This is why I hate sports writers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

This is why I hate sports writers

I'm watching Round the Horn right now and they are debating Peyton winnning the MVP.

Jay Mariote (douch*e that he is) just made the case "he did more with nothing and that is what the award is about"

Couple of points...

1. TB did "more with nothing" for years 2001-2006, won 3 SB's and never won the award.

2. Peyton won those awards during those years because that team was loaded with WR's.

3. TB finally wins the award in 2007 with weapons like Moss, Stallworth & Welker.

I love how these guys change their opinions over and over...

I didn't want to turn this into a serious debate... but I just thought that was funny.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jedinate. Show jedinate's posts

Re: This is why I hate sports writers

More with NOTHING?? Who are the Viking's recievers again? (Other than the rookie from Florida, what's his face?).

Peyton has two guys that caught a 100 passes AND made the Pro Bowl!!!! (a more important milestone than an undefeated season apparently). How is that nothing??

Please !!! All notions of fandom aside, without Favre, ALL Vikings opponents would have stacked 8 in the box and pretty much shut them down. They would have been lucky to make .500.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

MVP is almost never about most valuable player in any sport. It's usually about the guy with the most obvious impressive season.

In Peyton's defense though I will say I believe is is very valuable to his team.

Although I have absolutely nothing to back up what I am about to say, I have a difficult time imagining Tony Dungy and the Colts going 11-5 at any point in time together without Peyton Manning.

I don't follow then so I don't know for sure but from a far he seems to be the consistent driving force behind there success.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I'll bite -

In 2003 & 04, the 2 years Manning won the MVP during your period of question,

Brady had:

1.  The #1 and #2 ranked defense by pts in the NFL.  By contrast Manning's defenses were #20 and #19 respectively. 

2.  You are not going to take the 2004 MVP from Manning which was the year he set all of his records (much the same way you would not take the 2007 from Brady). 

3.  The award is given for regular season excellence and awarded (at least this year) prior to the first playoff game.

4.  In 03 & 04 the Brady to Manning comparisons are as follows: 

Passer Rtg - 03-TB 86 / PM 99    04- TB 93 / PM 121
    TD/INT - 03-  TB 23/12; PM 29/10  04-  TB 28/14; PM 49/10

5.  In 2008 - The patriots were 11-5 with a QB that had not started since high school better than 2009, a year in which the Pats were a preseason consensus Superbowl Favorite.  Does not help Brady. 

6.  Pats fans do not give enough credit to their  receivers in the superbowl days.

7.  As far as the vikings are concerned, picking them as an 8-8 team without Farve when they were 10-6 last year is questionable logic, imo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Yeah, MVP has lost its way.  There are times though, when it does get it right.  That said, it might as well be called the Best QB/RB Award.  Quarterbacks overwhelmingly win it, runnings backs are the next most popular recipient.  2 defenders have received it.  It's impossible to objectively give out these awards anyway.  There are simply too many variables.  Sure, the Colts would stink without Manning this year.  There are a half dozen other teams that would stink without their starting QB this year.  How do you think the Saints would do without Brees, Chargers without Rivers, Vikings without Favre, Cowboys without Romo, and I could go on and on.

Heck, I could make a case based on last Sunday that Welker is the MVP...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"I'm watching Round the Horn right now and they are debating Peyton winnning the MVP."

Somebody still watches that garbage? Switch to The Food Network. No sports. No politics. No terrorists. No corporate criminals. Just food.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Hate to say this but Brett Favre should have been this years MVP. We all remember the joke that was the Viking passing game last season and post season. Well they are one of the best in the business now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Notice how they dont give it AFTER the season is over??? If they did Brady would have won it hands down after the 01,03, and 04 seasons as well. He was the reason we won the bowl those 3 years.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

CC - its a conspiracy.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Encinitas - the last 2 colts losses in the playoffs were not on manning.  he did his part. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Dogg I don't like the colts but it has absolutely nothing to do with Manning. I hate the competition committee and all the meddling that Polian does with the rules with his other cronies on the committee. I do "respect" his GM ability though. His track record in Buffalo and Indy speaks for itself.

I think Peyton is the best in the game. I think Peyton finally won in spite of Dungy.

I don't follow the colts by any stretch of the imagination but can you tell me something. Does the colts front office or personnel departments ever get raided? If not why not? What does that say about them if they don't? If they don't I think that speaks even more to how good Peyton is because the rest of the league wouldn't think much of his organizations coaches and or scouts.

If they don't get raided then I think it also speaks more favorably to how impressive it has been for the Patriots to keep their winning ways going considering the many defectors they have had to endure this decade.

Can you list all the front office personnel people they have lost this decade. The ones stolen/persuaded away this decade. Obviously not including ones the organization canned or moved on from.

thanks

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson WAS the Titans this year

Sections
Shortcuts