This Fin Fan Continues to respect BB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

This Fin Fan Continues to respect BB

Once again, although I hate him, I must confess my admiration for Belichek. 

That was a gutsy decision to play his starters today in the interest of maintaining the integrity of the game.  And it was a very difficult decision to keep Brady in there for most of the game AFTER Welker went down.

But there was more to this decsion than maintaining the integrity of the game, unlike those POS Colts who laid down for the Jets.  When you face a team in the final week that you can eliminate from the playoffs, like the Pats faced today in the Texans, you have to go for it.  You have to knock them out.  You don't want to let a team into the playoffs, and potentially allow them to get hot and knock you out down the line in the playoffs. And that's what Belichek did for the most part. Unfortunately, he didn't get the job done and that could bite you real soon. But it was the right thing to do and I respect and admire BB for that. 

Although the Welker injury is huge, it was a freak injury and that kind of injury can happen in practice.  You can't play this game scared.  BB never plays scared.  He took crap for playing with guts at Indy on that 4th down play, even though that was clearly the right move--and some will question him today for playing with guts like he did in trying to win.  But he did the right thing.  He plays with guts, unlike so many POS coaches in the NFL. 

Watch tonight's game and you will learn all you need to know about Marvin Lewis as a coach.  And this is the classic situation.  If the Bengals lay down and let the Jets in the party, they host the Jets next week.  And anytime you play a team in the playoffs that plays Defense and runs the ball as well as the Jets, you could get beat.  The Bengals must play to win tonight or they could let their killer into their party.  I am betting that marvin Lewis has the guts to play it tough just like Belichek. Marvin Lewis must realize that he has two chances to knock out the Jets--and he might as well try to knock out this dangerous team tonight.  And as a coach, he is in a much better position to make adjustments next week if he plays to win tonight and loses, than if he sits his starters tonight.  It makes so much sense on every level for the bengals to play to win tonight that to me this is the defining moment in Marvin Lewis' coaching career.  If he wants to one day be in the company of coaches like BB, Shula, Knoll etc, he has to play to win tonight.  If he lays down tonight, I guarantee he loses next week.

My season is over.  The only thing remaining for me is to see the jets lose.  If the Jets make it to New England, I will be rooting for the patriots more than you will--I guarantee that.    

Congrats and good luck the rest of the way.  Your team is the class of the NFL, your coach is the class of the NFL, and of all the opposing fans I have encountered (on the net and at games), the patriot fans are the classiest and most respectful (aside from Miami fans of course).  Good luck.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: This Fin Fan Continues to respect BB

Thanks Oggie, Looks like we have the Ravens next week. They aren't any better than the Jets they just have a little worse defense and a little better offense. I bet Miami today too and they stuck it too me. I figured they'd beat Pittsburgh for sure. What Happened to Henne? I saw he went out with an eye injury, but did he end up coming back in?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

You make me like the dolphins. Thanks for the luck. Pittsburgh had the luck then. Have a nice offseason and a great new year!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Thanks Oggie...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

oggie, I agree with your assessment that the Bengals MUST win to eliminate the Jets from the mix.  Between them and Houston, which team is MOST dangerous, Jets, of course.  Their D can rise up and smack the s**t out of ya!  Houston's D doesn't scare you at all.  If the Bengals lay it down for the Jets, you do not want to let the same guy back into the ring with you when there is even more on the line!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

ew--no, Henne didn't come back in.  Pat white took over and then got hurt bad.  Then Thigpen came in for the first time all year and moved them back into it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Thanks, my brother.

I agreed with the 4th and 2 call. I agree with letting your players play today. Wes could have had the same injury in practice. So, Bill wasn't supposed to let him practice either? He could have had this injury in his driveway even. You play to win and not to not lose. Again, see Indy for most of this past decade.

If you've ever read "The Education of a Coach", which is a biography on Bill Belichick, one of the biggest things you take away from the story is Bill's respect for the game of football. People can call him a cheater, they can call him disrespectful for not talking to the media and giving them everythign they want, but ultimately, it doesn't get any better than Bill Belichick. This guy remembers every player or coach was who disrespected by the league or another team and if given the chance, he helps right the wrong. For the Patriots "fans" that call for Belichick's head each week seemingly, I can't wait to hear what you have to say when the man's no longer around. We are competing for a Super Bowl in a supposed "rebuilding" year with the most draft picks heading into the draft. Seriously, what more did you want?!

Jets can get in if they want but they'll get smoked. I hope you're right about Marvin Lewis playing to win tonight.

I like our run defense and our secondary is better than it was the first time around against Baltimore. Brady has played a ton more since then so any rust from his injury has been reduced. The Ravens also played a tough game in Oakland and now have to fly out to the east coast to play in New England. That won't be easy for them either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

Hate does not accurately describe my feelings towards the jets.  Does not even come close.  I may not make it to heavan if the man upstairs is listening to what I say and think about the jets. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucela. Show pucela's posts

Thank you, Oggie. It's a pleasure having you in these boards. Tough game today with Pitt, esp. for the QBs. I hope everyone is well. Waiting to see if the Jets make it tonight, I'd guess probably so.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

ap--I think this sums it up: I'd take belichek in Miami any day.  He's got the personality of a wall--but he can flat out coach. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

And when I hear some idiot pat fans complain about BB, I just wish they could understand how lucky they are.   I go into the offseason with so much doubt about Parcells and Sporano on personnel decisions.  They have made some pathetic decisions.  And in a year in which so many complain about BB, you are still in the playoffs.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Oggie, You most eloquently said everything I think of BB;very misunderstood figure in the NFL...most of the hate for him is from jealousy, that's understood, but his 100% respect for the game, let's just say guys like Adalius Thomas don't understand that and guys like Wes Welker do. You may remember when he had local hero Doug Flutie make a point after drop kick (on Doug's last play as a pro) so that he could match some obscure record of running, throwin and kicking for points in the NFL; that play was for me a view of what BB was and still is. PS you may have noticed that after his "notorious" going for it on fourth down, many other POS coaches are now going for it regurarly...BB is a breath of fresh air. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played--with guts and respect.  That's what a coach is supposed to do.  Shaking hands with opposing coaches after the game?  That doesn't matter.  But I do know this, for whatever it is worth: he has never brushed aside a Miami coach. But even if he did, it wouldn't change my opinion of him:  I hate him but admire him as one of the best ever.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oggieman. Show oggieman's posts

this is killing me---seeing that Fireman Ed creep cheering for those Jets---bengals better win.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Oggie--the exact opposite of Leon. Knows football and can post in complete sentences

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Classy stuff, oggie.  Thanks.

By the way...anyone out there who loves football should read When Pride Still Mattered.  Excellent read, excellent messages.