This is getting RIDICULOUS!! Sign Welker today!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: This is getting RIDICULOUS!! Sign Welker today!

Schefty is reporting that the Broncos are negotiating with Wes.  Hmmm I am a bit surprised, but given how inaccurate the reporting has been thus far (remember when it was a lock for Wes to return) I will believe it when I see it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Schefty is reporting that the Broncos are negotiating with Wes.  Hmmm I am a bit surprised, but given how inaccurate the reporting has been thus far (remember when it was a lock for Wes to return) I will see it when I believe it.

I'm not surprised at all. Bronco's makes perfect sense for Welker. So much for having a ton of cap space and using it to good affect. Now just cut Lloyd and we can have a ton of cap space to sign 15 players to fill 4 slots....

This was what I was most worried about. I feels exactly like 06' all over again

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I'm not surprised at all. Bronco's makes perfect sense for Welker. So much for having a ton of cap space and using it to good affect. Now just cut Lloyd and we can have a ton of cap space to sign 15 players to fill 4 slots....

This was what I was most worried about. I feels exactly like 06' all over again

I recognize the fit.  But they are already pretty stacked at WR.  They spent a good chunk of space on the OL and I was under the impression they wanted to make some changes in the secondary after the debacle against the Ravens.   I didn't see them wanting to dish out that kind of money.  I guess we'll see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Schefty is reporting that the Broncos are negotiating with Wes.  Hmmm I am a bit surprised, but given how inaccurate the reporting has been thus far (remember when it was a lock for Wes to return) I will believe it when I see it.

As I have mentioned many time here, this is the #1 landing spot for Welker outside of the Patriots.  Possibly this is now more of a reality then Welker staying with the Patriots.  As a Pats fan I would hate to see this, as someone who thinks Welker has a certain skill set to help a team win I would like to see it for his sake if he can not come to terms with the Pats.  I imagine Elway would like to give Manning another weapon to play with. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Rusty, was this a bad throw? 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000128922/Boldin-does-it-again

What about this?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000128921/AFC-Championship-Can-t-Miss-Play-Boldin-s-wild-grab

Or this one?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000128904/Boldin-makes-leaping-catch

As I said, it takes two to tango...

With all due respect, and I agree with you it takes two to tango AND Welker is not excused, those catches by Boldin you posted are very nice and he catchesa couple of them away from the body but I believe all of them are on target, just over the defender, and one that was underthrown but "in-line" as well.

Those catches while nice looking because they are caught away from the body with the hands are significantly easier to make "in-line" than twisting behind you "off-line". Boldin turns and falls forward after making the catch not while making it because the throws are inline.

The first one he barely needs to leap and the ball is only about hemlet crown height as he's falling back.

The second one is so on target he comes down standing up on his feet.

The third one a lil bit arc'd, Boldin stops, turns around and catches it in the middle alignment of his body.

At least Flacco had to make some of those throws where he did because Boldin was blanketed by the Pats.

What made Brady's throw so horrendous was there was absolutely ZERO need for it. He did not need to throw his WR open. The WR(Wes) was wide open. It could not have been an easier or better gift wrapped throw for TB to make in a critical situation.

Yes both players squeezed that ball too tightly in the biggest moment but at least Wes had a significantly more difficult play to try and make than TB. That's just the facts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I recognize the fit.  But they are already pretty stacked at WR. 

Stokley at age 36 and still did fairly well there.  Bring in a younger, better Welker and it's a perfect fit for all.  Well for all exept Stokley!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I recognize the fit.  But they are already pretty stacked at WR. 

Stokley at age 36 and still did fairly well there.  Bring in a younger, better Welker and it's a perfect fit for all.  Well for all exept Stokley!

Don't worry Den will dump him and the Pats will scoop him up thinking they got a great deal

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Welker isn't capable of catching passes down the field like Stokely is... his arms appear to be much shorter than Stokley's.

It makes sense for the Broncos given that Peyton doesn't appear to be able to throw the ball down the field like he used to. Brady, however, still has the arm to move the ball down the field effectively... just need to give him a receiver or two who can stretch the field and go up and pluck the ball out of the air.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Brady's pass to Welker was exactly where it needed to be to protect Welker while still giving him an opportunity to make a play on the ball.

Hahaha!  How ignorant are you?  I just posted a picture showing where the ball should have been.  Are you blind?  Here, I will show you again.  Let me know if you need me to enlarge the picture for you, I can email it to you poster size if you need it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This picture is laughable.  Yeah Brady should have thrown the ball 10 yards behind Wes (which is what that photoshop job implies since Wes was long gone from that spot when the ball actually arrived).  The "drop" was at like the 23 yard line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Brady's pass to Welker was exactly where it needed to be to protect Welker while still giving him an opportunity to make a play on the ball.

Hahaha!  How ignorant are you?  I just posted a picture showing where the ball should have been.  Are you blind?  Here, I will show you again.  Let me know if you need me to enlarge the picture for you, I can email it to you poster size if you need it!

I'm perfectly capable of seeing the picture you posted.

Are you seeing the safety coming over from the middle of the field? If that ball goes where you want it to go, Welker is going to endure a huge hit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I'm perfectly capable of seeing the picture you posted.

Are you seeing the safety coming over from the middle of the field? If that ball goes where you want it to go, Welker is going to endure a huge hit.

Brady does not throw back shoulder throws to protect his WR in general. He throws it to the place where ONLY his WR can make the catch, when neccessary. This was not the case. in this situation.

Not only that but Wes is "facing" the on coming perceived threat you are speaking of. Catch the ball and drop, collision averted, 1st down, game over in some sort of probability.

Situational football, you are worrying about making a "needed" 1st down and sealing the deal, not protecting your buddy from taking one more hit that he endures regularly.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d826acc09/Welker-drops-ball-in-space

Watch it again. In FACT, the safety you are speaking of thinks he is beat for a TD and does the smart thing and peels upfield for a better angle to protect against an even bigger play. He was not going for a knock out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Come on!! Now you are just reaching here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

BB does not pay for past results. He also cashes in his chips when he knows it is time. Its like selling a stock when its high, some buy more and lose - BB would sell high and win. It takes a system and tremendous fortitude. 

Why is it hard for some to understand this? Being a Pats fan is about trusting the process even when its hard. Has BB won a lot of games? Has he given us 3 SB? Yes and yes. I will judge him after their last lost next year. Not in the off season . 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Come on!! Now you are just reaching here.

Reaching? Hardly.

Might I recommend stepping away from the computer and going for a walk? You seem rather worked up today, largely due to the Welker news I'd assume. 

Nothing wrong with getting emotionally involved up, but this is totally out of character for you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

You may have already said this many times and I never caught it but how much money would you give Wes?

$8 to $9 mill per year, 3 years, $16 mill guaranteed.  Good deal, fair deal, imo.  

Wes turned down 16 mil guaranteed last year I thought? I would prefer around the 7-8mil but I have a feeling Wes or his agent is trying to get more per and more guaranteed than what you are suggesting.

IF that is the case, and I have absolutley no idea what is going on, no one does, do you still think the Pats are messing up? What if Wes is asking 9 mil per for 3 years with 21 guaranteed?

I love Wes but I just don't want to spend that kind of money on WR's. I just don't value the position as highly as some.

Last time I checked Randy Moss, Larry Fitgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, etc, have not won any superbowls yet. I am sure everyone will be quick to point out if I messed up on any of those guys.

Yes but nether has Jaber Gaffney or Reche Caldwell or Donte Stallworth

True but at least those players did not potentially hamstring you from having a wider and deeper depth across the entire roster. 

Which is far more important in my humble opinion and my main point.

Only if they use the money to add talent to the roster and not use it on dead money from the 4-5 mid teir guys they bring in and cut in camp. Those $500k-1mil signing bonuses begin to add up once they are cut every year. If that difference is the difference between Welker or Amendola wouldn't you be a bit ticked off?

Yes and no. I agree in principle but I think the Pats do a very good job of not really giving much of anything in bonus and guarantees to the guys they think or more just competition without a decent shot of making the team or having an impact.

I also do not think the Pats hardline over 500,000 or 1 mil for a guy they "really" want. ...but maybe they do.?

..and if the "player" does by selecting the extra $500,000 or Mil to go play for a team that is not going anywhere then do you really want that type of guy anyway?

Also if you spend the added totals you and I are speaking of on 1 player and then that player goes to IR then where's the depth and money to sort the issue? Diminished on both counts? It will most likely be an even bigger drop off from the starter because of what you can afford and may or may not take an even longer time for that player to come up to speed if you did not bring that guy in for all of training camp because you could not afford to sign him.

There is probably a fine line to the advantage and disadvantages of both philosophies and most likely the Pats try to walk that sweet spot of value.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to thehub's comment:

BB does not pay for past results. He also cashes in his chips when he knows it is time. Its like selling a stock when its high, some buy more and lose - BB would sell high and win. It takes a system and tremendous fortitude. 

Why is it hard for some to understand this? Being a Pats fan is about trusting the process even when its hard. Has BB won a lot of games? Has he given us 3 SB? Yes and yes. I will judge him after their last lost next year. Not in the off season . 

Well and succinctly stated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

HIT THE ROAD 32-YEAR OLD BUTTER FINGERS!!! NOW WE CAN GET BACK TO WINNING BIG GAMES!!! THANK YOU BB!!! WES IS THE RONDO OF THE PATRIOTS....HIS BIG NUMBERS LEAD TO BIG BLUNDERS!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

A big loss if Welker leaves, but not the end of the world.  Personally I don't think they should let him walk unless the money is just outrageous.  If he does leave, I think we may have to really commit to running the ball more which could be a good thing because of using more time for drives.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You may have already said this many times and I never caught it but how much money would you give Wes?

$8 to $9 mill per year, 3 years, $16 mill guaranteed.  Good deal, fair deal, imo.  

Wes turned down 16 mil guaranteed last year I thought? I would prefer around the 7-8mil but I have a feeling Wes or his agent is trying to get more per and more guaranteed than what you are suggesting.

IF that is the case, and I have absolutley no idea what is going on, no one does, do you still think the Pats are messing up? What if Wes is asking 9 mil per for 3 years with 21 guaranteed?

I love Wes but I just don't want to spend that kind of money on WR's. I just don't value the position as highly as some.

Last time I checked Randy Moss, Larry Fitgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, etc, have not won any superbowls yet. I am sure everyone will be quick to point out if I messed up on any of those guys.

True but at least those players did not potentially hamstring you from having a wider and deeper depth across the entire roster. 

Only if they use the money to add talent to the roster and not use it on dead money from the 4-5 mid teir guys they bring in and cut in camp. Those $500k-1mil signing bonuses begin to add up once they are cut every year. If that difference is the difference between Welker or Amendola wouldn't you be a bit ticked off?

Yes and no. I agree in principle but I think the Pats do a very good job of not really giving much of anything in bonus and guarantees to the guys they think or more just competition without a decent shot of making the team or having an impact.

I also do not think the Pats hardline over 500,000 or 1 mil for a guy they "really" want. ...but maybe they do.?

..and if the "player" does by selecting the extra $500,000 or Mil to go play for a team that is not going anywhere then do you really want that type of guy anyway?

Also if you spend the added totals you and I are speaking of on 1 player and then that player goes to IR then where's the depth and money to sort the issue? Diminished on both counts? It will most likely be an even bigger drop off from the starter because of what you can afford and may or may not take an even longer time for that player to come up to speed if you did not bring that guy in for all of training camp because you could not afford to sign him.

There is probably a fine line to the advantage and disadvantages of both philosophies and most likely the Pats try to walk that sweet spot of value.

Low they spent 2mil on Fanene in dead money, 1.5mil on Bodden dead money, 500k on Gallery on dead money. The list goes on and on. It's not the 1mil difference that's the problem it's the 6-7mil in total when added up that is a huge problem. That 6-7mil in dead money over 10-13 players they signed then cut could have gone to a starter or been used to resign their own players.

Take Sameul for instances. How much money and how many draft picks have they used to try to replace him? How about Law? How about Seymour or McGinest?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Low they spent 2mil on Fanene in dead money, 1.5mil on Bodden dead money, 500k on Gallery on dead money. The list goes on and on. It's not the 1mil difference that's the problem it's the 6-7mil in total when added up that is a huge problem. That 6-7mil in dead money over 10-13 players they signed then cut could have gone to a starter or been used to resign their own players.

Take Sameul for instances. How much money and how many draft picks have they used to try to replace him? How about Law? How about Seymour or McGinest?

OK the Fanene thing is the rare exception. That whole situation was off. How do you mess up the medical thing.

I don't remember the bodden thing. Wasn't he already under contract and just returning from injury but never the same again? If that was true what are you going to do about that and Bodden played very well here.

Semour was like Revis always wanting to renegotiate but more importantly is identifying who the players are that the Pats would "not" have signed if they had coffed up big money for certain guys and if those players were contributors to the team.

It is not always about who you signs but who you lose out on by signing a player to too much money.

Asante is a great example of how people never want to look at the whole picture. The Pats had a plan for Asante. That was the year they tried to aggressively trade up for Revis. Mangini left, stole the play book, was the DC, knew who the Pats liked and how much they liked him in the draft. I laugh hysterically whenever I hear Tannenbaum tell the story about how Revis was his baby and he kicked everyone out of the room etc. No way I believe that, ever. That whole thing right there is what prolonged the problems with the DB's through the lean years in the draft at the DB position. ...and even though Asante has been good elsewhere, do you really believe he played to his contract? He is onto his 3rd team now right? 

Law left after 2004. The Pats had arguably their best defense in 2006 and again very good defense in 2007. What's the big deal there. Wasn't it him saying something about having to feed his family? or was that milloy? Can't remember.

The Pats are far from perfect with all their moves but I get the thinking most of the time. Whether that thinking or plan comes to fruition and "always" works out or not is another story.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

I sure hope there is something in the works now that Welker is gone. I bet Brady does as well after re doing his deal to be team friendly now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Put this string to bed!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

WHAT A JOKE!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Rusty, was this a bad throw? 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000128922/Boldin-does-it-again

What about this?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000128921/AFC-Championship-Can-t-Miss-Play-Boldin-s-wild-grab

Or this one?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000128904/Boldin-makes-leaping-catch

As I said, it takes two to tango...

With all due respect, and I agree with you it takes two to tango AND Welker is not excused, those catches by Boldin you posted are very nice and he catchesa couple of them away from the body but I believe all of them are on target, just over the defender, and one that was underthrown but "in-line" as well.

Those catches while nice looking because they are caught away from the body with the hands are significantly easier to make "in-line" than twisting behind you "off-line". Boldin turns and falls forward after making the catch not while making it because the throws are inline.

The first one he barely needs to leap and the ball is only about hemlet crown height as he's falling back.

The second one is so on target he comes down standing up on his feet.

The third one a lil bit arc'd, Boldin stops, turns around and catches it in the middle alignment of his body.

At least Flacco had to make some of those throws where he did because Boldin was blanketed by the Pats.

What made Brady's throw so horrendous was there was absolutely ZERO need for it. He did not need to throw his WR open. The WR(Wes) was wide open. It could not have been an easier or better gift wrapped throw for TB to make in a critical situation.

Yes both players squeezed that ball too tightly in the biggest moment but at least Wes had a significantly more difficult play to try and make than TB. That's just the facts.

Good luck