This was a one-sided 37-7 game if not for unassisted red-zone fumbles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

This was a one-sided 37-7 game if not for unassisted red-zone fumbles

TOP: Patriots 37:43 Bills 22:17 (HUGE Margin)

Plays: 89 to 61

Yards/rush: 4.5 to 4

3rd down efficiency: 11 of 20 versus 4 of 13

1st downs: 26 to 15

Total yards: 431 to 286

Defense held Bills to 150 yards passing! And to 5.6 yards per passing play. Average for 2012 7.7!

There is a lot to be happy about. The turnover issues are things a BB team will work on and fix. Controlling the clock like they did is a major positive sign. Last year they averaged 30:55 a game.

Ridley needs to have the ball superglued to his hands for the rest of the week but Vereen, Amendola and the defense played great. I really liked the throw-back grind-it-out Brady I saw today. Woohoo!

And please don't denigrate this performance by saying that the Bills are a lousy team. They are a legitimate professional NFL franchise and this was a divisional game. And our team won! Be happy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: This was a one-sided 37-7 game if not for unassisted red-zone fumbles

How do you know the outcome if this or that didn't happen?

Did you play it out on Madden?

Did you hop in your very own Tartis and change the future?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

IF a motorcycle had 4 wheels and a top it would be a car.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

There are no bad wins. This was a good win against a division opponent on the road. Also there were no major injuries that I know of.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

There are no bad wins. This was a good win against a division opponent on the road. Also there were no major injuries that I know of.

I disagree.  This was a bad win.  We made silly mistakes and played poorly.  We were very fortuneate to play a bad team with an inexperienced QB today, otherwise it would very likely have been a loss.     

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I disagree.  This was a bad win.  We made silly mistakes and played poorly.  We were very fortuneate to play a bad team with an inexperienced QB today, otherwise it would very likely have been a loss.     

If a motorcycle had four wheels and a top, it would be a car!

(just ribbing ya)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a good win then. They play badly and they still win. That's a good win.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

It's a good win then. They play badly and they still win. That's a good win.

[/QUOTE]

This was a very good win. They made early season mistakes which they should be able to correct. Last year, they were winning because they were forcing turnovers and playing a fast offense. This was a grinding victory with good D, good running, and clutch plays when they needed them. I am not saying all this just because they won. The positive signs would still have been there if they had lost a close one but it's even sweeter this way. I know there are a large number of naysayers in this most spoiled of species - the Patriot fan base - but there was a lot to be happy about in this game.

As for the intriguing comments above about the alchemy of turning motorcycles into cars, I bow to your power of sarcasm, and am duly chastened.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

1-0,that's all that counts!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

There were a number of crazy bounces. 

Normally when you hand the ball to the running back who runs it up the middle, you don't expect him to fumble the ball untouched, and then see a 70 yard runback for a touchdown. 

Normally the quarterback sneak on the goal line works.  When it doesn't work on fourth down, usually you expect the ball to still be on the 1 yard line, with the opponent in some danger of getting a safety. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Let's start a petition in which a bad win doesn't count and the Pats should be 0-1.  uh-huh!!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

How many people were biting their nails on the last minute drive ending in a 35 yard field goal?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

Defense held Bills to 150 yards passing! And to 5.6 yards per passing play. Average for 2012 7.7!

My game thoughts watching the game on DVR...

Agree with neimd, the only real negatives I saw for the first half were opening day jitters for Ridley, Ryan Allen and Thompkins.  I've said Bolden should be in competition for some of those carries, it worked out well for the Giants of the late 80's and early 90s to create competition for carries and we run the same system.  In his defense, the fumble by Ridley when he fell on his own was caused by that pss poor fake turf in Buffalo, why a NorthEast team wouldn't insist on natural grass is a mystery to me.

I stand by my prediction this defense could be among the league best, there were no glaring holes today, consistency is a good trait to have and there's room for improvement.

Slater is a special teams master, not only did he help draw a flag on Edelmens first punt return facemask by jumping up and causing a stink so the refs had to call it, but then he fielded a Ryan punt like a heat seeking missile almost diving catching it like a center fielder.

Vellano is great going forward, but as a gap protecter he gets blown off the ball, I hope we give his college roommate a tryout again, we need more mass.

Blount can return a kick or two as a change of pace returner, but he is no opening day kick returner, also he is the kind of runner who needs carries to get better as a runner, he needs to show more.

Ticky tack fouls all throughout this game...

Mayo just smothers in the middle of the field, understand that this the toughest part of the field to defend and he maintains it better than anyone.  With one more defensive tackle on the field along with Vince and Kelly, this guy would be a stat machine.

Game ball MVP to Kyle Arrington, that guy sux?

Vellano is great going forward, as a gap protecter he gets blown off the ball, I hope we give his college roommate a tryout again, we need more mass.

Buffalo is a good team, Dolphins a good team, the AFCEast is a very good division despite what the "experts" say.  Always has been since Parcells, Jimmy Johnson and Belichick arrived.

Very poignant moment 3:45 minutes into the 2nd quarter, they show the +70 turnover differential graphic from 2010-2012 and Dierdorf comments "that's what good football teams do... that is a mind numbing number."

Edelmen is Brown/Branch/Wes redux, if he splits snaps or works in tandem with Amendola than maybe both of them can stay healthy.

Safety play wasn't eye popping, but you didn't hear about them, despite the fact we weren't getting sacks, which makes them servicable to good.

Sudfeld's play was a freak play, was it the fake turf again, yeah I think so... can you tell I hate that garbage.

Woods and Manuel will be a good combo for a while.  Talib got burned.

Spikes overrunning plays he should be making, this entire team looks rusty, the fewer practices are having a negative effect on the opening day product.  Though I think it's highly likely Spikes partied at the strip club last night considering he needed an IV in the 1st quarter.

Prevent to start the 3rd, why?

Stevie Johnson was right.

CB McKelvin is a baller for Buffalo.

Solder played some Tightend in today's game, did you catch it?

Tommy fumbles the handoff in the endzone.

Nink just solid

We don't call Hightower's number nearly enough, if Mayo is overrated than what is Hightower?

Chandler Jones is surprisingly effective from the tackle position on passing downs.

False start in our endzone, that's on Brady because the whole line moved.

Cannon played max minutes, I'd like to see how many snaps he played tonight.

Edelmen slot nightmare.

Blount needs to run lower to the groung and assert his size.

Mankins protects his guys.

Vereen should play more, the guy is a slasher.

Boyce and Brady didn't get on the same page today.

Edelman should have had more TD's today, he dropped a couple in the endzone that hit him in the hands.

Ski, automatic today, he also drives it through the endzone on kickoffs

BS foul call on Mayo, he pulled up on that guy.

Stevie Johnson was wrong, he drops an easy one that could have ended the game.

Amendola... Wes who?

We looked better offensively in the preseason with Dobson as a focus point, part of the reason Thompkins had room to manuver in the preseason was that big outside WR stretching the field.

If Vereen can stay healthy, he is that every down back.

Amendola's injured?  Slot machine.

Huey and Solder, I love watching these guys block, blow open a hole for Vereen.

All in all, I saw some bad coaching (play calling), bad execution, confusion by rookies, but at the end of it all the Pats notched a win.  By season's end, health provided, this will be a championship caliber team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I have to agree that it would have been a large margin win for the Pats something like 35-14 if not for the turnovers. In the NFL unlike the College game most of these teams are not far off from each other if you spot them 3-4 turnovers a game esp. on the road!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

My takeaways:

Only thing that kept this game close was the Pats turnovers - period.

Overall D played well.  Only gave up 14 points and those were off turnovers. Would like to see more pressure on QB.

Although there may be questions on Amendola's durability he is one tough dude IMO.  He made some very tough catches in game-tight situations while dealing with a potentially very painful ding.

Edelman had himself a game and the Pats needed it.

Vereen is a very talented RB. I do want to see more of him

There is no reason, none, that Ridley can't become a very good RB in the NFL.  He needs to overcome his ball security issues.  Kevin Faulk did (another LSU product); Ridley can.  Ridley had exactly 4 fumbles last year while gaining over 1200 yards. 

Dough Morrone has a few things to learn about being an NFL H/C.  As soon as I saw that he was challenging the down-by-contact ruling in the 1st qtr I said "Why?"  NE had recovered if it was a fumble.  Continuing to run the hurry up when he needed to work the clock made no sense to me at all.   Just two observations and I'm neither an NFL H/C nor do I play one on tv.

There will be growing pains (as many of us thought there would be) with the young wideouts.  Thompkins has promise - he just needs to learn to play like a pro.

I'm unfamiliar with the term 'bad win.'  That wasn't exactly a Picasso but the Pats came out of Buffalo with a divisonal win on the road. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

My game thoughts watching the game on DVR...

Agree with neimd, the only real negatives I saw for the first half were opening day jitters for Ridley, Ryan Allen and Thompkins.  I've said Bolden should be in competition for some of those carries, it worked out well for the Giants of the late 80's and early 90s to create competition for carries and we run the same system.  In his defense, the fumble by Ridley when he fell on his own was caused by that pss poor fake turf in Buffalo, why a NorthEast team wouldn't insist on natural grass is a mystery to me.

I stand by my prediction this defense could be among the league best, there were no glaring holes today, consistency is a good trait to have and there's room for improvement.

Slater is a special teams master, not only did he help draw a flag on Edelmens first punt return facemask by jumping up and causing a stink so the refs had to call it, but then he fielded a Ryan punt like a heat seeking missile almost diving catching it like a center fielder.

Vellano is great going forward, but as a gap protecter he gets blown off the ball, I hope we give his college roommate a tryout again, we need more mass.

Blount can return a kick or two as a change of pace returner, but he is no opening day kick returner, also he is the kind of runner who needs carries to get better as a runner, he needs to show more.

Ticky tack fouls all throughout this game...

Mayo just smothers in the middle of the field, understand that this the toughest part of the field to defend and he maintains it better than anyone.  With one more defensive tackle on the field along with Vince and Kelly, this guy would be a stat machine.

Game ball MVP to Kyle Arrington, that guy sux?

Vellano is great going forward, as a gap protecter he gets blown off the ball, I hope we give his college roommate a tryout again, we need more mass.

Buffalo is a good team, Dolphins a good team, the AFCEast is a very good division despite what the "experts" say.  Always has been since Parcells, Jimmy Johnson and Belichick arrived.

Very poignant moment 3:45 minutes into the 2nd quarter, they show the +70 turnover differential graphic from 2010-2012 and Dierdorf comments "that's what good football teams do... that is a mind numbing number."

Edelmen is Brown/Branch/Wes redux, if he splits snaps or works in tandem with Amendola than maybe both of them can stay healthy.

Safety play wasn't eye popping, but you didn't hear about them, despite the fact we weren't getting sacks, which makes them servicable to good.

Sudfeld's play was a freak play, was it the fake turf again, yeah I think so... can you tell I hate that garbage.

Woods and Manuel will be a good combo for a while.  Talib got burned.

Spikes overrunning plays he should be making, this entire team looks rusty, the fewer practices are having a negative effect on the opening day product.  Though I think it's highly likely Spikes partied at the strip club last night considering he needed an IV in the 1st quarter.

Prevent to start the 3rd, why?

Stevie Johnson was right.

CB McKelvin is a baller for Buffalo.

Solder played some Tightend in today's game, did you catch it?

Tommy fumbles the handoff in the endzone.

Nink just solid

We don't call Hightower's number nearly enough, if Mayo is overrated than what is Hightower?

Chandler Jones is surprisingly effective from the tackle position on passing downs.

False start in our endzone, that's on Brady because the whole line moved.

Cannon played max minutes, I'd like to see how many snaps he played tonight.

Edelmen slot nightmare.

Blount needs to run lower to the groung and assert his size.

Mankins protects his guys.

Vereen should play more, the guy is a slasher.

Boyce and Brady didn't get on the same page today.

Edelman should have had more TD's today, he dropped a couple in the endzone that hit him in the hands.

Ski, automatic today, he also drives it through the endzone on kickoffs

BS foul call on Mayo, he pulled up on that guy.

Stevie Johnson was wrong, he drops an easy one that could have ended the game.

Amendola... Wes who?

We looked better offensively in the preseason with Dobson as a focus point, part of the reason Thompkins had room to manuver in the preseason was that big outside WR stretching the field.

If Vereen can stay healthy, he is that every down back.

Amendola's injured?  Slot machine.

Huey and Solder, I love watching these guys block, blow open a hole for Vereen.

All in all, I saw some bad coaching (play calling), bad execution, confusion by rookies, but at the end of it all the Pats notched a win.  By season's end, health provided, this will be a championship caliber team.

Very informative (I missed the game); alot of new parts still trying to mesh, as indicated in your last comment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

If not for the turnovers it could have been much different but don't forget it could have gone the other way too. How many penalties did the Bills commit to keep drives going or stop their own drives? Good teams don't commit those penalties so there is still a lot of work to go to beat those better teams

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

If not for the turnovers it could have been much different but don't forget it could have gone the other way too. How many penalties did the Bills commit to keep drives going or stop their own drives? Good teams don't commit those penalties so there is still a lot of work to go to beat those better teams

Eng, if the Pats were playing a good team yesterday, they would have had their collective A's handed to them, imo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I doubt letting a stiff playing his first NFL game put up a 105 is a trademark of an "among the best in the league" defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

We played badly. The Bills kept shooting themselves in the foot so we could stop playing badly by the end of the game.

We dodged a bullet in this one, thanks to the Bills dysfunction. We play like this against a good team, and we get destroyed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

We played badly. The Bills kept shooting themselves in the foot so we could stop playing badly by the end of the game.

We dodged a bullet in this one, thanks to the Bills dysfunction. We play like this against a good team, and we get destroyed.

[/QUOTE]

I understand how we all felt watching the game since it was so close. However, take away the two red-zone fumbles and we would all have felt very differently about this game. That's my only point.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I doubt letting a stiff playing his first NFL game put up a 105 is a trademark of an "among the best in the league" defense.

Says the guy who insisted all along that Tebow was an NFL caliber QB... you'll forgive me if I don't accept your talent evaluation of EJ Manuel.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We kept shooting ourselves in the foot, not the Bills, everyone of our players made mistakes whether it was Brady losing the snap on the goal line, Wilfork overpursuing, Talib getting burned, Ridley fumbling or the rookies (Allen, Thompkins) looked spooked on opening day.  Anyone who expected perfection in game one either has never watched pro sports or is a nitpicking negative nancy.  We won.  We could have blown them away if not for mistakes. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I understand how we all felt watching the game since it was so close. However, take away the two red-zone fumbles and we would all have felt very differently about this game. That's my only point.

It's very true, but trying to keep perspective on this board a bit. Don't want it to turn into the 80's Bears fans. The door swung both ways yesterday not just one. Without those turnovers it would be a different game but without the Bills penalities it would have been one too. It was a good grind it out win for sure but they made a lot of mistakes yesterday that against any well coached team would have lost. They have a lot of work to do before week 4