This is the year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

This is the year

I look at the AFC and I have to think if the Patriots are going to get another Super Bowl win, it has to be this year.

The Dolphins might have finally found a quarterback and the Bills actually look like the smartest team this offseason, loading up on defensive linemen and corners.  Give them another year and the Dolphins might actually realize they should keep receivers like Marshall for said quarterback, while both teams might finally get a tight end.  The Dolphins' defense is already close.

Pittsburgh's line is reloaded, but they're young.  I think they could be had this year with complex schemes, NFL athleticism, and good counter moves that they didn't see in college.  But they'll improve

And the Ravens look like they've lost a lot.  Their line was bad before losing Ben Grubbs, one of the best five guards in the league.  And they lost Jarrett Johnson.  And now Suggs is hurt.  And Ed Reed and Ray Lewis aren't getting any younger.  They draft linebackers so well, but this year they look more vulnerable than usual.

Even in the NFC, the Saints are decimated by the bounty scandal, the Packers have little at safety with Nick Collins gone and still don't have an offensive line, the Giants lost Manningham and essentially Umenyiora and have just an unhealthy Bradshaw at RB.

the only two teams that I think really upgraded are the Cowboys with Romo the choke artist at QB and the 49ers (whose entire 11 on defense and top backup Aldon Smith all return, plus Moss and Manningham at receiver, with a more confident, proven, and defiant Alex Smith at QB)

if the Pats play the way they're supposed to play, they only have 6-8 hard games on their schedule: 2 Jets, Ravens, Steelers, 49ers, Texans, & 1-2 Bills?

The Patriots have to capitalize on this opportunity.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: This is the year

I like the optimism. Certainly, on paper, they'll do well in the regular season. I'm sure they'll come in first in their division again.  A SB win for 2012 will depend on how well their D improves.  If their D ends up like last year, the Colts....I mean the Patriots will vulnerable to certain teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Not all that sure how quickly either Buffalo or Miami will really rise - Buffalo has the starters to be decent, but NFL teams have to have solid back-ups to last 16 games. That was their big problem last year, and I don't know that they really improved in that regard - and they tied some serious cap money up so they will have problems paying for the mid level quality.
    Miami - the defense is decent, but ... And the offense is a basket case at the moment, and more than one year away I think. They also have cap issues.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I can see a 14-2 or 15-1 type of a season, but I am not sure what that means anymore.  We all know it's wondering what Brady will do in the postseason now, as before when we knew what he'd do.

The Pats look primed for years to come, assuming the 2 new 1st rd picks work out they way they could.   The depth and quality at some weakers spots in recent years looks great. The key is to keep Brady upright, obviously. We'll see.  I don't see a club with a better crack at it than the Pats.  All about health from here on out, as it is ever year. Limit the injuries on a club like this and it's unfinished business in 2012.

Houston is going to be tough, KC is up and coming no doubt, as is Cincy. I see the Pitts, Balts and SD type clubs teetering at this point.   They could hang on and make a move or collapse ending up in years of mediocrity.

Buffalo can't be counted on until they at least make the playoffs as a wild card.  I still don't see how they addressed their pitiful run D.  They also handcuffed themselves a bit for years to come with Williams's albatross of a contract.

One team I can see making some noise as well is Oakland. I think they'll be sniffing around for a WC with Buffalo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: This is the year:
    [QUOTE]I can see a 14-2 or 15-1 type of a season, but I am not sure what that means anymore.  We all know it's wondering what Brady will do in the postseason now, as before when we knew what he'd do. ...
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

i wonder about that too. 

i also wonder if, by winning a lot in the regular season, the other teams are learning more about the pats during the regular season than the pats learn about their opponents in the playoffs. i sometimes wish they'd be willing to risk a loss for the sake of improving underdeveloped aspects of their game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Alex Smith proved in the NFC Championship game that he is totally inept.  God playing WR won't take them over the top.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is the year : i wonder about that too.  i also wonder if, by winning a lot in the regular season, the other teams are learning more about the pats during the regular season than the pats learn about their opponents in the playoffs. i sometimes wish they'd be willing to risk a loss for the sake of improving underdeveloped aspects of their game.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

+1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Theres a lot that has to go right but at the moment it looks great. 

The Patriots are def going to the playoffs next year. Its about how we execute when we get there though. If we get a bye and we dont have homefield or if we do it all depends. Thats the little stuff thats going to change it up and make the forune more on our side.

The schedule without playing the injury game looks awesome. The defense will have games where they can build their confidence but be tested as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]I can see a 14-2 or 15-1 type of a season, but I am not sure what that means anymore.  We all know it's wondering what Brady will do in the postseason now, as before when we knew what he'd do. The Pats look primed for years to come, assuming the 2 new 1st rd picks work out they way they could.   The depth and quality at some weakers spots in recent years looks great. The key is to keep Brady upright, obviously. We'll see.  I don't see a club with a better crack at it than the Pats.  All about health from here on out, as it is ever year. Limit the injuries on a club like this and it's unfinished business in 2012. Houston is going to be tough, KC is up and coming no doubt, as is Cincy. I see the Pitts, Balts and SD type clubs teetering at this point.   They could hang on and make a move or collapse ending up in years of mediocrity. Buffalo can't be counted on until they at least make the playoffs as a wild card.  I still don't see how they addressed their pitiful run D.  They also handcuffed themselves a bit for years to come with Williams's albatross of a contract. One team I can see making some noise as well is Oakland. I think they'll be sniffing around for a WC with Buffalo.

Rusty lets hope we get the Brady from the Denver game and not most of the other playoff games since they beat the Panthers in SB38..  He's been great in the regular season but looking back on all of their playoff games since sb38 most of them have been average or even below average. 

Its odd that this has been happening and its become a trend. It was great to see him have that game against Denver but the following week against the Ravens was horrible. I'm not trying to bash him, I'm just pointing out what anyone can see by looking at all of those recent playoff games. Big drop off from the regular season.. Maybe the defenses that he faces are just that much better but I don't know. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

There really are two seasons every year, and the first season is just to get the chance to play in the second. NYG were pretty mediocre in the first season, but stepped up their play in the second season and also got more 'luck' than their opponents. Winning a super bowl requires a certain amount of luck most years and getting to the SB does as well. Not sure I would say we outplayed the Ravens last year, but we won.
    And it is never one player that makes the difference. TB hasn't had great statistical games in the last two SBs, but neither have most of the other players on either team. Welker makes the catch, Mannigham drops the ball or steps out, etc. etc. etc.
    TB is certainly good enough to win, and the Pats as a team have been good enough to win. They just haven't gotten the breaks that you need to win in close games. They did get those breaks in their SB victory years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is the year : Rusty lets hope we get the Brady from the Denver game and not most of the other playoff games since they beat the Panthers in SB38..  He's been great in the regular season but looking back on all of their playoff games since sb38 most of them have been average or even below average.  Its odd that this has been happening and its become a trend. It was great to see him have that game against Denver but the following week against the Ravens was horrible. I'm not trying to bash him, I'm just pointing out what anyone can see by looking at all of those recent playoff games. Big drop off from the regular season.. Maybe the defenses that he faces are just that much better but I don't know. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

See, the thing is, I don't expect that.  We don't need Brady in the Denver game to show up in the postseason. We just need the 2010 Brady to show up so when the game is close, the methodical Brady takes over like he did when he led the team to 3 SBs.

There seems to be this expectation from him and the offense, that at some point, the opposing D will collapse and NE will explode on offense. That CAN happen, but it's not that common. This is the problem with some of our fanbase. They fawn over him lighting up a bad D and then think that translates into how he'll be against good or great Ds.

The fact is, he's just like every other QB trying to throw 40+ times against good or great Ds: He's average or bad.

The fireworks almost always happens against bad Ds. Denver comes to mind in November and it comes to mind with the Skins game last year or the games they played against a slew of teams like KC, Indy, and Miami at home.  Difference between a Dallas D and a Giants D and those teams?  Giants and Dallas have good Ds. Those other teams I just listed either had injury problems or some kind of a major flaw on their teams that allowed our offense to take off at some point.

The problem for this offense is what to do, what identity to take on, when it's 17-15 in a SB and it's a low scoring, very physical situation.  Passing our way out of it is an asbolute, unmitigated failure.   And, if we don't establish a semblance of a run game in the 1st half of games like that?  LOSS.

Al this team has to do is make sure they show and use run in the first half, even if it doesn't produce great results.

Go back and look at the games earlier in 2011 or the boatload of games in 2010 where it was close at halftime and then NE blew out the team in the second half. Most of those games featured BJGE and/or a dose of Woodhead running the ball with effectiveness early.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: This is the year": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is the year : i wonder about that too.  i also wonder if, by winning a lot in the regular season, the other teams are learning more about the pats during the regular season than the pats learn about their opponents in the playoffs. i sometimes wish they'd be willing to risk a loss for the sake of improving underdeveloped aspects of their game. Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE] The problem is the offensive philosphy. They do 1 thing really well, actually probably better then anybody ever and that's throwing the football and running precise routes. They have no variety to the offensive game plan. Only once or twice a year we will run all over a team in hopes it will fool opposing defensive co's into believing we will do anything but throw. We could do that more often and still win but we choose not to. This has lead to post season predictablity. We are not only asking Brady to carry us all year on his right shoulder, we now ask him to do it against great defense's who absolutely know what he is going to do for the majority of the game. Hardly seems like a formula for success and given our 15.5 ppg scoring average in our last 2 SB's I would say the offensive game plan is not working. ave

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]Alex Smith proved in the NFC Championship game that he is totally inept.  God playing WR won't take them over the top.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense.  That means Eli Manning was more inept. Barring 2 awful, inexcusable STs turnovers that led to 2 NYGs scores deep in SF territory, Alex Smith plays in last year's SB game vs NE.

Alex Smith had a very nice year with his 8th OC of his career (one new one every year of his career).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Patriots are loaded across the board,their depth at each position is absolutely incredible! Their only tangible losses in the off season are Light and Anderson and BJGE to some extent. They without a doubt in my mind will be the best offense in the NFL and should average around 36 points a game based upon healthy players at each of the skill positions. If you rank each position you have to put the Patriots in the top five in these categories: OL,WR,TE,QB, and ST and that was before they worked on the DL and Secondary and where those two units will end up noone knows,though we do know that BB has attempted to radify any exsisting holes via the draft and Free Agency. Do they have enough to win it all? I would say yes at this point in time,but again the games aren't played in the newspapers or the blogs we write. 19-0 is still a possibility at this point in time, my guess is 14-2 but again who can tell how all these newcomers blend...17 Free agents 7 draft choices and 7 UDFA's. That is a complex recipe!!! My favorite newbie is ..Drum roll,please Nate Ebner!!!! Rugby is a sport played by those who might be certifiably insane,and if you watched the videos of his days as a Rugby star at Ohio state I'm sure that you will see the same thing I saw,a guy whose a predeator on Defense whose tackling was a sure and pure as gold,and a mad man with the ball in his hands on Offense.Nate Ebner a man who was recommended by none other than Mike Vrabel to BB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Well, I tend to agree with the general trend of this thread. The Pats need to establish the run a lot better against quality D's. In that respect it will be interesting so see if Ridley can get rid of the fumbleitis he caught near the end of last season. If he can, I belive we will se the running game featured a lot more this coming season. On O I also believe that production outside the numbers needs to improve. As it is, the good D's can leave single coverage on the outside and crowd the space in the middle. Even though we got WW and The Boston TE Party, it gets harder to exploit that space in the playoffs.

I am also looking forward to seeing where the D is going. I don't watch college football, so I don't have any particular opninion on the rookies, other than I hope they've drafted a couple of Day 1 starters. Though they seemed to get better towards the end of the season, I think they were still missing a few playmakers to be counted on in crunch time in games where the O struggled.

But, as many others, I think this could be the year - with af couple of ifs. If TB can produce with the outside receivers, if they can establish the run, and if the D takes just a single step forward. And I think they have the potential to do all three things!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is the year : That makes no sense.  That means Eli Manning was more inept.Barring 2 awful, inexcusable STs turnovers that led to 2 NYGs scores deep in SF territory, Alex Smith plays in last year's SB game vs NE. Alex Smith had a very nice year with his 8th OC of his career (one new one every year of his career).

Let me clear it up for you.  Eli (who did suck in that game, I agree) was far superior too Smith, as the facts state.  Smith had less then 50% completions and 78 of his anemic 196 yards came on one play.

When plays needed to be made he was running around like a headless chicken and going 3 and out consistently.  Oh, and he lost.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Disagree.   Eli Manning got his numbers up from the 2 awful turnovers by the rookie kick returner who ended up receiving death threats.

The game was a low scoring, defensive battle.  You can't say one was inept while the other, even if marginally better or worse, was not.

Each is around 50% passing, but Eli got himself 2 turnovers to work with deep in SF territory.

There's really nothing to clear up.  Alex Smith will be even better this year with Manningham and maybe even an aging Moss.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is the year : See, the thing is, I don't expect that.  We don't need Brady in the Denver game to show up in the postseason. We just need the 2010 Brady to show up so when the game is close, the methodical Brady takes over like he did when he led the team to 3 SBs. There seems to be this expectation from him and the offense, that at some point, the opposing D will collapse and NE will explode on offense. That CAN happen, but it's not that common. This is the problem with some of our fanbase. They fawn over him lighting up a bad D and then think that translates into how he'll be against good or great Ds. The fact is, he's just like every other QB trying to throw 40+ times against good or great Ds: He's average or bad. The fireworks almost always happens against bad Ds. Denver comes to mind in November and it comes to mind with the Skins game last year or the games they played against a slew of teams like KC, Indy, and Miami at home.  Difference between a Dallas D and a Giants D and those teams?  Giants and Dallas have good Ds. Those other teams I just listed either had injury problems or some kind of a major flaw on their teams that allowed our offense to take off at some point. The problem for this offense is what to do, what identity to take on, when it's 17-15 in a SB and it's a low scoring, very physical situation.  Passing our way out of it is an asbolute, unmitigated failure.   And, if we don't establish a semblance of a run game in the 1st half of games like that?  LOSS. Al this team has to do is make sure they show and use run in the first half, even if it doesn't produce great results. Go back and look at the games earlier in 2011 or the boatload of games in 2010 where it was close at halftime and then NE blew out the team in the second half. Most of those games featured BJGE and/or a dose of Woodhead running the ball with effectiveness early.

Yes, my bad i didn't really word that one right... he hasn't played well since 38 other than a couple of games, including the denver game...  the 2003-2004 years were the best because nobody knew what they were going to do. they ran the ball more, didn't spread it out all the time like they do now. it's not that brady was better then than he is now, its the scheme was much better then. brady is the perfect qb for that scheme and the patriots are near unbeatable then. that also helps out the defense because they are on the field for longer than 45 seconds.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Agreed. From a techincal and physical standpoint, Brady is a better QB now than he was then. From a pure QB standpoint (game management, ball control, decision making, etc), he was better then.

2007 really messed with his QB style a lot.   It's pretty much not debatable anymore at this point. He chased after it in 2009, was reined in for 2010 after Moss was dealt and last year he regressed back into it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

The only way brady goes back to form is with Charlei Weis back in the fold....I don't see JM doing all those stuff that they did back when they were wining superbowls, Play-action,Screens,Middle of the field, The deep ball every now and then,Runs inside and outside,short quick passes and the most important part was DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH 1 OR 2 GUYS. I remember those days when brady would hit 5 or 6 different receivers in one drive, and when the play calling was way more unpredictable than what it is now. Brady spends too much time in the shotgun, and everytime he's under center the defense knows it's a run. But we can't blame it on brady, the blame should be spread out collectively.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]The only way brady goes back to form is with Charlei Weis back in the fold....I don't see JM doing all those stuff that they did back when they were wining superbowls, Play-action,Screens,Middle of the field, The deep ball every now and then,Runs inside and outside,short quick passes and the most important part was DON'T FALL IN LOVE WITH 1 OR 2 GUYS. I remember those days when brady would hit 5 or 6 different receivers in one drive, and when they play calling was way more unpredictable than what it is now. Brady spends too much time in the shotgun, and everytime he's under center the defense knows it's a run. But we can't blame it on brady, the blame should be spread out collectively.
    Posted by leonardo0110[/QUOTE]

I agree with your post except the part about McD. I know he was the creator so to speak of the spread em out deep ball offense, but he ran the ball effectively that yer and in 08 when Cassel went down the Pats were a top 10 running team under McD, and that was with mediocre talent on the roster at RB. We CAN run the ball, we just choose not to. I think/hope that changes under McD.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Agree. No one will ever be Weis, but McDaniels at least learned under Weis more so than O'Brien.

Also, I don't think Brady will try to control the audible situation as much as he tried with O'Brien.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to This is the year:
    [QUOTE]I look at the AFC and I have to think if the Patriots are going to get another Super Bowl win, it has to be this year. Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

The truth, I can't see them being stopped.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Actually, I think they are setting themselves up good for the next few years. Assuming that this draft pans out, which I think it will.