This is what I want to see the Pats do this year in the draft...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

Re: This is what I want to see the Pats do this year in the draft...

In Response to This is what I want to see the Pats do this year in the draft...:
    I know the season isn't over yet but this is what I want to see happen. First and foremost. I want the Pats to use there early picks. Enough with this trade down now for a pick next year bullsh*t. I'm tired of waiting for it to pay off. Use all of your 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to get what we need. I want to see the Pats get atleast 2 of these. 1. A lockout down CB, someone to take controll on the defensive side of the ball. 2. A hard hitting and effective Safety to bolster our thin and weak secondary.  3. A deep threat WR, who can stretch the field, someone to take pressure off Welker and the TEs. 4. A legit young pass rusher to put pressure on the QB. Carter and Anderson are fine fill ins but they're not getting any younger.
    Posted by FcukUPayMe

Amen ...a deep threat receiver times 10!  This pass offense is not fooling the elite defenses 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: This is what I want to see the Pats do this year in the draft...:
    In Response to Re: ... if we do go wr, there are plenty in the first 3 rounds who may be standouts ...
    Posted by brdbreu

i completely agree...
    we do not need a calvin johnson. a tall (6-2 or taller) wr solid enough to consistently catch one or two 25+ yarders per game will help a lot. you don;t need tog et a blackmon. i atually do no want a blackmon as tb might get fixated on the guy everytime.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

they have 2 first round picks, theirs and the saints, both will be late in the round though and unless they package their two first round picks and move up they wont get the top corner out there in the draft. there are a couple of safeties out there, lester and barron from alabama who are pretty good, one of them may still be there when the patriots pick.. 

hopefully they don't trade down again for below average talent. they should stay put or even trade up and get the best possible player available. not the usual guys that they look for. the 2010 draft was excellent but most of the other drafts since acquiring all of these picks and moving down have been very bad. lots and lots  of busts, players that are gone or not even in the league.  

belichick the coach is the best ever imo, as a gm i hate to say not so good. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

another thing is for them to check out players injury history. dowling was the first player taken in the 2nd round, there were lots of good pro-bowl caliber players that still had not been taken. they took dowling and imo he will never play a full season, probably out of the league in a couple of years, may not even play next year. he has had numerous different injuries and this latest hip injury could be very bad. guys like that are always getting injured.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Posted by kjfiton[/QUOTE]

re:
    "
    hopefully they don't trade down again for below average talent. they should stay put or even trade up and get the best possible player available. not the usual guys that they look for. the 2010 draft was excellent but most of the other drafts since acquiring all of these picks and moving down have been very bad. lots and lots  of busts, players that are gone or not even in the league.  

belichick the coach is the best ever imo, as a gm i hate to say not so good. "

kj,
    agreed, agreed, agreed, and agreed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: This is what I want to see the Pats do this year in the draft...:
    another thing is for them to check out players injury history. dowling was the first player taken in the 2nd round, there were lots of good pro-bowl caliber players that still had not been taken. they took dowling and imo he will never play a full season, probably out of the league in a couple of years, may not even play next year. he has had numerous different injuries and this latest hip injury could be very bad. guys like that are always getting injured.
    Posted by kjfiton

that may be a little dour on dowling. but it may be a crapshoot.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

A couple of quick observations.  Blackmon is not the answer.  He and Hernandez both have the same skill set.  I would like to see a young DL or NT.  A center can be had in the later rounds.  They have wasted enough picks on CB type players with limited results.  Same with WR.  It is time to rebuild the defensive front seven and the safety position.  I think some of this will be through free agency and the rest through the draft.  BB has the ability to find players that fit his system.  Carter and Anderson are examples of that.  Big name free agents seem to be a bust here. 
    The second observation is a simple question if Brady can still throw the deep ball.  I have not seem him throw a deep ball accurately in the last few games.  Even when he had someone open he either underthrows or overthrows the receiver.  We blame the receivers a lot of the time but we need to wonder about the QB as well.  Too many talented WR have come along that did not make the team for me to believe it is all the recievers fault.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

A couple of quick observations.  Blackmon is not the answer.  He and Hernandez both have the same skill set.  I would like to see a young DL or NT.  A center can be had in the later rounds.  They have wasted enough picks on CB type players with limited results.  Same with WR.  It is time to rebuild the defensive front seven and the safety position.  I think some of this will be through free agency and the rest through the draft.  BB has the ability to find players that fit his system.  Carter and Anderson are examples of that.  Big name free agents seem to be a bust here.  The second observation is a simple question if Brady can still throw the deep ball.  I have not seem him throw a deep ball accurately in the last few games.  Even when he had someone open he either underthrows or overthrows the receiver.  We blame the receivers a lot of the time but we need to wonder about the QB as well.  Too many talented WR have come along that did not make the team for me to believe it is all the recievers fault.
    Posted by msteven

Thank You MS, you hit on something thats been evident for years now but people refuse to admit it and keep clamoring for "deep threats" .

The truth is Brady is a below average deep passer. I am not talking about the 25-30 yard range where he excels and finds Tight ends down the seam. I am talking about the 50 yard bomb that you see Phillip  Rivers tossing with ease to the WR's open arms.  I would have to say Brady is in the bottom 3rd of Qb's in this area and why its overated to have a deep threat here.

Besides 07 when Brady was just chucking and praying and Moss was still the go get it athlete that could jump, he probably had a 25% success rate on the deep ball to Moss the last couple years here. He underthrew Branch just this past week on a deep route. Another time he missed Chad. Ony great throw this year was the drop by Ocho in Buffalo....

I would really think before I got a strictly deep threat here with an aging QB who has never been a great deep ball thrower.  We need a playmaker who gets YAC....and can get 1st downs and occasionally break off a 25 yarder.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

When the Patriots won the superbowl they did not need a deep threat.  Remember that the Rams had the "greatest show on turf"  The patriots won that game.  When the Patriots had the deep threat in 2007, they lost the superbowl.  They tried the deep threat at the end of the superbowl with the Giants and failed.  The deep threat is a nice tool to have but I would prefer a multiplay long time of possesion drive.  A 15 play drive that eats up 7-8 minutes of the clock wins games.  The defense is not on the field so they are rested and ready.  The opposing offense is not on the field so they are not scoring.  Part of the problem with the Patriots is that they seem to get tired on defense at the end of the games.  If they are not on the field, they dont get tired.  The weaknesses of the defense cannot be exploited either.  Brady is a great QB.  He is able to manage the clock and is great at the short passing game.  Use it wisely and they can win.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Brady throws the deep ball just fine.  Wes Welker has more 20+ deep catches than Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Jordy Nelson, Desean Jackson, everyone in the NFL except Steve Smith.  Brady also has the longest pass in the NFL this year.  Last time he had a deep threat he set a record by dropping deep balls to Moss all year. 

Don't be fooled by the fact that the Pats defense gets deep passes thrown over its head all the time.  QB's do not regularly do that, the Pats pass defense just sucks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Shen, with all due respect, you are wrong

We are not talking about 20 plus yard plays are those are not "DEEP" I consider 40 plus yards to be deep.

The 99 yard reception was a 10 yard throw and then Wes got all those yards after the catch.  By your logic Wes is a better deep threat over all thos guys????

ummmm,  no

I am talking about throwing a ball 50 yards in the air and it dropping into the bread basket. Name how many times that has happened this year???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Matt Slater early in the year off playaction.  One deep pass completed all year by my count, but I just cant remember others. Feel free to point them out..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Sorry, but that is just not the way its done anymore. Look at the most wininest team in the NFL ofver the past 10 years, which just happens to be the New England Patriots. They go for middle road high value second and third round type of role players. Looks at our TE's, best in league, non first rounders. 

Nah, stick with BB's system and enjoy the wins that happen more often than not.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

The game is won in the trenches...period. Dominate there, and you simply don't need the big names to be effective. I say keep drafting total animals for the O-line. This will keep our defense off the field with longer running drives, and of course protecting our franchise player.

The bottom line is we can beat this subject to death, and no matter what, BB will draft people that very few people have even heard of. He does it every single year. Get ready folks...another "no-name" will be drafted no matter how much you want him to darft that "sexy pick".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

Shen, with all due respect, you are wrong We are not talking about 20 plus yard plays are those are not "DEEP" I consider 40 plus yards to be deep. The 99 yard reception was a 10 yard throw and then Wes got all those yards after the catch.  By your logic Wes is a better deep threat over all thos guys???? ummmm,  no I am talking about throwing a ball 50 yards in the air and it dropping into the bread basket. Name how many times that has happened this year???
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Bingo!  Brady missed a deep ball to Hernandez as well on Sunday, which the commentators mentioned was underthrown.  Brady is great at what he does, but that 50 yard bomb isn't it.  The Branch play from a week or two back comes to mind.  Brady pointed for Branch to cut back and then go deep and he hit him in stride...Branch's lack of speed then became painfully evident.  A younger set of legs would've made that into an easy TD rather than cutting back and forth and getting stopped at the one yard line.  Pats just need a guy that can run those same routes but has the elite speed to consistently threaten to make a move and take it to the house.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

In Response to Re: This is what I want to see the Pats do this year in the draft... : Bingo!  Brady missed a deep ball to Hernandez as well on Sunday, which the commentators mentioned was underthrown.  Brady is great at what he does, but that 50 yard bomb isn't it.  The Branch play from a week or two back comes to mind.  Brady pointed for Branch to cut back and then go deep and he hit him in stride...Branch's lack of speed then became painfully evident.  A younger set of legs would've made that into an easy TD rather than cutting back and forth and getting stopped at the one yard line.  Pats just need a guy that can run those same routes but has the elite speed to consistently threaten to make a move and take it to the house.
    Posted by jeffab

Agreed! Not a deep threat, just a young, speedy guy who can run routes and get seperation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

Its funny every year we talk about who we want and what we should do as a team because its fun.  But deep down we all are pretty used to dissapointment when draft time comes lol. 

We want a pass rush.. Last year was a great pass rush draft.. no pass rusher. 
    We are stacked at RB.. BJGE, Woodhead, Faulks back, we draft 2 more...
    We needed an offensive lineman, but similar value could have been had with 1st round pic number 2.

Bills going to trade down, find the bargain deal.. Its like when you where a kid and you told your mom you wanted those fancy new jeans all your friends had.  So she goes out and gets you a new pair from wal-mart.  She doesnt understand they are not the same.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I'd just like to see them select the best possible guy sitting there when they select, rather than try to build on their reputation of being wicked smart and trade for some more of that delicious value.
    Posted by mthurl

Dead right! Enough said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CEHenry3. Show CEHenry3's posts

I'm stuck in that quandry we all face - trade down or just pick someone?

Here's the plus and minus ...

In 2007 Belichick traded the #28 overall to SF for a 1st in 2008 and #110 in 2007.  That #110 was traded to Oakland to get Randy Moss.  The 2008 First Round pick (#7) was traded to NO for #10 and #78.  That #10 pick became Jerod Mayo and #78 was used for Shawn Crable.  So he traded #28 to get Randy Moss, Jerod Mayo, and Shawn Crable.  SC didn't work out, Moss was good for several years, and Jerod Mayo is the main defender for NE - 2 out of 3.

The minus - that's when the picks you trade turn into very good or great players, and the picks you get don't turn out at all.  Shawn Crable would be one if there wasn't Moss and Mayo in the mix there.

(On the flip side, #79 overall, the player picked directly after Crable, was Antwaun Molden, who is now a Patriot, so go figure.)

The thing to remember is that by stockpiling picks and having multiple 2nd, 3rd & 4th round selections, you can afford to make mistakes, and feel free to cut your losses when players such as the aforementioned Chad Jackson don't work out.  If you make 3 selections in rounds 1-3, you have to be more careful - if you have 1 first rounder, 2 seconds, 2 thirds ... well, that gives you more chances to pick up "that" players, such as Gronkowski.  (And speaking of Gronk ... )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CEHenry3. Show CEHenry3's posts

continuing the previous post ...

Speaking of Gronkowski, how did the Patriots draft him?  They traded the #73 in 2009 to Jacksonville, getting #232 (Julian Edelman) and what ended up being #44 in 2010.  They traded the #44 & #190 to Oakland for #42, which they used to draft Gronkowski.  So they traded #73 (2009) and #190 (2010) to get Edelman & Gronkowski.  Not too bad, right?

How about the other 2009 trade the drove us Pats fans nuts, trading the #89 to the Titans for their 2nd round pick in 2010?  That ended up being #47, which was traded to Arizona for #'s 58 & 89.  #58 was traded to Houston for #'s 62 (Brandon Spikes) and 150 (Zoltan Mesko); #89 was traded to Carolina for their 2nd in 2011, which ended up being #33 (Ras-I Dowling).  So for the #89 pick in 2009, they drafted a good ILB, great punter, and potentially good CB.

How about my favorite?  2010, trading the #22 to Denver, then the #24 to Dallas, and drafting Devin McCourty (I still think he's going to be good for years), Taylor Price (yes, a miss), and Aaron Hernandez (#1 TE on most teams).

Let's recap ...

The Patriots gave up the #'s 73 & 89 in 2009 and the #190 in 2010.  In return, they picked up the following: Edelman (2009); McCourty, Gronkowski, Spikes, Hernandez, Mesko (all in 2010); Dowling (2011).  Two pro-bowl caliber TE's; a good overall player (returns, receiver, defense, special teams) in Edelman, great punter, good ILB, good CB (I still believe in McCourty), potential CB in Dowling.  I'd say it has worked out fairly well thus far.

Time will tell ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CEHenry3. Show CEHenry3's posts

psst - and let's not forget that BB traded #110 (picked up from a trade) for Randy Moss, then traded Moss & a 7th to Minnesota for #74, which became Ryan Mallet ... who knows what that will end up being?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

It does look pretty good when you look at it that way. I am all about getting more ban g for your buck. I think the only trade that didnt happen that could also have helped is if they moved out of #10 in 08.(I dont think Mayo was a top 20 pick b4 the draft) and getting 2 picks and getting either Curtis Lofton in the 2nd and Mayo later on and using the extra pick to get Brandon Flowers.

Good stuff from B.B,. though. I think he wanted to move out that # 10 spot in 08 but had no suitors so he just the best defensive guy on the board based on need. Tedy getting ready to retire. If we get Flowers, we dont have to pay Bodden and most likely dont need Ras I..   I do like the value, but sometimes you need to get a top guy or you will keep using pic over and over to replace someone.  How many CB's been in here since Ty and Asante left???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CEHenry3. Show CEHenry3's posts

The trades often work.  Of course, you need to balance that with the GB trade in 2009, where they got Clay Matthews and the Patriots got Darius Butler & Brandon Tate.  (They also got the #73, which was included in the above listings.)

I look at it simply by looking over the LB's taken before & after Mayo - and none of them have had an impact even close to Jerod's.  And oddly enough, I had Mayo better than Gholston, Rivers, Harvey.  I got lucky there.

Here's an odd stat - the Patriots have 4 players on their roster who went undrafted in 2008: Gary Guyton & BenJarvis Green-Ellis (Patriots camp), Kyle Arrington (originally w/Philly), Danny Woodhead (originally w/Jets).

In regards to getting that "top guy", I do agree with the sentiment on some levels.  For example there are times when you need to have that great WR who'll open the field up for others and 4 good WR's aren't enough, or when you need that great LB who'll make that big stop or sack or int at the crucial time.  It can be frustrating when you don't have that player.  I think back to when Darius Butler was drafted, and just about yelling to the screen the name "Barwin!  Connor Barwin!" 

But on the other hand, look at all the players who've taken the field for the Patriots this year because of injury or whatnot (makes me wonder about conditioning, but that's beside the point).  When Brady went down, there was Cassel.  When Mayo went down, we had Spikes & Guyton & others.  There's been so many in the secondary that calling them "The Who" is entirely appropriate ... and yet, the wins are still there.

Indy lost Manning & Clark and then every game since.  Bears lost Cutler and are now in big trouble.  Chiefs are struggling without Cassel.  I've focused on QB's alot there, but the fact is that the Pats have lost players this season and still get things done.  The Patriot Way is working.

Now they have to do is make it work in the playoffs again...

Sections
Shortcuts