this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...

in spite of the labor situation... when I think about the pats.. and what they have done in the draft the last three years... I get a big smile thinking of the team for this coming year... over the last 3 years bill has completely rebuilt the team with all kinds of talent...throught the draft, undrafted free agents and free agents... all while keeping good to great team oriented core veterans...

and it showed last year by the team going 14-2.... though we bowed out early because of a good job by rex....(theres no doubt he confused brady...though we didnt help our own cause early in the game) I cant help but be enthusiatic about the new "pieces" we just brought in.... two young stud running backs... a big, fast, hard hitting corner... a young qb with unlimited potential... two massive offensive lineman.... and Im sure there will be some ufa's (herzlich anyone) that will come in and make the team with very limited roster spots...

lets get ready for some football people... we are gonna be good for some time to come....  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...

Rex didn't confuse Brady. Sanchez confused a very confused D.

I wouldn't call the 2009 draft a bumper crop by any means. 2010 was good, but no stud rusher. And 2011 is yet to be determined, but no pick from a draft loaded with front 7 guys on D despite having 6 picks in the first 2 rounds.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I,m with Killa on this one. You need to protect Brady if Light is gone. There were maybe 4 or 5 defensive players I wanted the Pats to draft in the 1st (Dareus, Watt, Miller, Peterson) and I knew full well they'd be gone by 17. If they trade up the could lose Mallett or Dowling. Cannon was considered good value in the low 2nd or high 3rd and look at where we got him. Mallett has the skills, but he needs to learn more; his stock dropped (like Hernandez a little) because of things he did in college. Now it's grown up time or be out of the league in two years. You can bet all these draftees are elated to be playing with Brady and for a team that is a contender. Yeah i would have like to have seen a pass rusher drafted, but with 3 thirty-somethings on O Line (some without contracts for 2011). Kazcur could be done, Light and/or Mankins might not being back, therefore, a partial overhaul of the offensive line might not have been the sexy thing to do (Drafting  Ingram being a sexier option), but ultimately had to be done. Protecting Brady is still a huge priority.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...:
    [QUOTE]Babe you do realize that by the time the Pats picked at 17 there had already been 8 pass rushers drafted. So BB had the choice between the 2nd best OT in the draft which is normally a top 5 pick or the 9th best pass rusher and he went with the 2nd best OT. And oh yea we needed O linemen just as bad so it was a GREAT draft pick. And he drafted Cunningham in round 2 last year. I dont know why he passed up Cam Jordan but clearly he didnt want him. The last 3 drafts have been solid even the "experts" think so. The defense is getting better each year which is all you can ask for from such a young group of player. (Youngest team in the NFL last year)
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

BB could have packaged the 17 and 33 to move up and take Quinn, then took Carimi at 28.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

A couple of comments.

There were very few good DEs in this draft that would be better than the ones we have.  The DL was on the IR for the playoff game and that hurt.  Getting folks off the streets and practice squads to start a playoff game is not going to bring very good results.

The OLB does concern me however and am having a hard time understanding it.

The last 3 drafts have been more than solid.  Jumping the gun a little bit on this draft.  Okay, a lot.

I have brought this up before and didn't get much of a response.  Does anybody else think the Pats were blocked out of trading up?  Last year they were all over the place in the 2nd round and I thought they would try it again.  The only movement made was if a team wanted to trade with them.  Not the other way around.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

The Pats had a good draft but I don't think we will see much production out of the rookies this year.  The 2011 crop should develop into solid contributors for 2012 but the lockout will stunt the immediate growth of these young players.  Of the Pats 2011 draft class I see 3 or 4 players contributing. 

NFL Running back is one of the easier positions to transition into from college so I see Shane Vareen and Stevan Ridley as potential contributors.  However, they will start off at the bottom of the depth chart in a solid running back stable.

I really hope Nate Solder develops into a solid contributor this year but I think the lockout is hurting him the most.  He is missing out on valuable time with Donte Scarnechia.  He also need to develop NFL strength.  Solder has a powerful base but needs to work on his upper body strength (only 21 reps on bench - I know he has long arms but still!).

Ras I Dowling will have the luxury of developing behind some very solid players in Devin McCourty and Leigh Bodden.  I don't know much about Virginia's football program but apparently there are some similarities in defensive scheme, so Ras I may come in with a slight advantage.  That beeing said, I don't know who Dowling would surplant.  He may be too tall to play the slot.  I like the line up of McCourty and Bodden on the outside with Arrignton in the slot.  If Ras I can push for playing time then that would mean that he developed rapidly, which would be great for the Pats.

I don't really see any other rookie contributing this year.  If (cross your fingures for this kid) Cannon can fully recover this year and regain his strength then he may see a some playing time.  What a story that would be!

I think Lee Smith and Markell Carter will be red shirted this year, much like Taylor Price was last year.  I hope these guys will be ready to contribute by 2012.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...:
    [QUOTE]A couple of comments. There were very few good DEs in this draft that would be better than the ones we have.  The DL was on the IR for the playoff game and that hurt.  Getting folks off the streets and practice squads to start a playoff game is not going to bring very good results. The OLB does concern me however and am having a hard time understanding it. The last 3 drafts have been more than solid.  Jumping the gun a little bit on this draft.  Okay, a lot. I have brought this up before and didn't get much of a response.  Does anybody else think the Pats were blocked out of trading up?  Last year they were all over the place in the 2nd round and I thought they would try it again.  The only movement made was if a team wanted to trade with them.  Not the other way around.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

I was surprised the Pats didn't do any trading up as well.  My thought was they were either blocked or they didn't think much of the players in this draft.    I finally concluded Belichick really liked many players in the 2011 draft.  I came to this conclusion because of the players the Pats drafted that i would consider a little bit of a reach (Vareen, Ridley and possibly Lee Smith) - or players they took because of the value (Mallet & Cannon).  Belichick has been making a living in the second round for the past couple of years.   I just think he didn't see any pass rusher he really wanted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

No question that the lock out hurts.  UDFA and FA will feel the sting as well.  That means the quality of football will be down for part of the year and should be interesting to the NFL fan.

Corners are the other easy transition spot.  The talk is Bodden will move to cover the slot with Ras-I and McCourty on the wings.  This opens up Chung to be more Harrison like.  I'm looking forward to this!  This will help Cunningham to be more effective as well.

I believe Cannon will play some later in the year or if someone goes down.  He's a monster.

I don't know if the Pats have enough room on their roster to carry two red shirts.  Price was an exception.  I don't think Smith will make it.  Someone will pick him up.  Carter might make it threw.

I think you'll see the two RBs, Ras-I and Solder out there.  Cannon maybe later on although he may surprise.  His cancer was found very early.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I don't see Smith going through waivers or being put on the practice squad, too much of a risk...he is the new Crumpler....Crump is coming off major shoulder surgery & his contract is up after this year

Pats will either carry 4 TE's or Crump will start the season on PUP as he recovers from shoulder surgery or he'll be cut/traded....I'm guessing PUP for him & Bill to see how well Smith works as a blocking TE early on(he was supose to be the best blocking TE in the draft class & actually has VERY soft hands but was more known for his blocking ability....NO WAY Bill risks losing him....

Pats secondary looks awesome...& Warren & Wright coming back will be huge as well as the 2nd year guys knowing the system/NFL speed & what to expect...

With our high powered offense getting us an early lead.....
    Vereen & Ridley will be up to speed as the season wears on & when bad weather hits Ridley & BJGE will pound away at D-lines helping keep our D off the field & rested....less exposed

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

I'd be very surprised if Lee Smith isn't on the team.He was clearly the best blocking TE in this years draft and though he is never going to run the deep center seam route(that's Gronk and Hernandez country)he has very good hands a massive body and could well be an option of 3rd and 4 or 5.He was nearly as big a steal as Cannon in the fifth round(please God make Cannon's current prognosis after his first cancer treatment,which was extremely favorable,prove to be true ..the latest of which indicated to the doctors the cancer was gone).Cannon would have been a steal as a mid second to early third round selection and Lee would have been an excellent pick as a mid third to early fourth rounder.As I mentioned,he is huge,a technically and fundementally sound blocker on both the pass and run,has good hands,a love of the game and a more than sound work ethic,along with being a solid citizen.Give him  half or even a full season to become acclimated to the pro game and he becomes an integral part of maybe the deepest TE rotation in the league.I believe his presence could help free up Hernandez to run snaps as a WR.Yes,barring injury,I think he makes the team and contributes to some extent even as a rookie.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]A couple of comments. There were very few good DEs in this draft that would be better than the ones we have.  The DL was on the IR for the playoff game and that hurt.  Getting folks off the streets and practice squads to start a playoff game is not going to bring very good results. The OLB does concern me however and am having a hard time understanding it. The last 3 drafts have been more than solid.  Jumping the gun a little bit on this draft.  Okay, a lot. I have brought this up before and didn't get much of a response.  Does anybody else think the Pats were blocked out of trading up?  Last year they were all over the place in the 2nd round and I thought they would try it again.  The only movement made was if a team wanted to trade with them.  Not the other way around.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

The Skins pick was obviously available.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...:
    [QUOTE]in spite of the labor situation... when I think about the pats.. and what they have done in the draft the last three years... I get a big smile thinking of the team for this coming year... over the last 3 years bill has completely rebuilt the team with all kinds of talent...throught the draft, undrafted free agents and free agents... all while keeping good to great team oriented core veterans... and it showed last year by the team going 14-2.... though we bowed out early because of a good job by rex....(theres no doubt he confused brady...though we didnt help our own cause early in the game) I cant help but be enthusiatic about the new "pieces" we just brought in.... two young stud running backs... a big, fast, hard hitting corner... a young qb with unlimited potential... two massive offensive lineman.... and Im sure there will be some ufa's (herzlich anyone) that will come in and make the team with very limited roster spots... lets get ready for some football people... we are gonna be good for some time to come....  
    Posted by jcour382[/QUOTE]

It might be more impressive if we actually needed a RB or a QB. But we don't. What we needed most we didn't get.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

[QUOTE]  I'd be very surprised if Lee Smith isn't on the team.He was clearly the best blocking TE in this years draft and though he is never going to run the deep center seam route(that's Gronk and Hernandez country)he has very good hands a massive body and could well be an option of 3rd and 4 or 5.He was nearly as big a steal as Cannon in the fifth round(please God make Cannon's current prognosis after his first cancer treatment,which was extremely favorable,prove to be true ..the latest of which indicated to the doctors the cancer was gone).Cannon would have been a steal as a mid second to early third round selection and Lee would have been an excellent pick as a mid third to early fourth rounder.As I mentioned,he is huge,a technically and fundementally sound blocker on both the pass and run,has good hands,a love of the game and a more than sound work ethic,along with being a solid citizen.Give him  half or even a full season to become acclimated to the pro game and he becomes an integral part of maybe the deepest TE rotation in the league.I believe his presence could help free up Hernandez to run snaps as a WR.Yes,barring injury,I think he makes the team and contributes to some extent even as a rookie.
    Posted by kebbe[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. That's how you build a team with such low draft picks every year. Trade down, and take a chance on some potential game changers like Cannon when they drop to you. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : It might be more impressive if we actually needed a RB or a QB. But we don't. What we needed most we didn't get.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Do u even follow the Pats to say we didnt need RBs and a QB?  Qb was value, not need, maybe u meant that.  RB on the other hand, we had Woody signed and that is it, so we definitely needed RBs, and I know I didnt want the old crew of broken, breaking, and never was, back again.  I am not saying I didnt want a pass rusher, but BB knows more than we do. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : Do u even follow the Pats to say we didnt need RBs and a QB?  Qb was value, not need, maybe u meant that.  RB on the other hand, we had Woody signed and that is it, so we definitely needed RBs, and I know I didnt want the old crew of broken, breaking, and never was, back again.  I am not saying I didnt want a pass rusher, but BB knows more than we do. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm just sick and tired of the "In Bill we trust" nonsense. I don't. He has blown yet another draft.

RB has not been a problem for this team in so many years I can't remember.

We didn't need a RB, sure as hell not two, and we didn't need a QB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

agreed, RB was a huge NEED...BJGE is a restricted free agent(has a 2nd round tender on him now) & Woody was the only other RB worth still having on the team that is still under contract...desperatly needed youth,speed & power at that position for the offense to stay balanced & in case either BJGE or Woody gets hurt

mallett was an extreemly excellent value pick in the 3rd round... comes from a pro style offense & was captain of his team as well as having tons of raw talent & the ability to make every throw in the NFL....adds depth & with hoyers contract up next year & the posability of Brady getting hurt it was a very wise selection....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]agreed, RB was a huge NEED...BJGE is a restricted free agent(has a 2nd round tender on him now) & Woody was the only other RB worth still having on the team that is still under contract...desperatly needed youth,speed & power at that position for the offense to stay balanced & in case either BJGE or Woody gets hurt mallett was an extreemly excellent value pick in the 3rd round... comes from a pro style offense & was captain of his team as well as having tons of raw talent & the ability to make every throw in the NFL....adds depth & with hoyers contract up next year & the posability of Brady getting hurt it was a very wise selection....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]

A restricted FA isn't really a FA at all. RBs are a dime a dozen. And if Mallet is so hot why did he drop to the 3rd?

Stop making excuss for BB's blunders.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

We got Welker from Miami when he was  a restricted free agent....he had a 2nd round tender on him & we gave Miami that & a 7th to seal the deal....so your not correct on that...

You or I will NEVER know why he dropped for sure but word on the street is character issues & a media witch hunt because they didn't like him not addressing them about drug rumors at the combine interview....whatever the reason was i'm thankful for him falling to us....he put up CRAZY stats in the toughest conference in college football....

How can the RB & QB picks be blunders before they even played???
    Your dislike of BB does almost seem personal...Bill is perhaps the best coach in football as voted by experts & his peers...Gotta say I'm with them on this one...lets just say we agree to disagree & leave it at that & besides, YOU ARE WRONG!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]We got Welker from Miami when he was  a restrickted free agent....he had a 2nd round tender on him & we gave Miami that & a 7th to seal the deal....so your not correct on that... You or I will NEVER know why he dropped for sure but word on the street is character issues & a media witch hunt because they didn't like him not addressing them about drug rumors at the combine interview....whatever the reason was i'm thankful for him falling to us....he put up CRAZY stats in the toughest conference in college football....

If somebody wants to compensate us for BJGE, let him go. RBs are a dime a dozen these days.

As far as Mallet, word is he can't move in the pocket, which is a death wish in the much faster NFL. Brady on the other hand can't run for beans, but is one of the best at feeling the rush and shifting. Mallet will be another O'Connell and another wasted draft pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Babe....I get it, Brady is everything in your tiny little world & you want to have him breed you...enjoy!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

[QUOTE]I,m with Killa on this one. You need to protect Brady if Light is gone. There were maybe 4 or 5 defensive players I wanted the Pats to draft in the 1st (Dareus, Watt, Miller, Peterson) and I knew full well they'd be gone by 17. If they trade up the could lose Mallett or Dowling. Cannon was considered good value in the low 2nd or high 3rd and look at where we got him. Mallett has the skills, but he needs to learn more; his stock dropped (like Hernandez a little) because of things he did in college. Now it's grown up time or be out of the league in two years. You can bet all these draftees are elated to be playing with Brady and for a team that is a contender. Yeah i would have like to have seen a pass rusher drafted, but with 3 thirty-somethings on O Line (some without contracts for 2011). Kazcur could be done, Light and/or Mankins might not being back, therefore, a partial overhaul of the offensive line might not have been the sexy thing to do (Drafting  Ingram being a sexier option), but ultimately had to be done. Protecting Brady is still a huge priority.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Oh no they could've missed out on drafting a qb with character issues, WHEN THWY HAVE THE BEST QB IN THE GAME... that would've set the franchize back about 5 minutes...  What's this obsession with mallet ????  I don't get it.  You'd rather have a back up QB that won't play much the next 3 years over a D player that could significantly help the D now...  Am i the only one who gets it???  With that said I hope the pats just sign an OLB, that would then put an end to the "they didn't draft a rookie OLB" who will have tolearn a complicated d scheme in a lockout year.  Optimum situation is the draft they made plus an experienced and skilled olb in the $5 mill/per range.  this would put them over the top.

If you think a backup qb is more important then our terrible pass rush you need help tho.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Pats were second in creating interceptions.  Defensive yards are overrated while defensive points given up (minus the interceptions which often become positive points) are pretty fairly rated, and so the defensive blitzing wasn't all that bad.

I like Solder very much as a pick. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

When you focus on the playoff loss..the stats that concern you are a defense that created 0 turnovers and sacks.
    Where are the big plays on d ? There were not any. This is where you need some individual talent, not just scheme. Yopu will need some D stars to create plays..not just keep Sanchez under 200 yards passing (not hard).
    Also, for all the Pats big 3 TE's they were only 2-4 in the Red Zone, while the Jets were 4-5.
    Brady was confused..as a few of those sacks were him not getting the ball off quickly or not throwing hot off unblocked rushers.
    So..jets had 5 sacks and one int. Pats had none.
    their D let them down again..like in just about all their recent postseason losses.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Babe....I get it, Brady is everything in your tiny little world & you want to have him breed you...enjoy!!!

I see when you can't back up your delusional and childlike understanding of the game with any facts, you resort to being an anal. Enjoy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

i disagree about your assessment of the 2009 draft. its already produced 2 really good starters (chung, seabass), edelman who is a star waiting to emerge, a good role player on the DL (pryor), and a top kick returner who still has a chance to emerge as a deep threat (tate). then there is butler and brace who have both been mostly disappointing so far but have talent and its way too early to count them out. i think thats a pretty good haul. if you look back at the contributions and level of play of all the teams 2009 draft i would say that the pats is right up there. the one asterisk i'll give is that this is the draft that we missed out on clay mathews and that was a huge mistake, we all know that. 

[QUOTE]Rex didn't confuse Brady. Sanchez confused a very confused D. I wouldn't call the 2009 draft a bumper crop by any means. 2010 was good, but no stud rusher. And 2011 is yet to be determined, but no pick from a draft loaded with front 7 guys on D despite having 6 picks in the first 2 rounds.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]