This is Impossible Right?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This is Impossible Right?

I think the biggest (rule change) is being able to bring back an injured player,” Kraft said. “Even the year with Brady and the Kansas City game, he possibly could have come back at the end of that year. He actually wanted to, I remember the discussion. I think all that does is just allow us to keep the game more exciting for those teams that make it to the playoffs, it’s a great opportunity to be able to do that. I think it’s a very positive thing.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/03/26/patriots-owner-robert-kraft-endorses-the-ir-exemption-says-tom-brady-wanted-to-return-in-2008/

I mean who knows how much of this is true and what would have happened if it was within the rules at the time, but this just seems crazy.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: This is Impossible Right?

Brady had some complications arise from the knee surgery that resulted in a staph infection so I really don't think he could have returned near the end of the season.  He tore his ACL and his MCL.  That takes time to recover.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

If they are truly healed & ready....I see zero reason why they shouldn't be able to play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I never really understood the reasoning behind the IR thing.  It just seems stupid to have a player sit out an entire season if he could possibly be back healthy before the end of the regular season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree it's a stupid rule but they made the rule so you couldn't stockpile players on IR that are actually not hurt (like what happens in MLB).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Im glad they are looking at fixing IR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

In Response to Re: This is Impossible Right?:
    [QUOTE]I never really understood the reasoning behind the IR thing.  It just seems stupid to have a player sit out an entire season if he could possibly be back healthy before the end of the regular season.
    Posted by Salcon[/QUOTE]

Because it provides salary cap relief. unless you are 100% sure the player is coming back you might as well ir him, and take that salarycap money and pickup a replacement player.
    The colts should have done that last year, oh wait the colts are run by idiots and tanked on pupouse. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

To be able to selectively return a player to active status from the IR would be a significant plus for any team.  I doubt this would have had any effect on Brady; his knee was a fargin' disaster between the ACL, MCL and subsequent infections.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from df5. Show df5's posts

All good reasons. Plus,if you were able to take injured players off the IR there is nodoubt in my mind that teams would pressure/force guys that were still hurt into playing.

It's a can of worms we don't need to open.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fessin. Show fessin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Impossible Right? : Because it provides salary cap relief. unless you are 100% sure the player is coming back you might as well ir him, and take that salarycap money and pickup a replacement player. The colts should have done that last year, oh wait the colts are run by idiots and tanked on pupouse. 
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

It doesn't provide any salary cap relief.  Only time it does if there was a provision in the players contract that states he only get half of his salary if he is placed on injured reserve.  This usually only happens with late-round draft picks or an undrafted rookies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

it does not matter. the pats will not be in better position relative to other teams as a result of this change.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I think if a player can come back he should. I always thought the IR thing was rediculous.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

It doesn't provide any salary cap relief.  Only time it does if there was a provision in the players contract that states he only get half of his salary if he is placed on injured reserve.  This usually only happens with late-round draft picks or an undrafted rookies

^ the truth. If they agree to change this rule they need limitations like you cant come back after week 10 or if you come back you can't go on IR 2 times and come back. It would be too much like the DL in baseball.

Why don't they just expand the practice squad and allow you to replace a regular player with a PS player and when the player comes back the other guy goes back on the PS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]I agree it's a stupid rule but they made the rule so you couldn't stockpile players on IR that are actually not hurt (like what happens in MLB).
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

So the way to fix that is to say that if a player is added to the roster you have to designate what IR player CANNOT come back. And if you do not add someone to the roster there is no prohibition to bringing any players back.

Simple.  OK, now make it so.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Impossible Right? : So the way to fix that is to say that if a player is added to the roster you have to designate what IR player CANNOT come back. And if you do not add someone to the roster there is no prohibition to bringing any players back. Simple.  OK, now make it so.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

or somehow incorporate the PUP rule into the season
    ie, player has 6 -8 weeks to either return or be IRd for balance of season, but could become eligble again for playoffs, if say injured after week 10( 11 whenever all byes are done).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

At least the rules have a chance to be fair now the Polians arn't making them for themselves lol.

Sections
Shortcuts