This doesn't make any sense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Re: This doesn't make any sense

42 Years and counting. Do your parents still read you that bedtime story of how Joe Namath and the Jets won the title?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

hahaha phatrex you obviously know nothing about politics! Polls can be manipulated to say anything you want them to say! I will answer your question about this though; Pats-7 starters out of 51 picks, only holding onto 23 of those players while the Jets and the floundering Mike T, got 9 starters out of 27 picks holding onto 17  Lets break it down; Jesters were 11-5 this year (2010 season) but since we havent had the draft yet we are obviously talking about draft years 2005-2009. During that time frame the Jesters and Pats records were;
              JETS       PATS
    2005; 4-12          10-6   
    2006; 10-6        12-4
    2007; 4-12        16-0
    2008; 9-7          11-5
    2009; 9-7             10-6
    Total; 36-44        59-21

So I think the answer is pretty obvious! It is a heck of alot easier to make the roster, and even be a starter, for a sub .500 team, than it is to make the roster of a perennial Super bowl Contender!!! Heck the Pats had some 3rd stringers that could probably have started for the Jesters during those years!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to This doesn't make any sense:
    How can the best drafting guru of all time only get 7 starters out of 51 picks, only holding onto 23 of those players while the Jets and the floundering Mike T, got 9 starters out of 27 picks holding onto 17.  It is all so confusing when the facts seem to deny the general belief in patsieland.  http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936
    Posted by PhatRex

Interesting post and a good read.  Couple of points.  The 5 year sample does include a few bad drafts from the pats.  The last few years thou have been good and if they hit a home run in 2011 they will be at the top of that list.

Also when looking at a team the draft is very important, but so are free agent signings and then coaching up the players to get the most out of them.

The last point is a serious flaw in the ranking.  The ranking is partially based on "players still on the team".  As we have all seen the Pats draft great/good players -- Samual, Law, Milloy, et al.... you know the list.  They choose not to resign them because of the money.  That doesn't mean they had bad picks, it means they made a business decision to let that player go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

How can the best drafting guru of all time only get 7 starters out of 51 picks, only holding onto 23 of those players while the Jets and the floundering Mike T, got 9 starters out of 27 picks holding onto 17.  It is all so confusing when the facts seem to deny the general belief in patsieland.  http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936
    Posted by PhatRex

You got to remember that as far as holding on to players go, that is a way in which Bill rebuilds the team via trading players while they still have some value. Has he missed some picks, absolutely, but he knows the draft and has been able to keep the Patriots a contender each year by doing what he does. Kinda hard to knock that in my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense:
    hahaha phatrex you obviously know nothing about politics! Polls can be manipulated to say anything you want them to say! I will answer your question a
    Posted by Quagmire3
    oh my quaggy, you must have plagiarized your response. it actually makes some sense. its not so bad. ill about spewing venom in response to a negative context but clearly it is not as negative and PERSONAL as most of your usual jibberish. you must be learning or improving. how many of these threads can anyone start in the off-season? there are like 40 of these already. my job is to give this board some flavor at times when it needs it. or would you prefer me to start the 400th "is belichick the greatest ever" or is tim brady the greatest everand why anyone who disagrees must be a troll?" for those who do not appreciate my flavorings, they are free to leap over them and express themselves right here. kind of like how democracy works...

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : oh my quaggy, you must have plagiarized your response. it actually makes some sense. its not so bad. ill about spewing venom in response to a negative context but clearly it is not as negative and PERSONAL as most of your usual jibberish. you must be learning or improving. how many of these threads can anyone start in the off-season? there are like 40 of these already. my job is to give this board some flavor at times when it needs it. or would you prefer me to start the 400th "is belichick the greatest ever" or is tim brady the greatest everand why anyone who disagrees must be a troll?" for those who do not appreciate my flavorings, they are free to leap over them and express themselves right here. kind of like how democracy works...
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

OK Communist I will accept this for what it is....a compliment and an extension of the olive branch. The thread on you being annoying will be removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : Let's not confuse a lucky pick with a skilled pick.  Are you suggesting that BB knew that TB was that good and decided that it would be a good idea to wait until the 6th round and first taking gems like Adrian Klemm, JR Redmond, Greg Robinson-Randall, Dave Stachelski, Jeff Marriott, and Antwan Harris?  Just out of curiosity, any of those guys still in the NFL? This has nothing to do with my sleeping patterns.  Just the facts, ma'am.
    Posted by PhatRex

Let's not confuse your being a hack with being an expert, on anything.  You and some other people on this board could start a fight in an empty house and all of your posts here are dedicated to that proposition. 

Every team makes choices that go bust and the down through the years, the YETS under many coaches have made those choices and of course some good choices as well.  So have the PATS.  So have the Giants.  So have the Packers.  So have the Steelers and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.  So what?

What's different between the YETS and the PATS, (and you know this and eats at you), is that since 1985, the PATS have been to the big show six times and are 500 for those trips.  The YETS zero times.  It is the ability to get there multiple times that counts.  Ask the Chargers, or the Bengals or the Falcons or the Ravens, teams that have been at least once and not again.  The YETS?  Well....  Let me know if you have any questions.  I like to work at the macro level, rather than down in all this silly detail.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Was this moron even born yet the last time the Jets won a Super Bowl? 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Posted by PhatRex

Cost / Benefit - /> the Jets also picked higher in the first round and paid more money per player, meaning a higher standard deviation.  So their busts (Vernon Gholston, that backup QB that never came around, that defensive tackle Robertson) are more magnified, too.

Besides, Belichick's enjoyed a decade of success, and to get a hard-on over a five-year study is to discredit the fact that the Pats have been a top-5 team for TEN years.

Nice try, but this only suggests that Belichick had a slump.  Last year alone will bring him back up when Gronkowski and Cunningham turn the corner (Gronk /> Cunningham).

Draft picks are also assets that can be traded, and the players we got in return should count if we're going to run a thorough analysis.  Lest we should forget, the Pats also traded picks to acquire Wes Welker (better than any second round pick that the Jets ever made) and Randy Moss (worth the fourth round pick used to get him, even after last season's shenanigans and infinitely better than almost any fourth rounder any team has ever picked).

So, 7 starters from the past FIVE years of draft picks, forgetting that Belichick has dominated for the past TEN years.  Two more Pro-Bowlers as a result of all the draft picks he's stockpiled.  I can't complain - it's been a great decade :-D

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : You are a pinkhat because you clearly jumped on the patsie bandwagon sometime around 2004.  Any fool who didn't know that Parcells was coaching the patsies in 1996 when they got to the superbowl or or that it was not Kraft who hired him in the first place, is not only an idiot, but clearly a pinkhat.
    Posted by PhatRex

Rex - Daily Rusty demonstrates how little he actually knows.  He shows his a&& so frequently on a daily basis that there's not an inmate that would touch him.  In fact, the prison guards use Rusty's a&& as a punishment to the inmates. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

I saw that article and I am not sure it is accurate.  I count 30 players that BB drafted on the current roster:

Aaron Hernandez
    Brandon Meriweather
    Brandon Tate
    Brankon Spikes
    Dan Koppen
    Darius Butler
    Devin McCourty
    Deon Branch
    James Sanders
    Jermaine Cunningham
    Jerod Mayo
    Jonathan Wilhite
    Julian Edelman
    Logan Mankins
    Matt Light
    Matthew Slater
    Myron Pryor
    Nick Kaczur
    Patrick Chung
    Rich Ohrmberger
    Rob Gronkoswski
    Ron Brace
    Sebastian Vollmer
    Stephen Gostkowski
    Taylor Price
    Tom Brady
    Tully Banta-Cane
    Ty Warren
    Vince Wilfork
    Zoltan Mesko

as well as 10 URFA:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Brandon Deaderick
    Brian Hoyer
    Dan Connolly
    Dane Fletcher
    Gary Guyton
    Kyle Arrington
    Kyle Love
    Mike Wright
    Sergio Brown

This list does not include a couple late round draft picks that ended up on IR.

I think this list shows that BB is a great evaluator of talent.  Even our Undrafted Rookie Free Agents played some important roles while providing great value.

One interesting side note on that article is that most of the worst picks that teams made came in 2007.  I think the Pats recognized that 2007 was a poor draft class and decided to make other moves.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts