This doesn't make any sense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Re: This doesn't make any sense

42 Years and counting. Do your parents still read you that bedtime story of how Joe Namath and the Jets won the title?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

hahaha phatrex you obviously know nothing about politics! Polls can be manipulated to say anything you want them to say! I will answer your question about this though; Pats-7 starters out of 51 picks, only holding onto 23 of those players while the Jets and the floundering Mike T, got 9 starters out of 27 picks holding onto 17  Lets break it down; Jesters were 11-5 this year (2010 season) but since we havent had the draft yet we are obviously talking about draft years 2005-2009. During that time frame the Jesters and Pats records were;
              JETS       PATS
    2005; 4-12          10-6   
    2006; 10-6        12-4
    2007; 4-12        16-0
    2008; 9-7          11-5
    2009; 9-7             10-6
    Total; 36-44        59-21

So I think the answer is pretty obvious! It is a heck of alot easier to make the roster, and even be a starter, for a sub .500 team, than it is to make the roster of a perennial Super bowl Contender!!! Heck the Pats had some 3rd stringers that could probably have started for the Jesters during those years!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to This doesn't make any sense:
    How can the best drafting guru of all time only get 7 starters out of 51 picks, only holding onto 23 of those players while the Jets and the floundering Mike T, got 9 starters out of 27 picks holding onto 17.  It is all so confusing when the facts seem to deny the general belief in patsieland.  http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936
    Posted by PhatRex

Interesting post and a good read.  Couple of points.  The 5 year sample does include a few bad drafts from the pats.  The last few years thou have been good and if they hit a home run in 2011 they will be at the top of that list.

Also when looking at a team the draft is very important, but so are free agent signings and then coaching up the players to get the most out of them.

The last point is a serious flaw in the ranking.  The ranking is partially based on "players still on the team".  As we have all seen the Pats draft great/good players -- Samual, Law, Milloy, et al.... you know the list.  They choose not to resign them because of the money.  That doesn't mean they had bad picks, it means they made a business decision to let that player go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

How can the best drafting guru of all time only get 7 starters out of 51 picks, only holding onto 23 of those players while the Jets and the floundering Mike T, got 9 starters out of 27 picks holding onto 17.  It is all so confusing when the facts seem to deny the general belief in patsieland.  http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936
    Posted by PhatRex

You got to remember that as far as holding on to players go, that is a way in which Bill rebuilds the team via trading players while they still have some value. Has he missed some picks, absolutely, but he knows the draft and has been able to keep the Patriots a contender each year by doing what he does. Kinda hard to knock that in my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense:
    hahaha phatrex you obviously know nothing about politics! Polls can be manipulated to say anything you want them to say! I will answer your question a
    Posted by Quagmire3
    oh my quaggy, you must have plagiarized your response. it actually makes some sense. its not so bad. ill about spewing venom in response to a negative context but clearly it is not as negative and PERSONAL as most of your usual jibberish. you must be learning or improving. how many of these threads can anyone start in the off-season? there are like 40 of these already. my job is to give this board some flavor at times when it needs it. or would you prefer me to start the 400th "is belichick the greatest ever" or is tim brady the greatest everand why anyone who disagrees must be a troll?" for those who do not appreciate my flavorings, they are free to leap over them and express themselves right here. kind of like how democracy works...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : Let's not confuse a lucky pick with a skilled pick.  Are you suggesting that BB knew that TB was that good and decided that it would be a good idea to wait until the 6th round and first taking gems like Adrian Klemm, JR Redmond, Greg Robinson-Randall, Dave Stachelski, Jeff Marriott, and Antwan Harris?  Just out of curiosity, any of those guys still in the NFL? This has nothing to do with my sleeping patterns.  Just the facts, ma'am.
    Posted by PhatRex

You're going back to his first draft?   Yeah, I am sure BB's staff and scouting system was well established early on.

lol

Scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of jealosy with this one, aren't you?

Keep in mind, Tannenboob chose Gholston #6 overall, Sancheese #4 overall and Kyle Wilson late in the 1st rd last year.

I am pretty sure you have NOTHING to be talking about when comparing what you get to what Pats fans get.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : Oh damn almost missed this post!!!!!!!!!!! New York Jets Salary Cap 2009 NFL Salary Cap Limit: $127,997,000 Jets Adjusted Cap: $129,278,924 Current Estimated Cap Space: $808,335 Jets Rookie Allotment: $3,429,442 This already pout them over then....... LT, JT, Rvis extension, brought in Holmes from trade, and extended Scott I believe....  yes they are waaaay over
    Posted by Getzo

Phat Rex doesn't like facts. He thinks it's better to have a 2-3 year window and cross your fingers in the draft.  lol

How much do you want to bet when the Jets collapse in 2011, Phat Rex is nowhere to be found, not conceding he was completely wrong analyzing his own team's future?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : oh my quaggy, you must have plagiarized your response. it actually makes some sense. its not so bad. ill about spewing venom in response to a negative context but clearly it is not as negative and PERSONAL as most of your usual jibberish. you must be learning or improving. how many of these threads can anyone start in the off-season? there are like 40 of these already. my job is to give this board some flavor at times when it needs it. or would you prefer me to start the 400th "is belichick the greatest ever" or is tim brady the greatest everand why anyone who disagrees must be a troll?" for those who do not appreciate my flavorings, they are free to leap over them and express themselves right here. kind of like how democracy works...
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

OK Communist I will accept this for what it is....a compliment and an extension of the olive branch. The thread on you being annoying will be removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : One last thing.... bla bla bla Jets got lucky bla bla bla, pastises are rebuilding What do they call it when a new HC comes in and replaces half the roster?   Is it only called rebuilding when you lose your only playoff games for three years?
    Posted by PhatRex

And what did you do for your playoff games?  You lost or barely even qualified in 2009.

That was an 8-8 team at best without the Indy lay down. Fact.

Where do you get off, as a Jets fan, making these comments over and over?

Your whole claim to fame is beating your chest because your team, for the first time in playoff history in its existence beat NE in the playoffs.

This is your whole focus.

Meanwhile, Pats fans can see a very strong foundation being laid down for a new future that will last past 2010 and 2011.

Funny how NE sits on 6 picks in the top 92 selections and we have a Lockout, isn't it?

This means FAs don't know their future and NYJs have a lot of them, don't they?

Do you think BB just concidentally put himself in this position? Wouldn't it be BETTER to have all these picks when you don't know the economic landscape of the NFL in 2011 or beyond?

lol

You are so obtuse as a human, you don't realize this all covers your knowledge as a fan, too.

BB is a winner. Pats fans are winners.

Tannenboob is a loser.  Jets fans are losers.

At least we know what are team is doing and what expectations to hold.  You are beyond clueless. I don't know too many teams with a target on their back rebuilding and filling holes yet still having a chance.

Are they a juggeranut? No. No one said the Pats were the last few years.  And any rational fan can live with that knowing it's smarter to be methodical in a cap league than it is to knee jerk yourself into a tizzy with nothing to show for it.

See your loser Jets franchise, a team that does stuff like this every 10 years, and then regresses.

You did it in the early 80s, late 90s and now.  LOSER

A good 14-2 overachieving team in 2010 means it will be BETTER in 2011 and beyond. 

For dummies like you, denial is a nasty little habit.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : Let's not confuse a lucky pick with a skilled pick.  Are you suggesting that BB knew that TB was that good and decided that it would be a good idea to wait until the 6th round and first taking gems like Adrian Klemm, JR Redmond, Greg Robinson-Randall, Dave Stachelski, Jeff Marriott, and Antwan Harris?  Just out of curiosity, any of those guys still in the NFL? This has nothing to do with my sleeping patterns.  Just the facts, ma'am.
    Posted by PhatRex

Let's not confuse your being a hack with being an expert, on anything.  You and some other people on this board could start a fight in an empty house and all of your posts here are dedicated to that proposition. 

Every team makes choices that go bust and the down through the years, the YETS under many coaches have made those choices and of course some good choices as well.  So have the PATS.  So have the Giants.  So have the Packers.  So have the Steelers and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.  So what?

What's different between the YETS and the PATS, (and you know this and eats at you), is that since 1985, the PATS have been to the big show six times and are 500 for those trips.  The YETS zero times.  It is the ability to get there multiple times that counts.  Ask the Chargers, or the Bengals or the Falcons or the Ravens, teams that have been at least once and not again.  The YETS?  Well....  Let me know if you have any questions.  I like to work at the macro level, rather than down in all this silly detail.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : Riigght.... seem to remember the exact same prediction last off season.  Keep up the good work. So, what you are saying is that it is better to win 11 games rather than 9 and lose in the first round instead of going to the championship game and to win 14 games rather than 11 and lose in the first round AGAIN instead of going to the championship game.   That sounds like a patsie fan take on things.  I just love the overachievement excuse.  You're good enough to win 14 games, and beat the likes of Pit & GB during the season, but you were actually expected to choke in the playoffs?  You have one of the best QBs in football who again is on the best offense, but that was actually overachieving, so you were actually expected(except by EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THIS FORUM) to lose your third playoff game in a row.  Basically, what you are saying is, the pastsies did not belong in the playoffs. 
    Posted by PhatRex

"Excuse"? It's called a fact.

They weren't a 14-2 dynasty era type team. So, yes, they overachieved. We all know they don't have a legit pass rush.

Until that happens, we aren't seeing a SB here.  That was their main flaw last year.

See, we're realists and are honest.

Meanwhile, you are delusional.

I had them at 12-4 and then when Ty Warren and Bodden went down, I adjsted it to 11-5 with their tough schedule. I don't think anyone had them at 14-2, stupid.

Hence why BB was coach of the year, yet again.

And rightfully so. The team had 15 people on IR and had a boatload of issues/distractions to deal with all year.

The Pats belonged in the playoffs, but I think even the biggest homer fan knew they were on thin ice.  They were counting on a lot of 1st or 2nd year players at key positions to rise up even more.

What I like or any Pats fan should like is people like Sebastian Vollmer, Pat Chung, Rob Gronkowski, Devin McCourty, Jerod Mayo, Dan Connolly, BJGE, Danny Woodhead, etc, etc, are younger core players, but now have some experience under their belts.

They'll be far, far less holes in the playoffs in the coming years.

And DEEP DOWN, you know this. This is why you come here. Fear of the reality.

lol

My same prediciton is the same one every year: The Jets are not winning a SB with that team building approach or in your lifetime.  How old are you anyway?

lol!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Was this moron even born yet the last time the Jets won a Super Bowl? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Probably not. He may have been.

I bet he is some tool in his 40s living with mommy and so enraged with everything in his life, his whole enjoyment in life is when the Pats don't win the SB every year.

lol

It's comical how little info he gives us, too. I'd be my life I have been to dozens more professional sporting events than he has, yet he calls me a "pinkhat".

You just can't make it up. You just can't.

Phat Rex = Born Loser

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Posted by PhatRex

Cost / Benefit - /> the Jets also picked higher in the first round and paid more money per player, meaning a higher standard deviation.  So their busts (Vernon Gholston, that backup QB that never came around, that defensive tackle Robertson) are more magnified, too.

Besides, Belichick's enjoyed a decade of success, and to get a hard-on over a five-year study is to discredit the fact that the Pats have been a top-5 team for TEN years.

Nice try, but this only suggests that Belichick had a slump.  Last year alone will bring him back up when Gronkowski and Cunningham turn the corner (Gronk /> Cunningham).

Draft picks are also assets that can be traded, and the players we got in return should count if we're going to run a thorough analysis.  Lest we should forget, the Pats also traded picks to acquire Wes Welker (better than any second round pick that the Jets ever made) and Randy Moss (worth the fourth round pick used to get him, even after last season's shenanigans and infinitely better than almost any fourth rounder any team has ever picked).

So, 7 starters from the past FIVE years of draft picks, forgetting that Belichick has dominated for the past TEN years.  Two more Pro-Bowlers as a result of all the draft picks he's stockpiled.  I can't complain - it's been a great decade :-D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Note how BB's worst busts like Chad Jackson or even Laurence Maroney weren't so bad that you'd say "he was a first rd pick and never played", like Vernon Gholston with the Jets.

Vernon Gholston might be WORSE than Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. At least each actually PLAYED and did one thing productive.  Gholston barely played and never even had a sack in THREE YEARS!

Mauroney had a few 900 yard seasons and scored many TDs on this team

While a bust in Pats world, he at least contributed and started in a SB.

I'll take BB's "busts" over 90% of any other GM's busts, thanks very much.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

How could I have jumped on the bandwagon when my family has had seasons tickets since 1978 and I have been lucky enough to go to many, many games, some classic ones (1995 MNF first time in 15 years, 1996 AFC title game, etc)?

If anything, I am the anti-bandwagon fan.

Since going off to college and moving away, I barely get back to the games with the yuppie contingents swilling $12 beers on Sundays.

You're just an idiot and got completely tooled off your own thread, as usual.

lol

And you pretending an error by a writer is my issue or you not reading correctly yet again somehow can be spun into me being a "pink hat" will not work.

Take it up with the writer of that column who made the error and the fact you can't ready correctly. 

We all find it funny you won't tell us what you do for a living, how old you are and how many Jets games you've been to, also.

This means you have no job or a really bad one, are probably in your 40s or 50s, and barely if ever been to a Jets game.

Rex's boyfriends at a game:

in rare form:

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : You are a pinkhat because you clearly jumped on the patsie bandwagon sometime around 2004.  Any fool who didn't know that Parcells was coaching the patsies in 1996 when they got to the superbowl or or that it was not Kraft who hired him in the first place, is not only an idiot, but clearly a pinkhat.
    Posted by PhatRex

Rex - Daily Rusty demonstrates how little he actually knows.  He shows his a&& so frequently on a daily basis that there's not an inmate that would touch him.  In fact, the prison guards use Rusty's a&& as a punishment to the inmates. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : Lol great pic. I'm guessing Rex is the one holding the T and S?
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33

No. Rex has never left his home state before.  Those are his boyfriends who were out in SD for a weekend getaway an a "bachelor" party for the weekend.

Rex stayed at home with his case of Zima and wine spritzers watching his Jets choke in the playoffs yet again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: This doesn't make any sense : Rex - Daily Rusty demonstrates how little he actually knows.  He shows his a&& so frequently on a daily basis that there's not an inmate that would touch him.  In fact, the prison guards use Rusty's a&& as a punishment to the inmates. 
    Posted by UD6

Not really a good zinger at all. I'd work on that if I were you. Then again, don't bother. You're a hopeless dork. As is Phat Rex.  You two make a perfect team.

I was going to Pats games as Indy was getting their team. How does that grab you? lol

I think I still have my Squish the Fish and Berry the Bears t-shirts. 

The tailgate for the '96 AFC title game was a beaute.  11 AM the gates opened and we had passes up front due to a buddy of mine having a connection.

Arguably the best live sporting event I have been to whether it be football, at the GArden or Fenway Park.

I have been to so many live games it's practically unhealthy.

I once saw this gal:

come onto the field and kiss Roger Clemens in 1991 before he allowed back to back homers to Rob Deer and Pete Incavgilia, only to plunk poor John Shelby with the very next pitch.  I saw it coming as did catcher, John Marzano.  Shelby never made it to the mound.

She's not around anymore. Too bad.

No need for Wikipedia. I was there as I was many, many other sporting events in the 1980s and 1990s in Boston.

How's that for a memory?    I could go on and on and on.  You won't win here.

I have been to approximately 40-50 Pats games (before 2001), mostly bad ones in the 1980s and early/mid 90s, 50+ Bruins and Sox games and a few Celtics games.

That's just in Boston alone.

I have also been lucky enough to a dozen baseball stadiums and a slew of other hockey arenas and football stadiums.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

I saw that article and I am not sure it is accurate.  I count 30 players that BB drafted on the current roster:

Aaron Hernandez
    Brandon Meriweather
    Brandon Tate
    Brankon Spikes
    Dan Koppen
    Darius Butler
    Devin McCourty
    Deon Branch
    James Sanders
    Jermaine Cunningham
    Jerod Mayo
    Jonathan Wilhite
    Julian Edelman
    Logan Mankins
    Matt Light
    Matthew Slater
    Myron Pryor
    Nick Kaczur
    Patrick Chung
    Rich Ohrmberger
    Rob Gronkoswski
    Ron Brace
    Sebastian Vollmer
    Stephen Gostkowski
    Taylor Price
    Tom Brady
    Tully Banta-Cane
    Ty Warren
    Vince Wilfork
    Zoltan Mesko

as well as 10 URFA:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Brandon Deaderick
    Brian Hoyer
    Dan Connolly
    Dane Fletcher
    Gary Guyton
    Kyle Arrington
    Kyle Love
    Mike Wright
    Sergio Brown

This list does not include a couple late round draft picks that ended up on IR.

I think this list shows that BB is a great evaluator of talent.  Even our Undrafted Rookie Free Agents played some important roles while providing great value.

One interesting side note on that article is that most of the worst picks that teams made came in 2007.  I think the Pats recognized that 2007 was a poor draft class and decided to make other moves.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

No one said he is a draft guru or infallible, stupid.

Learn to read.

What we have said is, no one uses FA and the draft in conjunction BETTER in the cap era, than Bill Belichick.   No one.

Even his FA pick ups are great.  BJGE was a Pro Bowl level player last year.  Signed RB, Danny Woodhead, was also Pro Bowl material.  Dane Fletcher made the team and helped. 

You saw the list. It's a LARGE list. No one else does this at this level or rate.

Within the draft, he usually tries to get more picks to increase his chances while parlaying other picks into another draft.

I am pretty sure this works quite swimmingly as his winning% since the dnyasty ended and the rebuilding process proves.

He was just unanimously voted best coach and was clearly and arguably the best GM of last year, only losing to Dimitrioff (someone he trained) because BB doesn't hold the title, exclusively, in the internal infrastructure of the organization.

Your wildly trying to throw dung at the wall hoping it sticks and you have it stuck on your hands. Again.

We've witnessed another Phatty premise fail. lol

Sections
Shortcuts