This will be a make or break year for Hightower

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

This will be a make or break year for Hightower

If im not mistaken, he played both DE and LB in college. His versatility is what BB loved the most from what I remember. Two years in and he hasn't really shown any of it.

If Browner and Revis return to their 2011 form, then this will give BB opportunity to give more disguised looks. Hightower/Collins are the two guys that I expect to see move around a lot across the line since they played many positions in college.

No more cookie cutter base defenses...I expect BB will feel more comfortable going back to the Super Bowl years where he could disguise everything on the defense...Hightower is a player that should be able to thrive

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: This will be a make or break year for Hightower

Hightower had a very good rookie season. very good. showed signs of a ton of potential.

took a step back last year after being put out of place and losing two D leaders (Mayo, VW)

he will be fine

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I thought Hightower played really well the last quarter of the season. I hope he can build off those games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

What are you talking about? Hightower has been a solid player and has developed with experience. I think he will be getting comparisons to McGinest in another year or two. But he is certainly a solid player, coachable and sound instincts. Great size, good strength.

He is not built to be Bruski, more like a McGinest. We will see how good he gets but there is no make or break here. He is here to stay as long as he does not ask for more in his next contract than he is worth. That is always the bottom line.

Anyway, this guy has talent. He will be a key player in a strong front seven if we can build the DL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I thought Hightower played really well the last quarter of the season. I hope he can build off those games.

Yes, he did. He's not the huge, pass rushing OLB that BB envisioned. But, he's a very good, solid ILB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

No it won't.  He already made it. A 270 pound guy stepped in at mlb out of position and lead the defense. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

No it won't.  He already made it. A 270 pound guy stepped in at mlb out of position and lead the defense. 

He's going to thrive in Spikes spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

If im not mistaken, he played both DE and LB in college. His versatility is what BB loved the most from what I remember. Two years in and he hasn't really shown any of it.

If Browner and Revis return to their 2011 form, then this will give BB opportunity to give more disguised looks. Hightower/Collins are the two guys that I expect to see move around a lot across the line since they played many positions in college.

No more cookie cutter base defenses...I expect BB will feel more comfortable going back to the Super Bowl years where he could disguise everything on the defense...Hightower is a player that should be able to thrive

I dont think he took ANY step backwards. Our DTs were hurt and their replacements not all that good. There was no releif for either DE. Making matters worse there was a big gap in losing Mayo.

Bottom line was that if he didnt look as good to you it was because of the missing talent in front of him and with his fellow LBs replacement.

This guy played well last year and will be even better this year.

WHEN they upgrade the players in front of him we will have a very strong LB corp in part because of him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Collins is the guy who I think will play off the hook this year, especially with the guys we added to the secondary. I think this guy can do it all...hard to believe we may be able to run two guys with height out there (Browner and Collins) who can cover. Honestly I think we will see Collins as a pass rusher this year too...few guys are as explosive as him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Hightower is fine right now. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

+1.  He came on strong at the End.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

Led the D in getting burned by Jeff Cumberland?  What did he lead that D in that gave up almost 5 yards per run?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Hightower is a stud..this year he will fully blossom...I'm sure that's why BB jettisoned "Rails of Coke for Santa" man....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I have high expectations of Hightower and they are very realistic.  He will be asked to do less this year with the return of Mayo, and you can bet will be put in a position to do what he does best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

With Spikes gone, Hightower will play MLB and be asked to travel north-south since you have heat seeking LBs like guaranteed 100 tackles, if he stays healthy, Mayo and Collins flying all-over the place.

Add Woodward and New England has the best LB corps in the NFL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I think his versatility is what hurt him the most. He did a lot this past year, including play a ton out of position, which he got burnt at times.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

Led the D in getting burned by Jeff Cumberland?  What did he lead that D in that gave up almost 5 yards per run?

You are more than a fool. You dont have a clue as to who plays what for NEw England. You dont know a thing about their roles and resspponsibilities. You think football is on par with baseball as a team sport.

How did you do in the SB this year? Embarrassing to see the way THAT team played. How did your Jets do last year? Get a life and if you are going to comment on something at least have the slightest clue.

Sections
Shortcuts