This Welker BS has to stop!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: This Welker BS has to stop!!

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

UGH.   The 3 TE set is being used to help the  flailing O-line.  They were using JE as a 3rd TE for replacement of Herns passing AND blocking.  Edelman is a better blocker but the idea was to replace Herns production, not Welkers.  That was plan B.

Edelman wouldn't have had as many snaps if Hern didn't go down.

Edelman is not a better blocker then Welker!  Plus, having Welker out there would serve as a blocker and also give the defense a concern about Welker going out for a pass.  Believe me when I say defenses do not fear Edelman.

In 2010 & 2011 combined, Julian Edelman saw 353 snaps as a receiver, and was targeted only 22 times, making 11 catches.  Edelman already has 98 snaps on this year.

Edelman is not a threat just like no other receiver was a threat to the D when the Patriots took Moss out of game plans. 

If you can't see whats going on here then you aren't paying attention, folks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

They aren't going to keep Welker after this season - so his role is being downsized.  Seems to make sense to me.

Next season hasn't started yet. Lets finish this one first and this one involves Welker.

Julian Edelman couldn't carry Welker jock strap on a good day.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to markrahobeth's comment:

Many complained after the last couple of seasons that the Pats needed to run the ball and have a more balanced attack.  Edelman is the better blocker.  You can't have it both ways.  More running = less Wes.

Are you serious??  First off, where is the proof he is the better blocker????  Edelman hasn't even been healthy enough to get on the field to build up any kind of track record.  Second, yea lets bench the guy that caught 100 passes each of the last 3 years because this other guy blocks better.....Someone wake me up from this nightmare please...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

HE's correct.  It's also why BB is loading up on TEs.  If you can't block as a TE here or a WR or RB, you won't fit here.

Edelman is a physical player, who for some reason gets completely disrespected by this fanbase.  It's like Dan Connolly. He's good, but everyone wants to pretend he isn't.

I'm surprised Edelman even made the team.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

IAre you serious??  First off, where is the proof he is the better blocker????  Edelman hasn't even been healthy enough to get on the field to build up any kind of track record.  Second, yea lets bench the guy that caught 100 passes each of the last 3 years because this other guy blocks better.....Someone wake me up from this nightmare please...

Yes, I'm serious.  The proof that he is the better blocker is that he is on the field instead of Wes.  When Hernandez went down the offense changed Welker was on the field and targeted often. 

Oh, you're one of those that believe BB wants to put the weaker team on the field to prove a point (although no one can seem to show me the point) and risk losing.  The Pats are a successful team.  I'll put my faith on the people who practice daily and evaluate talent daily, they have a pretty good track record.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

HE's correct.  It's also why BB is loading up on TEs.  If you can't block as a TE here or a WR or RB, you won't fit here.

Edelman is a physical player, who for some reason gets completely disrespected by this fanbase.  It's like Dan Connolly. He's good, but everyone wants to pretend he isn't.

You can't understand?  Here you go:

2011 Welker 122 catches 1,569 yards.  Edelman 4 catches 34 yards

2010 Welker 86 catches 848 yards.  Edelman 7 catches 86 yards.

2009 Welker 123 catches 13,48 yards.  Edelman 37 catches 359 yards.

Gee can't imagine why people want Welker over Edelman.  Best part is the "old" guy is coming off an incredible year while the "young" guy PEAKED his rookie year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Patsman3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IAre you serious??  First off, where is the proof he is the better blocker????  Edelman hasn't even been healthy enough to get on the field to build up any kind of track record.  Second, yea lets bench the guy that caught 100 passes each of the last 3 years because this other guy blocks better.....Someone wake me up from this nightmare please...

Yes, I'm serious.  The proof that he is the better blocker is that he is on the field instead of Wes.  When Hernandez went down the offense changed Welker was on the field and targeted often. 

Oh, you're one of those that believe BB wants to put the weaker team on the field to prove a point (although no one can seem to show me the point) and risk losing.  The Pats are a successful team.  I'll put my faith on the people who practice daily and evaluate talent daily, they have a pretty good track record.

/QUOTE]

Yes of course because the Pats have NEVER made a poor decision as it relates to talent.  Also, don't assume.  I am not in the camp Welker is not in there to prove some point.  Welker is not in there because Josh McDaniel has his head up his ***.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

/QUOTE]

Yes of course because the Pats have NEVER made a poor decision as it relates to talent.  Also, don't assume.  I am not in the camp Welker is not in there to prove some point.  Welker is not in there because Josh McDaniel has his head up his ***.

[/QUOTE]

Of course the Pats make mistakes, every team does, but I like their overall track record.

Now your outline of Welker's production verse Edelman's is spot on, and I get your reasoning, but the Pat's offense appears to be less dependent on the pass and feature more balance.  For those situations it seems they prefer Edelman.  If in obvious pass situations (two minute drills, coming from behind, etc.) Edelman still sees the bulk of snaps, I'll be surprised and scratching my head, also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It's funny how people dismiss what Welker has done.  And he hasn't lost a step like people think or want to point out in order to defend the team for not signing a long term contract with him.  Oh and age!?!?! Give me a break!  Tell Ed Reed and Ray Lewis they are too old.

BTW, Congrats to Welker for being the Patriots all time reception leader yesterday!!  And he isn't in your game plan? And he isn't signed to a long term contract after over performing his last contract, coming back faster, better stronger from a torn ACL injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

/QUOTE]

Of course the Pats make mistakes, every team does, but I like their overall track record.

Now your outline of Welker's production verse Edelman's is spot on, and I get your reasoning, but the Pat's offense appears to be less dependent on the pass and feature more balance.  For those situations it seems they prefer Edelman.  If in obvious pass situations (two minute drills, coming from behind, etc.) Edelman still sees the bulk of snaps, I'll be surprised and scratching my head, also.

Well not sure how that's going to work as it seems to be a clear signal to the opposing defense.  If edelman is in its a run, if Welker is in its pass.

Plus I am not sold at all that edelman is a better blocker or even if he is that he is THAT important to the run game that they need him in there over Welker.  The run game is succesful based on the RB, the O-line, blocking TE's, abiltiy to mix up pass/run, and then the WR blocking.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

Well not sure how that's going to work as it seems to be a clear signal to the opposing defense.  If edelman is in its a run, if Welker is in its pass.

Teams shuffle various packages all the time. The D knows often knows the type of play, the question is can they defend it?

Also, did you see Fitzgerald blocking out there yesterday? It made a difference.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I guess all of the OTA's, Camp, Preseason and practices weren't enough for the coaches to see that Edelman is a better blocker than Welker?

But some of you can just by watching games on tv?

WOW!  You guys really are good.

Edelman made the team over Branch, Stallworth and Gaffney.  He must be something right to earn a place in the offense.  Not just Special teams.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

I guess all of the OTA's, Camp, Preseason and practices weren't enough for the coaches to see that Edelman is a better blocker than Welker?

But some of you can just by watching games on tv?

WOW!  You guys really are good.

Edelman made the team over Branch, Stallworth and Gaffney.  He must be something right to earn a place in the offense.  Not just Special teams.

Not so sure about this.  Branch has done more and can offer more to the Patriots offense then Edelman can.  I like Edelman due to his do anything, play anything approach and I think this is why the Pats lean his way when it came to Branch, Gaffney and Stallworth.  Well that pluys age but clearly, Edelman hasn't done anything on offense to help this team where Branch has over the years.  I still think Branch offers a better option as a route runner and ability to get open.  So it really blows my mind why Edelman is replacing Welker for crying out loud.

It's not blocking, Edelman is not a better blocker then Welker, that's crazy to even think that.

Others tend to agree...

Greg A. Bedard @GregABedard

.@PatriotsDaily Edelman is not a better run blocker than Welker. If anything, they're about the same.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Patsman3 making some serious good points.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Teams shuffle various packages all the time. The D knows often knows the type of play, the question is can they defend it?

Also, did you see Fitzgerald blocking out there yesterday? It made a difference.

Of course the fact that Welker was in on 43 snaps and Edelman was in for only 23 snaps during Week 1 when Ridley ran for 125 yards sure shows how much the running game needs Edelman in there over Welker......

In response to TFB12's comment:

Patsman3 making some serious good points.

Thanks TFB.  I am amazed as you are with this Edelman over Welker thinking.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

To say there is nothing at work here is ignoring the obvious. 

Impossible to say if this has something to do with minor injuries or disciplinary action or some perceived fall off, but the fact remains that Welker led the league in catches last year with 122 and has avergaed about 111 during his time here. That's a lot of catches. He makes 9 million a year and there is a well publicized issue regarding his contract status. 

Edelman is a barely used receiver who had 11 catches over the past two seasons. He has become known only because he played some d-back, is an ex college quarterback, returns punts, and plays on other special teams, and is white.

In his limited time on the field edelman has dropped too many easy passes and it was obvious neither Brady nor the coaching staff had much confidence in him as a receiver. Nothing special on a team like this. Not an easy place to get consistent time as a younger player.  

Welker on the other hand has been a pro bowl caliber player and Brady's go to guy since his arrival here.

With that said, Welker is right there in league leading number of drops the past few years, as are many of the guys who are targeted the most and wind up with the most catches (Larry Fitzgerald is a huge exception). Welker finished 45th in best catch percentage and had a league leading 14 drops in 2011. For the last three years he is second in the number of drops (32) behind Brandon marshall (35). As an aside, Welker was not in the bottom fifteen in percentage from 08-10, though Randy Moss (26 drops) and terrell Owens were. Also, Deion Branch and Jabbar Gafney were both in the top 15 for best percentages during that time. 

Not sure that any of this proves anything and obviously there are other factors involved in the position (route running, separation ability, blocking, etc.), but I will say that there have been times when the Patriots have seemed intent to make moves based on outside factors and long term strategic planning at the expense of a current teams' roster and success in the short term. Now, it's almost impossible to argue with this thinking in theory, and with their overall success as a franchise in the past decade, though there is also something to be said for simply getting another ring. Before, there was a possibility of them getting two more before Brady retired, but it's looking more and more like they better do what they can to get one more. The window gets smaller as every year passes and Brady gets closer to finishing his career. The possibility of another franchise quarterback walking through the door after that is probably pretty slim. 

One thing is for sure - with Hernandez out (and no other legit WRs currently on the roster) we're going to see a lot of these two and there'll be plenty of opportunity to evaluate them both. I for one think edelman can help this team and have advocated some more playing time for him since last season, though I did not anticipate it coming at the expense of Welker being on the field, not starting etc. Will be interesting to see how this plays out - usually with this team where there is smoke there is fire and at the very least this would not seem to bode well for Welker's future here. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

[/QUOTE]

Of course the fact that Welker was in on 43 snaps and Edelman was in for only 23 snaps during Week 1 when Ridley ran for 125 yards sure shows how much the running game needs Edelman in there over Welker......

[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I didn't realize the play involvement ratio was so Welker heavy week one, which makes me wonder, even more so, what's the fuss?  In one game for two series Edelman gets the snaps as opposed to Welker,  and people think there is a conspiracy.  Maybe BB saw a match up advantage in this game involving Edelman, maybe in practice Edelman showed something in the run game Welker didn't; we'll never know.  What we do know is the Pats lost a game they should have won, now there's a lot of finger pointing by supposed fans and mountains are being made of molehills.  And somewhere Felger is smiling.

I'll take Zolak's analysis over Bedard's, thanks very much.  Bedard likes Welker, of course he's going to defend Welker over a BB decision.

Edelman is the better blocker.  Pretty clear. Welker is a dwarf.

That's hilarious since Zolak is a huge Brady fan. Oh wait, you pick and chose who you prefer to listen to based on whether or not they agree with your postion. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts