This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mainerguy. Show mainerguy's posts

Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!!

Given the way the Aussies tackle, we'd certainly never see a punt returned for six.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

can you say undefeated??? cuz he cant... LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

We do need an actual punter.  Ever see what Moorman does for the Bills?  Sick.  It CAN be an important position.  Sorry the Pats don't make you happy.  I'm still O.K. with them, though.  This is like high school, when one of your friends doesn't like another of your friends except.......... you are not my friend.  Sooooooooooo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!!:
    I thought you were a student. I'll bet my yearly wage also in that case. In Response to Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!! :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

I am, doesn't mean I don't work in the labs at school. I don't make much but enough to live off of.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

Hard to say why they did this but I think it could be to provide some competition for whoever they draft.
    Posted by DaBlade

Im sorry I see competition between two 22 year olds not a 22 year old and a 38 year old who just started kicking an american football.

And if this guy was coming in for FGs then i could understand...and for the person who posted the link for rugby i know what rugby is im not complaining i just dont see the point of signing this guy

Does anyone see the point besides "competition" there is not COMPETITION between this guy and a few 22 year old college guys who know how to kick its pointless is what im saying...

The American Football (skinny and pointed) is great for making accurate overhand spiral (torpedo) throws. The Rugby Football (fatter and less pointed) is great for dropping it on its end and kicking it through the uprights.  Anyway, both the Modern American Football and the modern Rugby Football evolved from the same extremely fat egg-shaped thingy with laces that was used by both codes in the 1800s.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

In Response to Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!! : Actually my impression is many of the threads are composed of angry, frustrated over reactions. I'd like to see a DE, an OLB, an OT, a WR (Benn would be nice) and later on a larger RB. Most of these high picks in these positions should be able help this year.  WR might take some time to develop.   I also expect they will pick up vets to fill the gaps.  Plenty of time for that. Has there ever been a draft in recent history when all made the team?
    Posted by croc

I rather see Thomas then Benn, and i LIke dwyer or mathews as RB and ywah last year...

but people think the draft is going to propel us to SB contenders and its not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!! : Im sorry I see competition between two 22 year olds not a 22 year old and a 38 year old who just started kicking an american football. And if this guy was coming in for FGs then i could understand...and for the person who posted the link for rugby i know what rugby is im not complaining i just dont see the point of signing this guy Does anyone see the point besides "competition" there is not COMPETITION between this guy and a few 22 year old college guys who know how to kick its pointless is what im saying... The American Football (skinny and pointed) is great for making accurate overhand spiral (torpedo) throws. The Rugby Football (fatter and less pointed) is great for dropping it on its end and kicking it through the uprights.  Anyway, both the Modern American Football and the modern Rugby Football evolved from the same extremely fat egg-shaped thingy with laces that was used by both codes in the 1800s.
    Posted by clarkeyj1

I don't think that you know what rugby is and how similar the ball is to Football.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

It's not only this years draft class.  It's a combination of the prior picks Mayo, Merriweather, Butler, Chung, Guyton, Pryor improving, and the vet core. The great thing about this year is most of the positions which they have the greatest need at are incorporated far easier.  ...This years draft should have a significant impact even if incrementally. Another OT on the order of Vollmer would go a long way in improving the O in many ways.  Improvement in the pass rush is going to make the DB's look much better.  An RB who can move the ball in the 4Q would be a significant addition.

The only 'splashy' vet WR they showed much interest in is Boldin.  The reason they might have a greater interest in Benn is he's considered a Boldin knockoff.  I'm sure other WR like Thomas are on their board as well.

My guess is they look at 2011 for their franchise RB, particularly with the Oak pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

the punter is 28 years old. not 38

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Croc - I like you line of thinking with the rb. I think this year 4th is a great place to grab a north/south power back that can get those short yards and still get a couple yards in the 4th quarter. Not a homerun hitter but we've needed that time consuming tough runner for a while now. The franchise back that would pair well with a power back might be Ingram coming out next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

the punter is 28 years old. not 38
    Posted by rebels1520

The guy is 38. Every article I have read said he was 38...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

It's not only this years draft class.  It's a combination of the prior picks Mayo, Merriweather, Butler, Chung, Guyton, Pryor improving, and the vet core. The great thing about this year is most of the positions which they have the greatest need at are incorporated far easier.  ...This years draft should have a significant impact even if incrementally. Another OT on the order of Vollmer would go a long way in improving the O in many ways.  Improvement in the pass rush is going to make the DB's look much better.  An RB who can move the ball in the 4Q would be a significant addition.   The only 'splashy' vet WR they showed much interest in is Boldin.  The reason they might have a greater interest in Benn is he's considered a Boldin knockoff.  I'm sure other WR like Thomas are on their board as well. My guess is they look at 2011 for their franchise RB, particularly with the Oak pick.
    Posted by croc

Yup well i agree with you to some extent, but i think actually Thomas is more of a boldin, with moss speed and hines ward blocking ability..

as far as RB goes Dwyer who was teammates with thomas reminds me of Turner and both of these guys havent been covered much... but thomas is getting some credit lately...

As far as next year... I am not so sure, the reason why this draft is so deep is becauseall the underclassment coming out due to whats going to happen next year with all the changes.. so it will be interesting to see...

I am just glad that mcnabb went to redskins and not oakland cus that would of screwed up a little up things a little bit...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!! : The guy is 38. Every article I have read said he was 38...
    Posted by clarkeyj1

I guess you missed the article on Boston.com!

FOXBOROUGH -- The newest addition to the Patriots roster just gave the media a lesson in Aussie rules football.

Punter David King signed with the Patriots yesterday a year and a half after he decided to pursue American football. King played semi pro Aussie rules football for Bundoora, Euroa and Norwood for the past seven years, and now he is ready for another challenge.

"I'd say it's a combination of soccer, American football, rugby and there's a sport called Gaelic football in Ireland," King said. "It's a combination of all of them on an oval field probably about 170 yards long and there's 36 guys on the field at any one time and the direction of play goes every which way, it's not just sort of up and down. It's a lot of body contact too."

While the rules are different than what is played in the NFL, King said he is taking every opportunity to learn as much as he can about the NFL. He has met with Bill Belichick and special teams coach Scott O'Brien.

"It's just a dream you know," said King, who is 28 years old. "I want to do something different that people back home really never do. It's throwing yourself out there in the deep end and it's a long process to get here and I just want to make sure people back home are proud of me."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

In Response to Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!! : I guess you missed the article on Boston.com! FOXBOROUGH -- The newest addition to the Patriots roster just gave the media a lesson in Aussie rules football. Punter David King signed with the Patriots yesterday a year and a half after he decided to pursue American football. King played semi pro Aussie rules football for Bundoora, Euroa and Norwood for the past seven years, and now he is ready for another challenge. "I'd say it's a combination of soccer, American football, rugby and there's a sport called Gaelic football in Ireland," King said. "It's a combination of all of them on an oval field probably about 170 yards long and there's 36 guys on the field at any one time and the direction of play goes every which way, it's not just sort of up and down. It's a lot of body contact too." While the rules are different than what is played in the NFL, King said he is taking every opportunity to learn as much as he can about the NFL. He has met with Bill Belichick and special teams coach Scott O'Brien. "It's just a dream you know," said King, who is 28 years old . "I want to do something different that people back home really never do. It's throwing yourself out there in the deep end and it's a long process to get here and I just want to make sure people back home are proud of me."
    Posted by m1021us

Considering what that i copied and pasted it directly it must of been a misprint yesterday then then I am completely fine with patriots bringing in this guy but at 38 it is a different story

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!! :   If BB thinks that MBTA driver is a worthy of a roster spot, then that's fine with me.  I also will be making my annual pilgrimage to Patriot Place to honor the great snow plow.
    Posted by BBRULES23

This right here^ is why the Pats have the best fans.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

apparently their are two guys with the same name

patriots signed the younger of the two

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!! : Yup well i agree with you to some extent, but i think actually Thomas is more of a boldin, with moss speed and hines ward blocking ability.. as far as RB goes Dwyer who was teammates with thomas reminds me of Turner and both of these guys havent been covered much... but thomas is getting some credit lately... As far as next year... I am not so sure, the reason why this draft is so deep is becauseall the underclassment coming out due to whats going to happen next year with all the changes.. so it will be interesting to see... I am just glad that mcnabb went to redskins and not oakland cus that would of screwed up a little up things a little bit...
    Posted by clarkeyj1

Dwyer has had multiple weight issues (even his old college coach said that they had trouble keeping his weight down). He also ran in a heavy run system, does this remind you of anyone? Can you say Len White?

Thomas is an interesting guy mainly do to his triangle numbers. He's a tough call but I'd like to see more of a route runner. The system he ran was overly simple and bearly touched 5 plays in the nfl receiver tree, even then he didn't run crisp routes. Add to that the S's and LB's crowding the line and it puts Thomas 1v1 with the cb. Given his triangle numbers it's hard for any cb to go 1v1 agianst someone his size without help overtop. To me he's the definition of a boom or bust player. If we didn't have as many holes or less need for sure players I would want him in a second. But, in this draft we need starters right away not players with high upside but also are extremely raw and ran less routes then some high school teams. I think they brought him in though and I'm sure they ran him through the white board. If they think he can handle the routes they will take a look otherwise I think they will pass.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

Patriots signed P David King.
    King, a former Aussie Rules player who goes 6'1/190 (assuming our centimeter and kilogram conversions are right), has been retired since 2004 and turned 38 last month. He didn't learn to punt, American style, until training in Arizona this spring. It's safe to say he's a long shot to stick around.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

In Response to Re: This is the Off season move Pats been looking for!!!! : Dwyer has had multiple weight issues (even his old college coach said that they had trouble keeping his weight down). He also ran in a heavy run system, does this remind you of anyone? Can you say Len White? Thomas is an interesting guy mainly do to his triangle numbers. He's a tough call but I'd like to see more of a route runner. The system he ran was overly simple and bearly touched 5 plays in the nfl receiver tree, even then he didn't run crisp routes. Add to that the S's and LB's crowding the line and it puts Thomas 1v1 with the cb. Given his triangle numbers it's hard for any cb to go 1v1 agianst someone his size without help overtop. To me he's the definition of a boom or bust player. If we didn't have as many holes or less need for sure players I would want him in a second. But, in this draft we need starters right away not players with high upside but also are extremely raw and ran less routes then some high school teams. I think they brought him in though and I'm sure they ran him through the white board. If they think he can handle the routes they will take a look otherwise I think they will pass.
    Posted by PatsEng

Well thats the thing what kind of route running would you like to see? You will always  have a guy on you, especially in the NFL. so you are going to have to improvise, your not going to run crisp routes, and with moss, welker, brady from april til september teaching him, I think hell learn by then how to do a clean out or a 15 yard post.

As far as 1 v 1 or Defenses crowding the line thats the beautiful thing, teams know us for Brady, Moss, welker, but NO other reciever, but screens, so if we have that over the top guy like THOMAS, they cant DOUBLE moss or THOMAS all the time cus then itll leave TATE, WELKER, EDELMAN, AIken in the slot for the screen or in the middle or dump off for faulk or jam it down their throats with Morris or Taylor or whoever we pick up.

As far as dwyer I know hes had his wieght problems but when you get money yyou get a personal chef and you get that crap under control.. LENDALE WHITE stoped drinking alcohol .. he dropped 40 lbs or whatever it was...he just got smarter.. I mean its tough to know exactly whats going on...

but with the reciever situation I like BENN but I LIke Thomas better and I Think if hes there we should pick him up, no hesitation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

For example.... Look at what percy harvin did for sidney rice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Some examples of players that ran crisp routes during the Brady era:

Patten
    Welker
    Gaffney
    Brown
    even Branch ran nice routes

All of which excelled under Brady. Now those who we traded for, drafted, or signed who weren't known for there route running but down the field skills.

Galloway
    Chad Jackson
    Stallworth
    Moss
    David Terrell
    Bethel Johnson

I'll give you that Stallworth and Moss worked out but in general if you are a good route runner Brady makes you that much better but if you don't know how to run routes it can be very hit or miss and one of them was already considered a HoFer before joining the Pats

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

He is 28.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

Some examples of players that ran crisp routes during the Brady era: Patten Welker Gaffney Brown even Branch ran nice routes All of which excelled under Brady. Now those who we traded for, drafted, or signed who weren't known for there route running but down the field skills. Galloway Chad Jackson Stallworth Moss David Terrell Bethel Johnson I'll give you that Stallworth and Moss worked out but in general if you are a good route runner Brady makes you that much better but if you don't know how to run routes it can be very hit or miss and one of them was already considered a HoFer before joining the Pats
    Posted by PatsEng

I dunno Ive actually watched Thomas play ive seen his HIghs and Lows.. his route running was fine, only thing i saw was him drop a few passes thats the only downside i saw, I also saw tate play alot, and hes alot better then tate, faster stronger, and tate is more of a slot player, and I dont think THomas is going to be a Boom or bust. 

And Look at all those guys you named... where are they now.. Brady makes all those guys except MOSS... so technically its not about route running its really how brady gets them the ball...

Because they are nothing with out brady....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ben-umass. Show ben-umass's posts

he's actually 28. and so what if he's australian rules football player. Neal didn't play a single game of football in college and look at him now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from clarkeyj1. Show clarkeyj1's posts

he's actually 28. and so what if he's australian rules football player. Neal didn't play a single game of football in college and look at him now.
    Posted by ben-umass

Theres a difference between blocking and punting...

Sections
Shortcuts