This Patriot team is going to the Super Bowl and will win it.

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Re: This Patriot team is going to the Super Bowl and will win it.

Pretty happy with the offense, certainly competitive w/ 2007, but a little different in how it's done. Defensively? Not BB's best....not close.

With a little luck, we will go deep in playoffs. If there is no significant improvement in the pass rush and secondary, it may be an early round exit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

How 'bout this, the Pats offense didn't lose the game, the Giants defense won it. 

Oh wait, isn't that the same?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

I have no doubt in my mind. This team is the best it has been on offense since 2004. Yes that is my honest opinion. At least if Hernandez comes back healthy and can contribute. This defense is not playing consistent enough but has all the intangibles. They hit HARD, they scare the hell out of RB's(despite Sundays trouble with 2 damn good ones) and they get timely turnovers.

This new found commitment to utilizing the run game is paying dividends for Tommy and keeping turnovers down. It will be the difference in keeping post season defense's guessing. I believe this roster has as much talent then even the 07 team as our defense played well that year but were very old.

We have already weathered several O-line issues and remain one of the best units in the league. Offense is the key to winning a SB in this "wide open passing league" (as our old friend Bill Parcells just put it) and we are no longer 1 dimensional. They will score more then there previous 15.5 ppg average and utilize clock and field position where they haven't before.

We will win the Super bowl this year. I truly believe that, and then let's just hope that Bill Belichick doesn't read this forum and decide to quit because of the ever complaining, sky is falling fan base that thinks he can't acquire talent. Oh and that he can't re-produce the dynasty era defense even though all of his coaches have been robbed and the league changed it's rules to the tune that 19 frig.gin QB's are on pace for 4,000 yards???

Anyway I think this team is going to do it this year, it is just my opinion. I think this is one of the better teams BB has ever assembled, and I think by playoff time it will be near unstoppable.

I think the biggest difference between this year and last year is the competition. Let's be real, we had a pretty easy road to the Super Bowl last season.

I think this year's run will be more difficult, especially if we dont get the bye. I can foresee a schedule that will have us at home against the steelers, away at DEN, and away at HOU.

I don't think the 2011 team would make it through that schedule. We had a lot of things go our way last season.

As for this team. I've said this many times, if Brady is on his A game then no defense can stop us. And Brady will need his A game for 3 to 4 straight playoff games. I'm not counting on this defense making a 180 and becoming great in the playoffs.

I wouldn't say last playoffs defense didnt play as well as people remembered. Flacco missed two wide open bombs to Torrey Smith, and somehow Lee Evans didn't hold onto that game winner.

The defense didn't force a single three and out in the Super Bowl and allowed Eli to rip through them on NYG's last drive. Offense didn't play great either, but I didn't think too much of the D either.

I'm glad you're optimistic. I am hopeful that this team can win it all too. However, close games absolutely terrify me, and we all know that these playoff games will be close

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

In response to seymonster's comment:

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:

Obviously, you missed the beginning of the game, where a safety, followed by a 1st and 10 from the Pats 30 put them in a 9-0 hole. Despite this, they held the Giants scoreless for the remainder of the half, so the offense could catch up and take a 10-9 lead.

Obviuosly, you missed the second half offense, which after scoring on the opening drive of the half to go up 17-9, failed to put another point on the board for the remainder of the game.

A defense that gives up 12 points in the Super Bowl has played well enough to win. The offense could not score.

+1

+100,000+ (for those of us who are reasonable and intelligent/honest Pats fans)

The defense still gave up 19 points. Even if a drive started at the 30, the team still couldve held them to a FG

However, when it mattered most, this defense absolutely got ripped by Eli and the Giants offense. They also had zero 3 and outs, which limits the amount of time our offense holds the ball. That being said,  the offense underachieved more than the defense. Brady was on fire at the end of the second quarter and beginning of the third...everything else was horrible

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

SEEING IS (NOT) BELIEVING ReissBy Mike Reiss
    ESPNBoston.com
    Archive

Of all the stories that ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi has told of his time with the New England Patriots, one that resonates is about when the team was in the middle of a rough stretch and players felt it was only a matter of time until they started playing winning football again.

That's when Bill Belichick would utter the following words: "Based on what?!?"

The point was that players couldn't just expect it to happen; they had to go out and make it happen. Up to that point, they hadn't.

So based on what we've seen from the 2012 team, can anyone decisively say this defensive unit will be good enough to win when it counts in the playoffs?

I can't.

What I see is a unit that reminds me of the 2010 defense. That was the year the 14-2 Patriots led the NFL in takeaways (38) and turnover differential (plus-28), but also finished last on third down, 30th in passing yards allowed per game, and 30th in first downs allowed.

We all remember what happened in the playoffs: The top-seeded Patriots had their turnover run end, and the result was a painful loss to the New York Jets, one that now serves as a reminder that a defense has to be built on more than just turnovers. If it isn't, it's like building a house on a shaky foundation.

This is what concerns me most about the 2012 Patriots defense, which has run into many of the same problems that the 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008 defenses did as well: the pass rush is inconsistent, extra pressure is used infrequently and the coverage in the secondary has been shaky at best. It often makes average quarterbacks look like All-Pros. This has been a consistent issue, even as the Patriots keep winning.

The defense does hit hard, and it does seem to have a knack for creating the timely turnover. Those are good qualities to have, but as 2010 showed us, it's hard to play championship football if that's what you are relying on.

For those who say otherwise and believe this is a defense that could win a championship, we ask one question: Based on what?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Neal Page's comment:

In response to seymonster's comment:

Obviously, you missed the beginning of the game, where a safety, followed by a 1st and 10 from the Pats 30 put them in a 9-0 hole. Despite this, they held the Giants scoreless for the remainder of the half, so the offense could catch up and take a 10-9 lead.

Obviuosly, you missed the second half offense, which after scoring on the opening drive of the half to go up 17-9, failed to put another point on the board for the remainder of the game.

A defense that gives up 12 points in the Super Bowl has played well enough to win. The offense could not score.

+1

+100,000+ (for those of us who are reasonable and intelligent/honest Pats fans)

- 1000,000,000 to rubes who don't understand the game. When your D can't get off the field you won't score much junior. We've been over this, but you're to dense and/or dishonest to get it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I have no doubt in my mind. This team is the best it has been on offense since 2004. Yes that is my honest opinion. At least if Hernandez comes back healthy and can contribute. This defense is not playing consistent enough but has all the intangibles. They hit HARD, they scare the hell out of RB's(despite Sundays trouble with 2 damn good ones) and they get timely turnovers.

This new found commitment to utilizing the run game is paying dividends for Tommy and keeping turnovers down. It will be the difference in keeping post season defense's guessing. I believe this roster has as much talent then even the 07 team as our defense played well that year but were very old.

We have already weathered several O-line issues and remain one of the best units in the league. Offense is the key to winning a SB in this "wide open passing league" (as our old friend Bill Parcells just put it) and we are no longer 1 dimensional. They will score more then there previous 15.5 ppg average and utilize clock and field position where they haven't before.

We will win the Super bowl this year. I truly believe that, and then let's just hope that Bill Belichick doesn't read this forum and decide to quit because of the ever complaining, sky is falling fan base that thinks he can't acquire talent. Oh and that he can't re-produce the dynasty era defense even though all of his coaches have been robbed and the league changed it's rules to the tune that 19 friggggin QB's are on pace for 4,000 yards???

Anyway I think this team is going to do it this year, it is just my opinion. I think this is one of the better teams BB has ever assembled, and I think by playoff time it will be near unstoppable.

I agree, despite the current woes of the defense. (The one caveat; no injuries to major players.)

How quickly some forget that at 9 weeks in last year, our D last year was every bit as bad as this year's version, possibly even worse. But they tightened things up in time for the playoffs, and played more than well enough to win the Super Bowl.

They have more talent this year, and they will get it together.

Obviously  last year's D didn't play well enough to win the SB if they lost it on the last minutes Giants' drive.

Babe I'll save you some time. The Defense let them go down the Field and Score Winning TD. Nothing else matters. Pretty close, right.

Lots of other things matter. For example.... A D that couldn't get off the field matters as it severely restricts the O's number of  possessions. A D that can't get a single turnover matters. Idiotic 12 men on the field penalties matter.

People who understand this game understand factors like that are crucial to the conclusions drawn.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

How 'bout this, the Pats offense didn't lose the game, the Giants defense won it. 

The Pats' defense didn't lose the game - the Giant's offense won it. They stayed on the field and limited our offensive possessions.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Wish I could share in your enthusiasm, but as we discussed before, if the Pats cannot close out games by maintaining 4th qtr leads, this team will not go anywhere in the playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

We will win the Super bowl this year. I truly believe that, and then let's just hope that Bill Belichick doesn't read this forum and decide to quit because of the ever complaining, sky is falling fan base that thinks he can't acquire talent. Oh and that he can't re-produce the dynasty era defense even though all of his coaches have been robbed and the league changed it's rules to the tune that 19 friggggin QB's are on pace for 4,000 yards???

I agree, despite the current woes of the defense. (The one caveat; no injuries to major players.)

How quickly some forget that at 9 weeks in last year, our D last year was every bit as bad as this year's version, possibly even worse. But they tightened things up in time for the playoffs, and played more than well enough to win the Super Bowl.

They have more talent this year, and they will get it together.

Obviously  last year's D didn't play well enough to win the SB if they lost it on the last minutes Giants' drive.

Babe I'll save you some time. The Defense let them go down the Field and Score Winning TD. Nothing else matters. Pretty close, right.

Lots of other things matter. For example.... A D that couldn't get off the field matters as it severely restricts the O's number of  possessions. A D that can't get a single turnover matters. Idiotic 12 men on the field penalties matter.

People who understand this game understand factors like that are crucial to the conclusions drawn.

A lot of people understand the importance of turnovers.  The only (2) turnovers in last year's Super Bowl were by New England's offense... period.

The defense played better than expected.  They gave up fewer points in the SB than the 2003 or 2004 defense.

The offense, after scoring to start the 3rd using the no huddle, didn't score at all for remainder of two quarters and turned it over to start the 4th quarter on a first down play.  

They ended the game with the ball, a minute left and three straight dropped passes; live by the pass, die by the pass.

This is the same team with a more athletic defense, better play calling, better balance offensively...  this is the year.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:

Hmm What a SHOCKER-NE fans spouting off about the SB and how the pats are going to win.

Remember that old skelaton in the pats closet Gang!The Curse of Spygate! may it live in infamy!Since that ugly fiasco where BB was told to stop cheating,arrogantly went ahead and cheated got caught cheating and was punished for cheating(in my opinion he should have been thrown out of the League but that is another subject for another day)the pats haven't won the BIG GAME. And you guys thought the Curse of the Bambino was a long run?!YIPES!

At least as a Jets fan,you'll always have 1968 and your boozebag of a hero Joe Namath to look up to.Remember the game?Lyndon Johnson was president then and man hadn't set foot on the moon yet.

And speaking of blatant cheating,here's something you might like.Enjoy the trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxqN_t9XI64

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:

Hmm What a SHOCKER-NE fans spouting off about the SB and how the pats are going to win.

Remember that old skelaton in the pats closet Gang!The Curse of Spygate! may it live in infamy!Since that ugly fiasco where BB was told to stop cheating,arrogantly went ahead and cheated got caught cheating and was punished for cheating(in my opinion he should have been thrown out of the League but that is another subject for another day)the pats haven't won the BIG GAME. And you guys thought the Curse of the Bambino was a long run?!YIPES!

We are all just pretending here.  We know that the superior Jets with the best quarterback and best head coach in football are just biding their time.  The Lombardi Trophy is theirs to lose. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to JintsFan's comment:

and that he can't re-produce the dynasty era defense even though all of his coaches have been robbed and the league changed it's rules to the tune that 19 QB's are on pace for 4,000 yards???

I'm glad you have confidence. I think this team is STREETS ahead of the 2004 team offensively. Dillon wasn't that much better than Ridley. Weker is better than any WR they had. And Gronk and Hernandez are waay better than any TEs they had. 

I would just add .... it doesn't matter if 19 QBs are on pace to throw for 8000 yards. Rule changes effect everyone equally. A middle of the pack defense is still a middle of the pack defense in any era. It' s non-point to bring up to the forum. That would be like saying the winless Bucs were underrated because of rule changes and they would have been better a decade earlier. Or that the Packers didn't really have the best scoring offense last season because passing is so easy. If it is so easy, everyone should be #1, but they aren't.

Z-BO,

It is absolutely a fair point. I said fans here unrealistically judge our recent defense's to our SB era dominate defense's even though the latter was formed in a different era. With BB's bend don't break defensive scheme we will probably never see a top 5 defense(statistically speaking) again. If we had not of set the bar so high then I say fans here wouldn't be so upset with our defense that has has been middle of the pack in scoring. We would be happy with what we have, especially considering we have one of the best offense's in NFL history.Our defense giving up 17 and 19 points should have been good enough to win at least 1 of those SB's despite it's short comings.

Your comparison above about the Bucs isn't valid because the Bucs didn't win 3 SB's with a dominant defense like we did. I am talking about our team and how our expectations of the rebuilt defense will never be met by fans because of the rule changes and because this team is offensively driven, with a majority of its salary cap devoted to offensive players. Shoot our 2 TE's make 100 million dollars.

It doesn't matter ... on defense, everyone would be better against the pass (slightly) 10 years ago ..the top five, the bottom five, the middle ten, whatever ... and NE would have still be at the bottom of the leauge against the pass, even if their RAW numbers were sightly lower, because their DB crew is not very good no matter what era or how you slice it. 

And I agree, coming out of the weak AFC they can definitely represent this conference in the Superbowl. Figuring out a way to play Balty and Houston in New England would make it a lot rosier, imo. 

At least we play 2 of the best teams in the league toward the end of the year. I think this will help get us get "playoff ready" and will greatly improve our mental toughness going into the post season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

We will win the Super bowl this year. I truly believe that, and then let's just hope that Bill Belichick doesn't read this forum and decide to quit because of the ever complaining, sky is falling fan base that thinks he can't acquire talent. Oh and that he can't re-produce the dynasty era defense even though all of his coaches have been robbed and the league changed it's rules to the tune that 19 QB's are on pace for 4,000 yards???

Hope so. But, the way things look now, the Patriots will end up with the 3rd overall seeding in the AFC. That means that the Pats will have no bye week, and will have to host a wildcard team. It also means that, in all likelihood, the Pats will have to beat both the Ravens and Texans on the road, to earn another SB trip.

That's a mighty tall order.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Not only will the Pats win the Super Bowl, but no sooner than BB finishes his victory speech will the usual suspects on here be criticizing the team's performance, giving them C and B grades, talking about how lucky they got to face weak competition, and whining that there is absolutely no way, ever, that the Pats will win the Super Bowl the following year unless Big Changes are made.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to themightypatriots's comment:

Not only will the Pats win the Super Bowl, but no sooner than BB finishes his victory speech will the usual suspects on here be criticizing the team's performance, giving them C and B grades, and whining that there is absolutely no way, ever, that the Pats will win the Super Bowl the following year unless Big Changes are made.

Yawn! LOL!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

We will win the Super bowl this year. I truly believe that, and then let's just hope that Bill Belichick doesn't read this forum and decide to quit because of the ever complaining, sky is falling fan base that thinks he can't acquire talent. Oh and that he can't re-produce the dynasty era defense even though all of his coaches have been robbed and the league changed it's rules to the tune that 19 QB's are on pace for 4,000 yards???

Hope so. But, the way things look now, the Patriots will end up with the 3rd overall seeding in the AFC. That means that the Pats will have no bye week, and will have to host a wildcard team. It also means that, in all likelihood, the Pats will have to beat both the Ravens and Texans on the road, to earn another SB trip.

That's a mighty tall order.

It could be the best thing for us. Go on the road and earn tough playoff victories. Increase mental toughness. The Houston regular season game is going to be great game from an evaluation stand point. I personnally think we will whip Houston by limiting Arian Foster and making Matt Shaub beat us. Regardless, much like last year I am more worried about the NFC.

Sections
Shortcuts