this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...

In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...:
    [QUOTE]i disagree about your assessment of the 2009 draft. its already produced 2 really good starters (chung, seabass), edelman who is a star waiting to emerge, a good role player on the DL (pryor), and a top kick returner who still has a chance to emerge as a deep threat (tate). then there is butler and brace who have both been mostly disappointing so far but have talent and its way too early to count them out. i think thats a pretty good haul. if you look back at the contributions and level of play of all the teams 2009 draft i would say that the pats is right up there. the one asterisk i'll give is that this is the draft that we missed out on clay mathews and that was a huge mistake, we all know that.  In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... :
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

I think you are overrating all those players. None have had an impact that makes me believe they are significant contributors to a SB winning D (or otherwise). Chung had a few games where he looked like he might have emerged but that faded rapidly. Maybe that was because of the injury, or maybe he is inconsistent. But the bottom line is as stated above. Most of this overrating stems from the misplaced BB worship. The endless excuses on his behalf cause persons to overestimate the players he has chosen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : If somebody wants to compensate us for BJGE, let him go. RBs are a dime a dozen these days. As far as Mallet, word is he can't move in the pocket, which is a death wish in the much faster NFL. Brady on the other hand can't run for beans, but is one of the best at feeling the rush and shifting. Mallet will be another O'Connell and another wasted draft pick.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Babe, I don't know what word you've heard, but your word is completely false. The reports on Mallet is that, while he is slow in a straight line sprint,  he has exceptional feel in the pocket and knows how to step up and avoid pressure (i.e. Tom Bradyesque).  Do a little research before posting.  And he fell in the draft due to unfounded rumors about character and drug use, of which no evidence has ever been presented by anyone (just some people saying he has these issues).  You're right in a sense that the Pats didn't need a QB (TB has several more exception years ahead of him), but the sane ones on this board (you know, those who understand football) believe he's an exceptional value as a third round pick and has the potential to extend the Pats winning ways for another 10 years after Brady's days are finished.  It's potentially a brilliant pick by BB and the Pats.  This is how long term winners are built, unlike the Jets/Redskins method of getting splashy, big name players that uninformed fans want to have.  But talking sense to you is useless.

We all know you hate BB and believe the world revolves around TB.  What's the problem, are you jealous of Gieselle?  Give the rest of us on this board a break.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Fancy-shamanski:I love the mallett pick up because:
    1) last year of hoyers contract
    2)guy comes from pro style offense in toughest college conference
    3)guy put up crazy stats 2 years in a row in that system
    4)guy can make every throw & has all the physical tools to be great in the NFL
    5)QB with greatest potential in the ENTIRE draft
    6)can learn under the Best QB & Coach in the league
    7)insurance against Brady getting hurt...could happen on any play(GOD FORBID)
    8)VALUE...what potential impact player could we have got instead in round 3 that is a sure fire bet to make an IMMEDITE impact thus making the mallett pick wrong at the time

Building a team is made up of 3 phases: DRAFT, FA PICKUPS, TRADES....the draft is just one piece of the puzzle, the other two aspects just can't be done yet.....maybe Bill is happy getting his injured guys back & feels confident his new 2nd+ year guys will be better.....Maybe bill has a plan to trade for someone.....maybe bill felt that with the posability of a long lockout that drafting a OLB in this draft & having him get minimal coaching in a complex system would be a waste....maybe bill has his sights on someone in next years draft....point being, Bill is the artist, let him paint the masterpiece!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

take a look at the first round of the 2009 draft. among non-qb's, there are only 3-5 players that are definitively better and more productive players than chung and vollmer, and they were 2nd round picks. thats not BB worship, thats fact. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : I think you are overrating all those players. None have had an impact that makes me believe they are significant contributors to a SB winning D (or otherwise). Chung had a few games where he looked like he might have emerged but that faded rapidly. Maybe that was because of the injury, or maybe he is inconsistent. But the bottom line is as stated above. Most of this overrating stems from the misplaced BB worship. The endless excuses on his behalf cause persons to overestimate the players he has chosen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

The Pat's will only go as far as Brady takes them. Upgrading LT and getting a monster sized RG (Cannon) who moves like a dancing bear (Have you seen this guy in person? He blocks out the sun.) will help keep Tom healthy and make the running game better.

Those of you who whine for a pass rusher ignore how porous the O line had become. BB fully understands a super O line is the key to winning... Remember the lost SB with the Giants...???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

[QUOTE]The Pat's will only go as far as Brady takes them. Upgrading LT and getting a monster sized RG (Cannon) who moves like a dancing bear (Have you seen this guy in person? He blocks out the sun.) will help keep Tom healthy and make the running game better. Those of you who whine for a pass rusher ignore how porous the O line had become. BB fully understands a super O line is the key to winning... Remember the lost SB with the Giants...???
    Posted by rainbowroosie[/QUOTE]

Yeah..I remember when the D couldn't make a play (once again) when it counted ..on the last drive to seal the win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : Babe, I don't know what word you've heard, but your word is completely false. The reports on Mallet is that, while he is slow in a straight line sprint,  he has exceptional feel in the pocket and knows how to step up and avoid pressure (i.e. Tom Bradyesque).  Do a little research before posting.  And he fell in the draft due to unfounded rumors about character and drug use, of which no evidence has ever been presented by anyone (just some people saying he has these issues).  You're right in a sense that the Pats didn't need a QB (TB has several more exception years ahead of him), but the sane ones on this board (you know, those who understand football) believe he's an exceptional value as a third round pick and has the potential to extend the Pats winning ways for another 10 years after Brady's days are finished.  It's potentially a brilliant pick by BB and the Pats.  This is how long term winners are built, unlike the Jets/Redskins method of getting splashy, big name players that uninformed fans want to have.  But talking sense to you is useless. We all know you hate BB and believe the world revolves around TB.  What's the problem, are you jealous of Gieselle?  Give the rest of us on this board a break.
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

Here's a little research for ya bucko. If you could get your head out of Hoodie's behind long enough to stop making excuses for his blunders you might find these things for yourself.

According to NFL Expert Dave Te' Thomas, Mallett is a major work in progress. "Whoever drafts him will need to make sure they have an outstanding offensive line to protect him," - scout.com

"He is too tall and too slow-footed to buy time in the pocket" - yahoo

"He forces throws. Makes bad decisions. He doesn't deal with pressure up the gut. His mechanics become sloppy when he has to roll out." - keiper

His “pocket mobility” is “a concern.” - Greg Cosell

"his accuracy is highly inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, and he struggles with mobility and has a hard time eluding pass rushers. Mallett is a bit of a statue in the pocket and doesn't create throwing lanes outside the tackle box when his receivers struggle to get open." walterfootball

" Is too easily rattled by pressure and struggles to sidestep the rush and maneuver in the pocket - cannot escape his own shadow.' - profootballweekly

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]take a look at the first round of the 2009 draft. among non-qb's, there are only 3-5 players that are definitively better and more productive players than chung and vollmer, and they were 2nd round picks. thats not BB worship, thats fact.  In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... :
    Posted by artielang[/QUOTE]

I wasn't addressing Vollmer who was a good pick. There are a few D guys who have played better than Chung who were drafted AFTER him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pjmj430. Show pjmj430's posts

sounds like all the stuff they said about brady... babe you should change your name... to babe-y 

you sound like steve from fallriver..... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : Here's a little research for ya bucko. If you could get your head out of Hoodie's behind long enough to stop making excuses for his blunders you might find these things for yourself. According to NFL Expert Dave Te' Thomas, Mallett is a major work in progress. "Whoever drafts him will need to make sure they have an outstanding offensive line to protect him," - scout.com "He is too tall and too slow-footed to buy time in the pocket" - yahoo "He forces throws. Makes bad decisions. He doesn't deal with pressure up the gut. His mechanics become sloppy when he has to roll out." - keiper His “pocket mobility” is “a concern.” - Greg Cosell "his accuracy is highly inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, and he struggles with mobility and has a hard time eluding pass rushers. Mallett is a bit of a statue in the pocket and doesn't create throwing lanes outside the tackle box when his receivers struggle to get open." walterfootball " Is too easily rattled by pressure and struggles to sidestep the rush and maneuver in the pocket - cannot escape his own shadow.' - profootballweekly

Sounds like  hes the next bledsoe.Drew was good but couldnt move  in the pocket.The pocket passer is a dead era got to be mobile.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : I think you are overrating all those players. None have had an impact that makes me believe they are significant contributors to a SB winning D (or otherwise). Chung had a few games where he looked like he might have emerged but that faded rapidly. Maybe that was because of the injury, or maybe he is inconsistent. But the bottom line is as stated above. Most of this overrating stems from the misplaced BB worship. The endless excuses on his behalf cause persons to overestimate the players he has chosen.

You are a blind man unfortunately. You got stuck on the fact we didn't get a pass rusher and you can't get over it. If you were making the head office decisons for this team the Pats would have to change their name to the Oakland Raiders. 

I'm hitting the ignore button. That's the one sure way to lock out the bs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : It might be more impressive if we actually needed a RB or a QB. But we don't. What we needed most we didn't get.

Yes we do need to develope a QB as Brady is not going to play forever, and Hoyer for as little he has played hasn't shown much except that he's strictly a back up QB, and at RB the Pats roster is thin at this position. Please take another name, you're insulting a great player.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : Sorry, I'm just sick and tired of the "In Bill we trust" nonsense. I don't. He has blown yet another draft. RB has not been a problem for this team in so many years I can't remember. We didn't need a RB, sure as hell not two, and we didn't need a QB.

Babe-Y,

Now you show your real lack of knowledgeabout this team in recent years when you make an ill informed statement about the RB position. We've not had a decent running game since Corey Dillon, and the position has been a constant problem, especially with Maroney not working out. It's obvious you can't or won't remember.

Hetchinspete.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : Babe-Y,   Now you show your real lack of knowledgeabout this team in recent years when you make an ill informed statement about the RB position. We've not had a decent running game since Corey Dillon, and the position has been a constant problem, especially with Maroney not working out. It's obvious you can't or won't remember. Hetchinspete.
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

Where you are off track here is in not realizing that this is now a QB dominated league. The running game is not the significant part of the game it has been in the past. 8 of the last 10 SBs have been won by teams with great QBs, not great RBs.

I think you will find the lack of winning SBs for the Pats tracks the demise of the D much more than anything to do with the running game.

Generally, the top rushing teams for some time now have not been the big winners. So I would say you are the one who is actually out of touch with today's NFL, not me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

If you can run the ball you don't need to worry about your D in the last 5 minutes of the game...you run it down their throats and never give them the ball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jayco. Show Jayco's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: this years draft, last years draft...and the year before that... : Here's a little research for ya bucko. If you could get your head out of Hoodie's behind long enough to stop making excuses for his blunders you might find these things for yourself. According to NFL Expert Dave Te' Thomas, Mallett is a major work in progress. "Whoever drafts him will need to make sure they have an outstanding offensive line to protect him," - scout.com "He is too tall and too slow-footed to buy time in the pocket" - yahoo "He forces throws. Makes bad decisions. He doesn't deal with pressure up the gut. His mechanics become sloppy when he has to roll out." - keiper His “pocket mobility” is “a concern.” - Greg Cosell "his accuracy is highly inconsistent, he has poor mechanics, and he struggles with mobility and has a hard time eluding pass rushers. Mallett is a bit of a statue in the pocket and doesn't create throwing lanes outside the tackle box when his receivers struggle to get open." walterfootball " Is too easily rattled by pressure and struggles to sidestep the rush and maneuver in the pocket - cannot escape his own shadow.' - profootballweekly

Gee, these sound an awful lot like those Borges comments condemning the Richard Seymour pick...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]If you can run the ball you don't need to worry about your D in the last 5 minutes of the game...you run it down their throats and never give them the ball.

And who are the successful teams that are doing that these days?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I have read a lot of comments on this board.  One thing I have not read is about the injuries to Brady.  He is coming off foot surgery.  He had knee surgery, shoulder issues, and is one hit away from another injury.  How many teams had a QB make it through the year without an injury?  I think BB made a smart move.  Take a flyer on a QB in the 3rd round.  What is the loss?  If he works out, the Patriots have a good backup QB.  If he does not, it was a 3rd round pick lost.
    As far as a pass rusher,  it takes all the off season and preseason for a player to begin to understand the BB defense.  How would a strike shortened off season affect this?  The players that the Patriots picked will either have a short learning curve or not be needed immediately. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

I think it's to early to be so obsessed with the draft picks. We don't know who the Pat's will pick up in free agency and trades. A couple of good signings will up grade our defense. It's just way to early to throw stones at what might or could have been. As for Mallet, let's see what he can do first before condeming him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

[QUOTE]Rex didn't confuse Brady. Sanchez confused a very confused D. I wouldn't call the 2009 draft a bumper crop by any means. 2010 was good, but no stud rusher. And 2011 is yet to be determined, but no pick from a draft loaded with front 7 guys on D despite having 6 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Babe - you are wrong on so many levels,  but lets just leave it to your opinion - which everyone has.

Brady was bouncing at shadows and never took the time to throw to open receivers v the Jests - FACT!

On the draft - needs on offense OL and RB and maybe a WR - which as another person wrote Hernandez could be that guy.

Sure we all wish for a pass rusher. 3 years in waiting. But BB trusts his young guys are getting better to know his system.

Will Ninko now be Vrabelesque? probably not. Will TBC be the 'Answer' also a likely no. Will Cunningham be better? With the lookout - who knows...

All I know is that I have liked the past 3 years drafts and after a 14-2 'rebuilding' year will continue to believe the Patriots are moving fwd in the right manner even picking 2 RBs and a QB.

IN BILL WE TRUST!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

having been a pats fan for such a long time... and an optimistic one at that... i started this thread because ... i think the pats are going to be a very good team in this upcoming year and for many years to come.... and i think a main reason for this is the last three years drafts...and how the team was totaly rebuilt...never losing a step in competetiveness...

its pretty obvious how good we were offnesively last year...now they added new young pieces to augment that... rb's, olineman, tightend....qb

so whether you like the picks or not.... whether you like the way bill builds his teams each year or not....(alot dont) thats all good....

for me...this team is gonna be good...(better than 14-2) well see...

so continue to debate amongst yourselves..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dna53. Show dna53's posts

Read a real good article on the patriots past draft picks http://60maxpowero.com/kids_061011.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I don't know about being better than 14-2, but I do believe they are becomming more play-off hardened as they gain experience as a unit both offensively & defensively.....Pats got a wicked tough schedule this year....I really don't care what they end up going as long as they get to the big game & win that.....
    Personally, I've loved the last three drafts as they have added tons of youth,speed,depth & talent on both sides of the ball in addition to adding high round picks for the following year....LIFE IS LOOKING BRIGHT IN PATRIOT NATION FOR YEARS TO COME!!!!!!

On a side note, I see Bill trading Brady down the line for a boatload of picks....probably after the 2013 season before 2014 starts....getting us 2-1sts,2-2nds,& several more over a 3 year period....Mallett will be the new Face of the Franchise for the next 10 years after learning under Brady durring that time & as the O-line steadily gets rebuilt with MASSIVE lineman to protect him(IE: Cannon & Solder)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]No question that the lock out hurts.  UDFA and FA will feel the sting as well.  That means the quality of football will be down for part of the year and should be interesting to the NFL fan. Corners are the other easy transition spot.  The talk is Bodden will move to cover the slot with Ras-I and McCourty on the wings.  This opens up Chung to be more Harrison like.  I'm looking forward to this!  This will help Cunningham to be more effective as well. I believe Cannon will play some later in the year or if someone goes down.  He's a monster. I don't know if the Pats have enough room on their roster to carry two red shirts.  Price was an exception.  I don't think Smith will make it.  Someone will pick him up.  Carter might make it threw. I think you'll see the two RBs, Ras-I and Solder out there.  Cannon maybe later on although he may surprise.  His cancer was found very early.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

This could be huge for the passing D, IMO as Chung is much better suited playing down hill, making plays on the football than he is trying to match up against slot receivers etc. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]If you can run the ball you don't need to worry about your D in the last 5 minutes of the game...you run it down their throats and never give them the ball.

First off, you need "your D" to allow you to have a lead...before you run it down thier throats the last 5 minutes of the game. We don't have a D like that, if we did, then we could try to run it down their throats:)