This is my plan and Im sticking to it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

This is my plan and Im sticking to it

Taking my first steps into this years draft/off season thread. The first moves in free agency as I see it will be to lock up our own…First we must see to locking up Talib, then Hooman, and Fletcher. Hooman and Fletcher will be cost effective and are reasonable backups. Next from out side the organization I would like to sign quality back ups for areas of need, TE and DE. Here I would peruse Scott Chandler and Jared Alen as I see them at a reasonable rate. Lastly  I find that Edelman will be far to expensive for what he brings to the table. You must realize that Amendola, Boyce, T j Moe, also provide the same skill sets. So financially and personnel options will make it prohibitive to sign Edelman to that 5-7 Million dollar range that he will easily command. The 7 mill that will have gone to Edelman will cover the costs of  all the free agent mentioned to sign minus Talib.  So you get Hooman, Fletcher, Chandler and Allen for the price of Edelman.

Now moving into the draft as I see the board and the priorities in needs…I find our most glaring need is the weakness and ageing interior DL. This being an area where we need an impact player, and starter I would not pick any lower than our pick 29. My pick at 29 is Rashede Haseman. Bringing in a quality DT help prepare for VW’s retirement and allows us to release a few pricy veteran back ups, aiding the cap. Kelly and Sopoaga, count as over 4.656 mill.

The second most glaring problem comes on offence…The paring of Wendell and Connolly is atrocious…they are going to gat TB killed. Both WERE adequate back up but neither were starter quality, need less being over paid to the tune of 4 mill. First I would release Connolly out right and make the move of Cannon to RG leaving a need for a starting quality C. This being said I see taking Weston Richburg with our second round pick. With the starting OL in place our only consideration being as depth. Maybe Wendell  will come back at a back up pay scale….But in cutting Connolly we save 3 Mill…added to the savings at DT (4.656 mill) we are now at 7.656 MILL.

And the last glaring hole on this team is at SS, not that the team hasn't tried  to address itBut I think we need to take another swing….We definitely need a young hard hitter…

With the 3rd pick I would make the move for Deone Bucannon. This move makes a necessary couple of cuts possible.  Both A Willson and S Gregory combine for 4.05 Mill…that combined with the previous cuts bring the cap relief  to a total of  11.706 mill.

So far we have upgraded our 3 weakest areas and still saved 11.706 Mill on the cap

Next in an area of strength I would look to upgrade depth wise at LB… with the loss of Spikes, and Fletcher being our top back up, I would pick Christian Jones with the 4th pick to continue the habit of fresh young LB’s moving threw the system.  So we are well protected in the area if we get hit with the injury bug and lose to starting LB’s again…..Quality free agent LB’s are hard to find and afford…

Currently I believe we have no 5th, so we move on to our pare of 6th rd picks…but before that I’ll take a snap shot of   areas covered…

At DT we now have: VW, Rashede Haseman, Sealver Siliga  Cory Grissom, and Chris Jones.

At Safety we now have: Mccourty, Deone Bucannon, Harmond and T Wilson, Ebner

At CB unchanged: Talib, Dennard, Ryan,Arrington,

At LB we have: Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Fletcher and Jones.

At DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Allen, Armstead,     24 players

So far that D does not look bad going into camp… on to the O…

First off I believe Blount will have competitive offers and even if we lose him we still are in fine shape with Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, and Develin, but it would be nice to keep him.

Next I do not see TE as a glaring need as the media seems to guess….We have one of the premier TE’s in the game with Gronk.  Hooman proved to be an adequate back up. In signing Chandler you also have a young successful combination TE   But I would take a flyer on a late pick in the H back move TE. With the 7th pick I would take Richard Rodgers as a developmental prospect…

At WR I believe all the parts are here as we really loaded up last year with both size and speed. with startes Dobson, Amendola, Boyce, Thompkins, making the second year jump. Being challenged by more size by Mark Harrison and Greg Ortin, and the speed of T.J. Moe.  I do NOT see any contract considered in this area over 3.5 mill per year for 1-2 years.

At QB if Mallott cant get us at least a 3rd  I see him remaining with the team and possibly getting the original pick tag next year. If by chance we get a sucker I mean taker we will find a vet back up…

Lastly the offensive weakness that effects both the run and passing game. Although we are strong and deep at the OT spot with Vollmer, Soldier, Cannon in a pinch and the current back ups in competition with draft pick Cornelius Lucas  for the last OT spot.

Now we move to the heart of the problem….the interior OL of which we only have one starting quality player….In starting Cannon at guard we are getting the BEST four OL men on the field at the same time. So we are left with the heart….the C position has NO quality options…In avoidance of   signing a high priced FA would chose to get a starting quality pick in the draft…. Which would require at least a second rd pick, that being Weston Richburg C…                                                       

Also with my last pick a 6th would look for competition on the IOL with Russell Bodine G/C. As I see it with Connolly and Wendell starting and the rest of the competition UN able to supplant them we need new completion….

QB: TB, Mallott

TE:  Gronk, Chandler,Hooman,Richard Rodgers

RB:   Ridley, Vereen,  Bolden,  Develin

WR:  Amendola, Dobson,  Thompkins,  Boyce,  Mark Harrison,  T J Moe,  Slater…

OT:   Soldier, Vollmer, (Cannon in emergency), Best of Josh Kline and Cornelius Lucas and Markus Zusevics…

C:      Weston Richburg, plus best of Wendell (if he takes back up pay), and Chris Barker

G:      Manikins, Cannon, plus best of Josh Kline, and Russell Bovine

49 players not counting STs

More significant cap savings with cuts resulting from this roster:Bequette .440 mill, White .645 mill,  DJ Williams .645 mill,  and Forston .57 mill for a total of  2.3 mill added to the earlier savings of  11.706 gives a total cap savings of  just over 14 mill…

This cap savings is equivalent to the signing price of  all my FA’s…Talib,Hooman,  Fletcher, Allen and Chandler….

I also believe both VW and Mankins will be asked to rework their contract to hopefully get cap relief to extend players like Mccourty…

WE may also get compensatory picks for Welker and Chung…

This is my plan and im sticking to it…….till the parameters change…..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPatsFan12. Show NYPatsFan12's posts

Re: This is my plan and Im sticking to it

^bustchise?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to NYPatsFan12's comment:

^bustchise?

This is why I rarely post here....

total soap opera

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Upgrading in key areas of need: OL, DT, WR and SS/FS is great when you have the picks.  There are only so many "big name" picks out there to go around.  The Pats simply have to do their homework and make picks that will result is sound additions which add quality of play to the team.  Is it nice to have Pro-Bowl caliber players, yes, but, what the Pats need are players who perform.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Mostly good thoughts, but I don't see Jared Allen being affordable at all. He'll get $20 mil + in guaranteed money from some team like Oakland with crazy cap space. He's still pretty close to the top of his game, no major injuries, only 31. Cross him off. He might take a discount to be on a winner, but not that much.

I don't know about adding a vet receiver, not a name FA at least. Would love a Roddy White in trade, but I don't see it as a major priority for limited FA funds. If Edelman stays, they probably don't do much of anything there. If he walks, maybe a Maclin or maybe a lower level vet, like a Ted Ginn who can help in the return game. Wouldn't mind Jacoby Jones, but probably too pricey. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Mostly good thoughts, but I don't see Jared Allen being affordable at all. He'll get $20 mil + in guaranteed money from some team like Oakland with crazy cap space. He's still pretty close to the top of his game, no major injuries, only 31. Cross him off. He might take a discount to be on a winner, but not that much.

Well, what does Jared Allen want? I can see Tuck doing what you're saying. He has rings, but Allen does not.

Can Allen play 3-4?  That'd be my question.  I don't think so, he seems a little light, but maybe he'd be ok on the weakside at 3-4 DE?

Nink, Kelly, Silliga/Vince, Allen, C. Jones

Hightower, Mayo/Collins

Allen will be 32.  The question is, do you want money or a ring. I'd draw up a 2 year deal with some incentives and just tell him he's got 2 years to come try for a ring.

Arthur Jones will probably command more than Jared Allen.  Just a hunch. I'd rather have Jones, but he may be out of the price range.  That is of course, Chandler has some leverage there.

The ideal move would be Arthur Jones.   He'd be like a more consistent Jarvis Green. Be a great 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT with his brother to his right.

Jones would be a better scheme fit than Allen, but Allen still has that major skill that the Pats could use. Would look pretty good coming off the edge.

Neither will be cheap. Allen is a big name guy, still playing pretty well. I can see some bottom feeding team with cap space looking to make a splash and offer him stupid money for three or four years. Maybe he'd rather play for a contender than go for the $, but I just don't see him settling for a major discount. 

Indy has cap space too, he'd fit well there. Maybe Green Bay.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Maybe Allen gets what Dumervil got from Baltimore, plus a little (because he's better). He got 5 years, $26 mil with $8.5 guaranteed. So, maybe 5/$30-ish with $10 to $12 guaranteed?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

Overall, good stuff. I like a lot of it. I admit I didn't read it all because it was just too long, but I like the approach.

I also like you go after the lower hanging fruit asap like Fletcher and Hooman. I noticed Blount is not on the list, but I would go ahead and offer him a 2 year deal. He loves it here, and like Talib, he won't be offered as much as people think, IMO.  When you have players who only respond to a certain envrionment or coach, that hurts their market value.

I sort of stopped reading at the "atrocious" line with Wendell and Connolly. I guess the line needs a whipping boy or two, and it's never Mankie.  No one says a word about the line when Brady isn't throwing 45+ times.  When he does, out come the complainers. Wendell is a very good run blocker and much better with Brady under Center. I don't know why this is so difficult.  Connolly is a bit bigger and may be able to hold up better at the position epecially with the shot gun spread addiction apparently not going away.

I think Connolly is good at C/G and I would restructure/extend him and  move him to C, walking from Wendell because I like what I saw from Josh Kline. Very impressive work for a rookie.

Overall, like the Chandler and Jared Allen FA moves if the pricing is right. Jusin Tuck would be another choice if not Allen as well.

If Edelman gets some bloated offer elsewhere, I would definitely look at a WR like Sanders, Maclin, Austin or Boldin. You have to bring in someone who has experience other than Amendola.

What Queenie?  You're now on board with Boldin?  Hmmm, it was just last week when you claimed he was too old.  I guess the bludgeoning you took really convinced you of what an idiot you are.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Now Melly Vanilli is posting cat pictures?  What does Reach Around Rusty think about that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Maybe Allen gets what Dumervil got from Baltimore, plus a little (because he's better). He got 5 years, $26 mil with $8.5 guaranteed. So, maybe 5/$30-ish with $10 to $12 guaranteed?

from what I have been reading, Allen had a significant drop off in 13, and no longer can be an impact 3 down player. At his age the wall comes quick. I see him as a rotational player. In that role he could still be an impact player. I also think his value now as a rotational player would be @ 5.5 mill per, laden with preformance incentives, for 1 to 2 years.

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts