This is a watershed draft for the Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FcukUPayMe. Show FcukUPayMe's posts

This is a watershed draft for the Pats

Their weaknesses have never been more obvious and they need to get young players to help fix it. They need to get some pass rush, pass D and a wideout to stretch the field (a Torrey Smith type guy). They have the picks this year to try to fix their problems and they can't afford to get any busts. Bill and company need to do their homework.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: This is a watershed draft for the Pats

Don't get your hopes up.  BB takes pride in refusing to improve the defense.

They need just one psychotic pass rusher yesterday - but didn't have one.

Will they draft one?  No.  Sign one?  No.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

These have been the problems since the 09' season and still have not been fixed except for patch work players on band-aid contracts.

BB just refuses to draft pass rushers in the last 6+ years or so

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

relax folks ....they were in the SB.........it's not like this team is 1-15

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to This is a watershed draft for the Pats:
    [QUOTE]Their weaknesses have never been more obvious and they need to get young players to help fix it. They need to get some pass rush, pass D and a wideout to stretch the field (a Torrey Smith type guy). They have the picks this year to try to fix their problems and they can't afford to get any busts. Bill and company need to do their homework.
    Posted by FcukUPayMe[/QUOTE]

Every draft is a "watershed" event, for every team. The teams that draft well win, while those that don't suck. The 2010 draft saved the Patriots from becoming a 10-6/9-7 type team, as they added Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes, McCourty, and Mesko to the mix. In 2011, they picked up OT Nate Solder. Of course, they missed out on Torrie Smith...choosing RB Shane Vereen over him. 

Though the 2009 draft was disappointing overall, the Pats drafted Pat Chung and Vollmer. In 2008, they added Jerod Mayo. In 2007, they used draft picks to acquire Wes Welker and Randy Moss. So...things aren't quite so dire as they seem.

In the upcoming draft, they own the 27th, 31st, 48th, and 63rd overall picks. I expect that one of their #1 picks will be traded for a second rounder, and a #1 next year. 

They need help on the DL, a pass-rushing OLB or DE, a WR who can stretch the field, a FS or CB, a RB, and another TE.         

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: This is a watershed draft for the Pats:
    [QUOTE]In Response to This is a watershed draft for the Pats :      Every draft is a "watershed" event, for every team. The teams that draft well win, while those that don't suck. The 2010 draft saved the Patriots from becoming a 10-6/9-7 type team, as they added Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes, McCourty, and Mesko to the mix. In 2011, they picked up OT Nate Solder. Of course, they missed out on Torrie Smith...choosing RB Shane Vereen over him.       Though the 2009 draft was disappointing overall, the Pats drafted Pat Chung and Vollmer. In 2008, they added Jerod Mayo. In 2007, they used draft picks to acquire Wes Welker and Randy Moss. So...things aren't quite so dire as they seem.        In the upcoming draft, they own the 27th, 31st, 48th, and 63rd overall picks. I expect that one of their #1 picks will be traded for a second rounder, and a #1 next year.       They need help on the DL, a pass-rushing OLB or DE, a WR who can stretch the field, a FS or CB, a RB, and another TE.         
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Hard to fathom that we just drafted 2 RBs, but we need a RB. But it is true.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Tex, I would say the Pats brass has to yeild at two or three quality eventual starters in this draft. I think most fans are frustrated by the anemic pass rush and secondary so they either want BB & Co. to have the greatest draft ever (or at least as good as the Gronk/Spikes/Hernandez draft) or they want to sign free agents for every position where there is a perceived deficiency (also difficult to do).  Do people even realise we lost the Super Bowl by less than a TD to a team that nearly everyone felt was more balanced than ours ?  Just to make it there is an accomplishment. Winning one for Myra would have been nice, but you don't blow-up the blueprint just because you lost the Super Bowl; you reload and come back next year.  It very very difficult to contend for ten years in this league. You get beat ,you come back, that's what teams with character do.

Two 1sts and two 2nds, even after losing a Super Bowl, is a much better place to be than having a top 10 pick year after year and never contending.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is a watershed draft for the Pats : Hard to fathom that we just drafted 2 RBs, but we need a RB. But it is true.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Yeah...it's a damn shame. To think that we could have had Torrie Smith instead of Shane Vereen, and Mike Wallace instead of Brandon Tate, hurts.

Let's hope Vereen shows us something next season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, I would say the Pats brass has to yeild at two or three quality eventual starters in this draft. I think most fans are frustrated by the anemic pass rush and secondary so they either want BB & Co. to have the greatest draft ever (or at least as good as the Gronk/Spikes/Hernandez draft) or they want to sign free agents for every position where there is a perceived deficiency (also difficult to do).

RESPONSE: Keep an eye on CB Ras-I Dowling next season. The kid can play, if he can ever stay healthy. Rumor has it that UFA, WR Brandon Lloyd, will be a Patriot next season. He'd make a good 2nd or 3rd WR. Here's a look at Lloyd:
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4582/brandon-lloyd

Do people even realise we lost the Super Bowl by less than a TD to a team that nearly everyone felt was more balanced than ours ?  Just to make it there is an accomplishment. Winning one for Myra would have been nice, but you don't blow-up the blueprint just because you lost the Super Bowl; you reload and come back next year.  It very very difficult to contend for ten years in this league. You get beat ,you come back, that's what teams with character do. Two 1sts and two 2nds, even after losing a Super Bowl, is a much better place to be than having a top 10 pick year after year and never contending.

RESPONSE: The reaction to a second gut-wrenching loss to the Giants is completely understandable. That's two the Pats have let get away over a 4 year period to brash, hated N.Y.. People here know that Tom Brady can't play forever. He'll be 35 next season. At his age, and with so much pressure on him to score on every possession, he needs more weapons.  Can BB pull off another 2010 draft...or another 2007-style off-season, out of his hoodie?
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Our defense really didn't lose the game.  They held the Giants to 19 points despite a lopsided time of possession.  The offense didn't get it done.

It's easy to look at that last drive by Manning and think the D stunk up the game, but they didn't.

This game truly did come down to "they made a couple more plays than we did".  It's often said, but that was really the case this time.  Let's react, but not over react.  We had a good year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

TEx, I keep hearing/reading the Lloyd rumors too. If we can throw out Welker in the slot, Lloyd as WR #2 and both Gronk and Hernandez can stay healthy that offense looks good. I might be concerned about the contract status of Law Firm and Waters (although he's old, he played great). My big question is can the Pats keep Lloyd and Welker ?

Again, to expect to win it every year is impossible. Caraway is right; the Giants did just make 3 or 4 more plays than the Pats did. And this was a team that most on this board thought lacked what it took to make the Super Bowl when the year started.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I don't see how the Rams could let Lloyd go.  WR is a big need but I don't see any help coming from FA.  The names that most are interested in will resign with there current teams with the exception of Reggie Wayne (cost and age?) and DeSean Jackson who is a turd (good Oakland candidate).  Manningham has been reduced to the #3 guy in New York and he doesn't excite me at all.

I liked how the defense played yesterday.  It looks like the Pats have something to work with in the secondary.  A couple of months ago I couldn't remotely say that.  After several years we still wait for that pass rush guy.  I'm at the point now wondering if it will ever happen.

Sections
Shortcuts