This is totally off topic but are there any dslr users that can give me advice for Christmas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

This is totally off topic but are there any dslr users that can give me advice for Christmas

I'm looking to spend around 1000 or less on a camera from my wife. I've been seeing lots of deals.

The two cameras I am currently compairing are the  cannon Ti3 and Ti4.  Is the Ti4 worth the 150 average price jump? 

Also do you use a different camera  brand that is price compairable to the cannon and why do you like it better?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

Re: This is totally off topic but are there any dslr users that can give me advice for Christmas

In response to csylvia79's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm looking to spend around 1000 or less on a camera from my wife. I've been seeing lots of deals.

The two cameras I am currently compairing are the  cannon Ti3 and Ti4.  Is the Ti4 worth the 150 average price jump? 

Also do you use a different camera  brand that is price compairable to the cannon and why do you like it better?

[/QUOTE]

Not sure on the T3i or new T4i, but I have a T2i and its pretty sweet. I'd have to look up the differences but I'd imagine the jump from the T3i isn't that big. However, I'd say get the T4i if you can. It's the newest and never hurts to give the wife the "new" thing right? Canons rock IMO. Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: This is totally off topic but are there any dslr users that can give me advice for Christmas

It depends. What kind of hobbyist is she? If she is a serious, amateur photographer than you really can't go wrong w/ any of the entry level Canons or Nikons.

Now, if she likes taking pictures...but is a casual photographer (aka, point and shoot), then you can save loads of money by purchasing something like the canon powershot s100

$229 free shipping. also does 1080p movies.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S100-Wide-Angle-Stabilized/dp/B005MTME3U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353712392&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+powershot+s100

The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a swivel screen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Do you mean Canon T4i and T3i?

It all depends on what she will be using it for. 

Me personally I would spend the extra $150 on the T4i if it's in the budget. 

The T4i has a faster processor then the T3i, but it won't be noticable if she hasn't had a dslr before, and again depending on what she will use it for.  Aslo, if she is going to use it to record some video from time to time the T3i lens is a bit noisy when it focuses and will be heard on the recording where the lenses on the T4i are quieter.  Also for video the T4i shoots 5 frames per second where the T3i shoots 3.7 frames per second. I believe the T4i has continuous auto focusing in video mode where the T3i doesn't.

As for quality the T4i picture quality will be better.  Again it all depends what she will be using it for and if she is an experienced photographer.  If she is serious about her pictures then again go for the T4i, she will notice the difference.  And if she is just begining and really gets into it she will wish she had the T4i down the road.  If she is just looking for a good camera, won't be doing any or much video and is just looking for better pictures then a point and shoot camera then the T3i will certainly be a good camera for her. 

Several years ago I bought my first DSLR camera and went for the Canon Rebel XT instead of the XTI that just came out at the time.  While the XT was great it didn't take me long before I wished I would have spent the extra money on the XTI.  That's one reason I say go for the T4i because once you start taking pictures with dslr's you will notice the differences between the different models and wish you had the better one, lol! 

About brands... I love Canon dslr's.  When I got my first Canon Rebel XT I looked at all different brands.  I alway liked Nikons but went with the Canon and very glad I did.  A few of us parents took football pictures of our kids games that played on the same team and we put all our pictures up on a website so parents could go there and look and download the pictures of their kids.  I was using the Canon Rebel XT, another parent used the Canon XTI, and one used a Nikon, can't remember the model but was comparable to the Canon XT and XTI.  There was a noticable difference in the colors of the pictures.  The Canon's all had better coloring, the Nikon had a dull color to them and always seemed a bit darker.  Of course it all depends on the settings and who is taking the pictures but here I was a beginner and my pictures always came out better then the person who was using the Nikon and that person was an experienced DSLR user.  So since then I always prefered the Canon cameras over the Nikons.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have anymore questions, keep us posted on what you get.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I can send her some pic. of me for free.  She will really love you for it and you can spend the money on yourself :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT INSIGHT! Even you Tcal2, that was kind of funny ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

you did not ask for advise on this part, but let me give it anyway.

kits for the canon entry level dslr normally come with a 55mm lens or the 18-135mm lens - the latter a bit more expensive. i recommend getting the 18-135 just the same. i used to carry around three lenses that i kept changing. as my son grew up and started doing more outdoor activities, the changing of the lens became more frequent jus tto keep up. it gets ridiculous.

the versatility of the lens is what will lad to iamges that stand out. it is worth the extra bucks.

btw i shot a canon slr all the way back to the film days. i still shoot a canon.

Sections
Shortcuts