This is the best thing for Tom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

This is the best thing for Tom

I know that I will get bashed for this and get sarcastic responses, but Wes going to Denver is the best thing to happen to Tom. Think about this, before Wes came to New England, Tom's favorite target was the open target on the footbal field. When Wes came along and was productive right a way for 6 years, he relied on Wes a lot and really handicapped the offense in a way. Tom would throw the football to Wes with 3 guys surrounding him when there were others that were possibly open. When you rely on one particular player so much, it will hamper the offense. This transaction will benefit Tom & the offense. Though its hard for a lot of fans to believe that, all you need to know is that they had success before Wes came along and they'll have success with Wes in Denver.

Look what happened when the 49ers went from Joe Montana to Steve Young back in the early 90's, they still had a lot of success without Joe Montana.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: This is the best thing for Tom

Ummm, sure it is!  People close to him share your thoughts....... Not!

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT

In the aftermath of the news that the Patriots lost receiver Wes Welker to the Broncos, a source close to New England quarterback Tom Brady was “beyond enraged” by the news.

Another (or perhaps the same) source close to Brady continues to talk after the decision to replace Welker with Danny Amendola.  And the source close to Brady isn’t very happy.

“He’s got so much pressure on his shoulders now — again,” the source close to Brady told Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “If the offense doesn’t perform at a high level, they’re screwed.  This is unbelievable.  It’s hard not to feel like they’ve sold him out.”

It’s easy to understand that sentiment.  Two weeks and two days after Brady agreed to a contract extension that created $15 million in cap space over the next two years, the Pats refused to spend $12 million of it on Welker.

The end result, per the source close to Brady, is that Brady “will feel like he’s been pierced in the heart.”

That’s a little extreme.  After all, the Patriots won three Super Bowls without Welker, and they’ve won none with him.  They continue to have an aggressive, versatile offense, and they’ll surely continue to be serious contenders in the AFC.

Still, with all the hype regarding the question of whether and to what extent Brady “took less” and whether the Patriots would parlay that gesture into a decision to keep players like Welker around, it’s hard not to wonder whether Brady will be upset.

We already know that one or more sources close to him are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

I kind of agree. This'll shake things up. But Tom still has some very good skill players around him. He may do a better job getting the ball to his targets.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

He threw to Welker a lot because Welker was his best receiver. It's not like he didn't throw to Gronk, Hern, and Lloyd a lot too.  The reason he gets fewer guys involved now is because there has been a big drop off in talent between the top three or four receivers and everyone else.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to millergrnv's comment:

I know that I will get bashed for this and get sarcastic responses, but Wes going to Denver is the best thing to happen to Tom. Think about this, before Wes came to New England, Tom's favorite target was the open target on the footbal field. When Wes came along and was productive right a way for 6 years, he relied on Wes a lot and really handicapped the offense in a way. Tom would throw the football to Wes with 3 guys surrounding him when there were others that were possibly open. When you rely on one particular player so much, it will hamper the offense. This transaction will benefit Tom & the offense. Though its hard for a lot of fans to believe that, all you need to know is that they had success before Wes came along and they'll have success with Wes in Denver.

Look what happened when the 49ers went from Joe Montana to Steve Young back in the early 90's, they still had a lot of success without Joe Montana.

Horrendous comparison.

Before Wes, he was throwing to Reche Caldwell and Doug Gabriel...and they lost because of it.

And it's not so much that this style of offense has led to their playoff failures...it's also the fact that their defense doesn't make plays during the playoffs.

Look at how many points the offense scored on average during the pre-Wes days. And then look at what kind of plays the defense made. 

The first Super Bowl...they only scored 13 points on offense! They won because of the D

Got a billion picks against the Colts in those Manning games and even in Super Bowl 39.

Pats haven't lost because Welker takes up too much of Tom's focus, it's because the defense doesnt make plays...and his next best option is consistently hurt in the playoffs.

And just to add on, Welker going to the Detroit Lions wouldve been better than Welker to the Broncos in Tom's perspective

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm actually sort of excited about this even though it's sad to see Wes go. I think it is a move that will pay off in the long run. Welker is only getting slower and has started dropping more and more balls. I still think that we need to draft an outside receiver early this year, though. I think that is what Brady really needs. Someone else who can get open downfield and actually catch the ball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Yep, I can see Brandon Llyod and Deion Branch becoming real game breakers without Welker.

Please. Kamar Aiken.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

Tom looked for Wes cause he was the only one that could stay off the IR. All of his "skill" players from last year spent a good amount of time watching than playing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Amendola has excellent hands, Welker one of the worst. Check the stats.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4740923/welker-vs-amendola-as-a-slot-receiver

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tman0325. Show tman0325's posts

STOP, STOP, STOP- Tom can not even by found right now nevermind people having info on his feelings.  Maybe Tom's deal had him taking less because he figured Wes would take less to allow for the signing of defensive help.  Maybe Tom is pissed at Wes and not Bill

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Ummm, sure it is!  People close to him share your thoughts....... Not!

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT

In the aftermath of the news that the Patriots lost receiver Wes Welker to the Broncos, a source close to New England quarterback Tom Brady was “beyond enraged” by the news.

Another (or perhaps the same) source close to Brady continues to talk after the decision to replace Welker with Danny Amendola.  And the source close to Brady isn’t very happy.

“He’s got so much pressure on his shoulders now — again,” the source close to Brady told Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “If the offense doesn’t perform at a high level, they’re screwed.  This is unbelievable.  It’s hard not to feel like they’ve sold him out.”

It’s easy to understand that sentiment.  Two weeks and two days after Brady agreed to a contract extension that created $15 million in cap space over the next two years, the Pats refused to spend $12 million of it on Welker.

The end result, per the source close to Brady, is that Brady “will feel like he’s been pierced in the heart.”

That’s a little extreme.  After all, the Patriots won three Super Bowls without Welker, and they’ve won none with him.  They continue to have an aggressive, versatile offense, and they’ll surely continue to be serious contenders in the AFC.

Still, with all the hype regarding the question of whether and to what extent Brady “took less” and whether the Patriots would parlay that gesture into a decision to keep players like Welker around, it’s hard not to wonder whether Brady will be upset.

We already know that one or more sources close to him are.

Yeah but I dont buy most of that article TFB. I doubt hes as mad as it says, and I doubt it came as that much of a shock to him. Im sure these things were discussed in his negotiations. Do we really think Tom and Bob got together and Tom said "ok, I'll restructure if you use the money to keep Wes", Bob said "ok, will do", and then didnt? Yeah, that would make Tom mad if it happened that way, but who wants to raise thier hand and say they think it did? My hand is not raised. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to tman0325's comment:

STOP, STOP, STOP- Tom can not even by found right now nevermind people having info on his feelings.  Maybe Tom's deal had him taking less because he figured Wes would take less to allow for the signing of defensive help.  Maybe Tom is pissed at Wes and not Bill

Did Tom get lost trying to find the bathroom in that giant house again?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to tman0325's comment:

As likely as the other. No one knows, and guys like this reporter like to stir crap to make a name for themselves.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

I'm actually sort of excited about this even though it's sad to see Wes go. I think it is a move that will pay off in the long run. Welker is only getting slower and has started dropping more and more balls. I still think that we need to draft an outside receiver early this year, though. I think that is what Brady really needs. Someone else who can get open downfield and actually catch the ball.

WW's wrost year on completion rate is about the same as Amendola's best completion rate year

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

He threw to Welker a lot because Welker was his best receiver. It's not like he didn't throw to Gronk, Hern, and Lloyd a lot too.  The reason he gets fewer guys involved now is because there has been a big drop off in talent between the top three or four receivers and everyone else.

This

Besides if you wanted to change up Brady's game then why did you get the guy who most compares to Welker? Makes zero sense if you are trying to change the offensive philosphy, well unless Amendola sucks or isn't in the field then you kind of force Brady to throw to other people thn his slot guy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Tom throws to Welker because Gronk, Hern, Stallworth, and Edleman are not on the field . . . Lloyd did have over 70 catches which is a good season by all standards . . . it is just that he has zero yards after the catch that hurts and because of this he will not get his bonus and he will be gone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

WW's wrost year on completion rate is about the same as Amendola's best completion rate year

And look at the quality of each player's quarterback. You can't tell me that doesn't have something to do with the completion rate. All I know is this: "Welker’s 11 drops last season were second-most in the NFL. Amendola’s drop rate (2.1 percent of targets dropped) rated second-lowest in the NFL." Per ESPN

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to magicalhobo's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

And look at the quality of each player's quarterback. You can't tell me that doesn't have something to do with the completion rate. All I know is this: "Welker’s 11 drops last season were second-most in the NFL. Amendola’s drop rate (2.1 percent of targets dropped) rated second-lowestin the NFL." Per ESPN

and I would take Welkers 16 reg season games over Amendola's 11 reg season games last year too. When you think about it Welker average just under 2 drops a game per every extra game he played over Amendola. I'd rather have that extra receiver with 2 drops then no receiver at all

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.