This is getting RIDICULOUS!! Sign Welker today!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: This is getting RIDICULOUS!! Sign Welker today!

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

You may have already said this many times and I never caught it but how much money would you give Wes?

$8 to $9 mill per year, 3 years, $16 mill guaranteed.  Good deal, fair deal, imo.  

Wes turned down 16 mil guaranteed last year I thought? I would prefer around the 7-8mil but I have a feeling Wes or his agent is trying to get more per and more guaranteed than what you are suggesting.

IF that is the case, and I have absolutley no idea what is going on, no one does, do you still think the Pats are messing up? What if Wes is asking 9 mil per for 3 years with 21 guaranteed?

I love Wes but I just don't want to spend that kind of money on WR's. I just don't value the position as highly as some.

Last time I checked Randy Moss, Larry Fitgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, etc, have not won any superbowls yet. I am sure everyone will be quick to point out if I messed up on any of those guys.

Yes but nether has Jaber Gaffney or Reche Caldwell or Donte Stallworth

True but at least those players did not potentially hamstring you from having a wider and deeper depth across the entire roster. 

Which is far more important in my humble opinion and my main point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

You may have already said this many times and I never caught it but how much money would you give Wes?

$8 to $9 mill per year, 3 years, $16 mill guaranteed.  Good deal, fair deal, imo.  

Wes turned down 16 mil guaranteed last year I thought? I would prefer around the 7-8mil but I have a feeling Wes or his agent is trying to get more per and more guaranteed than what you are suggesting.

IF that is the case, and I have absolutley no idea what is going on, no one does, do you still think the Pats are messing up? What if Wes is asking 9 mil per for 3 years with 21 guaranteed?

I love Wes but I just don't want to spend that kind of money on WR's. I just don't value the position as highly as some.

Last time I checked Randy Moss, Larry Fitgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, etc, have not won any superbowls yet. I am sure everyone will be quick to point out if I messed up on any of those guys.

It was a smart move by Welker to refuse last seasons offer, had he done so this season would be his last on that contract.  He made $9.5 mill guaranteed last season, he needs to also look out for himself, if he feels he has a few more years left in him to play at the level he is at then he made the perfect move last season in declining that contract.  The Patriots need to look at how many years does Welker have left in him and what effect does he have on this offense.  After last season I would say he clearly has a few years left in him and he has a trmendous effect on the success of the offense.

I get you points about other big time receivers not winning SB's.  But this is a team sport, there are other factors and a QB is the biggest factor.  But the Patriots can't continue to let Brady try and do it all himself.  Bottom line is you gotta ask yourself what type of success would the Patriots have without Welker?  Last year would have been horrible with Edelman out, Gronk and Hernandez swapping places on the bench.  With all things considered, this team is much better with Welker on it then they would be without him on it.  If last season didn't show that then I must be watching the wrong games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

TFB12, buddy, take a deep breath and have a cold soda.  I love your posts but please don't have a myocardial infarction over Welker for crying out loud.  

LOL!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Too late. I am just surprised no one knew TFB12 was Mrs Welker this whole time.

You know what.. Name calling doesn't bother me.  As I continue to point out facts why it would be in the best interest for the Patriots to sign and keep Welker, much the same as I did when the Patriots were not signing Moss to an extension and then ended up realeasing him (how well did that work out for us?  I was correct on that one too!), you continue to call names and don't provide any facts or ideas on how the Patriots would get better letting Welker walk.  The only thing you point to is age, heck Welker proved last season that he he is still a huge reason for the Patriots success while the younger guys were hurt on the bench.  So you tell me , how do you get the production on offense if you let Welker go?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

As I continue to point out facts why it would be in the best interest for the Patriots to sign and keep Welker, much the same as I did when the Patriots were not signing Moss to an extension and then ended up realeasing him (how well did that work out for us?  I was correct on that one too!)

Moss hasn't done anything since leaving NE.  Are you serious?  We could have brought him back on the cheap many times and chose not to (despite the fact that he said publicly he would come back).  Come on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

All true, but at the end of the day, no one player is above the team here in NE. I felt BB should have called Mankins's bluff, too. He called Moss's. I wanted Mankins out of here for a 2nd rd pick.

Hahaha!  And how did that Moss decision workout?  They are still trying to fill his spot.  Same thing will happen with Welker if they let him go.  Brady doesn't have the time to wait for the Patriots to fill Welkers spot too!  The release cost the Patriots at least 1 super bowl ring, possibly two.  Do you really want to have that be the case with the loss of Welker?  Come on!  Pull your head out. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

As I continue to point out facts why it would be in the best interest for the Patriots to sign and keep Welker, much the same as I did when the Patriots were not signing Moss to an extension and then ended up realeasing him (how well did that work out for us?  I was correct on that one too!)

Moss hasn't done anything since leaving NE.  Are you serious?  We could have brought him back on the cheap many times and chose not to (despite the fact that he said publicly he would come back).  Come on.

Moss was begging for a contract extension... Begging!! The Patriots weren't willing to pay him.   And if I remember correctly the time they signed Ocho they approached Moss for a 1 year contract which he refused wanting a multi year contract.  Was that not the case?  I sure remember reading and hearing that at the time.  Fact is Moss wanted an extension, Pats weren't willing do so and it ultimatly hurt the team going forward. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Moss was begging for a contract extension... Begging!! The Patriots weren't willing to pay him.   And if I remember correctly the time they signed Ocho they approached Moss for a 1 year contract which he refused wanting a multi year contract.  Was that not the case?  I sure remember reading and hearing that at the time.  Fact is Moss wanted an extension, Pats weren't willing do so and it ultimatly hurt the team going forward.

Moss has contributed practically nothing to an NFL team in 3 years.  Get real.  Aren't you the guy that argues Welker is so great because he still put up numbers with bad QBs throwing to him in Miami?  Moss hasn't done anything since leaving NE regardless of who was throwing to him.  Just because we haven't replaced him doesn't mean he was a good option going forward.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Haven't read any of this thread, but given the public posturing, I think things bode well for the pats, and Welker (or his agent, which is an extension of him) is looking like the boy who cried wolf. 

"I am really mad now!"  "I am seriously considering leaving."

Now if Welker had a similar offer from another team as the pats and chose out of principle to leave, that would be ballsy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Did you ever think that the whole reason why we didn't win SB 42 or SB 46 is because Brady became too fixated on 1-2 targets because they work so well MOST of the time, but not all of the time?

Like I said above, what if BB got my memo? lol

Maybe the way to fix Brady in the postseason is see a second divorce?  We saw it with Moss. Maybe it needs to happen with Welker?  Maybe now is the time with him demanding 10 mil per at age 32?

Maybe Earl Bennett, FB Michael Robinson and Danny Amendola are better than 1 Wes Welker?

Hmm.

Why do you keep suggesting Earl Bennett? At least wait until he is actually available!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

IMO here is the bottom line with Wes.  He won't represent a good value for a team that does not have a top tier QB because so much of his game relies on precision and being on the same page as the QB.  Consider the other top QBs in the league. 

Peyton already has Decker and Thomas and while Welker would be an upgrade over Stokely given the money Denver just dished out to beef up their O-line idk if they have the space to give Welker the kind of deal he wants.

Rodgers already  has Cobb who does a lot of the same stuff as Welker and is a lot younger and cheaper.

Brees is out because the Saints have huge salary cap issues.

Ryan already has Jones and White and T Gonzalez.  While Wes would fill a different role they need to fix their pass rush and will probably spend money on defense to the extent they have any after paying Gonzalez.

Wes doesn't fit in the type of offense they run in Baltimore and they don't have the cap space.

The Giants already have Cruz who plays a lot from the slot and they don't have the cap space.

The Texans are already paying a lot for Andre Johnson and probably don't want to commit that much money to their WR corps.

The Cowboys have no cap space.

The 49ers just added Boldin so they probably don't want to spend more money on WR with Crabtree already in the fold.

The Seahawks just added Harvin.

Pittsburgh doesnt have enough cap space.

Washington doesn't have the cap space and wants to bolster their secondary.

So basically with the exception of the Colts (who have already spent quite a bit) and the Bengals there really aren't any teams with cap space and either a top QB or a young and promising QB left.  The market for Wes simply isn't that large imo.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I'm going to have to agree with pcm. Though the Pats didn't have any replacement (and haven't since) for Moss, Moss really hasn't proved much since he left so you have to wonder if he would have provided anything here. Even in his final last half of a season (going into the last 1/4 of 09') his production was clearly dropping. If anythin we should be mad that they are still looking for an accetable replacement not that they let Moss go

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Yes but nether has Jaber Gaffney or Reche Caldwell or Donte Stallworth

True but at least those players did not potentially hamstring you from having a wider and deeper depth across the entire roster. 

Which is far more important in my humble opinion and my main point.

Only if they use the money to add talent to the roster and not use it on dead money from the 4-5 mid teir guys they bring in and cut in camp. Those $500k-1mil signing bonuses begin to add up once they are cut every year. If that difference is the difference between Welker or Amendola wouldn't you be a bit ticked off?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

these are all the facts we need to know as fans...

No one player is bigger than the team concept, and they won't do anything they deem fiscally irresponsible. The Pats have Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman available as fallback options. Welker turns 32 in May and his market around the league has been soft. New England still maintains a big leverage leg up.

$8-9M/per year for a 32 year old dwarf slot receiver who has dropped all of the biggest passes of his career? hahahaha thank baby jesus that the Patriots Wes Welker fans aren't running the show in Foxboro.

Umm, the 8 receptions he had against the Texans and Ravens in the playoffs this year weren't big passes? He had a big 3rd down grab against the Ravens where he got absolutely wallopped and still hung on. Receivers drop passes, it happens, but you can't see that because you're so blinded by your hate for Welker. Nice avatar by the way...lol

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Haven't read any of this thread, but given the public posturing, I think things bode well for the pats, and Welker (or his agent, which is an extension of him) is looking like the boy who cried wolf. 

"I am really mad now!"  "I am seriously considering leaving."

Now if Welker had a similar offer from another team as the pats and chose out of principle to leave, that would be ballsy.

That has been my feeling as well. 

It comes across as his agent not getting any play from other teams. As if they are collectively saying "hey we know Wes will stay with NE so we are not going to waste our time, energy or focus just helping you try and raise his leverage and price"

So he puts it out there that no really this time Wes is really ready to leave the Patriots, really. Make us an offer.

1) Wes either has a better offer and decides to go on the spot no hesitation.

2) Wes has a better offer and gives the Pats a chance to match or counter. (What teams are worried about wasting time with)

3) Wes has an amazing offer and the Pats say hey awesome for you, you should take it.

4) Wes and Pats stop playing twist the truth in the media with reporter pawns and Wes signs the deal the Pats gave him.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts