This draft is horrible so far!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

This draft is horrible so far!

haha thats what alot of folks here sound like! I learned my lesson during the David Terrell / Richard Seymour draft to trust BB!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: This draft is horrible so far!

Yeah seems like all the "glass is 3/4 empty" folks are here!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Jamie Collins was a good pick up, I'm just not sure where he'll play. They might use Ninkovich on 1st and 2nd downs, then bring in Collins with Armstead to get after the QB in they use him in a 4-3. 

If they use him in a 3-4, it works out well with Mayo and Hightower at the MLB with Collins and Jones playing OLB, but the problem is that we don't have enough 3-4 DL men. It almost makes them not drafting Jesse Williams even more painfully ludicrious. 

A 3-4 with Jesse, Vince and Tommy on the DL is much more effective than whoever BB tries to drum out there. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

haha thats what alot of folks here sound like! I learned my lesson during the David Terrell / Richard Seymour draft to trust BB!

I actually like this draft so far, in the overall context of not too many truly high end guys in this year's class.

BB addressed arguably the top 3 needs with those first 3 picks. We'll have to wait and see how these guys develop but a guy Mayock described as one of the most explosive edge rushers in the draft, a WR with good size, speed and hands and a depth CB. Sounds good to me.

The Harmon pick is a little puzzling based on the depth chart at Safety but A.Wilson is a short term solution and may play a nickel LB role and so he and T.Wilson may be on the field together in sub packages.

If the idea is that long term they've got 3 good young safeties, being optimistic on the players themselves, with McCourty, T.Wilson and Harmon that sounds like a plan.

Now the 5th overall pick today with lots of good players still kicking around.

It's all good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

3 of the 4 picks will be instant contributors how is that horrible???

haha read my whole post, i was being sarcastic! I like 3 of the 4 picks, and trust BB on the 4th.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

It's not exactly horrible (yet), but just didn't tickle the fancy of defensive minded fans for this particular draft.

They had a chance on taking Margus Hunt; a 6'8" player with long arms - a project for sure - but considering our need for DE/OLB/Pass rush - I thought it would have been worth it to take a chance.  The Patriots "reached" on Harmon, so, why not reach on Hunt? Oh, well. Water under the bridge at this point.

Dobson is an okay addition. He has the height that is missing amongst our WR corp, and has the reputation of having good hands. His weakness is that he may not be very physical, and may get shut down easily by those CBs who are physical. Randy Moss, who's physique peeps are comparing Dobson's body type to,  didn't like it much either.

Logan Ryan is better than nothing.  Obviously, we need some help w/ our DBs who are having a horrible time covering.

Biggest mistake of the draft?  No DE/OLB to improve our pass rush.  I guesss maybe the Patriots are gonna pick up a veteran with worn treads; like Abraham or something.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Dobson has a legit chance to be a starter - depending on how smart he is.

I like Collins pick - think he is going to be a fan favorite.

The Rutgers guys?  Who knows - no one watches Rutgers.  It does seem likely that they could have got the safety with a 7th rd pick - so why reach?

It's a good draft

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I guess time will tell on this one.  I would have prefered this instead-

Ogletree

Dobson

Ryan (although he was picked at 83, I do think he would've been available at 91)

I hope we get someone good in the 4th.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

It's not a sexy draft, no big names, but at least they're addressing positions of need with a WR, a versatile LB and CB/S depth. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

It's not a sexy draft, no big names, but at least they're addressing positions of need with a WR, a versatile LB and CB/S depth. 

I think this sums it up perfectly.  Picking guys who they think will fit with what they do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

No. People here seem to be confining their complaints to the Harmon pick, at #91. There was no need to spend the 91st overall pick on a guy most others listed as a fringe player. If the Jets had taken him with such a relatively high pick, what would your response have been? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

I think this sums it up perfectly.  Picking guys who they think will fit with what they do.

Amen! No sexy picks, but they're filling areas of need with young, athletic players. Can't complain about that.

One thing that stood out against superior teams was their lack of physicality. They weren't as big, fast, or strong as other top teams (Ravens, Niners, Seahawks).

All of these picks have added size, strength, and speed to the team. Dobson and Collins are athletic freaks, period.

Ryan and Harmon don't quite have the unique ahtleticism speed of Dobson and Collins, but they add size, and are physical players. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

No. People here seem to be confining their complaints to the Harmon pick, at #91. There was no need to spend the 91st overall pick on a guy most others listed as a fringe player. If the Jets had taken him with such a relatively high pick, what would your response have been? 

If the jets had BB running the organization and had won more games then any team for 13 years running then I would say they know something Mel Kiper didn't.....which isn't saying much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I like this draft a lot. Collins is a stud! He's the OLB/DE someone else was asking for,he started out as a Safety at Southern Miss! He also had 10 sacks last year!! As for Dobson please name the other Wide receiver in this draft who didn't drop one pass last year? The only guy in college football that I know of was Aaron Dobson of Marshall!!! Logan Ryan and Harmon what's not to like? They played as a tandem their communication factor will be off the charts and both guys were leaders on their team. An added plus is they have played with McCourty! Wow whose the fourth guy from the Rutgers secondary that's missing? The other McCourty...Today they added one of the fastest WR's in this draft he ran a 4.38 and a most impressive 6.68 3 cone drill, who averaged 7 TD's a season at TCU in Josh Boyce He's not a midget and he also pumped 22 reps at 225, he will push Amendola outside! First year starter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Actually...I like what the Pats have done, except for the decision to draft Harmon at #91. Had the Pats used the 91st overall pick on Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib (whichever of these two they had higher rated), I'd be doing back-flips right now!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's how I see it...

Fans were "banging the table" for an edge rusher, more speed and size at WR and more toughness/physicality in the secondary and are now complaining about them actually going out and getting kids who'll help address those needs.

Sure I would've preferred Shamarko Thomas or even Josh Evans at S, but we should at least give Harmon a shot to show what he can do before we shread the pick. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We've had a great draft, I said it, great.  And we still have three 7's left and Belichick can still sneak a player in with a 7... three of them increases the odds of that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

Here's how I see it...

Fans were "banging the table" for an edge rusher, more speed and size at WR and more toughness/physicality in the secondaryand are now complaining about them actually going out and getting kids who'll help address those needs.

Sure I would've preferred Shamarko Thomas or even Josh Evans at S, but we should at least give Harmon a shot to show what he can do before we shread the pick. 

Do you think with Boyce's speed and quickness that he could compete for Kick Return duties at all?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to braunzy's comment:

Here's how I see it...

Fans were "banging the table" for an edge rusher, more speed and size at WR and more toughness/physicality in the secondaryand are now complaining about them actually going out and getting kids who'll help address those needs.

Do you think with Boyce's speed and quickness that he could compete for Kick Return duties at all?

Sure, I think he could get some looks back there in camp (was one of the deep guys at TCU, but utilized more as a blocker in that capacity, did have 3 ret for 93 yards though in 2012)... overall, he'll be able to contribute on ST... and we know the more you can do, the more valuable you are to BB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

I'm pretty happy with this draft (minus the Harmon pick, but i'll withhold judgment until we see the guy play). In terms of WR, we got a tall, physical WR with great hands in Dobson and a speed guy in Boyce. We got Logan Ryan for CB depth and a nice OLB who can rush the passer and cover. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Here's how I see it...

I saw the same threads and can't imagine why there's so much pi$$ing and moaning.  Can't speak to your preferences at safety but otherwise agree the Pats have done the very thing that many in this forum were demanding of them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Margus Hunt is 6'8 with a 34.5 vertical, Collins is 4.5 inches shorter but has a 7" higher vertical and the same length arms - both are going to be a pain to throw around - but Collins is going to be a little more of a pain to throw over - espcially if he drops into the short/medium zone.

And Collins doesn't have a major red flag on durability.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

The only pick that may work out is Dobson. The rest of the picks will have to prove that they are good enough for special teams. BB does not give the Pats a good chance of draft success because he trades the few high probability picks for many picks that will nver make it in the NFL

Sections
Shortcuts