a medical grade before the draft.  (Actually 2)

1 for over-all health which takes into consideration things like diabetes,  sickle cell, ect.

The other is an orthopedic grade that takes into consideration things like loose joints, ligament tears and concussions.

They are graded 1-5 or A-F.

ALL teams have consults with DR's prior to the draft and have access to their grades.

ALL teams use these grades to determine how safe it is to draft these players.

Players with no serious injuries or health issues grade higher and therefore have a better overall odds to contribute, longer.

Players who don't grade well, generally drop in the draft because you now have to weigh the LIKELY-HOOD of injury against talent against the safety of the pick.

This is not an exact science but a barometer.

There are many variables but one that stands out is how long you expect the player to contribute.  Drafting a low round player with the expectancy of only staying around a couple of years is not as risky as taking a player high, who you  want to have an impact for many years.

IMO, BB takes way to many risks on these high pick, low grade players and they blow up in his face.

While you can expect any player to get injured at any time, why pick a guy with one foot in the grave to start?

His talent is of no use to the team, if he can't play and you are forced to use lesser talent in his place.

It's not a coincidence that the Pats are always at the top of the most injured teams in the league and go limping into the play-offs, year after year, and ultimately lose as a result.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of hearing year after year that we would have won if so and so and so and so, were healthy when their medical grades predicted with reasonable certainty, that they wouldn't be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Well, you could argue he should know which players are injured and not sign those . . . I think that's more the OP's point.  

That said, I like the Easley pick . . . but do understand the concern given our past ill fortune with guys signed with known injury histories.  If Easley does turn out to be another Ras-I Dowling I will unabashedly say Belichick needs to change his approach because that might be one high-round injury bust too many. Even Gronk, for all his prodigious talent, has been injured far too often to be a truly reliable centrepiece to our offense. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Everyone comes back from ACLs now...

You're no more susceptible to an ACL injury if you already had one than if you haven't.

They are freak injuries that can happen from non-contact movements.

Gotta love the people that always try and find a negative.

IF this kid is healthy, he's a kind of DT that we've never really had. Smaller but more explosive and penetrates to cause disruption.  

[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to find a negative with Easley. His knee injuries are facts and they're on every scouting report I've seen on the guy. Past injuries and their severity are as much a part of a scout's grade as height, weight, 40 time and off field behavior. It's why guys drop in the draft and why everyone has to use the "If healthy" description when talking about him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB has a history of taking calculated medical risks with players like Marcus Cannon.  Gronk had a bad back.

Easley had his first ACL surgery and he got better, so the first ACL isn't much of an issue now.  Then Easley had his second ACL surgery many months ago and he's getting better on schedule.  Most of the botched surgery problems happen in the first few weeks.  The main question is always, as of this late date what's the chance of a medical messup?  Also, is Easley injury prone in the future?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Personally I liked the pick, I think he should help us if healthy, but this is no sure thing even if he is healthy. This guy is SMALL, granted he is strong for his size, but man is he small. I'm hoping he plays right next to Chandler and causes all sorts of problems for the left side of offensive lines around the league.Also try to keep in mind where you are when you start threads like this...this is Positive Patriot Land..

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pep talk. I haven't seen a comment yet about Easley that doesn't include those two words. The pick surprised me more because it deviates from the usual type of D linemen they draft. They tend to go for the taller guys with the longer arms or the 300 lb. plus linemen that are required to play a 2 gap style (Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Chandler Jones). Maybe the Pats are changing their thinking about the DL in going for a smaller, explosive type player in Easley or he was simply too good to pass on at that point. I'm also hoping he causes all sorts of disruption and can pressure the QB.

I inserted the piece about Fleming because I had seen a lot of posters saying that once an ACL is repaired it's stronger than before so it kinda surprised me that a player could tear the same ligament the following year.

It'll be an interesting camp and preseason and I'm hoping Easley and others can make a positive impact. Note to all: having concerns doesn't mean a poster is rooting for a player to fail.

[/QUOTE]

I think when they drafted Chandler Jones it was a sign they were transitioning away from that traditional 34 front, he is a guy who is a 43 end...not saying he doesn't have "positional flexibility", but he was a 43 end and he has been used as such here. They also drafted Bequette as a 43 end...put Nink on the end full time...drafted another 43 end this year and have let some of those big bodied 2 gap guys go. Easley clearly is not a 34 guy.

I think part of the reason we made the switch is that those 34 guys just weren't there on draft day for us to pick...everyone started switching to the 34 and then started drafting those guys...plus we started losing key ingredients to our 34 . Add in the fact that it's hard to find those 6'5" outside guys who can play in space, rush and stop the run...they just aren't there. I'm sure you can find guys with those dimensions who can run, but learning this defense and playing in space are things that take too much time to develop. It looks like we have 43 guys now, with linebackers who are big and versatile, but  not exactly traditional 34 outside types. I think the exception is Jaime Collins - I think that guy could play in any defense and they will be using that guy all over the place this year.