This is the s*** I don't like

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

This is the s*** I don't like

The people who are upset about Junior Seau's tragic end are the same people who are booing Goodell at the Draft. He is doing everything he can to avoid these kinds of things happening. Sure... Maybe it is a selfish thing and he is just trying to protect the shield from lawsuits, but either way he wants to keep things like this from happening.

So next time you want to talk about Goodell and his rule changes in a negative light, think about how Junior's death made you feel, and know that these rule changes are in hopes of preventing these types of tragedies. I personally don't watch the NFL for the bone crushing hits.

I, for one, watch the NFL for offensive and defensive execution of game plans. Not to see a guy get absolutely crushed. If that is what you're looking for, go watch the UFC. That is not to say I want flag football, but the rules to protect defenseless players and to reduce helmet to helmet shots and to ultimately protect these men are only good things.

We as fans get caught up in it, but some people forget that there must be life after football. I am all for protecting the futures of these human beings, and I back the things the comissioner has done.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: This is the s*** I don't like

Well said. I agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Nobody knows why Seau killed himself other than him and god and any attempt to tie his death to football or anything else is unfounded speculation.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In Response to This is the s*** I don't like:
    [QUOTE]The people who are upset about Junior Seau's tragic end are the same people who are booing Goodell at the Draft. He is doing everything he can to avoid these kinds of things happening. Sure... Maybe it is a selfish thing and he is just trying to protect the shield from lawsuits, but either way he wants to keep things like this from happening. So next time you want to talk about Goodell and his rule changes in a negative light, think about how Junior's death made you feel, and know that these rule changes are in hopes of preventing these types of tragedies. I personally don't watch the NFL for the bone crushing hits. I, for one, watch the NFL for offensive and defensive execution of game plans. Not to see a guy get absolutely crushed. If that is what you're looking for, go watch the UFC. That is not to say I want flag football, but the rules to protect defenseless players and to reduce helmet to helmet shots and to ultimately protect these men are only good things. We as fans get caught up in it, but some people forget that there must be life after football. I am all for protecting the futures of these human beings, and I back the things the comissioner has done.
    Posted by oh-my-beard[/QUOTE]

Well said and I also agree

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to This is the s*** I don't like:
    [QUOTE] I, for one, watch the NFL for offensive and defensive execution of game plans. Not to see a guy get absolutely crushed. If that is what you're looking for, go watch the UFC. Posted by oh-my-beard[/QUOTE]

The truth.

But I also watch to see the gorgeous cheerleaders.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I completely agree in principle.  It's hard to know if this is tied to football though.  Sometimes people can't adjust to life after fame, and sometimes people can't adjust to life in general.  Anytime a football player commits suicide we will suspect it's related to football.  Anytime a cashier at Shaws commits suicide it will be because the person simply had emotional problems.

The NFL is facing lawsuits however.  They were talking about this on Sirius.  These lawsuits can potentially impact the game harder than anything Goodell has ever done.  If you think Goodell is turning the NFL into flag football, wait and see what happens if the NFL gets hammered in the courts.

I can see the writing on the wall with regard to head injuries.  I can see the day when players are forcibly retired if they suffer repeated head injuries.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

These rules are put in place to cut down on the amount of concussions.  I think it misses the mark.  The problem was that a player 10...15 plus years ago would be sent right back out on the field.  There was no such thing as a concussion in the NFL vocabulary.  Plus there was or is some teams out there whose medical staff will sacrifice a players health.  Not to dismiss the rules that have been put in place but the culture of how to handle concussions in general needs to change.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Hey....where's all the "turning football into figure skating" people?

Nobody is perfect. To me, Goodell has been one h e l l of a fine commish.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Things the commish has done well.  Taking thuggery out of the NFL.  Addressing the concussion issue.  Some of the rules I don't like but he is making the NFL very aware of the problem. 

The thing I don't like was his over reaction to Spygate and Bountygate. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I truly believe he was suffering from they multiple concussions.  As his team mate did, Junior shot himself in the chest.  he didn't leave a note but his team mate did back then that was done for the brain to be tested and dissected.

We will never know but there's no way that he didn't suffer any concussions or any head trauma with the force he inflicted on people.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Former New England Revolution soccer player Tayler Twellman, a friend and former neighbor of Seau's, recalled a conversation he had with the former NFL star when Twellman complained of headaches after several concussions.

"Now that I think about it, he said 'Buddy, buddy -- I have had a headache for years. I can't tell you how many concussions I've had.' I did my best two or three times to reach out because of what I know about head injuries; what I know about concussions; why I started a foundation. He needed help, but he didn't know how to get it," Twellman told ESPN Radio.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oh-my-beard. Show oh-my-beard's posts

In Response to Re: This is the s*** I don't like:
    [QUOTE]Nobody knows why Seau killed himself other than him and god and any attempt to tie his death to football or anything else is unfounded speculation.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]
    Speculation? Yes. Unfounded? No.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE]Nobody knows why Seau killed himself other than him and god and any attempt to tie his death to football or anything else is unfounded speculation.

I think the fact he shot himself in the chest tells you HE thought it was.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

saying that there are no ties between football and his death is also unfounded speculation.

yesterday, someone on the radio (i can't remember if it was cowherd or dan patrick) talked about the suicide rate among nfl almuni being about 6x the rest of the population. the data indicates that thinking the tie exists is a more reasonable thought than saying it does not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Let's just stop the game of football because of this then. While we are at it we should stop sending fishermen out to fish because they die sometimes and it is a dangerous job. Lumberjacks? No more. Software developers? Those computer screens can kill the eyes so we might as well stop that.

Come on, this whole thing sucks, but these people know the risks of the game and get paid millions of dollars to play it. If they are so worried about their health then they should stop playing.

I'm all for making the game safer, but when it starts to take away from what the game is then I have an issue with it. I loved Seau and I'm certainly not happy that he is gone from all of us, but if he was suffering from headaches for so many years then maybe he should have called it quits before he did, right? Besides, we don't know what was going on in his life and we don't know that it happened because of football. For all we know he could have been into some crazy voodoo sh*t. Football is football. It is dangerous, it is violent, and it should stay that way. We are already living in a politically correct world. Let's enjoy watching people that are willing to take the risks until it is inevitably turned into flag football 2.0.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

If I was going to speculate I would say it has a whole lot more to do with post pro football everyday life and it being unfullfilling by comparison than it does anything to do with historical concussions of the past.

Just my opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]If I was going to speculate I would say it has a whole lot more to do with post pro football everyday life and it being unfullfilling by comparison than it does anything to do with historical concussions of the past. Just my opinion.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

fair hypothesis... equally plausible as the head injury theory. it could be both. 

i would be interested in data showing when these events happen. i wonder if it happens soon after a draft more often than not. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is the s*** I don't like : fair hypothesis... equally plausible as the head injury theory. it could be both.  i would be interested in data showing when these events happen. i wonder if it happens soon after a draft more often than not. 
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

I concur.  It is equally plausible.  I do believe there is something to the head injury aspect, but graveyards are full of people who couldn't take retirement well, post-fame well, or even life well.  Here is a link to actors who committed suicide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Actors_who_committed_suicide

I'm fairly certain head trauma had little to do with their decision.  That said, don't interpret my post as discounting the head trauma factor.  It's just one of the possibilities though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I generally like Goodell and the New Sherrif mentality he's brought. I don't agree with everything, but he's done a lot more good than harm.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: This is the s*** I don't like": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is the s*** I don't like : I think the fact he shot himself in the chest tells you HE thought it was.   Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE] I wondered why he shot himself in the chest, now it makes sense. Could be this was his last act to try to help someone else, who knows. Foolish, rash and reactionary? Probably, but the deed is done now. Poor guy, wish someone could have picked up on something before he took such a drastic step. Always seemed like a good guy to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: This is the s*** I don't like": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is the s*** I don't like : I think the fact he shot himself in the chest tells you HE thought it was.   Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE] I don't think it tells you much of anything he was thinking. Maybe he wanted an open casket for his mom. I think it's bizarre everyone is jumping on this concussion thing when he has never been listed as having a concussion in his career. Before he killed himself I never heard anything about him having concussion issues. Maybe he did, I don't know but it's a pretty big leap at this point. Had he had a history, had he talked about it, or even been diagnosed with some sort of depression maybe that's something to look at. That's a lot of assumptions. Right now it seems he just happened to kill himself at a time when concussions are big news. I would look at the more obvious reasons first. What was his situation with his family like, problems with his kids, his ex wife, financial problems. Those are the more obvious and common things. It seems like we are hearing hoofbeats and assuming Zebras here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I don't know why Junior took his own life in the way that he did.  I have my suspicions but that's all that they are - suspicions.  It is deeply troubling that anyone would do such a thing much less someone so seemingly full of a zest for life.  In point of fact, we may never know for certain what brought him to that point.

What I do know is this:  concussions are significant problem and I applaud the NFL's efforts to come to grips with the matter, regardless of what has happened in the past.  I also don't care what Goodell's motivation is; if it saves one guy's health or life then it's worth it. 

I truly hope that BU will be able to examine Junior's brain and see if there is indeed something there that may have led to what he did.

I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't love NFL football and the Pats in particular.  That said, what has happened to many former players is deeply troubling and should neither be discounted nor ignored.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Let's just stop the game of football because of this then. While we are at it we should stop sending fishermen out to fish because they die sometimes and it is a dangerous job. Lumberjacks? No more. Software developers? Those computer screens can kill the eyes so we might as well stop that. Come on, this whole thing sucks, but these people know the risks of the game and get paid millions of dollars to play it. If they are so worried about their health then they should stop playing. I'm all for making the game safer, but when it starts to take away from what the game is then I have an issue with it. I loved Seau and I'm certainly not happy that he is gone from all of us, but if he was suffering from headaches for so many years then maybe he should have called it quits before he did, right? Besides, we don't know what was going on in his life and we don't know that it happened because of football. For all we know he could have been into some crazy voodoo sh*t. Football is football. It is dangerous, it is violent, and it should stay that way. We are already living in a politically correct world. Let's enjoy watching people that are willing to take the risks until it is inevitably turned into flag football 2.0.
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

There is absolutely nothing wrong with attempting to legislate more safety for players into the game.   If its not done, the game will go away and not from the loss of players or their fear of playing but because all of the lawsuits filed against the league will dry up the financial reasons for players to play it. Athletes will look for different games to play.

In the same paragraph, you suggest players should know better about when to stop, but then are sarcastic about stopping all activities that could result in injury and/or death.  

You unitentionally make a great point.  People won't stop what they are doing when faced with danger either out of love for doing it and/or the need or love for the money they get from it.  When individuals refuse to use common sense we see rules implemented to artificially attempt to create that common sense.  And - sometimes even that doesn't work - see Colt McCoy - because the institutions charged with enforcing that common sense, don't.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Football is football. It is dangerous, it is violent, and it should stay that way. We are already living in a politically correct world. Let's enjoy watching people that are willing to take the risks until it is inevitably turned into flag football 2.0.

I think what you are saying is that you don't want to live without your hit of violence even if it kills someone else. Because that is what happened to Seau. Football killed him: the hits, the concussions, the drugs, the resulting depressions. 

We are all culpable in this: Players, Fans and Owners.