This is Why Mike Reiss is the Best!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

This is Why Mike Reiss is the Best!

On his weekly chat today he stated this:

I have been having some internal philosophical debates in my head about what media is these days. What are we trying to accomplish? When I got into this business, I thought we were supposed to tell people what they needed to know. Now I think we're trending in a dangerous area where we report based on what will get clicks. It bothers me...

... I'm not perfect, but when I see a company soliciting publicity for dropping a boatload of Butterfingers in Boston and thanking Wes Welker for his drop -- and then some report on it to give that company exactly what they want (publicity) -- it makes me shake my head. What are we doing here?

Amen, Mike!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Re: This is Why Mike Reiss is the Best!

Boy did he hit the nail on the head. God bless Mike Reiss

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Kind of funny. Mike just gave them the publicity they were seeking too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: This is Why Mike Reiss is the Best!:
    [QUOTE]Kind of funny. Mike just gave them the publicity they were seeking too.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Well he didn't mention there name so you have to give him credit he used them as an example while trying to limit the publicity he provides

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7553934/being-too-hard-patriots

Rick Reilly has a good article on this subject.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

The only thing I can say is....

It took you this long to figure that out?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nZone. Show nZone's posts

The city of Boston should dump them a hefty fine for littering.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

lol - I was just going to start a thread on his comments.  Mike Reiss is what one would consider a consumate professional.  I am sometimes amazed reading his pieces and comparing them to other pieces written on ESPN.com. - the gap in quality is remarkable.  Reiss just needs to work on his on-camera comfort level a bit and hopefully he can become a regular contributor on tv and try to bring some sense to the madhouse that ESPN has become.  I seriously doubt that the "sports" network they currently have is what they envisioned when they started out.  Tabloid journalism, trash talking, and idiocy at its finest. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]The city of Boston should dump them a hefty fine for littering.
    Posted by nZone[/QUOTE]

They actually did get fined for illegal dumping also. I think it was on Comcast, but when I saw the story they made sure not to say the name of the company that did it.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

[QUOTE]http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7553934/being-too-hard-patriots Rick Reilly has a good article on this subject.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

TrueChamp - Thanks for the link.  I completely agree with Rick's point.  I felt the disappoinment in not winning (I started to type "disappointment in losing", but changed it), but the level of crazy comments and misdirected anger - well I just don't get it...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Kind of funny. Mike just gave them the publicity they were seeking too.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]
    Well, he didn't mention the company name just the act.  We understand his point, though.  (-;

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Anytime a <expletive> like Jason Whitlock can get national publicity for the trash that comes out of his mouth and fingertips then you know something is wrong with journalism.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Breer is hack...how he got a higher profile job, I'll never know.  Notice he doesn't spend much time around this area anymore.  He was despised on here.

I really like Reiss...he's great.  At one point I was looking at getting into sports journalism (long time ago).  I remember that he was at some broadcasting expo a couple years ago somewhere around the Boston area.  I would have still loved to pick his brain on the subject even though I'm fully entrenched in my current career.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

I'll alter the thread a bit, but similar vane. Ted Williams dubbed the Boston press, "the Knights of the Keyboard". He hated them and for good reason, they treated him like crap because, ultimately, as men, they were jealous and they wanted to cut this arrogant young gun down to size. In Boston that's what I saw with Skank, Borges and Ryan, jealous old azz wipes going after Belichick to cut him down. Unfortunately, the pen is mightier than the sword. These guys don't have to be homers, they can pick the other team to win, but to be (undeclared of course, because their chicken hearts) enemies of the team and its leadership. Vergonha (that's Portuguese for Shame on You!).  And, if you check the New York Times, Post, etc., not one ugly article on the Giants, Coughlin, of course not, they all picked the Giants and supported the team. Knights of the keyboards...vergonha!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]I'll alter the thread a bit, but similar vane. Ted Williams dubbed the Boston press, "the Knights of the Keyboard". He hated them and for good reason, they treated him like crap because, ultimately, as men, they were jealous and they wanted to cut this arrogant young gun down to size. In Boston that's what I saw with Skank, Borges and Ryan, jealous old azz wipes going after Belichick to cut him down. Unfortunately, the pen is mightier than the sword. These guys don't have to be homers, they can pick the other team to win, but to be (undeclared of course, because their chicken hearts) enemies of the team and its leadership. Vergonha (that's Portuguese for Shame on You!).  And, if you check the New York Times, Post, etc., not one ugly article on the Giants, Coughlin, of course not, they all picked the Giants and supported the team. Knights of the keyboards...vergonha!
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

God could not have said it better. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

writers at the post are homers, in boston we have guys who try so hard to not be homers, that they end up hating on the boston teams

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

hang the Butterfingers Crowd from a yard arm

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In response to "Re: This is Why Mike Reiss is the Best!": [QUOTE]writers at the post are homers, in boston we have guys who try so hard to not be homers, that they end up hating on the boston teams Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE] True, the Post is trash, but the Times, "All the New that's Fit to Print" fuggedabodit, they supported their team, it's sports, it's totally natural, yes natural, to support the home team. It's unnatural to hate on the home team like smarmy Skank, awkward Ryan, and (the borrower) Borges.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Agree Reiss is the best. He knows football. He write coherent sentences. He dosen't yell, name call, or sensationalize. He respects the game, players, and fans.
    Glad he did call out some portion of the nonsense. Been way too much blow back after the SB game this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Reiss is a class act. He's not saying anything new but eyeball-whoring is a huge issue across journalism including sports. We can easily think of some really stupid articles on the Pats published with that in mind on this site recently.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is Why Mike Reiss is the Best! : Well he didn't mention there name so you have to give him credit he used them as an example while trying to limit the publicity he provides
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

As media types go, he's very decent from what I can tell.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Reiss has permanent Fence Post dimples embedded on his azz.

Sections
Shortcuts