This team is sleeping at the wheel..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

This team is sleeping at the wheel..

Before I get beat up by the Belichick drones, let me just say that I agree with the fact that free agency is not the TOTAL answer to improving your team but it can be an integral part if it's done correctly. In the case of the Patriots, they have played the free agency game poorly as of late..especially last year which was a complete disaster! They continue to turn a blind eye to key needs, play guessing games with the overall market and demonstrate poor judgement on where they actually spend money when they decide to actually spend it.
    I for one have ZERO confidence in this regime. I have loved BB and his approach ever since he signed on but I feel that he has lost something. Every regime whether it be a company CEO or a world leader needs to change sooner or later. Philosophies grow stale, staff, citizens or in this case players lose faith and confidence as well. The Patriots are at a crossroads. As much good as this organization has done for the team, change needs to happen..if not now, then soon. It will be another dissapointing season for our team with BB making ALL the decisions, running a near dictatorship. Many of us are dissapointed with the FA moves..or lack of as we watch the roster thin out even more. We hang our hopes again on the draft which I beleive will follow the same pattern of "trade down for value". We also hang on to hopes that BB has "something up his sleeve" because we're conditioned to think that way. What surprise is in store for the Pats? Jason Taylor or some other "old" veteran cast-off? BB seems to be obsessed with stockpiling picks like a horder that can't part with whatever he/she obtains. When is it time to cash them in? I think not competeing for Boldin was a mistake as well as not getting more agressive for some defensive players (maybe not Peppers) especially in an uncapped year. Part of me unfortunately hopes that BB crashes and burns with this season which will force Kraft to take a harder looks at where this team is headed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: This team is sleeping at the wheel..

This free agency class was weak...I think too many people are overrating it.  What did you expect them to do sign Dansby for his ridicoulos contract?  How about Cromartie?  Wouldnt you consider the Bodden deal a free agent win?  He had other suitors but chose to stay in NE.

Of all the other defensive FA's that got picked up 2 were 4-3 players and the rest are old.  Im sure they will make some more moves, but lets not complain until the season unfolds.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to Re: This team is sleeping at the wheel..:
    This free agency class was weak...I think too many people are overrating it.  What did you expect them to do sign Dunsby for his ridicoulos contract?  How about Cromartie?  Wouldnt you consider the Bodden deal a free agent win?  He had other suitors but chose to stay in NE. Of all the other defensive FA's that got picked up 2 were 4-3 players and the rest are old.  Im sure they will make some more moves, but lets not complain until the season unfolds.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

Why not Dansby? I disagree with the fact that you can't pay out a big dollar contract. Other teams seems to find a way right? And teams other than the Pats win Super Bolws so why are we so special?
    Oh, and Cromartie makes the Jets better. That's a great move for them unfortunately.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

they still have time to trade some of their picks for a big time player on another team!  --Hopefully this is still on the Pats radar.  I agree that they DO NEED to do something like this! 
    (Example - Like they did in 07 - Moss / Welker)...

Ex this year -- />B. Marshall - then you got that #1 WR after moss moves on....

This would answer the Jets move too - Cromartie / Revis - versus Moss / Marshall - WOW - then Welker coming back mid Nov?...NICE stuff...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

My bad Dansby....I would have been more upset if they signed him.  The last time they gave big money to an outside FA it blew up in thier face (Adalius Thomas)...now I do believe that NE has not been using him right, but all that shows me is that everyone does not fit this teams style.

As far as the jests, they already had the best defense, so thats no big deal.  They just lost thier most important offensive weapon.

What upsets me more about this organization is that they dont pay thier own...I know BB runs a certain type of defense and if a player blossoms in that system I would hope that they would compensate that player when his contract was up.  But to bring in an outsider and expect them to have this amazing impact is highly unlikely.

Look at the Steelers, they NEVER sign FA's and they have won 2SB's in the past 5yrs.  The Saints used the NE approach from 2000-2005 and signed no name FA's and young players and won an SB.  Not too mention that they finished last in thier division last year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

What upsets me more about this organization is that they dont pay thier own...Posted by patsfaninsatx

They just paid fork big money and re-signed bodden, neil and TBC within the past two weeks. How is this not "paying their own"?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to This team is sleeping at the wheel..:
    Before I get beat up by the Belichick drones, let me just say that I agree with the fact that free agency is not the TOTAL answer to improving your team but it can be an integral part if it's done correctly. In the case of the Patriots, they have played the free agency game poorly as of late..especially last year which was a complete disaster! They continue to turn a blind eye to key needs, play guessing games with the overall market and demonstrate poor judgement on where they actually spend money when they decide to actually spend it. I for one have ZERO confidence in this regime. I have loved BB and his approach ever since he signed on but I feel that he has lost something. Every regime whether it be a company CEO or a world leader needs to change sooner or later. Philosophies grow stale, staff, citizens or in this case players lose faith and confidence as well. The Patriots are at a crossroads. As much good as this organization has done for the team, change needs to happen..if not now, then soon. It will be another dissapointing season for our team with BB making ALL the decisions, running a near dictatorship. Many of us are dissapointed with the FA moves..or lack of as we watch the roster thin out even more. We hang our hopes again on the draft which I beleive will follow the same pattern of "trade down for value". We also hang on to hopes that BB has "something up his sleeve" because we're conditioned to think that way. What surprise is in store for the Pats? Jason Taylor or some other "old" veteran cast-off? BB seems to be obsessed with stockpiling picks like a horder that can't part with whatever he/she obtains. When is it time to cash them in? I think not competeing for Boldin was a mistake as well as not getting more agressive for some defensive players (maybe not Peppers) especially in an uncapped year. Part of me unfortunately hopes that BB crashes and burns with this season which will force Kraft to take a harder looks at where this team is headed.
    Posted by smorgan86

If I am a Belichich drone, then you are a Pats hating troll.....A team is not made during the first 5 days of free agency.....calm the heck down......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I think what he meant here - is the Pats wait too long before paying for their own.  If they just re-up these guys before their contract is almost at its end, then it would cost the Pats actually LESS than what these potential FA's would get now.  Ex - Asante.  If they re-uped Wilfork before they let it go this long, it would have cost the Pats a lot less than what they just forked (no Pun) out for him.  Then maybe they would have had that 'extra' money to pull the trigger on a Boldin type of WR....

In Response to Re: This team is sleeping at the wheel.. : They just paid fork big money and re-signed bodden, neil and TBC within the past two weeks. How is this not "paying their own"?
    Posted by unclealfie

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

@unclealfie...I was not talking about this year. I should have been more specific.  I was very pleased to see what they did this offseason.  In years past they would have let a couple of these guys walk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

This winning the division stuff is really getting old. It's pretty sad when we can't even get to the SB.
     Come on everybody! Grab your pitchforks! Let's storm the castle!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

TOTALLY disagree with you.  Re-sign the solid, fill from the "second" tier free agents, and Draft/Trade

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

this is stupid.

so lets see we re-signed:

our best NT in Wilfork who is a top 5 D-linemen.
    our best O-lineman in Mankins
    our best corner back in Bodden
    our sack leader Banta-Cain.   

but somehow we are doing nothing.  well lets take your approach:

LETS SIGN JULIUS PEPPERS to deal worth DOUBLE WIlfork's. and for what? to play a position he has NEVER PLAYED before. 

oh lets go trade for Boldin and sign him to a mega deal. im sure the defense wont mind losing Big Vince since hes not the anchor or anything.  and im sure our DBs will be just fine without our best Corner back.

think realisticly people.  not in fantasy land.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So what head coach/personnel guy would you rather have?

Us poor fans shouldn't have to put up with winning 10 games or more in 8 of the last 9 seasons, with the lone sub 10 win season being a 9 win season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Its like people think this is Fantasy Football...NO! This is "Real" Football, where the money is real. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

In Response to Re: This team is sleeping at the wheel.. : Why not Dansby? I disagree with the fact that you can't pay out a big dollar contract. Other teams seems to find a way right? And teams other than the Pats win Super Bolws so why are we so special? Oh, and Cromartie makes the Jets better. That's a great move for them unfortunately.
    Posted by smorgan86

Dansby is a good player but not for the contract he signed.  He's not a guy who gets after the quarterback which is what we need.  Sorry but Cromartie is a head case.  He had one good year in 2007 and drastically went downhill from there.  I would rather have Bodden.  I think it's a good sign they are taking care of their own players first.  This is a horrible year for free agents and a great year for the draft. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to Re: This team is sleeping at the wheel.. : Why not Dansby?
    Posted by smorgan86

He's a run stuffer that can't cover on passing downs. Why overpay for a 2 down LB? If an opposing team goes pass happy he sits on the sidelines. You don't make plays sitting on the bench.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

Sign everybody, draft everyone
    Posted by bobbysu

Not saying that but they could spend to fill a few holes right? They have picks and they have money. Problem with the Pats and this front office is that they wait then react. Yeah, they signed Wilfork and Banta Caine and Bodden but they WAIT too long. They could in fact have done these contracts at the beginning of last season but the Pats love to hedge their bet. They are never proactive in terms of these extensions. So, if they would have aligned their own house first, guess what, they could have focused on the holes that they have. Right now not ONE single hole has been addressed yet we just got even thinner (losing Jarvis Green..another great example of proactive management!)
    In  nutshell.."what are they waiting for???"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Sometimes it's hard to detect sarcasm in an internet post.

This winning the division stuff is really getting old. It's pretty sad when we can't even get to the SB.  Come on everybody! Grab your pitchforks! Let's storm the castle!
    Posted by Cyberknot

But not always.

Incidentally, I'm in favor of storming the castle under any circumstances.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

with so many contracts expiring, with so many needs, what did people expect? So far, the team has NOT improved vs. last years team - but there's still time w/ free agency and upcoming draft....and player pick ups before training begins.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Look at Washington for example.  They spend a boat load of money in free agency every year with the exception of this year and look at where it's gotten them.  You can tell the free agent year this year is bad because even they haven't thrown their money around.  The best way to build a team is still through the draft.  I have to admit it but look at how well the Colts and Steelers have done.  They build through the draft, resign their players and fill in some holes here and there.  That's the way to go.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

the only reason people here are saying dansby is weak is because the pats were too cheap to pony up the dough

the phins arent asking him to be a pass rusher, they are asking him to control the middle of the field with crowder and its not like they grossly overpaid for his services...with any kind of safety play(which gibril wilson is incappable of), the phins win 2 or 3 more games than they did last year...nevermind the 8 or so season ending injuries they suffered

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

the only reason people here are saying dansby is weak is because the pats were too cheap to pony up the dough the phins arent asking him to be a pass rusher, they are asking him to control the middle of the field with crowder and its not like they grossly overpaid for his services...with any kind of safety play(which gibril wilson is incappable of), the phins win 2 or 3 more games than they did last year...nevermind the 8 or so season ending injuries they suffered
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

So you are assuming that those players are going to come back 100%? never mind the 9 free agents that they have to resign or replace.....

FYI, the Jests have 18 Free agent holes to fix......

Anyone saying that the Pats have been passed by the Jests and Maimi after the 5th day of free agency are idiots.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

with so many contracts expiring, with so many needs, what did people expect? So far, the team has NOT improved vs. last years team - but there's still time w/ free agency and upcoming draft....and player pick ups before training begins.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

NOBODY has......

Sections
Shortcuts