This Welker BS has to stop!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: This Welker BS has to stop!!

I would like to know how many times Welker would have been out there or been targeted had over Edelman had Hernandez not gone down.  We will never know that but still... Welker needs to be out on that field a whole heck of a lot more then Edelman does.  Edelman isn't a better blocker and just having Welker out there will open up more things for the Patriots offense, just by being a threat.  Defenses do not worry about Edelman and still Edelman can not come up with a meaninful play.

Josh talks like Edelman deserves to be out there because the hard work he puts in.  Well this isnt Pop Warner Football, it's the NFL!  You put players on the field based on who will help you win a game, and Edelman is not that guy.  When was the last time Edelman contributed to a win?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Those of us who love Welker should realize.... in 20 years he will be most remembered for the drop rather than his great play for us in general. Unless of course he does something spectacular to wipe that stigma away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Those of us who love Welker should realize.... in 20 years he will be most remembered for the drop rather than his great play for us in general. Unless of course he does something spectacular to wipe that stigma away.

[/QUOTE]

In 20 years, for those of us who love TFB I will be thinking... If only the pass to Welker would have been better!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would like to know how many times Welker would have been out there or been targeted had over Edelman had Hernandez not gone down.  We will never know that but still... Welker needs to be out on that field a whole heck of a lot more then Edelman does.  Edelman isn't a better blocker and just having Welker out there will open up more things for the Patriots offense, just by being a threat.  Defenses do not worry about Edelman and still Edelman can not come up with a meaninful play.

Josh talks like Edelman deserves to be out there because the hard work he puts in.  Well this isnt Pop Warner Football, it's the NFL!  You put players on the field based on who will help you win a game, and Edelman is not that guy.  When was the last time Edelman contributed to a win?

[/QUOTE]
    He made the team over Branch, stalworth. Gaffney and a slew of others.
    Reiss and others said he was one  of the best at camp.

Just because you love Welker, doesn't mean you have to slam Edelman.

Besides, he is not taking Welkers snaps, Ridley is.  More running=less passing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In 20 years, for those of us who love TFB I will be thinking... If only the pass to Welker would have been better!

[/QUOTE]

You may be thinking that. But the world won't. Tom has FAR greater accomplishments than Wes to put something like that out of memory. Besides. QBs miss a pass all the time. Drops are far less frequent.

Dood, you REALLY need to change your name. It's very misleading.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You may be thinking that. But the world won't. Tom has FAR greater accomplishments than Wes to put something like that out of memory. Besides. QBs miss a pass all the time. Drops are far less frequent.

[/QUOTE]

Just because I'm a Brady fan it isn't going to cloud my judgement.  What's fair is fair in my eyes.  The Pass to Welker could have been a lot better.  Does Welker catch that pass?  Yes, most times.  But I have no problem admitting the pass from Brady was a very bad pass.  I expect much better from TFB!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just because I'm a Brady fan it isn't going to cloud my judgement.  What's fair is fair in my eyes.  The Pass to Welker could have been a lot better.  Does Welker catch that pass?  Yes, most times.  But I have no problem admitting the pass from Brady was a very bad pass.  I expect much better from TFB!!

[/QUOTE]

Okay, fine, it was a bad pass. Still hit him in both hands and he dropped it. Nothing will change that. Meanwhile Tom has 3 rings and Wes has none. Who is worse off?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Made the team over Branch due to age and ST's would be my guess.  Certainly not because he is a better receiver then Branch. We hear about practices but like I said earlier, last I checked winning in practice doesn't count towards your league record.  On the field in real games Edelman can not get open and is a poor pass route runner.  Branch can get open, is a better route runner and is pretty much always on the same brain wave as TFB.  As for Welker, Edleman shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.  It's nigh and day! 

As for Riddley, I can care less if he gets the ball more causeing Welker to get less targets.  At least Welker is in there and the defense has to play Welker.  How can you not understand this?  Welker being on the field helps all other aspects of the game and field. 

As for the love comment, It has nothing to do if I am a fan of Welkers or not, it's what he does for the team that makes me defend him.  You want to win ball games, get Welker on the field, not Edelman!!  So stop acting like Edelmans mother, he really isn't that good!  Plain and Simple!!  He does no cause the defenses any concern, he can't run routes, can't get open so why have him out there?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Made the team over Branch due to age and ST's would be my guess.  Certainly not because he is a better receiver then Branch. We hear about practices but like I said earlier, last I checked winning in practice doesn't count towards your league record.  On the field in real games Edelman can not get open and is a poor pass route runner.  Branch can get open, is a better route runner and is pretty much always on the same brain wave as TFB.  As for Welker, Edleman shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.  It's nigh and day! 

As for Riddley, I can care less if he gets the ball more causeing Welker to get less targets.  At least Welker is in there and the defense has to play Welker.  How can you not understand this?  Welker being on the field helps all other aspects of the game and field. 

As for the love comment, It has nothing to do if I am a fan of Welkers or not, it's what he does for the team that makes me defend him.  You want to win ball games, get Welker on the field, not Edelman!!  So stop acting like Edelmans mother, he really isn't that good!  Plain and Simple!!  He does no cause the defenses any concern, he can't run routes, can't get open so why have him out there?

[/QUOTE]  Guess BB is either Edelmans momma or he totally disagrees with you.

I tend to trust his judgement 99% of the time.  If he thinks Edelman is good enough to start, than he is.  Plain and simple.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Edelman's combine times in the 3-cone drill were actually better than Welker's.  This should be combined with the fact that Edelman is bigger than Welker, so that Edelman can actually run-block a little and get off the line of scrimmage better than Welker, a real problem these days for Welker.  Finally, someday Edelman is going to put the football behind his ear and toss a 20 yard pass downfield to a wide-open Brandon Lloyd.

Edelman learns new positions faster than anybody on the Patriots team.  Edelman learns every day from the world's best in-out route runner, who is Welker.  Eventually Edelman can possibly surpass Welker.  Is this the year?

Welker is 30.   Perhaps the Patriots don't want to sign Welker to a long term contract because they know all the inside dope about Welker's knee. Is Welker limited?

It's possible that Welker needs to be platooned every three plays because he loses power quickly these days.  Keeping him fresh means that he's more open. 

It's possible that limiting Welker's time early in the season makes him available during postseason. 

Welker is still this legend who caught 120 passes every year.  Keep him fresh and win games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That being said,  I think Edelman earned  some time on the field.  From all accounts he had a great off-season.  He's done everything asked of him.  Played Special teams, wide receiver, defensive back.  Don't know why everyone is so down on him.

[/QUOTE]

Because he just isn't that good.  He can not run routes or get open and is a zero threat to the defense.  To be honest, I don't even like him returning punts!!  No doubt he is a hard worker, do anything type of guy but he just isnt really good at any one position and other teams know this.   I have no idea why the Pats have such a hard on for him.

[/QUOTE]

If he wasn't any good he wouldn't be in there.

Do you really think that BB and McD have no idea what they're doing? 

You don't see what Edelman does in practice and the film room. 

But from your unbiased and unprofessional opinion he isn't any good at anything.

OK, I'll go with that.

I still think you should donate that Welker jersey of yours to the Goodwill when the season is over.

Root for the team.  Not a name on a jersey.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I find it hilarious that some are bagging on Edelman. There should be a pink hat section here.  Good punt returner and a solid receiver when on the field.  Why do people act like this guy is a top target of Brady with the personnel in front of him?

Just flat out bizarre and irrational logic.  It's like people are personally offended that another good option for Brady has surfaced.  Ugh.
    [/QUOTE]

Good one Rusty! There is 'bagging' on a few individual players in particular here, for the loss. Edelman, Welker, Woody, Gostkowski. Just think if Gronk - a young player - had not made a mental mistake of interfering on the Woodhead TD, the conversation here would be a lot different. Woody was already 2 strides ahead on that play. I agree with the call but it could have gone the other way. Woodhead would be the hero not a goat.
    Then, just 2 plays before that, Gronk was double covered in the endzone for the go ahead TD and Brady thread the needle and put it right on the numbers and he drops it!

If that Happened the boys would be talking about how great Gostkowski was for the 4 FGs, how smart Woody was in playing the handoff beautifully, how Welker always loosens up the D by his presence etc etc.

BTW, earlier Brady threw a 55 yarder to Gronk, right off his hands. Some say that pass was bad, not by me, it showed that Brady still has the long ball arm. You gotta loosen up a bit on Brady, Rusty. I like most here -even before the game- still have a positive level of confidence going in with Brady as the Pats QB. No?

Have a good night ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I find it hilarious that some are bagging on Edelman. There should be a pink hat section here.  Good punt returner and a solid receiver when on the field.  Why do people act like this guy is a top target of Brady with the personnel in front of him?

Just flat out bizarre and irrational logic.  It's like people are personally offended that another good option for Brady has surfaced.  Ugh.

[/QUOTE]

I like Edelman but it seems laughable to say that he is a better reciever than Welker even if he did have a good preseason. Despite Welker coming off the bench and a terrible drop he was still probably their best reciever. Gronk just had a bad day, that's all it happens.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Edelman's combine times in the 3-cone drill were actually better than Welker's. 

[/QUOTE]

There it is folks, Bench Welker for good and keep Edelman in all game.  Of all places you make this comment???  If combine scores determined greatness  I guess there would be no TFB!!!

So last Sunday Edelman had more snaps then Welker yet Welker had the more productive day.  What does that say to all the Edelman supporters.  This argument is crazy!  If you really think Edelman gives this team a better chance of winning then Welker does then Lord help us all!  We won't see another SB for a long time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

But from your unbiased and unprofessional opinion he isn't any good at anything.

OK, I'll go with that.

I still think you should donate that Welker jersey of yours to the Goodwill when the season is over.

[/QUOTE]
     Let me tell you something that apparently you do not know.... There isn't a few people here who's mind is blown about the Edelman decision, just look all around you on sports sites, twitter, tv, there are many, many, many people who's mind is blown about this.  Just because he is BB doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes.  He makes them, and you are fooling yourself if you don't think so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

I am sure you are aware TFB that these boards are not a fairly accurate cross section of Patriot fans. Very few Pat fans think Edleman is better than Welker (and I like Edelman a lot). Other than here have you ever heard a sober Pat fan say Mallet is better than Brady? Belichek wants to win and this weird expirement will go by the wayside soon enough if Edelman can't catch anything down the field.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

OK, I'll go with that.

[/QUOTE]
     Let me tell you something that apparently you do not know.... There isn't a few people here who's mind is blown about the Edelman decision, just look all around you on sports sites, twitter, tv, there are many, many, many people who's mind is blown about this.  Just because he is BB doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes.  He makes them, and you are fooling yourself if you don't think so.

[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm aware of what the media is saying and the fact that you're listening to that crap says more about you than it does about me.

Let it go man.  There's no conspiracy.

Also, I don't think anyone is saying that Edelman is better than Welker.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

OK lets look at reality, Welker is great, we know that. Welker did not sign a team friendly contract in Off-Season. Right? Gets his 9 million this year, Right. Franchise tag next season is estimated at 11 million. He's gone going into next season.

It only makes sense for BB to see what Edelman has, this is the future. Also helps Welker to stay more fresh as this season goes forward. This Offense as I see it is evolving, trying to be more of a complete Offense. Pass + Run not just for Balance, but more Quality Plays.

This is Welkers last season here enjoy it. BB wont negotiate another Contract with him or his Agent going forward, this is business the way the Pats do things here. From what I heard this morning on the D+C show, BB gave him Franchise Tag, so they could look long term and save money on this years Cap. Money that could have been used to maybe sign Waters. Welker didn't do it, so that where we stand. One thing about BB he doesn't forget, so enjoy WW last year here, and hope we win a SB with him.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of this, except if Welker showed interest in a team-friendly contract going forward then I think BB would consider it.  I don't think he's that vindictive.  Otherwise, I agree that Welker is likely gone, and since Edelman is a FA as well the Pats need to see what he's capable of.  How?  By actually giving him a shot at playing time, which he's apparently earned according to guys like Reiss, backed up by comments from Josh McDaniels.  

Edelman may not be a better option than Welker, but he has his own unique skills that many posters on this board have hoped would be utilized.  Welker will get his, and McDaniels is trying to develop Edelman at the same time.  This is no slight against Welker, just reality that he and the team are most likely going to part ways due to differences of opinion about his value.  Business is business. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Josh McD speaks like he has 12 games wrapped this season already. It's 2, and last game his adjustments, play calling were a D grade at best. 

Whatever the reasons for this experiment with minimizing Wes's play- I don't believe McD public statements.

Count me in the Wes camp with starting the man and playing him for as many snaps as possible .  Looking forward to the Ravens game- I'd like to see Wes start and finish the game.

And play a whole lot of time in between.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

If Edelman gave this team a better chance to win then Welker does then I would be all for Edelman playing more snaps, starting, etc..... BUT HE DOESN"T!  Plain and simple!  I don't care if he had a "knock out camp", or his "combine times in the 3-cone drill" were better then Welkers, LOL!!  Come on, the proof is on the field!  The Game field, not the practice field!!

The bottom line is... Edelman doesn't put any fear into defenses, defenses don't have to game plan around him, and he still can't get open and make an impact in the game.  Welker puts fear into defenses, defenses game plan around him, defense double him up, he is a threat which opens up the run game, the long ball, the middle field to the TE's... and Welker still gets opens, still gets receptions, still gets yards and still impacts the game. ...Edelman does not do that!! Thats it!! Thats all this is about!!  Edelman does not help this team win, Welker does.. sorry to hurt you Edelman fans feelings but it's the truth!!

How many times do I have to repeat myself before you Edelman fans realize this?  Also, I believe it is a mute point now because with AH81 out, the Patriots should stop this nonsense and be making Welker a huge part of the game plan.  If not then it is a huge mistake, HUGE!!!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts